Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 595 Old 10-02-2013, 08:27 AM - Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 358
http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/KN55S9CAFXZA

Samsung KN55S9C 55 inch OLED owners thread: this thread is for owners, prospective owners, and those who have viewed this new display

please limit discussions to this model

Calibrating Leo Laporte's Samsung KN55S9C OLED TV :

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1491901/calibrating-leo-laportes-samsung-kn55s9c-oled-tv
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 595 Old 10-02-2013, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Thanks for starting this thread.

Is a 10pt white balance adjustment possilbe with the S9C? Scott Wilkinson's video shows a 2pt calibration, with offset and gain controls for the low end and high end only.
post #3 of 595 Old 10-02-2013, 09:58 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks! Just got mine, I'm very pleased with it. Haven't gotten it calibrated yet but am using the settings described on the Calibration done here on the Leo Laporte TV. The image has lived up to my high expectations. Super darks, good color accuracy, and as bright as I need it to be in a daylight lit room. It really excels and shows off good source material.

Most pleasant discovery: 3D. Have watched a few movies and an event, both on BluRay and Comcast cable, and I am getting more out of it than I expected. Disappointment: The Smart features are not living up to my expectations. Voice command especially has been almost unusable. I puzzled because I found voice command on one of the other Samsung Smart TVs to be fairly accurate and effective. I'm hoping a firmware update improves this.

SeattleStargazer
post #4 of 595 Old 10-02-2013, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 358
post #5 of 595 Old 10-02-2013, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleStarGazer View Post

Thanks! Just got mine, I'm very pleased with it. Haven't gotten it calibrated yet but am using the settings described on the Calibration done here on the Leo Laporte TV. The image has lived up to my high expectations. Super darks, good color accuracy, and as bright as I need it to be in a daylight lit room. It really excels and shows off good source material.

Most pleasant discovery: 3D. Have watched a few movies and an event, both on BluRay and Comcast cable, and I am getting more out of it than I expected. Disappointment: The Smart features are not living up to my expectations. Voice command especially has been almost unusable. I puzzled because I found voice command on one of the other Samsung Smart TVs to be fairly accurate and effective. I'm hoping a firmware update improves this.

Congrats! Mine should be in next week. I'll see if I have the same issue with voice feature.

JWhip reported some blooming while watching a bright image against a black background. Have you noticed this on your new set? It might be easier to spot at the end credits of a movie. See if the black area around the letters glow as well. JWhip said some areas looked gray.
post #6 of 595 Old 10-02-2013, 03:12 PM

I will check that out, I may have noticed some on The Hobbit. However, it was far less noticeable than I had on my full LED backlit 51" Samsung.

If you try the voice commands, please let me know how or if that works for ya!

SeattleStargazer
post #7 of 595 Old 10-02-2013, 09:52 PM
AVS Special Member

From the Crutchfield site...check out the free calibration offer

TV Features:
54.6" screen (measured diagonally)
gently curved glossy screen, curved floating frame
tuner receives over-the-air HDTV broadcasts (antenna required)
QAM cable TV tuner (subscription required to receive cable channels — contact your local service provider for details)
OLED (Organic Light Emitting Diode) display panel with 1080p screen resolution (1920 x 1080 pixels)
self-illuminating OLED panel produces infinite picture contrast and absolute black
Samsung's "Real OLED" direct-emission architecture uses red, green, and blue sub-pixels, with no color filters needed, for pure colors
displays 3D images when you wear Samsung's active 3D glasses (2 pairs of Multi View glasses are included)
2D-to-3D conversion adds 3D-like depth to non-3D video sources
Multi View lets two people watch different shows on the same screen at the same time (requires use of included 3D glasses)
Super Resolution Engine video upconversion
Internet-ready Smart TV — plays Netflix® video and more (subscription required for some services)
supports up to 5.1-channel audio with streaming movie services like Netflix and Vudu™ (audio quality depends on your connection speed)
you can find a complete list of Internet apps for this TV at Samsung's guide for apps
built-in Wi-Fi® to link to a wireless network
Smart Interaction 2.0 voice and gesture control
Smart Evolution upgradable design
top-mounted camera
quad-core processor for improved web browsing and app multitasking
AllShare™ video and music streaming from a DLNA-compatible Windows® PC
MHL-compatible HDMI input for viewing photos/videos from a compatible smartphone on the TV's screen
2-way screen mirroring via Wi-Fi — send content wirelessly from device-to-TV or TV-to-device with compatible Samsung smartphones and tablets
Skype™ Internet calling (subscription required)
built-in stereo speakers (10 watts x 2 plus 20 watts for woofer)
illuminated touchpad remote with built-in microphone for voice control
free downloadable Android app lets you use a compatible smartphone or tablet as a remote control
Anynet+ simplifies control of compatible Samsung components via the HDMI connection (HDMI-CEC)
meets ENERGY STAR® requirements
TV is not wall-mountable
55-13/16"W x 30-5/8"H x 7-1/2"D (14-1/2"D on stand)
weight: 68.1 lbs. with stand; 60 lbs. without stand
free Samsung VIP Service includes in-home TV calibration by a Samsung Field Engineer
warranty: 1 year parts & labor (15 months with Samsung VIP setup service)
Our 60-day money-back guarantee
One Connect Box Features:
6 A/V inputs, including:
4 HDMI
1 component video (selectable component/composite)
1 composite video
RF input for antenna/cable signals
optical digital audio output (may only pass 2-channel audio from HDMI-connected sources)
stereo minijack output for connecting a sound bar or home stereo system
Ethernet port for a wired connection to a home network
2 USB inputs for connecting a camera or thumb drive
includes 3-meter proprietary cable to connect box to TV
14-3/16"W x 1-1/16"H x 5-1/8"D
post #8 of 595 Old 10-03-2013, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pres2play View Post

Congrats! Mine should be in next week. I'll see if I have the same issue with voice feature.

JWhip reported some blooming while watching a bright image against a black background. Have you noticed this on your new set? It might be easier to spot at the end credits of a movie. See if the black area around the letters glow as well. JWhip said some areas looked gray.

I tried looking at white text in the credits of The Hobbit in a dark room. Frankly, I couldn't tell if the pixels around the text were gray or not. I did 'see' marginally lighter areas around the text, but couldn't tell if it was the TV or the bright text causing flare in my own eyes (I have mild cataract onset), or slight refraction in the glass covering the actual display. In any case it was pretty minor.

SeattleStargazer
post #9 of 595 Old 10-03-2013, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for checking. Sounds good.

The Hobbit must look awesome. Can't wait to see it on this set in 3D.

Post some pix if you can.
post #10 of 595 Old 10-03-2013, 02:29 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Stopped into Value Electronics today and they were showing the Hobbit on the OLED. Looks stunning. After about 1/2 hour we switched to Dark Night and then 3D with Hugo. Wow this TV has an exceptional picture quality. The blacks are pure black with every little detail in the very dark scenes and the same goes for whites, pure as a fresh show with every tiny detail. Looks better than the 4k TVs.

In 3D the image brightness increased significantly and the 3D picture was brighter (but not too bright) than I had ever seen before. Very dynamic and kind of a new looking 3D experience.

I'm not bothered by the slight curve and actually like the look. It's so minimal that the pin-cushioning is hard to see and once the image comes on the screen who can even see it or complain about, well..... anything. This is video heaven, and now it's available on Earth.
post #11 of 595 Old 10-03-2013, 03:17 PM

I don't have any experience with 3D TV except with the new set, so I have no basis for comparison, but am really enjoying it. Watched the first half hour or so of the Wizard of Oz, I'm enjoying it but the 3D is not like it was shot in native 3D, but still immersive.

SeattleStargazer
post #12 of 595 Old 10-03-2013, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

The last thing I watched at home in 3D I watched wearing paper glasses. Man, have things changed.
post #13 of 595 Old 10-03-2013, 05:38 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Congrats to all the owners on your purchase, hopefully these sets last you a long time. If any of you have a chance to watch some sports, what are your impressions? especially football and hockey. Also, would love to see some pics of your set up, if you guys don't mind posting.
post #14 of 595 Old 10-03-2013, 07:25 PM
AVS Special Member

My set arrives next week. I will watch all sorts of programming, and try the game mode for those who might be interested. The word is, lag is too long for serious gaming. Pix to follow.
post #15 of 595 Old 10-03-2013, 08:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I don't have any experience with 3D TV except with the new set, so I have no basis for comparison, but am really enjoying it. Watched the first half hour or so of the Wizard of Oz, I'm enjoying it but the 3D is not like it was shot in native 3D, but still immersive.

I might pick it up. I have the 70th Anniversary Collector's Edition and I like the restore.
post #16 of 595 Old 10-04-2013, 03:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Here's the review I did a couple weeks ago after testing the TV in the store for a few hours:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/681125/oled-tvs-technology-advancements-thread/6810#post_23676649
post #17 of 595 Old 10-04-2013, 07:32 AM

More 3D viewing last night - finished the Wizard of Oz and the first half of Rise of the Guardians - stayed up way past my bedtime for even that. Yawn!

As someone new to 3D, and reading of the generally low adoption and interest in 3D, I was surprised that I would enjoy it so much. Now when viewing normal 2D programming, it just seems 'flat', to make a play on words. Again I haven't seen 3D extensively on other TVs, but I am blown away by the quality of the 3D on this set. Plenty bright (cell light at 15), good saturated colors, and very sharp. Especially RotG. Of The Hobbit, Wizard of Oz, and RotG, the first two were enhanced for me by 3D but Guardians is a whole different level - the snowflakes and tooth fairies hovering in front of the screen and the multiple layers of depth really drew me in. I viewed it in a dark room, which enhanced the immersion I think - no distractions. Anxious to get some more viewing in over the weekend, sandwiched between family activities and errands.

SeattleStargazer
post #18 of 595 Old 10-04-2013, 07:57 AM

Quote:

More 3D viewing last night - finished the Wizard of Oz and the first half of Rise of the Guardians - stayed up way past my bedtime for even that. Yawn!

Forgot to mention - The voice and picture in Oz did get 'out of sync' near the end of the movie, when they are talking with the Wizard.

SeattleStargazer
post #19 of 595 Old 10-04-2013, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Curious about the sync issue. Are you playing audio through a receiver, or are you going straight from the player to the TV?
post #20 of 595 Old 10-04-2013, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pres2play View Post

Curious about the sync issue. Are you playing audio through a receiver, or are you going straight from the player to the TV?

Through a receiver, Oppo BDP-103 to Pioneer SC-71 to television. I have been reading that others found sync issues wit the earlier Oz re-release.

SeattleStargazer
post #21 of 595 Old 10-04-2013, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Now that you mention it, I do recall hearing about it. I'll have to double check my 2D copy. Nice setup, BTW...Oppo players are badass. I have the BDP-105.
post #22 of 595 Old 10-04-2013, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

As someone new to 3D, and reading of the generally low adoption and interest in 3D, I was surprised that I would enjoy it so much. Now when viewing normal 2D programming, it just seems 'flat', to make a play on words. Again I haven't seen 3D extensively on other TVs, but I am blown away by the quality of the 3D on this set. Plenty bright (cell light at 15), good saturated colors, and very sharp. Especially RotG. Of The Hobbit, Wizard of Oz, and RotG, the first two were enhanced for me by 3D but Guardians is a whole different level - the snowflakes and tooth fairies hovering in front of the screen and the multiple layers of depth really drew me in. I viewed it in a dark room, which enhanced the immersion I think - no distractions. Anxious to get some more viewing in over the weekend, sandwiched between family activities and errands.

3D Bluray movies seem to be doing well; it's the 3D programs on TV that are tanking.
post #23 of 595 Old 10-04-2013, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizziwig View Post

Here's the review I did a couple weeks ago after testing the TV in the store for a few hours:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/681125/oled-tvs-technology-advancements-thread/6810#post_23676649

Nice review. The thing that worried me was the motion blur that I saw while I was at the store. From all the reviews I've seen, it appears that the Movie mode, with judder set to 0, alleviates this problem.
post #24 of 595 Old 10-04-2013, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Through a receiver, Oppo BDP-103 to Pioneer SC-71 to television. I have been reading that others found sync issues wit the earlier Oz re-release.

I just took a look at the movie, and the lip sync issue is there. Too bad it wasn't fixed in the 3D copy, nothing brings a tear like the goodbye scene tongue.gif
post #25 of 595 Old 10-05-2013, 09:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked: 584
I wonder why they are curved ? Why not have a flat version ?

Just so you guys know, LG 55EA9800 is out now as well...........

Forum Sponsor // \\
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1-866-651-0049 // \\
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

/
/

/

/
post #26 of 595 Old 10-05-2013, 11:02 AM

Liked: 25
The curved screen has been discussed quite a bit. Seems like Samsung, LG and now even Panasonic think it's cool to curve the screen. Most folks like it and say they don't notice the mild curve, others say they don't like it.

Glad to hear LG's OLED TVs are becoming more easily available and wonder if Samsung vs. LG look any different in regard to image quality? LG uses the less expensive white only OLED bulbs with red/green/blue filters whereas Samsung's OLED TV design is dedicated red/green and blue OLED lamps. Other technical differences seem to also benefit Samsung, like the no dead pixel performance and better motion resolution.

I've seen the Samsung at our local store and separately a few days earlier, LG's OLED at Best Buy in Paramus, NJ. It's not possible to know if they perform differently as the viewing environment was so vastly different. Samsung had a much better demo room set-up.
post #27 of 595 Old 10-05-2013, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

I wonder why they are curved ? Why not have a flat version ?

Just so you guys know, LG 55EA9800 is out now as well...........

Curved screen is pure marketing BS. Unless you are taking huge 100" screens. Just something to make it stand out and try to justify the huge price tag. Plus, the really have not solved the yield problems and this assures super micro sales numbers. Probably less than 1000 units worldwide by the end of the year.
post #28 of 595 Old 10-05-2013, 05:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 525
Quote:
Originally Posted by schnura View Post

The curved screen has been discussed quite a bit. Seems like Samsung, LG and now even Panasonic think it's cool to curve the screen. Most folks like it and say they don't notice the mild curve, others say they don't like it.

Pretty much no one anywhere was saying a year ago, "Boy, what I really wanted was a curved screen in what amounts to a tiny form factor." And pretty much no one is saying it now. It's not only a "solution in search of a problem" it actually creates as many problems as it solves. See below. VVV
Quote:
Originally Posted by sytech View Post

Curved screen is pure marketing BS. Unless you are taking huge 100" screens. Just something to make it stand out and try to justify the huge price tag. Plus, the really have not solved the yield problems and this assures super micro sales numbers. Probably less than 1000 units worldwide by the end of the year.

The only reasons it exists are what Sytech said and the fact they could do it. But differentiation for the sake of differentiation, especially when it's not actually a feature of the technology but rather an artifact of the manufacturing process, is flat out pointless.

And the degradation of the flat panel era with these non-flat TVs is just frankly bizarre. What makes it worse is that the "thinnest TVs ever" lose the ability to be practically wall mounted (even if you can, why would you, it's just odd and not particularly flush to the wall) and you lose the ability to appreciate the record thinness. Of course, the latter dovetails with something I warned about a year ago: Too thin is a problem. It's hard to keep that rigid and not turn it into something hopelessly fragile. That said, if you could mount the "too thin" thing to the wall, you lose almost all of the problems associated with thinness and retain its many advantages.

The sales number I am interested in now is 2014: Over/under on 100K, globally, across both manufacturers.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working.
post #29 of 595 Old 10-05-2013, 05:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 47
In a local, non top tier bb showroom in my area. Walking past a wall of LEDs in magnolia

Ask a rep if any olds in. To my surprise he sez yep. There on the bottom
shelf of the led wall, all playing espn via direct, was the samsung.

No special setup, no signs, nothing to differentiate it from the other 2 dozen panels.
with the crappy feed it looked identical to all the others

The Sammy and Sony 4ks both had the concierge setups going.

heck of a way to try and sell a 9k display
go figure
filmoreXXX likes this.

neflixis our nemesis
post #30 of 595 Old 10-05-2013, 05:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Here's my Pioneer HD5080 50" plasma on a Bello TV stand. The set is about 7 years old and hasn't been professionally calibrated. I did make a few adjustments in the service menu when I first got it, using D-Nice's offset recommendations, below. The screen shots are not as clear as they should be, so bear with me while I get reacquainted with my Nikon P90. I'll post the same images on the OLED before doing any calibration.

R High: +3
G High: 0
B High: -10
R Low: -12
G Low: 0
B Low: -13

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
Samsung Kn55s9c Curved Panel Smart 3d Oled Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page