Forum Jump: 
 1084Likes

post #3061 of 7013 Old 05-18-2014, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 328
I've got star wars on blu as well but ouch on those episodes 1-3......just ouch lol.

If I sow a wind now, I will reap a storm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3062 of 7013 Old 05-18-2014, 01:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theplague13 View Post

I've got star wars on blu as well but ouch on those episodes 1-3......just ouch lol.

http://driveclub.eu.playstation.com/1080p

Seen this? Drive Club is gonna be friggin amazing on this TV

LG 55EA9700 OLED
post #3063 of 7013 Old 05-18-2014, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 757
Quote:

Yeah you're right, sorry I reread some of the posts and missed that. was p
Out of the loop since last night. The near blacks look fairly poor on my set too....not quite that bad but I think it really varires from panel to panel there also. My first panel didn't have those 'streaks'. Wow those are more like distinct bars that streaks though, luckily you're getting a new set because it seems like this one was cherry picked from the bottom of the barrel

In lighter news Im doing the TDK trilogy now, which has stellar blacks. Did Batman begins last night and there is no extra wear! Still just the line on that one spot, it seems permanent in the lower right corner, so odd. But other than that it didn't compound any further. Will be doing TDK tonight

And the roller-coaster begins to ascend anew... biggrin.gif

To the extent that what you and Vinnie have been experiencing and doing as far as stress & recovery, etc... things are starting to sound like with some sort of pre-conditioning, many of the worst image uniformity / IR effects you have seen may be avoided / minimized.

If between you, you could both come up with some recommended preconditioning test / guidelines (what you would each do with a new panel if you were ever to receive one), we might be able to convince coopson to try your recommended pre-conditioning process on his new panel when it arrives.

Having a user on the board who has direct experience with these issues on one WOLED successfully avoid them on a second would bring the roller-coaster to a new all-time high
vaktmestern likes this.
post #3064 of 7013 Old 05-18-2014, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked: 957
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterbrew2 View Post

Quote:

http://driveclub.eu.playstation.com/1080p

Seen this? Drive Club is gonna be friggin amazing on this TV
I still think the OLED reference film would be Sin City...

Send this to all your friends! When will this stupidity end? So hysterical: Vertical Video Syndrome --- a PSA.
post #3065 of 7013 Old 05-18-2014, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post

Quote:

Yeah you're right, sorry I reread some of the posts and missed that. was p
Out of the loop since last night. The near blacks look fairly poor on my set too....not quite that bad but I think it really varires from panel to panel there also. My first panel didn't have those 'streaks'. Wow those are more like distinct bars that streaks though, luckily you're getting a new set because it seems like this one was cherry picked from the bottom of the barrel

In lighter news Im doing the TDK trilogy now, which has stellar blacks. Did Batman begins last night and there is no extra wear! Still just the line on that one spot, it seems permanent in the lower right corner, so odd. But other than that it didn't compound any further. Will be doing TDK tonight

To the extent that what you and Vinnie have been experiencing and doing as far as stress & recovery, etc... things are starting to sound like with some sort of pre-conditioning, many of the worst image uniformity / IR effects you have seen may be avoided / minimized.

If between you, you could both come up with some recommended preconditioning test / guidelines (what you would each do with a new panel if you were ever to receive one), we might be able to convince coopson to try your recommended pre-conditioning process on his new panel when it arrives.

Having a user on the board who has direct experience with these issues on one WOLED successfully avoid them on a second would bring the roller-coaster to a new all-time high
nice thought, but things are still pretty random, no?

Send this to all your friends! When will this stupidity end? So hysterical: Vertical Video Syndrome --- a PSA.
post #3066 of 7013 Old 05-18-2014, 02:15 PM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post

I still think the OLED reference film would be Sin City...

Not a fan of the visual style in that one. Blade Runner on the other hand looks mighty fine.

LG 55EA9700 OLED
post #3067 of 7013 Old 05-18-2014, 02:16 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Just watched Gravity didn't see any DSE and besides the picture being great its actually a good movie.
post #3068 of 7013 Old 05-18-2014, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Watchman, please owners watch the extended cut of Watchman on this tv, please. I've watched it a hundred times on many sets and I've always thought it was filmed to intentionally induce crush until I saw it on this.
herpderp likes this.

post #3069 of 7013 Old 05-18-2014, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

After
Quote:

After I finish my trilogy I'll dive into this one.

post #3070 of 7013 Old 05-18-2014, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by conan48 View Post

Here is my ratings for motion:

1. Score: 10 Sony HD 34" crt (currently own) No persistence, no GtG blur. Overall picture pales in comparison to LG OLED.

2. Score : 9 LG OLED.(currently own) Perfect GtG, 600 lines

3. Score : 8 Optoma 7900 DLP.(currently own) Near Perfect GtG, 300 lines.

3. Score: 7.5 Panasonic 32" LED LCD.(currently own) using scanning backlight (no flicker). 1080 lines, Some GtG

3. Score: 6.5 Panasonic VT50. 1080 lines, poor GtG.

4. Score: 6.0 Sony 65" 4K 900a. 1080 lines, poor GtG, noticeable flicker in strobing modes (clear)

5. Score: 5.0 Samsung 52" 8000 series. 1080 lines, Very poor GtG.

6. Score: 3.0 Samsung LCD 52" (currently own) VERY poor GtG, 300 lines)

No idea why you're banned in the other thread, so I'll reply here.

My scoring order would be fairly similar although I would bunch everything below the CRT into 0-7 range. With motion, either you see the same clarity in motion as you do when video is paused or you don't. There is no middle ground for me. It's like comparing black. You either have true black or you have some version of gray. I will not be satisfied until we have results that any cheap CRT TV could easily achieve a decade ago.

I think this is only a real concern for gamers. Most video content is too slow and contains too much source blur to matter what you watch it on. I'm not bothered by judder but agree that it's emphasized by strobing. It's similar to the effect of playing 30Hz games on CRT.

Have you ever checked out an SXRD projector with BFI on 60 fps games? I was very impressed with the older VW85. Unfortunately all 1080p Sony projectors have too short of a throw ratio to work in my current theater. The 4K models are too laggy.

I hope BFI does make an appearance on the next LG OLED. It helped a lot when I tested it on the Samsung OLED. Hopefully LG will be bright enough with it enabled.
post #3071 of 7013 Old 05-18-2014, 03:27 PM
AVS Special Member

^^^yeah, FWIW I asked a moderator to put him back in the other thread.  Not that I have any weight around here or any say at all of course, but I really do think that the current level of motion blur theory (or whateverTF we call it now) is just not including enough folks' observations.

And I sure don't want to revisit that entire conversation over here as well when it belongs back over in this thread:

Outlook for Blur Reduction in OLED (or the lack thereof)

Among the problems I have are that the tests are having us refer to things as persistence vs. GtG blur and I'm not at all convinced its not the tests themselves that are flawed.  Far too big a deal for this otherwise tightly chartered thread.

post #3072 of 7013 Old 05-18-2014, 03:32 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1011
Quote:

I would say so. Couple that with the fact that I don't fire up the grayscale as much as I did in the first 400 hours, fafrd might be a little premature with the contention. tongue.gif Preliminarily, I would say stay away from both fixed images and letterbox screens in at least the first 400 hours.
Vegas oled likes this.
post #3073 of 7013 Old 05-18-2014, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

Quote:

I would say so. Couple that with the fact that I don't fire up the grayscale as much as I did in the first 400 hours, fafrd might be a little premature with the contention. tongue.gif Preliminarily, I would say stay away from both fixed images and letterbox screens in at least the first 400 hours.

Christ, after listening to you guys I'd be staying away from plugging it in for the first 400 hours....

Vegas oled likes this.

post #3074 of 7013 Old 05-18-2014, 04:57 PM

Gonna stick a street fighter stream on loads of static logos see how it handles it.
post #3075 of 7013 Old 05-18-2014, 05:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopson View Post

Gonna stick a street fighter stream on loads of static logos see how it handles it.

I'm waiting for you to repeat you 480p 1:1 test to see if the stress and recovery actions you have taken in the meantime reduce that IR effect or not.

That grey rectangle you posted after watching an hour of bright 480p 1:1 was pretty impressive (and slightly scary eek.gif)

Also hoping that someone can take a picture through a magnifying glass of these grey screen so that we can see which subpixels are active (ideally at the boundary of an IR rectangle if you create one :-)

Any word on when your new panel is coming yet?
post #3076 of 7013 Old 05-18-2014, 05:33 PM

Quote:

I'm waiting for you to repeat you 480p 1:1 test to see if the stress and recovery actions you have taken in the meantime reduce that IR effect or not.

That grey rectangle you posted after watching an hour of bright 480p 1:1 was pretty impressive (and slightly scary eek.gif)

Also hoping that someone can take a picture through a magnifying glass of these grey screen so that we can see which subpixels are active (ideally at the boundary of an IR rectangle if you create one :-)

Any word on when your new panel is coming yet?

No word yet on the new set gonna phone them up Monday.
post #3077 of 7013 Old 05-18-2014, 06:15 PM

Was watching the SF4 stream for about 1 hour and 15 minutes.

post #3078 of 7013 Old 05-18-2014, 06:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopson View Post

Was watching the SF4 stream for about 1 hour and 15 minutes.

What the frig is that??????

post #3079 of 7013 Old 05-18-2014, 06:26 PM

Quote:

What the frig is that??????

Its the ultra/super bar.

post #3080 of 7013 Old 05-18-2014, 06:30 PM

The stream doesn't stay on nothing but the game too it switch's to the commentators a lot and shows ads so the game isn't on the whole time with the HUD

Edit: I cant see the health bars find that a little odd.
post #3081 of 7013 Old 05-18-2014, 06:44 PM

Its already faded quite a bit got to look hard for it now but can just make out the shape of it.
post #3082 of 7013 Old 05-18-2014, 08:01 PM
AVS Special Member

In light of this I'm certain that breaking the panel in with slides helps with static image retention, if not aspect ratio retention. Honestly it seems to me that 400 hours unfortunately is optimal because after 250 I incurred a small line from 2 hours of viewing and after 300 vinnie incurred massive bars from 12 hours and I'm not sure how his is fairing now but I broke mine in another 150 hours after the wear I got and I watched Schindkers list (3 hours) two days ago , batman begins (2 1/2 hour) last night and just finished Dark Knight (2 1/2) hours now and no more compounded burn from any of those, not to mention the hours of gaming I've been doing over the weekend in between with static images up the wazzoo.....

The burn in line from 2:40:1 is still there in that one spot it began on until I stopped the movie and went back to slides and full screen content for 150 more hours. As far as Huds are concerned too breaking in the panel must have contributed to me not getting those burned in either. The letters that IR'D from that disc after 20 minutes (things like that may just randomly happen sometimes) went away after a white slide over night, and some more full screen viewing but they weren't like a hud , because they were white letters over a pure black screen .

For me the rollercoaster is indeed ascending again (enjoying everything again), but caution doth be thou middle nameth.

post #3083 of 7013 Old 05-18-2014, 08:25 PM

400 is the magic # for us both, whoda' thought. The only difference is I'm not intently looking at grayscale these days. However, that 12-hour marathon certainly did make it noticeable on full-screen content. I think I'll just soldier through all 6 Star Wars (somewhat torturous but at least it'll look damn good) episodes and follow it up with a full-screen film when I'm finished. If I don't detect unevenness during that film, that will indeed be a good sign and will show at least a trend developing that I hope Coop can implement once he receives his panel.
post #3084 of 7013 Old 05-18-2014, 08:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

400 is the magic # for us both, whoda' thought. The only difference is I'm not intently looking at grayscale these days. However, that 12-hour marathon certainly did make it noticeable on full-screen content. I think I'll just soldier through all 6 Star Wars (somewhat torturous but at least it'll look damn good) episodes and follow it up with a full-screen film when I'm finished. If I don't detect unevenness during that film, that will indeed be a good sign and will show at least a trend developing that I hope Coop can implement once he receives his panel.

OK, so you both seem to be agreeing that 400 hours of pre-conditioning on a new WOLED panel may allow most of the image uniformity / IR effects you have experienced from letterbox bars and HUD to be avoided. Any opinion as to whether there would be a significant difference if that 400-hour preconditioning treatment was in the form of full-screen video content as opposed to color slides? Even if you were to leave your set on 24 hours a day, 400 hours equates to almost 2-and-a-half weeks eek.gif
post #3085 of 7013 Old 05-18-2014, 09:52 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Even if you were to leave your set on 24 hours a day, 400 hours equates to almost 2-and-a-half weeks eek.gif

Given that you can just mute it that's not a huge deal.... I left my F8500 on for about 2 weeks 24/7 to get the buzz to come down to more reasonable levels(it did). Breaking in speakers is a much more obnoxious task :p

post #3086 of 7013 Old 05-18-2014, 10:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

OK, so you both seem to be agreeing that 400 hours of pre-conditioning on a new WOLED panel may allow most of the image uniformity / IR effects you have experienced from letterbox bars and HUD to be avoided. Any opinion as to whether there would be a significant difference if that 400-hour preconditioning treatment was in the form of full-screen video content as opposed to color slides? Even if you were to leave your set on 24 hours a day, 400 hours equates to almost 2-and-a-half weeks eek.gif

Full screen content was part of my 400 hours. I'd leave it on slides through the day/night (shutting it off once every couple nights to give it a rest), but I still used it during that period when I wanted to as long as it was all fullscreen. I did the whole of breaking bad during that time wink.gif

post #3087 of 7013 Old 05-18-2014, 11:35 PM

If you read back through this growing thread, you'll see I interspersed that break-in time with full-screen content as well. Both methods achieve the same overall effect, equitable usage of the full panel, backplane and all. Star Wars II done now...from Jar Jar Goofiness to contrived romantic sappiness. Shoot me now.
post #3088 of 7013 Old 05-19-2014, 01:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:

If you read back through this growing thread, you'll see I interspersed that break-in time with full-screen content as well. Both methods achieve the same overall effect, equitable usage of the full panel, backplane and all. Star Wars II done now...from Jar Jar Goofiness to contrived romantic sappiness. Shoot me now.

Iirc next 4 episodes will be more enjoyable than the first 2

so 400 may just be the magic # for oled the way 200 was for the kuros

neflixis our nemesis
post #3089 of 7013 Old 05-19-2014, 07:21 AM

New set isn't coming to 27th so I have plenty of time to mess around with this one.
post #3090 of 7013 Old 05-19-2014, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Wait on that.  I have another thought forming in me 'ead.

A growing theory.  I'll only mention it now because you said you were a fan of my theories.

Instead of a full page harsh B/W pixel flipper (I still have a lot of faith in that one even though I'm wondering if ABL is defeating the white), what if we use a moving bright line pattern?  Several variants I have in mind, but something like the following with bright white lines on absolute black.  Note...ABL could not engage here:

################     ################     ################
# |            #     #   |          #     #        |     #
#-+------------#     #   |          #     #        |     #
# |            # ==> #---+----------# ==> #        |     #  (etc....)
# |            #     #   |          #     #--------+-----#
# |            #     #   |          #     #        |     #
################     ################     ################

Or perhaps this bad boy:

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
Lg 55ea9800 Oled Hdtv , Lg
Gear in this thread