Why does my 2007 Sony KDl40V2500 look better than a new Samsung UN40ES6100? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 07-30-2013, 06:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
When watching on the Samsung, everything looks nice until I watch the same content on my 2007 Sony. The Sony's colors seem to be a lot more vibrant and popping.

I'm not sure if it is just because the Sony is over saturated? Do Sony tv's typically have more vibrant color? I calibrated the Samsung using the built in blue filter and the AVS calibration pictures. I wasn't able to calibrate the Sony's colors because i don't have blue filter glasses, so I just let the color and Tint on default.

I am not really sure which tv is producing the more accurate color. I will try to get some pics later today. I did notice that the samsung seems to show more detail in darker content. I set the brightness on both tv's using the AVS HD black level clipping pattern.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 07-30-2013, 06:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich2k4 View Post

When watching on the Samsung, everything looks nice until I watch the same content on my 2007 Sony. The Sony's colors seem to be a lot more vibrant and popping.
If it's a 2007 model, it's probably still one of the older Sony "Wide Color Gamut" CCFL LCDs, which did have oversaturated colors, and processing to try and make that look a bit more natural. You may have the option to turn it off, but their color management system was fairly primitive back then and the results weren't great.

It's only recently that displays have been implementing color management systems or presets which conform to the BT.709 HD standard. The shift to LED backlighting has helped there, because white LEDs do not typically have as wide a gamut as the older WCG-CCFL backlighting, and are much closer to BT.709 by default.
Quote:

I calibrated the Samsung using the built in blue filter and the AVS calibration pictures. I wasn't able to calibrate the Sony's colors because i don't have blue filter glasses, so I just let the color and Tint on default.
Honestly, I wouldn't calibrate a set using this method any more. It used to work reasonably well with CRTs, but you are generally best to leave a flat panel at its default color and tint settings.
Quote:

I am not really sure which tv is producing the more accurate color.
Almost certainly the Samsung set.
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
Samsung Un40es6100 40 Inch 1080p 120 Hz Slim Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page