Samsung KN55S9C 55 inch OLED owners thread - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 792 Old 09-22-2014, 05:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 68
I haven't seen an LG OLED side by side with a Samsung, and the LG I saw in the store was in torch mode, but I would imagine the LG has an equally terrific picture. The one weakness I can report with the Sammy is the occasional motion artifact. I don't see it (judder) with Bluray, but it's noticable with broadcast. Not horrible by any means, but certainly room for improvement.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 792 Old 09-22-2014, 06:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Has anyone else experienced issues with black crush on this set? The shootout was telling and I'll be interested to read your thoughts on both sets, Vegas.

"If you weren't such an ignorant troll, you'd be adorable" -rogo
post #633 of 792 Old 09-22-2014, 07:17 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 999 Post(s)
Liked: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaktmestern View Post
For the users,with broken dual view glasses there's one up for sale new on ebay.de might be worth snapping up for the rarety n since they break down.
Can you please PM me the link?
post #634 of 792 Old 09-22-2014, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmarceau View Post
Has anyone else experienced issues with black crush on this set? The shootout was telling and I'll be interested to read your thoughts on both sets, Vegas.
Of course I have not see them side by side yet. There might be some black crush, I would be surprised if it was a serious problem that all the ISF calibrators in the Shootout would have picked the Samsung. Of course the 9800 was not in the Shootout and IMO it's a better display than the 9300

The 9800 is a GREAT display I am watching it right now and have no complaints.
post #635 of 792 Old 09-22-2014, 08:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by XPSTester View Post
I actually enjoy the soap opera
It definitely is not boring and is educative at the same time!
It's like The Real Owners of Las Vegas.

Seriously, I love it! Where else can you see in home audition of /everything/ on the market?
hobbs47, 5x10 and Vegas oled like this.
post #636 of 792 Old 09-22-2014, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barth2k View Post
It's like The Real Owners of Las Vegas.

Seriously, I love it! Where else can you see in home audition of /everything/ on the market?
I like the sense of humor, I don't know why some people get mad over what others do. I can tell you my wife is running out of patience.
1989civic likes this.

Last edited by Vegas oled; 09-22-2014 at 09:07 PM.
post #637 of 792 Old 09-23-2014, 07:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas oled View Post
Of course I have not see them side by side yet. There might be some black crush, I would be surprised if it was a serious problem that all the ISF calibrators in the Shootout would have picked the Samsung. Of course the 9800 was not in the Shootout and IMO it's a better display than the 9300

The 9800 is a GREAT display I am watching it right now and have no complaints.
Out of the box the 9800 is better but calibrated Flatpanels did say they are the same think u benifitted more getting one of ur oleds isf calibrated to se how really they can look than changing tvs of they out of the box settings.
post #638 of 792 Old 09-23-2014, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Out of the box the 9800 is better but calibrated Flatpanels did say they are the same think u benifitted more getting one of ur oleds isf calibrated to se how really they can look than changing tvs of they out of the box settings.
The biggest difference I noticed when I did see the Samsung OLED is the LG seemed to have more pop. The Samsung seemed more accurate and better built. The samsung also did not have the dimples that the LG have created by the curve. Of course the dimples are not there they just look like they are.
post #639 of 792 Old 09-23-2014, 04:32 PM

An update on the Samsung OLED, as if this is even believable. I get a desperate email from the ebay seller this morning saying I have $2,000 in my Pay Pal account from you and I don't have a Samsung OLED, my account was hacked. So I file a report with ebay and they send my money back to my Pay Pal account.

Long story short, I am so pumped up and excited about the Samsung OLED I could not let the story end there so I negotiate with the original seller I was working with and am going to move forward. I might be making a major mistake but there just is no turning back now, Its Samsung OLED or Bust!

The bummer is I am going to return the LG OLED when I pick up the Samsung so my comparisons will not be side by side and are going to be base upon memory, so I will not do a comparison with the LG and only give my opinion on the Samsung OLED.
post #640 of 792 Old 09-23-2014, 04:49 PM

So which one is better, LG or Samsung?
http://hdguru.com/best-hdtv-ever-100...leds-face-off/

The full motion resolution of the Samsung excites me the most.
post #641 of 792 Old 09-23-2014, 05:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:

Vegas, why not give the flat 8800 a shot? I'm thinking of going that route if the 65" stays overpriced for awhile. Or maybe the "rebadged" 8800 with on board sound and without the speaker frame, if that comes to fruition. I really don't need the speaker frame of the 8800 and would probably sell it.
Vegas oled and XPSTester like this.

post #642 of 792 Old 09-23-2014, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbs47 View Post
Vegas, why not give the flat 8800 a shot? I'm thinking of going that route if the 65" stays overpriced for awhile. Or maybe the "rebadged" 8800 with on board sound and without the speaker frame, if that comes to fruition. I really don't need the speaker frame of the 8800 and would probably sell it.
I considered it but want to go Samsung. I do think the 8800 for $3,500 is a great deal and might be as rare in North America s the Samsung. People have to realize that bigger is great, the problem is everything that might bother you on a 55" will be BIGGER and more noticeable on the 65". 4K is nice but it will not hide things any better than 2K.
XPSTester likes this.
post #643 of 792 Old 09-23-2014, 05:52 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Thumbs up

Quote:
Long story short, I am so pumped up and excited about the Samsung OLED I could not let the story end there so I negotiate with the original seller I was working with and am going to move forward. I might be making a major mistake but there just is no turning back now, Its Samsung OLED or Bust!
I don't think you're making a mistake. I've seen 3 OLED's in person and in a real home theater environment with pretty good calibrations on all 3 (two LG 9300's and my Samsung S9c).

The Samsung blew the 9300s out of the water in almost every aspect. The LG's were super light and the stand looked amazing, but the picture quality/uniformity/motion handling/3d is far better on the S9C. I definitely prefer the Samsung menu system as well. Not a huge fan of the wii-mote like remote.

Both have pretty severe ABL (Automatic Brightness Limiter) which kinda sucks for PC use, but you'd be hard pressed to see it on either set with real content.

One thing to note is the LG does not seem to have any burn-in protection customization. I'm sure it has features for that, but you cant change any of them. The S9C has settings for the screen saver and pixel shift.

Sadly mine were not side by side either, but I was able to use both on the same day if that helps. I wish my S9C was wall mountable, then I'd say i'd be near perfect.
1989civic and Vegas oled like this.

Last edited by rogershomework; 09-23-2014 at 05:57 PM.
post #644 of 792 Old 09-23-2014, 05:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1174 Post(s)
Liked: 1324
Quote:
An update on the Samsung OLED, as if this is even believable. I get a desperate email from the ebay seller this morning saying I have $2,000 in my Pay Pal account from you and I don't have a Samsung OLED, my account was hacked. So I file a report with ebay and they send my money back to my Pay Pal account.

The bummer is I am going to return the LG OLED when I pick up the Samsung so my comparisons will not be side by side and are going to be base upon memory, so I will not do a comparison with the LG and only give my opinion on the Samsung OLED.
My head hurts more than ever.
post #645 of 792 Old 09-23-2014, 07:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Lets hope Samsung starts makeing oleds agin
post #646 of 792 Old 09-26-2014, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Quote:

Update a 4 hour trip and the Samsung OLED has burnin. Other than that it blew the LG away. The color was so much better. No I don't know what to do, this sucks.
rogershomework likes this.
post #647 of 792 Old 09-26-2014, 12:13 PM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Update a 4 hour trip and the Samsung OLED has burnin. Other than that it blew the LG away. The color was so much better. No I don't know what to do, this sucks.
Your drama goes on like usual
LoL
Ken Ross likes this.
post #648 of 792 Old 09-26-2014, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Unlucky Vegas well its a sign to give up ur samsung oled quest
post #649 of 792 Old 09-26-2014, 12:22 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
You need to get them both calibrated and then compare them. You can not truly measure what a tv can do based on out of the box settings regardless of whether its thx mode or not. To compare them accurately to see which one is better you need to put them on an even playing field. The out of the box settings on the lg are way off. I'm not sure about the samsung's because I have never seen one but I've seen amazing reviews on it. I'm sure they are both great tvs and I'm not picking a side. But its pointless to try to compare them this way. Hire a pro or get a color meter and calibrate it. I got a es-1000(rebadged i1 pro) off of ebay for $125 and color hcfr is free. Read tv calibration for dummies on curtpalme.com. I can tell you from experience with both my pioneer kuro and the LG oled that neither set was anywhere close to how amazing it was after calibration. That's the best advice I could give you and I'm sure if you did it you would be happier with whatever set you decide to keep. I work in the car business so I would use the example of trying to compare how 2 different car handle without performing a wheel alignment. Good luck in your journey of trying to pick a tv but I'm certain you will save yourself a lot of time, money, and frustration if you do that.
vaktmestern likes this.
post #650 of 792 Old 09-26-2014, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Unlucky Vegas well its a sign to give up ur samsung oled quest
Man,u can't make this stuff up. Very entertaining though I do feel bad for Vegas. I vote for Louis CK to play Vegas in the movie version.
"What is that? Burn in...................................damn "

post #651 of 792 Old 09-26-2014, 12:40 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Vegas, how bad is the burn-in? Is it a logo in the corner or much worse? You can do one of two things. Complain to the seller advising him that unless he compensates you financially for the burn-in, you'll have to make a paypal claim to return the tv as it was misrepresented to you. Likely he will agree to refund some of your money. Of course, this scenario is only good if you can live with the burn-in.
If you can't live with it, then a return is your only option. BUT, for sure.. if you CAN live with it, get a partial refund. Don't let the seller get away with misrepresentation.
I once bought a store demo 42" Pioneer Kuro... the bastards put the price sign in the lower right corner of the screen. When I got home and removed the price sign... there was an Oasis Tv logo burned into the corner. So, I know how you feel amigo ;(
rogershomework likes this.
post #652 of 792 Old 09-26-2014, 12:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1174 Post(s)
Liked: 1324
Quote:
That was NOT the case with the calibrated Samsung and 9300 at the shootout. You simply cannot make a statement like this unless you've had both units professionally calibrated.

I really think it's high time that we stop with the knee jerk statements that are either inaccurate or not based on displays that are properly calibrated. It's too easy for people to read these 'reviews' and base their purchases on premature or inaccurate information.
vaktmestern and Yappadappadu like this.
post #653 of 792 Old 09-26-2014, 12:47 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I don't notice my burn in at all really. What sucks about it is I know its there if I bring up a gray screen. Really that's the only time I notice it anymore though.

I'll never let it burn it again. Doing everything possible to prevent it now (especially since I use it for a PC monitor).

Also, I find these very hard to calibrate as they both have ABL. Though, based on out of the box settings, the samsung seems way more accurate to me. Leo's calibration didn't require much adjustments at all either. My friend tried to calibrate two 9300's with a pro calibrator/pro calibrator tools and it seemed less accurate in many ways. 10 point grayscale is hard to get right though. He had the menu up for so long during calibration he had some pretty bad image retention and even possible burn-in.

Last edited by rogershomework; 09-26-2014 at 12:54 PM.
post #654 of 792 Old 09-26-2014, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 530 Post(s)
Liked: 867
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazz3 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by anis_ber View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent. Unless, of course, it's to keep someone from creating a phone video in portrait mode, in which case it's a pretty good first step. Portrait mooks: KNOCK IT OFF.

Last edited by tgm1024; 09-26-2014 at 01:15 PM.
post #655 of 792 Old 09-26-2014, 01:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 505 Post(s)
Liked: 261
Quote:
This reminds me of your initial thoughts of the 9300 vs the 9800
post #656 of 792 Old 09-26-2014, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Quote:
That was NOT the case with the calibrated Samsung and 9300 at the shootout. You simply cannot make a statement like this unless you've had both units professionally calibrated.

I really think it's high time that we stop with the knee jerk statements that are either inaccurate or not based on displays that are properly calibrated. It's too easy for people to read these 'reviews' and base their purchases on premature or inaccurate information.
Very fair points Ken
post #657 of 792 Old 09-26-2014, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5x10 View Post
Quote:
This reminds me of your initial thoughts of the 9300 vs the 9800
The Samsung does not have the dimples that the LG has. I did get the. 9300 to look just like the 9800 accept judder. Hard to compare when not side by side.

Last edited by Vegas oled; 09-26-2014 at 03:23 PM.
post #658 of 792 Old 09-26-2014, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1989civic View Post
Quote:
Vegas, how bad is the burn-in? Is it a logo in the corner or much worse? You can do one of two things. Complain to the seller advising him that unless he compensates you financially for the burn-in, you'll have to make a paypal claim to return the tv as it was misrepresented to you. Likely he will agree to refund some of your money. Of course, this scenario is only good if you can live with the burn-in.
If you can't live with it, then a return is your only option. BUT, for sure.. if you CAN live with it, get a partial refund. Don't let the seller get away with misrepresentation.
I once bought a store demo 42" Pioneer Kuro... the bastards put the price sign in the lower right corner of the screen. When I got home and removed the price sign... there was an Oasis Tv logo burned into the corner. So, I know how you feel amigo ;(
Lower right not bad, only visible with blue or grey. I wonder if it's fixable? Now way to see in content.
post #659 of 792 Old 09-26-2014, 03:30 PM

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Quote:

the colors are more accurate on the samsung and it is much easier to calibrate then the LG's are I have the 8800 from LG and the S9 as well from Samsung D nice came and calibrated both sets for me and the samsung calibrated with no hiccups the LG on the other hand had a few but D nice did figure it out the calibration quickly but although the colors are a little more accurate on the samsung in my opinion its not by a big margin.
post #660 of 792 Old 09-26-2014, 03:34 PM

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 178
also Ken is right you do need to see both properly calibrated before you can just make a statement about which set looks better out of the box because both of them have color issues that have to be corrected right out of the box so making a premature statement as to which has better color does both sets an injustice because they are not on a level playing field.
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
Samsung Kn55s9c Curved Panel Smart 3d Oled Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page