Poll: When will curved TVs die off? - Page 3 - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: When is the LAST year that curved TVs for the home will be offered? Or will it always be with us?
Always offered. They are here to stay as long as a technology like OLED is around that can support it. 16 22.22%
2013 11 15.28%
2014 22 30.56%
2015 13 18.06%
2016 5 6.94%
(Some later year) 5 6.94%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 82 Old 09-05-2013, 07:23 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Not dead by a long shot. *sigh*

http://www.engadget.com/2013/09/05/samsung-reveals-the-world-s-first-curved-uhd-tvs-at-ifa-2013/

Kit 4K (Database of 4K Displays), Kit 8K (Database of 8K Displays), Kit Display (General Display Information)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 82 Old 09-05-2013, 07:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 652 Post(s)
Liked: 934
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLPsajeeth View Post

Not dead by a long shot. *sigh*

http://www.engadget.com/2013/09/05/samsung-reveals-the-world-s-first-curved-uhd-tvs-at-ifa-2013/

No, I'm actually thinking more and more that the demise of curved will accelerate because of this.  Note that they're announcing a few flat monsterous 4K ones as well, and I really don't believe the public will buy this curved stuff in large numbers.

Java developers, when I saw what has been placed into Java 8 I was immediately reminded of how I've spent so much of my life trying to protect engineers from themselves. Lambda expressions are a horrible idea. Gentlemen: the goal isn't to make code readable for a competent mid-level engineer. The goal is to make code readable for a competent mid-level engineer exhausted and hopped up on caffeine at 3 am. What a disaster Java 8 is!
post #63 of 82 Old 09-06-2013, 08:08 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The curve looks strange on a 55" to me also. I doubt that many would prefer a curve vs. flat screen in that size. Curvature does, IMO, work on very large screens, where the location in a room you are sitting does not appreciably affect geometric distortion (or it becomes less noticeable). So, I believe this current crop of curved screens is an upsell device for very large screens in the future showroom. But if you want one now, it is there. I suspect that there is a prediction by manufacturers that screen size will increase to 90" or more and prices will drop drastically once the technology has solid footing, and then the curvature will make the smaller screens look very out of place, sort of like an 11" screen with a full 7.1, 1Kw audio surround system. The curve now is just in preparation for larger screens that will look more correct with the curve than a flat screen would. The flexibility of OLED may also be useful for transporting and installing it. Just as SD resolution and CRT hit a wall around 34", LCD and plasma are now showing their limits. I also believe the very large screen is not likely to be marketable for the majority of consumers, even with the curvature, but it will help to upsell from 55 to something larger in the OLED family.
post #64 of 82 Old 09-06-2013, 08:27 AM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1011
LCD and plasmas can get plenty big. There is not enough of a market beyond 80" that will help OLED acquire a foothold. If it's going to have any measure of success, 50-80" will be the sweet spot methinks.
post #65 of 82 Old 09-06-2013, 09:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

LCD and plasmas can get plenty big. There is not enough of a market beyond 80" that will help OLED acquire a foothold. If it's going to have any measure of success, 50-80" will be the sweet spot methinks.

I see the point, but it's hard to predict future mindsets though (regarding screen size).  Until very recently even I thought 60" was ridiculous in a home setting.  Now that I have one, it's fitting in perfectly.  And psychologically shrinks by the day.  :)

Java developers, when I saw what has been placed into Java 8 I was immediately reminded of how I've spent so much of my life trying to protect engineers from themselves. Lambda expressions are a horrible idea. Gentlemen: the goal isn't to make code readable for a competent mid-level engineer. The goal is to make code readable for a competent mid-level engineer exhausted and hopped up on caffeine at 3 am. What a disaster Java 8 is!
post #66 of 82 Old 09-06-2013, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
AND HERE COMES SONY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

65" Class (64.5" diag) S990A Curved LED HDTV
World's first curved LED TV.
The cinema comes home with the immersive experience of the world's first curved LED HDTV. This all-in-one cinema experience for your home combines a slight curve similar to movie theaters with more brilliant colors than ever before and a powerful angled speaker surround experience for the complete home theater like never before.

Not a bad seat in the house.
You'll be hosting the next big game at your house with the S990A. The slight curvature of the screen is engineered to produce a wider angle of visibility which will help your friends sitting at varying angles to see more and have a more comfortable view of the picture than traditional flat screens.

Features: World's first curved LED TV, brilliant color with TRILUMINOS, X-Reality™ PRO, slight curve allows for a wider viewing angle, multi-angle speakers, Dynamic Edge LED backlight, Motionflow™ XR 480, built-in Wi-Fi
Accepting Pre-orders
Estimated ship date: 10/27/2013
Free 2-day shipping on orders over $50 (excluding TVs over 46").
$4999.99

PREORDER
$3999.99
post #67 of 82 Old 09-06-2013, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

"not a bad seat in the house".  As the people on the left side about the left side of the screen.....(etc.)....

post #68 of 82 Old 09-06-2013, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 304 Post(s)
Liked: 215
LG just announced the 77" OLED curved 4K TV. Other than a marketing strategy I'm failing to see the point in curved technology, at least from what I've read here.
post #69 of 82 Old 09-21-2013, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy sullivan View Post

LG just announced the 77" OLED curved 4K TV. Other than a marketing strategy I'm failing to see the point in curved technology, at least from what I've read here.

Yes.  And Panasonic seems to have gone out of its way to announce flat OLED's recently.  Note: if their ink-jet style printing of these things actually takes off, I'm guessing it'll quickly be an enormous game changer.  Note to others: no, I'm not making any assumptions about it just being about dropping the OLED's down.

post #70 of 82 Old 09-21-2013, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 304 Post(s)
Liked: 215
It kind of looks like Panasonic is laying in the weeds waiting to stun the industry. Panny insiders seem to be very confident that they have the long term answer to mass producing affordable OLED's. I for one am pulling for them.
post #71 of 82 Old 09-22-2013, 01:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked: 628
I think you folks have a lot of wishful thinking about Panasonic.

Their manufacturing technology is simply even less ready than the other folks.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working. (Oh, and plasma didn't die because of logistics problems, nor does OLED ship in big boxes because it comes from Korea.)
post #72 of 82 Old 09-22-2013, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Rogo, what was your vote in the poll?

post #73 of 82 Old 09-23-2013, 03:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked: 628
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post

I'm pretty sure I voted 2015, though I'm not certain.

Given what has happened since the poll went live, though, I'm kind of now believing they'll be offered a long while, but very unpopular through their life. That is to say, so long as customers can choose a comparable flat set, they will in big numbers.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working. (Oh, and plasma didn't die because of logistics problems, nor does OLED ship in big boxes because it comes from Korea.)
post #74 of 82 Old 09-23-2013, 07:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post

I'm pretty sure I voted 2015, though I'm not certain.

Given what has happened since the poll went live, though, I'm kind of now believing they'll be offered a long while, but very unpopular through their life. That is to say, so long as customers can choose a comparable flat set, they will in big numbers.

I'm assuming that the factories that product the OLED "sheet" (<---? "substrate" doesn't seem right) can apply that to any curve needed after manufacture, so that there's no tremendous investment here for curved (or is this a bad assumption)?

post #75 of 82 Old 10-03-2013, 06:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked: 269
post #76 of 82 Old 10-03-2013, 06:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mile13 View Post

the future is bananas smile.gif

LOL.  The quote of the week.

In any case, I can't read that translated stuff.  Every other sentence could be taken to mean multiple things.  One part says the z phone will have a "fixed concave surface" and the other part says its "flexible".

All different from TVs however.

Sooner or later we'll see color e-ink displays as cheap to make as paper, and it'll be on cereal boxes, book covers, etc., etc., etc., all with paper thin batteries and hidden solar panels.  EDIT: I just realized that I came up with an e-ink usage for a physical book.  LOL....

post #77 of 82 Old 10-04-2013, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 164

Well, bananas ARE curved...

Though I am an employee of Magnolia Home Theater, the views and opinions I express on this forum are those of my own and not my employer.
post #78 of 82 Old 11-06-2013, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

A fun article, far crankier than even I am about this ridiculous concept.

http://www.techradar.com/us/news/television/why-curved-oled-tvs-are-a-bad-idea-1176000

He has an interesting point that really made me chuckle.  You have to sit right in the middle to not be distracted by the curve of the screen.  It will then look flat.  (LOL).

post #79 of 82 Old 12-19-2013, 01:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 29
post #80 of 82 Old 12-21-2013, 05:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yeah, it really looks like this thing just won't die off too soon.

Some have a theory that once volume pricing kicks in that they won't need to distract us with silly ideas.

I don't know.

This is just nutty.

post #81 of 82 Old 12-22-2013, 06:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked: 269
There are only a few things that you can do with a TV, curving, 16:9 and 21:9. The only thing that works and will sell is 16:9. They can curve and 21:9 whatever they want it won't sell and they know it.
post #82 of 82 Old 12-22-2013, 07:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mile13 View Post

There are only a few things that you can do with a TV, curving, 16:9 and 21:9. The only thing that works and will sell is 16:9. They can curve and 21:9 whatever they want it won't sell and they know it.

Well I have to admit that this is one weird trend that I would never ever have predicted.

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page