Flat screen technology in 1969 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 08-13-2013, 05:49 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I remember articles like this one in my Dad's Popular Science magazines that have been promising hang on the wall flat screen televisions since I was a kid. The debate over which display technology is best has been going on my whole life. Here is one from the December 1969 issue:

http://books.google.ca/books?id=wSoDAAAAMBAJ&lpg=PA193&dq=tv%20popular%20science%20December%201969&pg=PA56#v=onepage&q=tv%20popular%20science%20December%201969&f=false

Jorsher likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 08-13-2013, 05:59 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

And in the March 1975 issue of Popular Science

http://books.google.ca/books?id=YAEAAAAAMBAJ&lpg=PA2&dq=hang%20on%20wall%20tv%20popular%20science%20march%201975&pg=PA94#v=onepage&q=hang%20on%20wall%20tv%20popular%20science%20march%201975&f=false

post #3 of 16 Old 08-13-2013, 06:03 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

post #4 of 16 Old 08-13-2013, 07:01 AM

Liked: 17
Very interesting. The 1975 article sounds like it's describing plasma? Also interesting to see TFT-LCD in development so long ago. I didn't even know PiP has been around for so long...
post #5 of 16 Old 08-13-2013, 09:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Those poor saps were so naive biggrin.gif
If only they new how long it would take to bring those "revolutionary" lcds to market, and the compromises to pq.
post #6 of 16 Old 08-13-2013, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

It would be a shame if Panasonic got out of the business after spending so many decades perfecting the technology. I'll bet the Japanese didn't anticipate competing with Korea and China back then.
post #7 of 16 Old 08-21-2013, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked: 743

I love looking back in time like that!  It gives a clear view of just how many hurdles there are to get to where we are now.

I wonder how funny TVs of today are going to look in 40-50 years.  Or rather, what entertainment in general will be like.

If google is still around, this very thread might still be around.  I hope it offers someone a chuckle.

Grow milkweed. The Monarch Butterfly requires it, and its numbers are dwindling fast.
post #8 of 16 Old 08-22-2013, 03:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 96
I've got all of you beat by 135 years.

Behold the Telephonoscope, a science fiction concept flat screen videophone, published December 9th 1878 as an almanac prediction for 1879.
Showing a long distance big screen videophone call, Wilton Place in UK, calling Ceylon (Sri Slanka).
Quote:
"EDISON'S TELEPHONOSCOPE (TRANSMITS LIGHT AS WELL AS SOUND).
Every evening, before going to bed, Pater- and Materfamilias set up an electric camera-obscura over their bedroom mantel-piece, and gladden their eyes with the sight of their children at the Antipodes, and converse gaily with them through the wire."

Paterfamilias (in Wilton Place): 'Beatrice, come closer, I want to whisper.'
Beatrice (from Ceylon): 'Yes, Papa dear.'
Paterfamilias: 'Who is that charming young lady playing on Charlie's side?'
Beatrice: 'She's just come over from England, Papa. I'll introduce you to her as soon as the game's over?

Interestingly, the "electric camera obscura" (projector) is exactly the same size and shape as my former Panasonic PT-AE2000U projector, displaying a roughly 21:9 aspect ratio image. After seeing this image, I started to call my home theater "The Telephonoscope Room". biggrin.gif

Thanks,
Mark Rejhon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

BlurBusters Blog -- Eliminating Motion Blur by 90%+ on LCD for games and computers

Rooting for upcoming low-persistence rolling-scan OLEDs too!

post #9 of 16 Old 08-22-2013, 09:38 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Amazing technical vision, given that motion picture cameras hadn't been invented yet, and the telephone invented only a couple of years before. Very Steampunk.
post #10 of 16 Old 08-23-2013, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 218
eSpecially for you retro style fans LG build this TV smile.gif

http://www.theverge.com/products/32ln630r/7234
post #11 of 16 Old 08-28-2013, 12:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbfleming View Post

Amazing technical vision, given that motion picture cameras hadn't been invented yet, and the telephone invented only a couple of years before. Very Steampunk.
More good early concept art of TV's can be found at http://www.schubincafe.com/tag/telephonoscope/

Also, it shows several different 100-year-old jumbotrons (analog & mechanically controlled screens, a 20,000 light bulb screen in year 1905 displaying animations; real jumbotron style advertising boards but over 100 years ago!).

Thanks,
Mark Rejhon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

BlurBusters Blog -- Eliminating Motion Blur by 90%+ on LCD for games and computers

post #12 of 16 Old 08-28-2013, 06:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked: 743
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Rejhon View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbfleming View Post

More good early concept art of TV's can be found at http://www.schubincafe.com/tag/telephonoscope/

Also, it shows several different 100-year-old jumbotrons (analog & mechanically controlled screens, a 20,000 light bulb screen in year 1905 displaying animations; real jumbotron style advertising boards but over 100 years ago!).

Did you read the rebuttal directly under the article dated February 29th 2012?  It refutes that Edison predicted TV, and shows that the Telephonoscope was actually an entirely different item entirely that actually was invented (and written about in 1878).

It goes further too.

Grow milkweed. The Monarch Butterfly requires it, and its numbers are dwindling fast.
post #13 of 16 Old 08-28-2013, 06:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 218
The way i see this it all started when Perspective* was introduced in art. It was developed in the early 15th century. The Renaissance artist Leon Alberti and architect Filippo Bruelleschi are credited with the ''invention'' of linear perspective.

After perspective came photography, and after that came moving images.

*Perspective is an art technique for creating an illusion of three-dimensions (depth and space) on a two-dimensional (flat) surface. Perspective is what makes a painting seem to have form, distance, and look ''real''.
http://painting.about.com/od/composition/ss/perspective-paintings.htm
post #14 of 16 Old 08-28-2013, 05:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorsher View Post

Very interesting. The 1975 article sounds like it's describing plasma?

That's absolutely correct.

The "gas discharge panel" that's like your fluorescent light is absolutely a plasma TV prototype.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working.
post #15 of 16 Old 08-30-2013, 04:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 204
If a TV had the best picture ever but was made like wooden furniture in the sixties--how many people would buy it?

My guess is that people would happier with metal and cheap plastic than wood.

I can't poke fun at those people--I like a lot of chrome--WSW tires--two tone colors--and think that a 1957 Fuel injected Chevrolet Bel Air convertible is fantastic!

If you installed an LCD in it I wouldn't have it if you gave it to me!
post #16 of 16 Old 09-03-2013, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post

Did you read the rebuttal directly under the article dated February 29th 2012?  It refutes that Edison predicted TV, and shows that the Telephonoscope was actually an entirely different item entirely that actually was invented (and written about in 1878).
Yes, but I never said Edison predicted TV. I've only quoted what the cartoon says, as someone else's whimsical (but prescient) prediction during 1878 about what Edison might invent the following year for 1879. The cartoon is a real conceptualization of a fictional Edison edison invention. The cartoon was actually drawn and published on December 9th, 1878 (genuine date) in the humor magazine Punch -- the date itself is very, very noteworthy. The concept of TV was only fresh off imaginations then. My post's prime focus is the genuine date/era of the cartoon that is over 100 years ahead of its time (real conceptualization of TV in a home theater style format), not the name Edision as inventor (fictional use of Edison's name).

Thanks,
Mark Rejhon

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page