Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas oled View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post

I understand and am happy that the picture quality improvements of WOLED outweigh any additional care and feeding requirements that may entail for you.

Unfortunately, I don't believe that there are enough consumers like you to constitute a market of sufficient size to support LG's WOLED initiative.

Of all the various pictures and posts that have been posted on this thread, this is the one that caused me the greatest concern (coopson's post #3349):
I also see it as a discouraging sign that coopson recently decided to return his WOLED and move to either a 'cheap LCD' with inferior PQ or a large-screen (115") projector.

It his choice to go with a 115" projector, an excellent choice for someone with the room. I refuse to watch and LCD that loses 50% of the picture or suffers from one or all the following :

1. Poor black levels compared to plasma and OLED
2: Banding
3: Poor off Angle viewing
4. Blooming
5. Clouding
6. Flash lighting
7. Picture disappears by 40% when I stand up
8. Poor dark room blacks

Now you might have an issue with OLED's and that's is fine, this forum is for people who own OLED's not to come bash a technology you have more than likely never seen in person where you must re-post other people pictures because you yourself have never owned an OLED.

Every professional un-bias review has stated OLED is the future and the best performing display they have ever test! NO LCD will ever come close. Nobody has claimed OLED or any display is perfect.

I don't have an issue with OLED and am sorry if you interpreted my post as 'bashing' OLED.

I can not argue with anything on your list and may even end up buying a Gen 2 OLED later this year for many of those same reasons.

Unfortunately, it is my opinion that you and I and all of the others out there like us will not make a big enough market for LG to succeed with these Gen-1 issues.

My post was not intended to 'bash' LG or WOLED but just to comment on the challenges I believe they need to address if this initiative they are driving over the next several years is going to succeed. Perhaps that post would have been more appropriate in the 'OLED Technology Advancements' thread (though all of the LG-Specific PQ issues tend to appear here in the owners thread).

You are happy owning the most fantastic display ever made, and there is not reason for you to feel defensive about that. LG may or may not succeed in bringing WOLEDs to the masses by the end of the decade. Your opinions on what they need to improve upon in order to increase their chances of success would be appreciated.
vinnie97 likes this.
post #3513 of 6761 Old 05-31-2014, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked: 672
OLED will succeed by doing the following:

1. Wall mountable, not something I care about but many people do want flat screens that are wall mountable.
2. Larger screens
3. 4k, at least on panels 65 and larger. IMO 4K has a lot better chance of disappearing than OLED does.
4. Coopers set is an excellent example of poor quality control that must be improved on. I tried to duplicate seeing the circuit board and could not do it, but this should not happen and if they need to make them a 1/16 of an inch thicker or so, it's better than having this issue.

Sell their technology to other manufactures. They have the patent in what appears to be a lot more cost effective way to Manufacture an OLED. With what Sony is able to do to a LCD with colors could you imagine how incredible an OLED would be with their incredible genius behind the circuitry.
herpderp likes this.
post #3514 of 6761 Old 05-31-2014, 03:10 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
Quote:

I don't have an issue with OLED and am sorry if you interpreted my post as 'bashing' OLED.

I can not argue with anything on your list and may even end up buying a Gen 2 OLED later this year for many of those same reasons.

Unfortunately, it is my opinion that you and I and all of the others out there like us will not make a big enough market for LG to succeed with these Gen-1 issues.

My post was not intended to 'bash' LG or WOLED but just to comment on the challenges I believe they need to address if this initiative they are driving over the next several years is going to succeed. Perhaps that post would have been more appropriate in the 'OLED Technology Advancements' thread (though all of the LG-Specific PQ issues tend to appear here in the owners thread).

You are happy owning the most fantastic display ever made, and there is not reason for you to feel defensive about that. LG may or may not succeed in bringing WOLEDs to the masses by the end of the decade. Your opinions on what they need to improve upon in order to increase their chances of success would be appreciated.
I understand your perspective given I've had two panels that exhibit the motherboard imprint along with the IR. I personally would buy a 77" to replace my ZT60 if I had the financial wherewithal, even with the current issues. The pixel jogger running at 2 to 3 hours gets rid of any letterbox IR fortunately, but I don't see the general public (especially those accustomed to LCD) having the patience that we have.
post #3515 of 6761 Old 05-31-2014, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

OLED will succeed by doing the following:

1. Wall mountable, not something I care about but many people do want flat screens that are wall mountable.
2. Larger screens
3. 4k, at least on panels 65 and larger. IMO 4K has a lot better chance of disappearing than OLED does.
4. Coopers set is an excellent example of poor quality control that must be improved on. I tried to duplicate seeing the circuit board and could not do it, but this should not happen and if they need to make them a 1/16 of an inch thicker or so, it's better than having this issue.

Sell their technology to other manufactures. They have the patent in what appears to be a lot more cost effective way to Manufacture an OLED. With what Sony is able to do to a LCD with colors could you imagine how incredible an OLED would be with their incredible genius behind the circuitry.

Thanks for the response.

And I agree with everything you have stated. I would only add that in the case that the IR issues some have experienced does not turn out to be merely a quality issue (your item #4), then LG will also need to make these products more turn-key for the average user.

If they don't, the products will still be a fantastic product for many videophiles and enthusiasts (such as those on this board biggrin.gif), but they won't meet the 'ready-for-prime-time' requirements needed for success as a mass-market premium massive screen TV.
post #3516 of 6761 Old 05-31-2014, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked: 881
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I understand and am happy that the picture quality improvements of WOLED outweigh any additional care and feeding requirements that may entail for you.

Unfortunately, I don't believe that there are enough consumers like you to constitute a market of sufficient size to support LG's WOLED initiative.

Of all the various pictures and posts that have been posted on this thread, this is the one that caused me the greatest concern (coopson's post #3349):
I also see it as a discouraging sign that coopson recently decided to return his WOLED and move to either a 'cheap LCD' with inferior PQ or a large-screen (115") projector.

It his choice to go with a 115" projector, an excellent choice for someone with the room. I refuse to watch and LCD that loses 50% of the picture or suffers from one or all the following :

1. Poor black levels compared to plasma and OLED
2: Banding
3: Poor off Angle viewing
4. Blooming
5. Clouding
6. Flash lighting
7. Picture disappears by 40% when I stand up
8. Poor dark room blacks

Now you might have an issue with OLED's and that's is fine, this forum is for people who own OLED's not to come bash a technology you have more than likely never seen in person where you must re-post other people pictures because you yourself have never owned an OLED.

Every professional un-bias review has stated OLED is the future and the best performing display they have ever test! NO LCD will ever come close. Nobody has claimed OLED or any display is perfect.

I'm still sick of the "rah rah go team" crap though.  Seriously, this entire forum site is about audio video science, and this idea that your conclusions as to the viability of any electronics product not being welcomed if it is negative is just 1. childish, and 2. annoying.

vinnie97 likes this.

Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent. Unless, of course, it's to keep someone from creating a phone video in portrait mode, in which case it's a pretty good first step. Portrait mooks: KNOCK IT OFF.
post #3517 of 6761 Old 05-31-2014, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

Quote:

I understand your perspective given I've had two panels that exhibit the motherboard imprint along with the IR. I personally would buy a 77" to replace my ZT60 if I had the financial wherewithal, even with the current issues. The pixel jogger running at 2 to 3 hours gets rid of any letterbox IR fortunately, but I don't see the general public (especially those accustomed to LCD) having the patience that we have.

Well stated - that is the point I was attempting to make exactly.
post #3518 of 6761 Old 05-31-2014, 07:09 PM
AVS Special Member

First problem, TV turned off and on by itself, anyone experience this?
post #3519 of 6761 Old 05-31-2014, 07:43 PM

Software glitch hopefully. Another possible benign explanation: Maybe you inadvertently updated the firmware without realizing.
post #3520 of 6761 Old 05-31-2014, 08:45 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:

That was my first set maybe if i had more time with it I could have get that to fade away was visible on real content like the picture shows.

Switching away because I don't feel like sending these TV's back until I get one that's good enough for me if I'm gonna spend all that money and not be happy I may as well spend less.
post #3521 of 6761 Old 05-31-2014, 08:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopson View Post

That was my first set maybe if i had more time with it I could have get that to fade away was visible on real content like the picture shows.

Switching away because I don't feel like sending these TV's back until I get one that's good enough for me if I'm gonna spend all that money and not be happy I may as well spend less.

The Sony 900B and 950B are pretty solid sets. Seeing those pictures of the circuit board I do not blame you.
post #3522 of 6761 Old 05-31-2014, 08:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopson View Post

Quote:

I know exactly what you mean (and feel the same way).

I'm still hoping the Gen-2 set due out later this year demonstrate a marked improvement on that score - if not, it's another year of LED/LCD for me as well...
post #3523 of 6761 Old 06-01-2014, 02:18 AM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 85

Any other owners depend on the optical sound output?

LG 55EA9700 OLED
post #3524 of 6761 Old 06-01-2014, 06:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked: 646
Quote:

The Sony 900B and 950B are pretty solid sets. Seeing those pictures of the circuit board I do not blame you.
Talking with a client yesterday I feel they did not release a 55" 950B due to the fact at how low these OLED's are in price, if they did make a 55" 950B it would be $5500 delivered probably. Way to high in cost...
vaktmestern likes this.
post #3525 of 6761 Old 06-01-2014, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

Quote:

Talking with a client yesterday I feel they did not release a 55" 950B due to the fact at how low these OLED's are in price, if they did make a 55" 950B it would be $5500 delivered probably. Way to high in cost...

When you get the complaints from the customers on the OLEDs (I know you've only had a relatively few), do you keep track of the serial numbers & build dates?  I'm curious if you can find a correlation between manufacturing revision and "issues".

Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent. Unless, of course, it's to keep someone from creating a phone video in portrait mode, in which case it's a pretty good first step. Portrait mooks: KNOCK IT OFF.
post #3526 of 6761 Old 06-01-2014, 08:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked: 646
post #3527 of 6761 Old 06-01-2014, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 240
Quote:

Thanks for the response.

And I agree with everything you have stated. I would only add that in the case that the IR issues some have experienced does not turn out to be merely a quality issue (your item #4), then LG will also need to make these products more turn-key for the average user.

If they don't, the products will still be a fantastic product for many videophiles and enthusiasts (such as those on this board biggrin.gif), but they won't meet the 'ready-for-prime-time' requirements needed for success as a mass-market premium massive screen TV.

If they don't fix these problems, especially the IR, OLED is dead in the water. No one will make the sets if they are sold only to video enthusiasts. There is simply no money in it.
post #3528 of 6761 Old 06-01-2014, 09:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked: 579
Quote:

We have had one single complaint on the 55EA9800 . With this said I have collected no info.
So those displays are much better than the examples being discussed and posted about in this thread then right? tongue.gif
post #3529 of 6761 Old 06-01-2014, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

We have had one single complaint on the 55EA9800 . With this said I have collected no info.

Unfortunate, but time is valuable I understand.  It's just that vendors are in the perfect position to try to pattern match problems to revisions, etc.  I'd also like to know if there's a stark differences in any of the numbers for all your customers that have no complaints.

Wouldn't it be interesting if your allotment ended up being dramatically different from the ones that others have been receiving...

post #3530 of 6761 Old 06-01-2014, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I guarantee if everyone had a display as solid as the one I have now there would be no complaints on this forum. My wife commented that if this picture does not make you happy, nothing will.
post #3531 of 6761 Old 06-01-2014, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

Probably a wise decision.

What do you make of this $3000 price on the 55EA9800 from Fry's? Do you think that was just a one-time 'we-need-to-clear-out-inventory-for-something-new' thing or are you seeing any indications of another price drop closer to the $3000 level coming from LG in June?
post #3532 of 6761 Old 06-01-2014, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What do you make of this $3000 price on the 55EA9800 from Fry's? Do you think that was just a one-time 'we-need-to-clear-out-inventory-for-something-new' thing or are you seeing any indications of another price drop closer to the $3000 level coming from LG in June?

They are not $3,000, in some stores they are $3,999 and on their web page they are $4,999.
post #3533 of 6761 Old 06-01-2014, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

They are not $3,000, in some stores they are $3,999 and on their web page they are $4,999.

Somebody posted a price at Fry's for $3000 somewhere on the board - no time to track it down now, but pretty sure it was $3000 and not $3999. Believe it was an in-store-only sale price.
post #3534 of 6761 Old 06-01-2014, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Somebody posted a price at Fry's for $3000 somewhere on the board - no time to track it down now, but pretty sure it was $3000 and not $3999. Believe it was an in-store-only sale price.

Easy to post a comment with no proof. Found the time to post this but yet no time to back it up? Nobody has matched Cleveland Plasmas price with no tax and shipping included. Your post is irresponsible, Cleveland Plasma make a living selling this product and should not lose potential business over rumors.
post #3535 of 6761 Old 06-01-2014, 10:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:

Easy to post a comment with no proof. Found the time to post this but yet no time to back it up? Nobody has matched Cleveland Plasmas price with no tax and shipping included. Your post is irresponsible.

The poster, Wizziwig, has a thousand post track record on which to judge his credibility.

and by the way, I called the local Fry's and they said it was $2999 and that they had a few left. Of course, I dont have any proof either.
post #3536 of 6761 Old 06-01-2014, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slacker711 View Post

The poster, Wizziwig, has a thousand post track record on which to judge his credibility.

and by the way, I called the local Fry's and they said it was $2999 and that they had a few left. Of course, I dont have any proof either.
Confirmed, you just saved me $1,000.
post #3537 of 6761 Old 06-01-2014, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Quote:

So vinnie is your only complaining customer? That's good news I guess.
Quote:
Originally Posted by slacker711 View Post

Sorry guys but I didn't think to take a picture of the store display with the price tag. This was on Friday so it's possible this was some kind of extended memorial day sale. Their online prices almost never match in-store prices so you need to call or visit.

I'll try to stop by there again next week to see if the new price is permanent and also take a picture for proof.
post #3538 of 6761 Old 06-01-2014, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Quote:

Confirmed, you just saved me $1,000.

You're welcome.

I told you to get a price match 2 days ago:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1493578/lg-55ea9800-55-oled-owners-thread/3480#post_24777883
post #3539 of 6761 Old 06-01-2014, 11:26 AM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizziwig View Post

So vinnie is your only complaining customer? That's good news I guess.

No, vinnie didn't go to the dealer when he had problems. He went straight to LG.

LG 55EA9700 OLED
post #3540 of 6761 Old 06-01-2014, 11:35 AM

I went to LG with the pixel failures at the beginning. However, I did contact Chris in frustration and initial panic after getting the uneven wear from the extended LOTR session. wink.gif Using the various mechanisms of slides, off-time, and now the pixel jogger, I was able to get rid of it, as he intimated that LG would be the final arbiter on replacement/refund if I was unhappy.
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
Lg 55ea9800 Oled Hdtv , Lg
Gear in this thread - 55ea9800 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page