post #3241 of 6987 Old 05-22-2014, 02:43 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morning5 View Post

Hello, a question for owners who have played games on this OLED:

Would you rate your gaming experience on this tv as magnificent, very good or good?

It is closer to magnificent than the other two.

What factors do you rate when it comes to gaming?

LG 55EA9700 OLED
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3242 of 6987 Old 05-22-2014, 06:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post

I knew it'd be an incredible experience on an oled! Ironically tonight, totally by accident I happened upon the 2nd half of sin city on pay TV and even on my LCD that thing is a tower of visual achievement. I can't imagine what it would look like on your set.

What LCD do you have, TGM?

If I sow a wind now, I will reap a storm.
post #3243 of 6987 Old 05-22-2014, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked: 931
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theplague13 View Post

Quote:

I knew it'd be an incredible experience on an oled! Ironically tonight, totally by accident I happened upon the 2nd half of sin city on pay TV and even on my LCD that thing is a tower of visual achievement. I can't imagine what it would look like on your set.

What LCD do you have, TGM?

2013 KDL-60R550A.  Looked great.

Don't read this if you haven't seen the movie yet. (Click to show)

By the way Sin City only had one failing IMO: the dialog in the sub plot of "The Big Fat Kill" while spot-on script-wise, in delivery it needed heavy directing that wasn't there.  The scene direction was flawless and the script itself was lifted faithfully from the graphic novels, but there was something about the actual speaking of Dwight, Gale, and Manute that sounded stilted---and not graphic-novel stilted---just not quite right.  And that's too bad because it really is a great great story line, and the cast was otherwise perfect: Clive Owen in particular was a spot-on casting.  The words were perfect, it's just his tone wasn't right.  Nor was Gale's.

Contrast it with how flawlessly Bruce Willis pulled off his character.  He spoke with a tone and reverberance that sounded to me exactly like how an old timer nuts-and-bolts Detective John Hartigan was supposed to sound.  And Jessica Alba was perfect as well.  For instance, her talking back to Roark Jr. ("you're pathetic") was gritty and emotionally real.  Back in Fat Kill, Gale's talking to Dwight came off flat.  Again, not the words themselves, the delivery.  In the graphic novel it reads great.

Overall though, that's a very minor complaint for such a film.  When it was over I had the very same "HMOG did they do a good job" feeling I had leaving the theater years ago.

Java developers, when I saw what has been placed into Java 8 I was immediately reminded of how I've spent so much of my life trying to protect engineers from themselves. Lambda expressions are a horrible idea. Gentlemen: the goal isn't to make code readable for a competent mid-level engineer. The goal is to make code readable for a competent mid-level engineer exhausted and hopped up on caffeine at 3 am. What a disaster Java 8 is!
post #3244 of 6987 Old 05-22-2014, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

By the way, two of my favorite sub-characters of all time Shlubb and Klump managed their delusions of grandeur perfectly.  My favorite lines:

Quote:

Klump: And, if my current state of much-justified petulance permits me to press the point, you are likeways demonstratably bereft of a working understanding of the perimeters of our beforementioned mission at hand.
Klump: Relevant to said mission is the following query I now put forth to you. Said query concerning matters strictly spatial in nature... Wherein this most streamlined and trunkless of transports, boner-inspiring though it may be, wherein are we to reposit our recently deceased cargo?

Java developers, when I saw what has been placed into Java 8 I was immediately reminded of how I've spent so much of my life trying to protect engineers from themselves. Lambda expressions are a horrible idea. Gentlemen: the goal isn't to make code readable for a competent mid-level engineer. The goal is to make code readable for a competent mid-level engineer exhausted and hopped up on caffeine at 3 am. What a disaster Java 8 is!
post #3245 of 6987 Old 05-22-2014, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

(Further on this OT branch)...

Holy crap this looks great!

post #3246 of 6987 Old 05-22-2014, 07:37 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 79
That's not far away from what I see on 5% grey I told you I see a grid like patten and compairing a old cheap LCD to a expensive new OLED isnt fair one costs way more then the other.

That picture isn't even that much worse then the greys we've posted you can see a massive square slap bang in the middle of the screen.
post #3247 of 6987 Old 05-22-2014, 07:41 AM

I think this TV is great for gaming the input lag isn't high enoughe to be noticed at all you might run into DSE with 2D games like super meat boy but it looked great with Alan wake.
post #3248 of 6987 Old 05-22-2014, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopson View Post

That's not far away from what I see on 5% grey I told you I see a grid like patten and compairing a old cheap LCD to a expensive new OLED isnt fair one costs way more then the other.

That picture isn't even that much worse then the greys we've posted you can see a massive square slap bang in the middle of the screen.

What's interesting to me is that I tried very hard to see disappointing blacks in Sin City last night on my LCD, and I just couldn't.  The moment light hits your eyes, your iris reacts and clamps downward the bottommost gray to black.  I'm sure side by side it'd be obvious, but I couldn't see one bit of flashlighting or non-uniformity like I can on the all-black startup screen (which they apparently don't frame-dim).

post #3249 of 6987 Old 05-22-2014, 07:48 AM

Quote:

What's interesting to me is that I tried very hard to see disappointing blacks in Sin City last night on my LCD, and I just couldn't.  The moment light hits your eyes, your iris reacts and clamps downward the bottommost gray to black.  I'm sure side by side it'd be obvious, but I couldn't see one bit of flashlighting or non-uniformity like I can on the all-black startup screen (which they apparently don't frame-dim).

I know what you mean but the better blacks just make it stand out more its because this TV has more shades of grey our 15% grey might be your black but sin city looks great no matter what OLED just makes it all the sweater.
post #3250 of 6987 Old 05-22-2014, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Se the 970v is now listed n for sale here smile.gif

Will se during summer what i decide to do ..
post #3251 of 6987 Old 05-22-2014, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Quote:

Was this in a dark room?
post #3252 of 6987 Old 05-22-2014, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Im not familiar with the graphic novels unfortunately, so I had to Google inquire what "The Big Fat Kill" was lol, and I somewhat agree with you, though not so much on the acting which I thought was delivered convincingly, but the entire segment seemed misplaced to me. When it cut back to Bruce Willis' segment I was left wondering why they cut it in half to insert that storyline as it it didn't seem to tie in in any significant way, which I was expecting to see by the end. But alas I can't remember my first viewing as it was so long ago, and I never read the books so maybe I just need to watch it again (also I hope I'm getting the part you were talking about correctly) as I could've missed something. And I surely will watch it again.

The spectacle was all there at every moment. There was crush but it was obviously intentional and what detail was present was beyond finely tuned. Every single pixel was either completely deactivated, or a shining, radiant beacon throughout the film. Nothing clipped, including the unusually "poppy" colors which introduced themselves from time to time. There are truly no compromises with a film like this on a set like this; you get all the blacks with all the contrast and that to me, while I watched in awe, was where I could envision a tradeoff having to be made between having the film play on an LCD and a plasma side by side.

Mildly off topic but whatever; on the audio front dialogue actually followed the characters on screen across all three front channels, which is very unusual but extraordinarily welcomed, as bass was ever-present in the richness of every channel without ever once interfering with the audability and clarity of dialogue: a rarity during high-action sequences in almost any home theater.

Has anybody watched the extended cut, where all the episodes are separated? For some reason I feel it might make more sense to watch that way, as I didn't see certain strings attach the way most films which cut between characters throughout do.

There's that other movie filmed in the same style of extreme black and white with sparing color but I hear it's awful; the spirit. I want to see it now just for the visual awe though. And it has a 7.1 soundtrack.

post #3253 of 6987 Old 05-22-2014, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizziwig View Post

Quote:

Was this in a dark room?

Except from the stark white in the movie lightening it up, yep.

post #3254 of 6987 Old 05-22-2014, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The spectacle was all there at every moment. There was crush but it was obviously intentional and what detail was present was beyond finely tuned. Every single pixel was either completely deactivated, or a shining, radiant beacon throughout the film.

There were significant gray levels that weren't so present in the graphic novel, but they were truncated shapes often carefully defined by stark boundaries.  I think they did that to keep the audience eye fatigue down....if they went as all-or-nothing as the graphic novels, even we comic purists would have been wincing by the end.  The movie was 2/3rds a normal black and white film, but you'd never realize it.  Very carefully done.  The graphic novel however looked like it was drawn with a fountain pen....seriously.

Tell me what 300 looks like.

post #3255 of 6987 Old 05-22-2014, 12:37 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1011
^Grainy! I'll have to fire that one up eventually since it's also in my collection. Still trudging through the galaxy far, far away at the present time. Episode V was a beaute. High-contrast scenes depicting deep space or scenes with low-lighting are an awe-inspiring spectacle to behold. wink.gif There is still campiness in these older films, but it certainly does seem to be held in check in comparison to the prequels.
post #3256 of 6987 Old 05-22-2014, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 584
Anyone remember when LG first launched their top-end line of washers that had the new steam feature? It was like 300% more expensive than a typical washer.

My wife had to have one.

& Now they are everywhere.

I'm starting to get that same feeling with these LG OLEDs, all they need now is the '4K tramp stamp' so that people don't have to make ridiculous resolution choices biggrin.gif
post #3257 of 6987 Old 05-22-2014, 03:37 PM
AVS Special Member

I was planning on running through IV-VI next week as well, it's been so long. The prequels are in the same league as Godfather 3 for me; nonexistant. Ignoring the existence of plot threads in a canon I otherwise enjoy tends to work out surprisingly well lol.

The Star Wars blu rays are awesome but there are 2 changes in particular that I hate to the point of no return. Well the first is the obvious "Han shoots first" which is totally old news. Thesecond cones all the way at the end.....I'm assuming this isn't the first time you've seen the bku rays, and it isn't much of a spoiler anyway as I'm sure everyone knows how the trilogy ends but.....

All I'm going to say is "NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!"

If you've watched them you'll already know what I'm referring to. It's just so unbearably childish!

post #3258 of 6987 Old 05-22-2014, 03:58 PM

Quote:

I was planning on running through IV-VI next week as well, it's been so long. The prequels are in the same league as Godfather 3 for me; nonexistant. Ignoring the existence of plot threads in a canon I otherwise enjoy tends to work out surprisingly well lol.

The Star Wars blu rays are awesome but there are 2 changes in particular that I hate to the point of no return. Well the first is the obvious "Han shoots first" which is totally old news. Thesecond cones all the way at the end.....I'm assuming this isn't the first time you've seen the bku rays, and it isn't much of a spoiler anyway as I'm sure everyone knows how the trilogy ends but.....

All I'm going to say is "NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!"

If you've watched them you'll already know what I'm referring to. It's just so unbearably childish!

All I'm gonna say is the originals are no better then the prequels bad acting, eworks and scruffy looking nerf herder.
post #3259 of 6987 Old 05-22-2014, 04:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by conan48 View Post

I'm sick and tired of you constantly bringing up how poor motion on OLED is when your wrong. You, are just scaring potential owners with no basis for your opinion.
Quote:

^^^You have a history here of being ascerbic and baiting.  I'll not enter into this debate with you again.

The arrogance of man is that he thinks he is in control of nature instead of the other way around. Let them fight.

'Best comment on one of my AVS reviews ever, "What did I just try to read!" Latest: Snow joke - six foot rabbits and the run-a-way brain.
post #3260 of 6987 Old 05-22-2014, 05:09 PM

^Hello zombie necro references (3 weeks is a long time in this thread tongue.gif).

Plague, everything I've watched on this set so far, I've had in my collection and seen prior, lol. The most striking parts that Lucas has changed are the CGI enhancements (i.e. Jabba). Since I saw the original films maybe only once, the changes that have been made are not all that striking to me. Once I get to the end, I'm sure I'll recollect your reference. Coop, Mark Hamill definitely appeared amateurish at the beginning but seemed to become more comfortable with the role as the episodes wore on.
post #3261 of 6987 Old 05-22-2014, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

^Hello zombie necro references (3 weeks is a long time in this thread tongue.gif).

Plague, everything I've watched on this set so far, I've had in my collection and seen prior, lol. The most striking parts that Lucas has changed are the CGI enhancements (i.e. Jabba). Since I saw the original films maybe only once, the changes that have been made are not all that striking to me. Once I get to the end, I'm sure I'll recollect your reference. Coop, Mark Hamill definitely appeared amateurish at the beginning but seemed to become more comfortable with the role as the episodes wore on.

I like star wars but the prequels are no worse then the originals.
post #3262 of 6987 Old 05-22-2014, 05:38 PM

IV-VI are better by virtue of there being no Jar Jar and no hopelessly sappy romancing (ok, there may be some of the latter in VI to be fair). wink.gif The hard-to-get moments with Harrison and Carrie with Mark in the middle are at least halfway decent comedic relief!
post #3263 of 6987 Old 05-22-2014, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowknown View Post

The arrogance of man is that he thinks he is in control of nature instead of the other way around. Let them fight.

Why would you want to dig that up now?  Talk about arrogance.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

No kidding, huh?  3 weeks is a long time in any thread.

post #3264 of 6987 Old 05-22-2014, 06:18 PM

Well, in a thread with a discussion pace that more closely resembles that of a snail, I might understand (with the timing part, not the point of highlighting those random posts). The posts in question are from 11 pages back (using the 100-post per thread forum setting, many more pages back using the forum default).
post #3265 of 6987 Old 05-22-2014, 06:28 PM

Is house of cards only on Netflix just watched the first episode and there's banding all over the place I was in the top quality too would have thought they'd do better for one of there top shows.
post #3266 of 6987 Old 05-22-2014, 06:31 PM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by coopson View Post

Is house of cards only on Netflix just watched the first episode and there's banding all over the place I was in the top quality too would have thought they'd do better for one of there top shows.

Only on Netflix. Yeah, it's pretty embarrasing how there is heavy banding even in the intro. How did they think "nah, nobody will notice. leave it be."

herpderp likes this.

LG 55EA9700 OLED
post #3267 of 6987 Old 05-22-2014, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterbrew2 View Post

Only on Netflix. Yeah, it's pretty embarrasing how there is heavy banding even in the intro. How did they think "nah, nobody will notice. leave it be."

Where that's where I saw it too loads in the sky.
post #3268 of 6987 Old 05-22-2014, 07:07 PM
AVS Special Member

The originals had a campy charm which worked, while the prequels are a failed attempt to recreate that charm, leaving you with pure cheese and no flavor. If those movies just came out without the Star Wars title in them it would just be a throwaway sci fi trilogy, it never would spawn sequels 30 years down the line. All the originals, and especially empire strikes back may not have a studied, nuanced seriousness to them ala the dark knight trilogy compared with Adam West's Batman, but they are legitimately good movies.

I really don't mind the changes all that much either, despite how unnecessary they are, except for the one I referenced, I'm shocked you don't remember it! It made headlines when the blu rays came out as it occurs during the single most pivitol scene in the whole series. Tell me when you get to it. Unless you just want me to say it....it's pretty horrifying by any filmmaking standards lol
vinnie97 likes this.

post #3269 of 6987 Old 05-22-2014, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Coopson I think you have a poor panel, as I know the grid you're referring to but I seriously wouldn't have stood for it if I saw it....basically ever. Don't get me wrong I totally believe you're experiencing it (there's nothing that bothers me quite as much as objectively seeing a flaw and others telling me I'm just crazy and imagining it), I just really think you lost the panel lottery.

post #3270 of 6987 Old 05-22-2014, 08:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Just plopped in A New Hope. One thing cannot be denied, for a film this ancient wow the transfer is excellent.

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
Lg 55ea9800 Oled Hdtv , Lg
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page