Samsung KN55S9C 55 inch OLED owners thread - Page 29 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #841 of 844 Old 11-18-2014, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Hi Looking to get the Samsung or LG OLED here soon, but unfortunately BEST BUY here won't let me hook up an actual movie to it. Stupid, but I understand. So I have no way to compare motion to Plasma. I hate soap opera effect on LCD. Could anyone give me some real world advise on.

Movies vs Plasma
Sports vs LCD

Thanks

Joey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #842 of 844 Old 11-18-2014, 09:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeycalda View Post
Hi Looking to get the Samsung or LG OLED here soon, but unfortunately BEST BUY here won't let me hook up an actual movie to it. Stupid, but I understand. So I have no way to compare motion to Plasma. I hate soap opera effect on LCD. Could anyone give me some real world advise on.

Movies vs Plasma
Sports vs LCD

Thanks

Joey
Joey,

I recently purchased both the EC9300 (about 2 months ago) and the Samsung F8500 plasma (about 1 week ago). Initially I wasn't as impressed with the EC9300 as I thought I would be. 1 week ago I got the F8500 plasma - this is a superb display and I love it. However, the EC9300 is better, materially better. Does it have some minor motion issues - yes I suppose it does. The plasma has superior motion no doubt about it, but frankly watching both of them for the past week at home I can honestly say that the EC9300 is a better display and that the motion issues are negligible (to the point of being non-existent in everyday viewing), so much so that if I had to choose one as my main display and size were not a factor, I would choose the EC9300 every time.

Its not that its so incredibly amazing that you will be completely floored by it the first time you see it (like the first time you saw a high quality HD source vs a SD source), but in my opinion it is almost a somewhat subtle but creeping superiority, it is a more refined display. I say creeping because as you become accustomed to it you begin to wish that all displays were as good, even the F8500 plasma. The SOE/DNR is a non-issue for me as it can be largely turned off - there is much discussion of this in other threads, but for practical purposes I have been able to adjust the settings so that I don't see it or am not bothered by it.

I have watched sports (go bears), movies, blu rays, streaming etc. for the past couple of months on it and I have never had a moment where I said, I wish this were my old PRO110. My only issue with it is the size, I want it to be bigger.

Hope this helps,

W.

EDIT - just realized this is the Samsung OLED thread - sorry thought it was a new thread started by Joey. Apologies, I can't speak for the Samsung OLED, but feel like the general benefits of OLED vs plasma still apply to your question. Thx W.
Yappadappadu and fullybob like this.

Last edited by wicklow; 11-18-2014 at 09:45 AM.
post #843 of 844 Old 11-18-2014, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by wicklow View Post
Joey,

I recently purchased both the EC9300 (about 2 months ago) and the Samsung F8500 plasma (about 1 week ago). Initially I wasn't as impressed with the EC9300 as I thought I would be. 1 week ago I got the F8500 plasma - this is a superb display and I love it. However, the EC9300 is better, materially better. Does it have some minor motion issues - yes I suppose it does. The plasma has superior motion no doubt about it, but frankly watching both of them for the past week at home I can honestly say that the EC9300 is a better display and that the motion issues are negligible (to the point of being non-existent in everyday viewing), so much so that if I had to choose one as my main display and size were not a factor, I would choose the EC9300 every time.

Its not that its so incredibly amazing that you will be completely floored by it the first time you see it (like the first time you saw a high quality HD source vs a SD source), but in my opinion it is almost a somewhat subtle but creeping superiority, it is a more refined display. I say creeping because as you become accustomed to it you begin to wish that all displays were as good, even the F8500 plasma. The SOE/DNR is a non-issue for me as it can be largely turned off - there is much discussion of this in other threads, but for practical purposes I have been able to adjust the settings so that I don't see it or am not bothered by it.

I have watched sports (go bears), movies, blu rays, streaming etc. for the past couple of months on it and I have never had a moment where I said, I wish this were my old PRO110. My only issue with it is the size, I want it to be bigger.

Hope this helps,

W.

EDIT - just realized this is the Samsung OLED thread - sorry thought it was a new thread started by Joey. Apologies, I can't speak for the Samsung OLED, but feel like the general benefits of OLED vs plasma still apply here. Thx W.
Yes, thanks so much for your view, and most likely this does represent to "technology comparison" I was referring. Didn't feel like starting a new or met likely double thread. I need to coerce the BB manager to let me view movies. It is in the worst spot in the store with MAJOR LIGHT shinning on it and the blacks and PQ are the best I have seen with exception of 4K material.

Joey
post #844 of 844 Old 11-19-2014, 08:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1015 Post(s)
Liked: 697
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeycalda View Post

Movies vs Plasma
Sports vs LCD

Thanks

Joey
If 55" works for you either oled is great. The f8500 is also amazing and available in 64" so that is something to consider. Motion is better on the Samsung oled than LG because of BFI, of course plasma is Great with motion. The only Current LCD sets I consider Great are the Sony 65950B or the Somy 65900B 4K sets.

Last edited by Vegas oled; 11-19-2014 at 08:45 PM.
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
Samsung Kn55s9c Curved Panel Smart 3d Oled Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page