post #781 of 803 Old 10-19-2014, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked: 672
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
By rarely watching with the lights out, you are mitigating the biggest virtue of OLED, zero black levels. With the lights on, it's unlikely you'd see the difference between the blacks of my F8500 (and certainly my Sharp Elite) and your OLED.

I see this as exactly the same issue I posted before. You are judging displays in an uncalibrated state. Dialing in some reviewer's numbers don't cut it and are no substitute for an ISF calibration. I've looked at your Samsung pictures on 2 different monitors, and trust me, your colors are whacked! Again, I'm certain this is not a fault of the Samsung, but rather how you adjust your displays. You are always posting pictures where saturation looks much too high.
Anyone who owns a Sharp Elite, trust me know nothing about color accuracy. if you actually owned a OLED, you would realize that the blacks are Sooo incredible, you enjoy them even with the lights on.

Last edited by Vegas oled; 10-19-2014 at 12:55 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #782 of 803 Old 10-19-2014, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 419
move on please...
post #783 of 803 Old 10-19-2014, 03:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1202 Post(s)
Liked: 1366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas oled View Post
Ken, while I repect your opinion, I just disagree. I agree with the ISF Calibrating team the Samsung oled has a better picture. Everyone has a opinion, this is right display for me, I love it.

I do not agree with them on the ZT60, it goes to show you that we all just see things a little different. LG could make their display much better by simply giving people the choice to turn off the NR filter. Shame they refuse to allow people to make their own choice.

WRGB is just not right, the whites are tinted either green red or blue. The Motion on LG OLEDs is absolutely horrible with poor motion resolution and horrible judder on the 9300.

Your opinion is valued, my opinion is from a person who spent hundreds of hours watching them. The 9800 is FAR superior over the 9300. Sure you can quote a review here and there that is trying to stay politically correct or a retailer who is trying to push 9300's. I saw judder all the time on the 9300, the processor used is low end and the 9800 is better.

The 9800 is a much closer match to the Samsung OLED. I still pick the Samsung because it's colors are better and the BFI.

For anyone to Claim they can tell someone's display is calibrated or not from pictures from a $99 camera when we are viewing them back on different monitors is just silly and is silly as claiming the 9300 compares with the Samsung OLED.

The good thing about the way they do the Shootout is they give the Peoples Choice Award and the ISF Calibrators choice. This allows people to decide for themselves which display better fits their needs and which they feel has the better picture.

Even the colors on the 9800 are much more accurate then the 9300. Every 9300 owner knows what I'm talking about, they may not admit it on this forum but when they are watching they know those skin tones are just a little off. The 9800 is IMO better than the 9300 by 20% and the Samung oled is better than the 9800 by 5%.
Well a few points here:

1. Yes, you've spent far more hours in front of these OLEDs than I have. But OTOH, your opinion does a 180 every few weeks. The 9800 is better, no the 9300 is better, the Samsung is better, the F8500 is better and so it goes. This simply confuses people in their attempts to evaluate which display is better. You can sound enormously convincing when you've reached a conclusion, but then in just a few short weeks, you're proclaiming almost the opposite opinions...and sounding equally convincing doing so.

2. If the whites are tinted, whether it's a CRT, LCD or OLED, the display has not been properly calibrated. There should be no tints to the white on a properly calibrated 9300, 9800 or Samsung OLED. This has absolutely nothing to do with LG's WRGB technology. The 9300 at the shootout, PROFESSIONALLY CALIBRATED, showed no such tints in the white. If yours did it's because it was NOT calibrated properly. Therefore you reached an inaccurate conclusion, blaming the technology rather than the calibration.

3. As for your posted $99 camera pix, if your display is showing radically different images than what your camera is capturing, you should post these pictures with the caveat "Please use caution viewing these, they are highly oversaturated and show improper hue as the result of the cheap camera I am using". Once again, this does nothing but confuse people. Is the display oversaturated? Is it the pictures that are oversaturated? Is the display not properly calibrated? Of course this is one of the reasons I've always said that pictures should be used just for fun, not to evaluate a display. I will say that years ago, during the golden age of plasma, we had some truly excellent images that people posted from their displays.

I feel badly sidetracking a Samsung thread with comments about LG displays (which, in actuality, you brought up), but I also feel badly to see what is, IMO, misinformation that can confuse prospective buyers.
rogershomework likes this.

Last edited by Ken Ross; 10-19-2014 at 07:38 PM.
post #784 of 803 Old 10-19-2014, 03:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Amen, I agree the 9800 is MUCH better than the 9300 and I also have stated I have never seen the ZT60 in a ideal viewing environment. I have great respect for the ISF team that voted and I am sure if I was viewing the ZT60 in a dark room with the f8500 they would be able to show me why the zt60 is superior. Not sure what you think I disagree with you about? I agree with you.

The 9800 kicks butt and the owner who purchased the one I returned has an incredible display at a steal of a price. Most of the people who claim the 9300 is the same as the 9800 are people who own the 9300 and have never spent time with the 9800 or people who comment about OLEDS all day long and don't even own one, LOL.
I reread Vultur's post several times and see absolutely no reference to the fact that he felt '9800 is MUCH better than the 9300'. What Vultur did say was that the 9800 had better motion, but he thought there may have been a firmware fix for that (which I thought I'd read about too). Again, you're confusing people and, in this case, misquoting people. I'm sure that wasn't your intention, but your well-founded enthusiasm tends to get the better of you.
post #785 of 803 Old 10-19-2014, 03:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Anyone who owns a Sharp Elite, trust me know nothing about color accuracy. if you actually owned a OLED, you would realize that the blacks are Sooo incredible, you enjoy them even with the lights on.
Um, check back on the AVS thread for the Sharp Elite and see who was the first to post about the cyan error. It may surprise you.
post #786 of 803 Old 10-19-2014, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Easy, guys.

post #787 of 803 Old 10-19-2014, 06:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pres2play View Post
Easy, guys.

Very nice
post #788 of 803 Old 10-19-2014, 06:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
Quote:
Amen, I agree the 9800 is MUCH better than the 9300 and I also have stated I have never seen the ZT60 in a ideal viewing environment. I have great respect for the ISF team that voted and I am sure if I was viewing the ZT60 in a dark room with the f8500 they would be able to show me why the zt60 is superior. Not sure what you think I disagree with you about? I agree with you.

The 9800 kicks butt and the owner who purchased the one I returned has an incredible display at a steal of a price. Most of the people who claim the 9300 is the same as the 9800 are people who own the 9300 and have never spent time with the 9800 or people who comment about OLEDS all day long and don't even own one, LOL.
I reread Vultur's post several times and see absolutely no reference to the fact that he felt '9800 is MUCH better than the 9300'. What Vultur did say was that the 9800 had better motion, but he thought there may have been a firmware fix for that (which I thought I'd read about too). Again, you're confusing people and, in this case, misquoting people. I'm sure that wasn't your intention, but your well-founded enthusiasm tends to get the better of you.
Show me quotations? Now do me a favor Ken, leave me the Hell alone and stop following me around and harassing me.

Again you post on owners forums day and night harrassing people. Please do not comment too my post and block me.

Last edited by Vegas oled; 10-19-2014 at 06:27 PM.
post #789 of 803 Old 10-19-2014, 07:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Show me quotations?
Sure, below is Vultur's post in its entirety. Show me where he agreed with your statement 'Amen, the 9800 is MUCH better than the 9300'? In fact, he and I agreed about the fact that a properly adjusted WB should show no push in any direction.

Vultur said:
"I don't want to hammer the point home, but the ZT60 won accolades with Sound and Vision and CNET in addition to the 3 VE shootout calibrators, so that's a whole host of pros with whom you disagree (then the UK shootout where it won out because of LG's noted motion resolution limitations...and I still prefer the LG OLED to the ZT60 in spite of this).

While the 9300 has a judder problem (firmware updates didn't fix?), the motion on the 9800 is not that bad actually, just a little more blur than preferred in some scenarios. Also, if you correct the white balance, there is no particularly heinous push in any direction."

Vegas, setting the record straight or offering a different point of view, are quite different than 'harassment'. You made the same claims of other posters only to eventually agree with them as your opinions changed.
post #790 of 803 Old 10-20-2014, 12:23 AM

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 180
LOL things get way to heated in this forum but honestly it is funny. Everyone needs to just WooSa
rogershomework and Vegas oled like this.
post #791 of 803 Old 10-20-2014, 01:33 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 284
Bickering removed, suspensions issued. Stick with the topic and not each other. Thanks.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #792 of 803 Old 10-20-2014, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked: 879
I'm betting we'll see a whole lot more calm sailing ahead....

Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent. Unless, of course, it's to keep someone from creating a phone video in portrait mode, in which case it's a pretty good first step. Portrait mooks: KNOCK IT OFF.
post #793 of 803 Old 10-21-2014, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Just figured out this set has what could be considered an integrated Direct TV box when you use the IR blaster. Very cool an kudos to Samsung for adding excellent additional menus for direct tv owners.

Cannot wait until Samsung re-enters the oled game, what a superb Home Theater Company they are.

Last edited by Vegas oled; 10-21-2014 at 10:22 AM.
post #794 of 803 Old 10-22-2014, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Why Samsung? Because color matters

The shades of grass, not all displays can do the little things

like looking out a window

Theres more to a Great Display than black levels
XPSTester likes this.

Last edited by Vegas oled; 10-22-2014 at 07:45 PM.
post #795 of 803 Old 10-22-2014, 11:01 PM
AVS Special Member

No DNR equals all the detail
post #796 of 803 Old 10-22-2014, 11:04 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Hope they look better in person cause, I hate to tell you, but those pics are not that impressive.
Ken Ross, tgm1024, agkss and 2 others like this.
post #797 of 803 Old Yesterday, 01:31 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 284
Bickering removed. Remember that insulting other AVS members is against the rules y'all agreed to when you signed up. Infractions issued.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #798 of 803 Old Yesterday, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 107
taking pics of your screen is an art almost-haha. it's very hard to get a good representation of what we are actually seeing. The old Kuro pictures thread was outstanding. Some of those guys really knew how to capture their screens.

post #799 of 803 Old Yesterday, 09:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked: 265
Quote:
No DNR equals all the detail
i can tell the difference(from the lg's) in the pixel structure on this pic
not saying on or the other is better, as they are both visible, just looks different
post #800 of 803 Old Yesterday, 04:12 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Well my TV restarted again (by itself). Took about a 10 days to happen this time.

Samsung had me unplug the TV while it was on, wait a minute and turn it back on. They also had me inspect power cable (looked perfect to me) and go in the menu to reset it to factory defaults.

They said run it with only 1 source connected and no internet (disable wireless) and see if it happens again. It just did. They said they would send someone to my place if it does.

Not sure if I even want to bother as it doesn't happen that often. It's also difficult to troubleshoot something that you can't easier reproduce to see if what you did fixed it.

I don't want them moving the TV unless they have to as I don't want to risk having it damaged.

I know I'm being picky, but I don't know what they would do if it is not fixable or if it got damaged during the repair. If they were not able to fix it and only offered me what I paid for it ($2,440) then I'd be kinda mad. If they offered me ~MSRP (~$9,000) then I'd be a really bummed out but at least still feel like I got a good deal

The frame on this TV seems like it wouldn't take much for it to break as it only has two small spots in the middle of the TV to support it.

What should I do?

Last edited by rogershomework; Yesterday at 04:23 PM.
post #801 of 803 Old Today, 12:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Is it possible another remote nearby is causing this?
post #802 of 803 Old Today, 12:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbs47 View Post
taking pics of your screen is an art almost-haha. it's very hard to get a good representation of what we are actually seeing. The old Kuro pictures thread was outstanding. Some of those guys really knew how to capture their screens.

I agree, learn to take screen shots and you've mastered photography.
post #803 of 803 Old Today, 08:13 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pres2play View Post
Is it possible another remote nearby is causing this?
Definitely not. I don't even have windows in the room and I'm the only one home.
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
Samsung Kn55s9c Curved Panel Smart 3d Oled Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page