Will 60 fps games reduce motion blur? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2013, 08:34 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
rich2k4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 62
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have a 2007 sony 1080p tv that is 60hz. When I play a game and I pan or move the camera around, the environment and textures blur until i stop. It is one thing I have always hated about the tv.

I recently tried a newer LED that had the auto motion plus feature. I normally don't like this feature for movies because it gives the soap opera effect. However, I turned it on for games and it drastically reduced the motion blurring when moving the camera around. The environment and textures maintained the same level of detail as if the camera was sitting still. I loved it.

my understanding is that it takes the 30fps games and doubles them to make them imitate 60fps.

My question is, since next gen games are shooting for native 60 fps, will it reduce the motion blur on my 60 hz tv?
rich2k4 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-28-2013, 08:42 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Mark Rejhon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: North America
Posts: 8,125
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich2k4 View Post

My question is, since next gen games are shooting for native 60 fps, will it reduce the motion blur on my 60 hz tv?
Yes, it does.

See this TestUFO motion test animation comparing 30fps versus 60fps:
www.testufo.com/#test=framerates

(View the above link on a recent computer in either Chrome or IE10, or another supported browser.)

If you want to have further motion clarity improvements without input lag, you want to avoid interpolation. In this case, you want to consider either a plasma, or using a Sony LED HDTV with "Motionflow Impulse" which works in Game Mode (strobe backlight that is game-friendly, reasonably low-lag, and interpolation-free). In the computer monitor world, consider LightBoost to eliminate motion blur for computer games.

Thanks,
Mark Rejhon

www.BlurBusters.com

BlurBusters Blog -- Eliminating Motion Blur by 90%+ on LCD for games and computers

Rooting for upcoming low-persistence rolling-scan OLEDs too!

Mark Rejhon is offline  
Old 07-29-2013, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Chronoptimist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 2,644
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 260
Motion interpolation does not simply "double" the framerate, it will be interpolating to 120Hz or 240Hz. And interpolation is not suitable for gaming due to the considerable input lag it introduces.
But the effect of moving from 30fps to 60fps has a similar improvement to motion clarity.

That said, if it's an older LCD, it's still going to suffer from motion blur, as it will be a sample & hold display.
A more modern LCD like the new Sony W-series with its impulse mode will have significantly sharper motion without using interpolation. (so input lag remains relatively low)

Next gen consoles will still largely be targeting 30fps though. Only a couple of games have announced that they are targeting 60fps, and already some of those developers have said that they're thinking of switching to 30fps to increase fidelity.
If you want to guarantee 60fps, you really need to switch to a PC.
Chronoptimist is offline  
Old 07-29-2013, 10:18 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Wizziwig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: SoCal, USA
Posts: 1,337
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronoptimist View Post

Next gen consoles will still largely be targeting 30fps though. Only a couple of games have announced that they are targeting 60fps, and already some of those developers have said that they're thinking of switching to 30fps to increase fidelity.
If you want to guarantee 60fps, you really need to switch to a PC.

As a game graphics programmer, I can backup what Chronoptimist is saying. The problem is that consumers and publishers at large always want the best graphics - frame rate be damned. As a result, most developers will sacrifice some FPS so their game looks competitive with the other guys doing 30fps.

After playing most of the next-gen games at E3, I don't recall any of them running at 60fps except maybe Killer Instinct. Some of the highly competitive multi-player titles like COD will probably ship at 60fps because the reduced latency makes a huge difference to gameplay. Just don't expect these games to look as good as 30fps titles when comparing screenshots.
Joe Bloggs likes this.
Wizziwig is offline  
Old 07-31-2013, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Mark Rejhon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: North America
Posts: 8,125
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizziwig View Post

As a game graphics programmer, I can backup what Chronoptimist is saying. The problem is that consumers and publishers at large always want the best graphics - frame rate be damned. As a result, most developers will sacrifice some FPS so their game looks competitive with the other guys doing 30fps.

After playing most of the next-gen games at E3, I don't recall any of them running at 60fps except maybe Killer Instinct. Some of the highly competitive multi-player titles like COD will probably ship at 60fps because the reduced latency makes a huge difference to gameplay. Just don't expect these games to look as good as 30fps titles when comparing screenshots.

It is a shame because 30fps-vs-60fps makes a massively more dramatic difference on flicker displays (e.g. CRT, Motionflow, Plasma) than on LCD displays where 30fps-vs-60fps blend to each other a little more due to eye-tracking motion blur (sample-and-hold).
Viewing www.testufo.com on a LCD, then again on CRT, reveals the difference becomes dramatic on CRT.

Thanks,
Mark Rejhon

www.BlurBusters.com

BlurBusters Blog -- Eliminating Motion Blur by 90%+ on LCD for games and computers

Rooting for upcoming low-persistence rolling-scan OLEDs too!

Mark Rejhon is offline  
 
Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off