Samsung KN55S9C 55 inch OLED owners thread - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 584 Old 04-09-2014, 10:33 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Ok guys, I got a chance to play with the TV a little more last night. So far, I can only describe the TV in one word. GORGEOUS! I spent a few hours trying to tweak it with a few of my Blu-rays and I played Mass Effect 2 for an hour as well to see how gaming was.

I began with running some Blu-rays on it using my new Samsung BD-F5900 player and viewing the calibration video posted on Leo Laporte's TV. I was hoping to use those settings as a baseline for my TV, but unfortunately the video didn't provide any details at all about tweaking the grayscale and color options. I tried the basic settings outlined in the vid and switched between those and the default settings on the TV. For Blu-rays, I used a Samsung 3D demo disc I picked up along with my older 55C8000. I only ran the Phil Driscoll clips in 2D since I didn't want to mess with the 3D yet and I wanted to check black levels. I also used The Mummy and War Horse, my current favorite reference disc. After viewing the Phil Driscoll clips, I was a little underwhelmed. The black levels were pretty good, but I was hoping I'd be able to see more detail and resolution in the dark scenes. I tried the basic Laporte settings and again I was disappointed.

I then switched my attention to War Horse (watching the first several minutes of the movie) and noticed that the colors and details using the basic Laporte settings just didn't suit what I wanted out of the TV. I know many of you will think I'm insane, but I preferred the standard default settings a lot more over the Laporte settings! Maybe I'm just used to it, but I think I prefer the over-saturated and pop colors of the Standard mode rather than the (possibly more accurate) colors of the Laporte Movie mode. I switched off the digital noise and MPEG noise features, left the soap opera AMP setting on (because I'm one of the very few that actually LIKES it), and turned off the Eco sensor. I then noticed that the sharpness seemed to be pretty extreme and saw a lot of ringing noise. I put in the Mummy and watched the first several minutes of that movie, and I confirmed that the default sharpness setting on the TV introduced a LOT of ringing. I was surprised at this because my 55C8000 is at its default setting (including sharpness), and it was nowhere near as noisy as the OLED's. maybe because the OLED is that much more detailed without the need for edge enhancement, but I quickly turned the sharpness down to 10 and that seemed to alleviate the problem.

As of now, the OLED is at the default setting with the exception of the sharpness being turned down to 10 and the Eco sensor and noise reduction features being turned off. With these settings, the images in War Horse and The Mummy were about as detailed as they were on my 55C8000...with the exception of the black level. There's definitely a noticeable difference with the black level, and the OLED's blacks are of course VERY impressive (as expected). Maybe I was expecting too much as far as the details and sharpness of the picture are concerned, but I honestly don't see a HUGE difference in that category between the OLED and my 55C8000. But the black level on the OLED is definitely impressive, even with the default settings. I just picked up Samsara (widely regarded as THE reference standard for Blu-ray), so I'll hopefully get to watch that on both the OLED and the 55C8000 and make some more comparisons.

Mass Effect 2 is AWESOME on this OLED. Space has never looked darker when I'm in the galaxy map and although ME 2 isn't a shooter where lag is a concern, I didn't notice any lag at all during combat. I'm happy with gaming on the TV so far. As far as 3D goes, I'm hoping to get around to watching my old Samsung 3D demo disc tonight. With respect to the curve, it doesn't bother me at all and although I was a hater at first, I'm ok with it since it doesn't distort the picture at all as far as I can tell.

Overall, I really can't complain...I think I got an AMAZING deal on this TV for $3,000! Especially if it will be a Holy Grail as Wizziwig pointed out. I'd be really curious to find out how many of these TVs actually made it out to market. Again, I know many of you will be incredulous at me using factory default settings, but I really want to get the most pop, sharpness detail, and black level possible out of this TV. If any of you guys have any setting/calibration recommendations, I'd definitely appreciate it. Right now, a pro calibration just isn't an option for me, so I'll have to rely on my eyes or other people's setting recommendations.

Samsung KN55S9C OLED TV
LG EL9500 OLED TV
Sony XEL-1 OLED TV
Samsung UN55C8000 3D LED TV
Samsung BD-C6900 and BD-F5900 3D Blu-ray players
Onkyo HT-S770 home theater system
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 584 Old 04-09-2014, 04:40 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Same here. Any recommended calibrated settings will be greatly appreciated. ..
post #363 of 584 Old 04-09-2014, 07:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 55
I will post setting in few days. I've added a Lumagen Mini-3D to the mix, for greater control of grayscale/gamma and color gamut. I'll report back soon, but checkout this article. It answers many questions about the set, including calibration.
post #364 of 584 Old 04-09-2014, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pres2play View Post

I will post setting in few days. I've added a Lumagen Mini-3D to the mix, for greater control of grayscale/gamma and color gamut. I'll report back soon, but checkout this article. It answers many questions about the set, including calibration.

Thanks...your link doesn't seem to work btw...
post #365 of 584 Old 04-09-2014, 07:23 PM
AVS Special Member

It's okay, now.
post #366 of 584 Old 04-09-2014, 07:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Here's something interesting from the article with regard to dark details in the picture...

The charts looked all well and good, but when we sampled some real-world content, we couldn’t help noticing some crushed shadow detail. Our chief reviewer David Mackenzie suggested running a 21-point greyscale and gamma sweep, through which we found the culprit:

Pre-calibration 21-point gamma Post-calibration 21-point gamma

If you look at the graph on the left above, you should be able to see that spot gamma at 5% stimulus juts out higher than the rest, settling at around 2.5. The same hump persisted whether we shifted the entire gamma curve up or down, which means that near-black levels would always be output at a darker shade than they should be, thus explaining why details in the shadows were obscured.
post #367 of 584 Old 04-09-2014, 08:59 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks for the link to that review. It was interesting to note their excitement over the startup of the TV when the "smart TV" icons come on after you turn it on. I agree, even that simple display of the icons is a sight to behold. That background is BLACK and really makes the icons stand out! I just watched half of Coyote Ugly, and that movie has a good number of dark scenes. That was the last movie I saw on my old UN55C8000 last week and I decided to rewatch some of the movie again on the OLED. The dark scenes are definitely more outstanding on the OLED, I can definitely tell a good difference between the two TVs, at least with respect to the contrast ratios and black levels. I'm starting to get really impressed with this TV! smile.gif

Samsung KN55S9C OLED TV
LG EL9500 OLED TV
Sony XEL-1 OLED TV
post #368 of 584 Old 04-09-2014, 10:13 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I got a used one from amazon warehouse and it's scheduled to be delivered tomorrow. Any specific things I should look for once I power on the unit before the delivery guy leaves? What are the biggest cons for a used model? What is the best way to try to find any burn-in on the screen?

Thanks for any advice in advance, can't wait to get it.
post #369 of 584 Old 04-10-2014, 01:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Congrats, Rogers! Just fire up the set and do a quick check of the screen: any problem with the pixels or IR should be easily to spot on this bright set.
post #370 of 584 Old 04-10-2014, 01:55 AM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Congratulations I am sure your set will come arrive in pristine condition and you will love it!!!
post #371 of 584 Old 04-10-2014, 03:39 AM
Advanced Member

Congratulations! I had noticed there was a "repackaged" TV on Amazon, so I'm assuming that's the one you got? I'm curious to see if it still comes with the original box. I agree with the others, just check to make sure everything is in there for the accessories and you should be able to spot burn-in or pixel problems relatively easily. Let us know what you think once you get it in! wink.gif I'd also love to hear what you use for settings as well.

Samsung KN55S9C OLED TV
LG EL9500 OLED TV
Sony XEL-1 OLED TV
post #372 of 584 Old 04-10-2014, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Here's the report and custom configuration for my S9C. For the measurement, I used ChromaPure and the i1 Display Pro 3 colorimeter. All picture adjustments were made through the display, so you don't need a video processor.
This is the first time I have taken a reading of the TV with the Color Space set to AUTO. In this setting, the CIE Color Chart is pretty accurate, but the grayscale shows an error of 7.8. I was able to correct this using the display's 10-point White Balance control, which also improved shadow detail in dark scenes. Blues are really jacked up here, but the results are amazing.

PLEASE REMEMBER ALL SETS HAVE THEIR OWN PECULIARITIES SO IF SOMETHING DOES NOT LOOK RIGHT TO YOU, CHANGE BACK THE SETTINGS.

Enjoy.

Picture Mode: Movie
Cell Light: 6
Contrast: 94
Brightness: 48
Sharpness: 0 (adjust to personal taste; 15 or 20 look great, too)
Color: 51
Tint: 50
Color Tone: Warm2

2-point White Balance: keep at default (make only 10-pt adjustments)
10-point WB:

herpderp likes this.
post #373 of 584 Old 04-10-2014, 07:56 PM

Quote:

Here's the report and custom configuration for my S9C. For the measurement, I used ChromaPure and the i1 Display Pro 3 colorimeter. All picture adjustments were made through the display, so you don't need a video processor.
This is the first time I have taken a reading of the TV with the Color Space set to AUTO. In this setting, the CIE Color Chart is pretty accurate, but the grayscale shows an error of 7.8. I was able to correct this using the display's 10-point White Balance control, which also improved shadow detail in dark scenes. Blues are really jacked up here, but the results are amazing.

PLEASE REMEMBER ALL SETS HAVE THEIR OWN PECULIARITIES SO IF SOMETHING DOES NOT LOOK RIGHT TO YOU, CHANGE BACK THE SETTINGS.

Enjoy.

Picture Mode: Movie
Cell Light: 6
Brightness: 48
Sharpness: 0 (adjust to personal taste; 15 or 20 look great, too)
Color: 51
Color Tone: Warm2

2-point White Balance: keep at default (make only 10-pt adjustments)
10-point WB:

Thanks so much for sharing the information! I will definitely try this after work..

Since I've just recently posted about a serious input lag for gaming (especially for FPS), would there be a possibility where you will calibrate for gaming as well?
As you know if you turn on game mode, most of the features are unavailable for you to adjust. I wonder how you will tackle that if you are willing to calibrate within game mode.

Because in game mode, the pictures are just too yuk!!! too bright and too unnatural biggrin.gif
post #374 of 584 Old 04-10-2014, 08:00 PM

Oh and the owners, do you guys feel any lag even within scrolling the TV menu? The remote controller is so awful as it's a touch screen unlike the newest Samsung TV with mouse feature like LG, and it takes like billion seconds to go turn on Game mode or adjust settings. It just takes a lot of button pushes.... Or maybe since I'm in Korea and I'm using Korean language menu, if you guys don't feel any lag and smooth as butter I might have to change it to English menu... (For Xbox360, changing to English menu slightly reduced a lag maybe because of a language size issue or something as East Asian languages are 2bytes whereas alphabets are only 1byte)...That's just my speculation though..
post #375 of 584 Old 04-10-2014, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phreaky_d View Post

Congratulations! I had noticed there was a "repackaged" TV on Amazon, so I'm assuming that's the one you got? I'm curious to see if it still comes with the original box. I agree with the others, just check to make sure everything is in there for the accessories and you should be able to spot burn-in or pixel problems relatively easily. Let us know what you think once you get it in! wink.gif I'd also love to hear what you use for settings as well.

There were several from the amazon warehouse. The description for the one I ordered was:
"Item is in original packaging, but packaging may come damaged. Item is pristine and without scratches. All accessories are present and undamaged"

I got it for $2,444.60. At that price I kinda regret not ordering two so I could use one for home theater and one for a computer monitor.

That being said, lets say there is something majorly wrong with the picture when I get it. Would it be best to refuse the package before they shipper leaves or to see if I can fix it and if I can't just report to amazon that its damaged. Any idea if I'd have to pay for return shipping? This item is rarely in stock at amazon used so I'd have no choice to just do a refund instead of exchange right?

Oh yea it got rescheduled to today frown.gif

Edit: Here's a screenshot of what it looked like when I ordered:
http://cdn.avsforum.com/7/70/70a715c3_tvpricescreenshot.png
post #376 of 584 Old 04-11-2014, 12:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have to check these numbers again and see why the Blue value is off so much.

post #377 of 584 Old 04-11-2014, 04:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:

You've really got to do a 2 point grayscale calibration first.

Even before that, be sure to pick a color temperature where the RGB lines start off as close as possible.

What you're not seeing is how far off you inbetween points are. Say at 5%, 15%, 25%, etc...

Start over.

Step .5.....Return 10 pt grayscale adjustments to zero default positions.

Step 1 .... Using the white balance module in Chromapure and say the 70% intensity, toggle through the various color temperatures till you find the one with the lowest dE value. Verify using 20% intensity.

Step 2..... Using the 2 step grayscale correction, adjust the grayscale run until the bulk of the levels are lined up. This is why you had so many adjustments on the 10pt grayscale.

Step 3..... Now use the 10 pt grayscale to clean up variances in the 10 point. Hopefully, there is very little to adjust at this point.

Step 4..... Run a 21 point grayscale (change options in Chromapure) and see how it all lines up. If you've got some large adjustments, then use your Radiance mini to correct those.

Let us know how this turns out.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #378 of 584 Old 04-11-2014, 04:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogershomework View Post

There were several from the amazon warehouse. The description for the one I ordered was:
"Item is in original packaging, but packaging may come damaged. Item is pristine and without scratches. All accessories are present and undamaged"

I got it for $2,444.60. At that price I kinda regret not ordering two so I could use one for home theater and one for a computer monitor.

That being said, lets say there is something majorly wrong with the picture when I get it. Would it be best to refuse the package before they shipper leaves or to see if I can fix it and if I can't just report to amazon that its damaged. Any idea if I'd have to pay for return shipping? This item is rarely in stock at amazon used so I'd have no choice to just do a refund instead of exchange right?

Read the small print on Amazon's return policy assuming you bought it from Amazon and not another seller on their site. If I remember correctly you get their 30 day no questions asked returns. Same as if you bought new. If bought from another seller you have 30 days unless seller specified no returns BUT you have to pay return shipping plus insurance to value of sale.
post #379 of 584 Old 04-11-2014, 05:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked: 744
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsinger View Post

Quote:

Read the small print on Amazon's return policy assuming you bought it from Amazon and not another seller on their site. If I remember correctly you get their 30 day no questions asked returns. Same as if you bought new. If bought from another seller you have 30 days unless seller specified no returns BUT you have to pay return shipping plus insurance to value of sale.

He said Amazon Warehouse.  That is from Amazon (Amazon at that point is the vendor) and is covered by the Amazon policies in full.  This is not technically a FBA where you get the Amazon return policy but the money still (partially) funnels through a vendor.  I've read through all that fine print many times and clarified it with a representative over chat.

Grow milkweed. The Monarch Butterfly requires it, and its numbers are dwindling fast.
post #380 of 584 Old 04-11-2014, 06:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Holy smokes, that's a CRAZY good deal! I thought mine was a steal at $3,000...good for you, man! biggrin.gif Pres2play, thanks so much for posting your settings. I used them and noticed a big improvement over the few Laporte settings I was able to determine from the calibration vid, but I ultimately found myself wanting to go back to the standard factory defaults. So I think I'll be sticking with the default settings, with the exception of turning off all noise reduction features, turning the sharpness down to 20, turning off the Eco sensor, and using the Screen Fit picture setting. This thing looks great with awesome black levels at those settings! I'm hoping to get around to some 3D content tonight to try that out.

Samsung KN55S9C OLED TV
LG EL9500 OLED TV
Sony XEL-1 OLED TV
post #381 of 584 Old 04-11-2014, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post

You've really got to do a 2 point grayscale calibration first.

Even before that, be sure to pick a color temperature where the RGB lines start off as close as possible.

What you're not seeing is how far off you inbetween points are. Say at 5%, 15%, 25%, etc...

Start over.

Step .5.....Return 10 pt grayscale adjustments to zero default positions.

Step 1 .... Using the white balance module in Chromapure and say the 70% intensity, toggle through the various color temperatures till you find the one with the lowest dE value. Verify using 20% intensity.

Step 2..... Using the 2 step grayscale correction, adjust the grayscale run until the bulk of the levels are lined up. This is why you had so many adjustments on the 10pt grayscale.

Step 3..... Now use the 10 pt grayscale to clean up variances in the 10 point. Hopefully, there is very little to adjust at this point.

Step 4..... Run a 21 point grayscale (change options in Chromapure) and see how it all lines up. If you've got some large adjustments, then use your Radiance mini to correct those.

Let us know how this turns out.

You were right, the 2-point White Balance adjustment is very necessary. Whether I used the Warm1 or Warm2 color tones, the adjustment at 20% and 70% brought the lines much closer together and reduced the number of adjustments with the 10-pt control.

Pleasantly found that the Warm1 needed even fewer adjustments, as well. Thanks Jim, you saved me a lot of work!

Before and After with 2-step adjustment:

Before and After with 2-step AND 10-pt White Balance adjustment:

Color Tone: Warm 1
Cell Light: 8
Brightness: 50
Sharpness: 0
Color: 50

EDIT: in 10-pt chart, the correct title on the last column is BLUE
post #382 of 584 Old 04-11-2014, 03:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:

Press2play

That looks so much better. Everyone applaud.

How are you doing with gamma? Actually, lets take this to PMs. I doubt many will be interested in our exchange.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #383 of 584 Old 04-11-2014, 03:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Jim, there are so few owners I don't think anyone here will mind, or care.

Thanks for reminding me about the 2p system. I intentionally left it out, because the HDTVtest review recommended using only the 10-pt adjustment. Really, how'd they get that to work??? Now that I know what happens if I don't use the 2 pt control (where as before I was just following instructions from the "Calibration For Dummies Guide"), I'm getting a better understanding of the process.

I didn't have time to look at gamma but I plan on continuing the session later tonight. I'm expecting the gamma to be somewhat off, because the picture looks dark again. At least I'm going in the right direction now.

EDIT: Also, I haven't used the Radiance for any picture adjustments, yet. I know it will give me added range if I need it. I know the processor does a great job correcting the color values inside the gamut and I look forward to running the 125-LUT Auto-Calibration.
post #384 of 584 Old 04-11-2014, 04:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEO MODE View Post

Oh and the owners, do you guys feel any lag even within scrolling the TV menu? The remote controller is so awful as it's a touch screen unlike the newest Samsung TV with mouse feature like LG, and it takes like billion seconds to go turn on Game mode or adjust settings. It just takes a lot of button pushes.... Or maybe since I'm in Korea and I'm using Korean language menu, if you guys don't feel any lag and smooth as butter I might have to change it to English menu... (For Xbox360, changing to English menu slightly reduced a lag maybe because of a language size issue or something as East Asian languages are 2bytes whereas alphabets are only 1byte)...That's just my speculation though..

Leo, I really hear you about the picture lag you're experiencing. Unfortunately, this is probably the single greatest disappoint with this Samsung, and no doubt the reason very few gamers want this set. I don't game, but the lag is annoying with movies too. With my video hookup I have to make lip-sync adjustments based on the movie I'm watching. I already know that the best setting for Brookyn's Finest, for example, is -170 ms. It's a drag, but I hoping Samsung can find a fix, maybe through an upgrade of the One-Connect box.

I agree with you 100% about gaming on this set. It's not game friendly: the game mode is buried in a sub-menu! And I don't like the way the set flickers when you do switch to game mode. Not very smooth at all.

That said, I do remember hooking up a PS3 to the set and PQ was quite outstanding. No Online gaming though, so didn't test lag that way.
post #385 of 584 Old 04-12-2014, 12:05 AM

So I have a news...

I'm in Korea and I bought the OLED TV last Tuesday (KN55S9C) and it had a burn-in.

So I called the customer support and the technician came.

He checked the burn-in and he said "we don't have any parts in stock anymore. we don't have any parts at all regarding this TV model. The only thing you can do is ask for a refund".
For a note, for Korean consumer policy, the companies need to pertain the parts for 7 years but in reality big conglomerates like Samsung and Hyundai Motors here rarely do that. And known for selling items more expensive than outside of Korea.
And I understand that while the parts might be out of stock, but it hasn't even been 1 year??? And what about the customers who bought the TV outside of Korea? Samsung and Hyundai are super-nice to all of you guys. This can't happen right? lol

I'm sure the panels and main parts are manufactured in Korea here then sent out to you guys in the world.

KN55S9C owners, could you please call Samsung in your region and ask if there are any panels left to purchase then?

I mean if Samsung worldwide says "we don't have any parts so if you want to get it fixed, we'll just refund you" then I'll understand.

I just want to know the truth. I also heard that the OLED panel replacement price is about $3000 USD.

Since I bought the TV really cheap would this be the reason why Samsung is doing this on purpose? (Since I bought it for about $4000, if they replace my panel, it'll cost about 80% of the original purchased price).

I really want to know what is really going on here...are the OLED TV owners screwed now? Do we have to get the refund pro-rated no matter what no matter where you are now?? Or is Samsung telling the technicians to say they dont have any parts left for this OLED model?
post #386 of 584 Old 04-12-2014, 01:42 AM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
^That's just more anecdotal proof that Samsung dropped OLED in TV format like a hot potato.
post #387 of 584 Old 04-12-2014, 09:32 AM

Well I got mine yesterday. I've had the biggest smile on my face ever since I got it. Truly amazing picture quality.

Mine was considered used, but there was literally no signs of it being used outside of the remote already having batteries in it. Everything was still shrink wrapped and all the protective clear plastic stuff was there. The only box damage (if you want to call it that) was one of the handles you use to carry it was slightly torn.

So I basically got a brand new $9k TV for $2,444. I've gotten a lot of good deals on electronics, but this is by far the best deal.

Anyway, back to the TV. If you care anything about picture quality when you watch movies/tv, this is the TV for you. Never seen anything like it. It has the best 3D i've seen. Sharpness was way to high by default for some reason.

Like others have said, its impossible to describe how good it is. The pictures online don't do it justice. I haven't even calibrated yet outside of disabling a few annoying eco features that were on by default and cell brightness.

I hooked it up to my desktop (which is what I wanted to use it for) and it looked terrible by default just like my old samsung lcd TV. Input lag was also VERY high even with game mode enabled. After editing the input name to DVI / PC it removes all input lag and looks just like a 55" monitor. It was the same way with my previous two Samsung TV's, it changes tons of stuff when you change the label. It also locks down most of the settings. On my old TV that was not a problem. On this set it seems to have enabled dynamic contrast of some sort. Any idea if I could disable this? When I go in the menu I can't changed that option and it looks like its set to off. By the way, the curve is not a problem for text which is what I was worried about.

Either way, 0 buyers remorse. I can safely say I'll never buy a LCD/LED TV again for a monitor or my home theater. OLED is the way of the future. It sucks that manufacturers are focusing on 4k more than OLED. I've have yet to see a 4k set, but there is no way it could compare to this. Especially at 55".
tubby497 likes this.
post #388 of 584 Old 04-12-2014, 10:30 AM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

^That's just more anecdotal proof that Samsung dropped OLED in TV format like a hot potato.

Still that's unbelievable, Pioneer keep plasma inventory and their tv operation is long dead.
post #389 of 584 Old 04-12-2014, 10:38 AM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
Samdung is no Pioneer.
ChadThunder likes this.
post #390 of 584 Old 04-12-2014, 11:12 AM
Advanced Member

Rogershomework...that's awesome man, congratulations! Your TV sounds like it was in better shape than mine. No shrink wrap on anything and it had been clearly used before, although the plastic lining is still around the frame of my TV. I agree with you about the sharpness, I was pretty surprised at how noisy the default sharpness setting was. I bumped it down to 10 and that seems a little better. I watched X-Men: First Class last night and although I had the noise reduction features turned off, I noticed a lot of grain in the movie. I decided to turn the digital noise and MPEG noise reduction features back on and that took care of smoothing the picture out again. Although I lost some detail in the picture, it's overall worth it since the noise was reduced. So now my setting are all at default except for the Eco sensor being turned off and the sharpness being turned down to 10. Overall I'm pretty pleased with this TV!

Samsung KN55S9C OLED TV
LG EL9500 OLED TV
Sony XEL-1 OLED TV
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
Samsung Kn55s9c Curved Panel Smart 3d Oled Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page