LG 55EA9800 55" OLED Owner's thread - Page 124 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3691 of 7047 Old 06-09-2014, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 328
Where do you see the country of manufacture posted? There could be a difference; never know. The LG tech who replaced my panel told me all their manufacturing is either done in south Korea or Mexico, and you've got pretty much 50/50 odds of it being from one or the other. I said I was hoping for Korea direct, lol. I'm sure he was wrong then though.

If I sow a wind now, I will reap a storm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3692 of 7047 Old 06-09-2014, 01:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1011
Back of the TV, on the product code label, "Made in Korea." I didn't see where my panel replacement was made, however.
post #3693 of 7047 Old 06-09-2014, 07:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 546 Post(s)
Liked: 708
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizziwig View Post

I'm kind of skeptical we will actually see the 4K models this year. If you look at the release history of the 1080p model, it was first launched in Korea about 6 months before shipping in USA. Since they have not even announced Korean pricing yet, that doesn't leave much time for 2014 global release.
The other markets will probably get the panels first, the 4K sets are not due out till 3RD quarter 2014 for US........
post #3694 of 7047 Old 06-09-2014, 08:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizziwig View Post

I'm kind of skeptical we will actually see the 4K models this year. If you look at the release history of the 1080p model, it was first launched in Korea about 6 months before shipping in USA. Since they have not even announced Korean pricing yet, that doesn't leave much time for 2014 global release.
The other markets will probably get the panels first, the 4K sets are not due out till 3RD quarter 2014 for US........

The '3rd quarter' begins in less than three weeks...
post #3695 of 7047 Old 06-09-2014, 08:55 PM

The way he worded that, I would surmise he wouldn't be surprised if they were delayed until the end of September.
post #3696 of 7047 Old 06-10-2014, 12:32 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Every time I pop in at my favourite retailer I stop to view this tv.

As much as the picture quality dazzles me (best I've ever seen!) the distorted black bars on 2.35:1 movies due to the cureved screen irritate the hell outta me. This is the kind of retailer who won't just play demo material but actual content so it's an honest way to get a first impression. Popping in a regular 1.85:1 movie and that cureved screen doesn't bother quite as much. I'm guessing one wouldn't notice after a while? I'll be glad when more 'normal' flatscreen OLED's are available though. The curve craze is a silly gimmick as far as I'm concerned. Curves on women - fine - not on tv's. The curve really seem to have people divided. To each his/her own, of course. I know there's a version of this one that's flat, but it's actually more expensive where I live.
ConnecTEDDD and herpderp like this.

RickyDeg

| PRIMARE SP33 (processor/DAC)

| PRIMARE A30.7 (multichannel amp)

KEN KREISEL Q125 / DXD-12012 (5.1 speaker system)

SAMSUNG LE-52B755 (tv)

OPPO BDP-103D (blu-ray transport)

NAIM UNITISERVE (HDD music server)

ISOTEK AQUARIUS (mainsfilter)

post #3697 of 7047 Old 06-10-2014, 01:27 AM

Definite indifference on my part...the effect does begin to fade into your subconscious after a while. The flat counterpart is more costly everywhere as far as I can tell because it has a slightly higher SRP.
post #3698 of 7047 Old 06-10-2014, 01:38 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

Definite indifference on my part...the effect does begin to fade into your subconscious after a while. The flat counterpart is more costly everywhere as far as I can tell because it has a slightly higher SRP.

I've heard others say the same thing.

I'm sure this question has already been talked about (sorry), but you wouldn't happen to know if the new models coming up are all curved or flat, or both options?

RickyDeg

| PRIMARE SP33 (processor/DAC)

| PRIMARE A30.7 (multichannel amp)

KEN KREISEL Q125 / DXD-12012 (5.1 speaker system)

SAMSUNG LE-52B755 (tv)

OPPO BDP-103D (blu-ray transport)

NAIM UNITISERVE (HDD music server)

ISOTEK AQUARIUS (mainsfilter)

post #3699 of 7047 Old 06-10-2014, 02:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyDeg View Post

I've heard others say the same thing.

I'm sure this question has already been talked about (sorry), but you wouldn't happen to know if the new models coming up are all curved or flat, or both options?

All upcoming 2014 models are curved. They have shown a flexible model that is supposed to be released next year. If that turns out to be true, you might be able to flex it into a flat orientation but probably not stable enough for wall mounting.

If you need flat, either grab the current flat gallery model or wait until 2015 to see what develops.
RickyDeg likes this.
post #3700 of 7047 Old 06-10-2014, 08:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 546 Post(s)
Liked: 708
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

The way he worded that, I would surmise he wouldn't be surprised if they were delayed until the end of September.
Anytime in the 3rd quarter. Tv's have been delayed as much as 6 months before as well.......
post #3701 of 7047 Old 06-10-2014, 11:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked: 297
I found one at frys for 25% off what everyone else is charging, i am VERY tempted to go get it
problem is, i cant get any good info on their extended warranty, if it covers dead pixels, burn in, etc

edit: after some research, looks like frys warranty is pretty much garbage, going to have to pass
post #3702 of 7047 Old 06-10-2014, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 624
^ have you looked at the square trade warranty at costco for 99$ - link in my signature.
post #3703 of 7047 Old 06-10-2014, 11:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo949 View Post

^ have you looked at the square trade warranty at costco for 99$ - link in my signature.
i did, sams also has it, and they throw in an additional year at the end, all for $99
i think im going to go buy one

it would be replacing a 55st50 i bought in 2012
im wondering how much of an upgrade it will be as I wasnt able to compare the oled next to a plasma, but next to the sharp lcd, there was 0 comparison
the picture i saw in sams was just mind blowing, looked 3d although it was broadcasting 2d, but, it was just the demo ink video, not an actual blu ray
post #3704 of 7047 Old 06-10-2014, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Squaretrade has extremely misleading warranty terms as well. Every repair takes money off the total balance of the items cost, so likely you'd only get one major repair out of it. Also if it cannot be repaired, because they may discontinue the panels next year, they reimburse you for the depreciated value....and you do see how fast the value is depreciating, right? I may have paid 5k, which sucks now seeing how fast it's come down in price, but when something "happens" to my tv 3 years from now I can pick anything else out which still falls under 5k. That's the kind of warranty you'd want.

post #3705 of 7047 Old 06-10-2014, 11:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theplague13 View Post

Squaretrade has extremely misleading warranty terms as well. Every repair takes money off the total balance of the items cost, so likely you'd only get one major repair out of it. Also if it cannot be repaired, because they may discontinue the panels next year, they reimburse you for the depreciated value....and you do see how fast the value is depreciating, right? I may have paid 5k, which sucks now seeing how fast it's come down in price, but when something "happens" to my tv 3 years from now I can pick anything else out which still falls under 5k. That's the kind of warranty you'd want.
who sells those warranties?
also, were u able to compare your oled to a plasma?
is your repaired tv holding up better than the prior one(i read your roller coaster)
post #3706 of 7047 Old 06-10-2014, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5x10 View Post

who sells those warranties?
also, were u able to compare your oled to a plasma?
is your repaired tv holding up better than the prior one(i read your roller coaster)

Haha oh no you went all those pages back!!!??!!

Lol. Yeah my replacement panel is much better. Obviously there are still IR issues, they seem to be inherent. My first panel I did not break in, this one I did and it seems much more resilient for it. I do have a little line burned in on this panel which absolutely will not go away, but it's only visible on certain colors when looking for it. I can mitigate letterbox wear when it happens butbsmfor some reason that small amount always remains. Other thing I'm displeased with is near-blacks, as has been noted time and time again. If you watch a blu Ray wherethe blacks are all slightly above reference (cough cough , the godfather), and random scenes which pop up here and there it looks pretty poor tbh.

But I'm happy with it now. For the most part I'm able to enjoy it's clearly superior picture quality in everything where the source is such. I've never owned a plasma myself but have seen and researched them many times and tinkered with them at friends houses. I prefer the OLED for pq by a pretty fair long shot, when you see those blacks which are literally nonexistently black, and the colors which to my eyes look far prettier than what I've seen on plasma (though this one is subjective). Only thing is plasma has generally has much better uniformity, and the tech is evolved enough to where IR/BI isnt near the issue it used to be.

As for the warranty most big box stores like best buy and electronics expo have ones such as that. Mine is from Pc Richards which has many locations but is only in the New England area.

post #3707 of 7047 Old 06-10-2014, 11:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Haha oh no you went all those pages back!!!??!!

Lol. Yeah my replacement panel is much better. Obviously there are still IR issues, they seem to be inherent. My first panel I did not break in, this one I did and it seems much more resilient for it. I do have a little line burned in on this panel which absolutely will not go away, but it's only visible on certain colors when looking for it. I can mitigate letterbox wear when it happens butbsmfor some reason that small amount always remains. Other thing I'm displeased with is near-blacks, as has been noted time and time again. If you watch a blu Ray wherethe blacks are all slightly above reference (cough cough , the godfather), and random scenes which pop up here and there it looks pretty poor tbh.

But I'm happy with it now. For the most part I'm able to enjoy it's clearly superior picture quality in everything where the source is such. I've never owned a plasma myself but have seen and researched them many times and tinkered with them at friends houses. I prefer the OLED for pq by a pretty fair long shot, when you see those blacks which are literally nonexistently black, and the colors which to my eyes look far prettier than what I've seen on plasma (though this one is subjective). Only thing is plasma has generally has much better uniformity, and the tech is evolved enough to where IR/BI isnt near the issue it used to be.

As for the warranty most big box stores like best buy and electronics expo have ones such as that. Mine is from Pc Richards which has many locations but is only in the New England area.
for $99, the sams warrarnty might be worth it although it doesnt cover IR/burn in
but, if they cover the cost of what i paid for it, it should be good for one major repair in the next 3-4 years(like you said), outside of LG's warranty
hopefully, its not a tv that requires multiple repairs over time
post #3708 of 7047 Old 06-10-2014, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Hopefully, who knows. But what if the panel is discontinued by then? Personally I'd go straight for LG's EW if you're gonna go with Sam's club. At least they replace it as many times as needed and ifbtheybcant you're guaranteed a similar model, not just a depreciated value. That part scares me a bit.

post #3709 of 7047 Old 06-10-2014, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

I generally think warranties are a waste of time, money, or both. The guaranteed quick resolution and small percentage cost of the ST warranty is what makes it worth getting to me. Normally dealing with manufacturers is so gruelling that I'd rather accept the loss and just go buy something else and save my time; if after a failed repair attempt I got 1,000$ cash to apply to the next purchase of any model I want from any manufacturer I want, alls the better biggrin.gif
post #3710 of 7047 Old 06-10-2014, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo949 View Post

I generally think warranties are a waste of time, money, or both. The guaranteed quick resolution and small percentage cost of the ST warranty is what makes it worth getting to me. Normally dealing with manufacturers is so gruelling that I'd rather accept the loss and just go buy something else and save my time; if after a failed repair attempt I got 1,000$ cash to apply to the next purchase of any model I want from any manufacturer I want, alls the better biggrin.gif

Or the full amount you shelled out to put towards a new purchase??

But no normally I'd agree with you. I hardly ever get EW's but this here is an entirely different beast and not one person's got the the slightest clue what's going to become of them in only a short while, let alone the quality of the actual set you unbox. I'd say anyone buying this tv without some kind of extended peice of mind is either really lucky or really foolish.

Plus, just for the record on this one going through LG to get a new panel wasn't all that much of a pain. Squaretrade requires 3 fully dead pixels I dint even k ow if they have any policy for subs.

post #3711 of 7047 Old 06-10-2014, 01:08 PM
Advanced Member

im going to stop by sams again tonight after we take the kids roller skating
wife isnt on board with me buying this tv, so not sure if it will happen at this point
post #3712 of 7047 Old 06-10-2014, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5x10 View Post

im going to stop by sams again tonight after we take the kids roller skating
wife isnt on board with me buying this tv, so not sure if it will happen at this point

Lol....oh, they just dont understand. I had to make the purchase when the words "moving in together" starting coming up or I knew I'd never be able to. For what it's worth it definitely has a high WAF, just by the looks of it smile.gif

post #3713 of 7047 Old 06-10-2014, 01:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Lol....oh, they just dont understand. I had to make the purchase when the words "moving in together" starting coming up or I knew I'd never be able to. For what it's worth it definitely has a high WAF, just by the looks of it smile.gif
WAF?
post #3714 of 7047 Old 06-10-2014, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

OH BRO, haha Google it

post #3715 of 7047 Old 06-10-2014, 01:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

OH BRO, haha Google it
lol, got ya
yeah, good move to leverage the purchase in response to moving in
post #3716 of 7047 Old 06-10-2014, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Male: "Oh honey, I'm sorry I came back with such a cheap tv. I know, I know. You wished I spent 5 thousand dollars instead of going to walmart. But you see, I did it for you! Think of how pretty it will look in the foyer? What with that svelte curve and thinness."

Female: "Oh, I guess you're right. And at least we saved some money instead of going high end like you always want to.....but wait, what's this? The reflection in the curve makes me look fat!! It goes back!" *sees receipt, male is screwed*

Haha, just a little joke.

post #3717 of 7047 Old 06-10-2014, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

^LOL, welcome to the game 5x10 biggrin.gif
post #3718 of 7047 Old 06-10-2014, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 735 Post(s)
Liked: 976

I repeat this from time to time, but my favorite AV slang term that I first saw used here was by this guy declaring that he had been "wifed" and had to return the uber large TV for one smaller.  LOL....

Yappadappadu likes this.

Send this to all your friends! When will this stupidity end? So hysterical: Vertical Video Syndrome --- a PSA.
post #3719 of 7047 Old 06-10-2014, 02:19 PM
Advanced Member

lol, well, she has a point
i cannot justify this purchase in any way, totally wasteful and un-needed, the same way she wanted a conversion van and i wouldnt let it happen(going from a tahoe to a piece of junk custom van)
may be a good decision in the long run
post #3720 of 7047 Old 06-10-2014, 02:26 PM

Quote:

Or the full amount you shelled out to put towards a new purchase??

But no normally I'd agree with you. I hardly ever get EW's but this here is an entirely different beast and not one person's got the the slightest clue what's going to become of them in only a short while, let alone the quality of the actual set you unbox. I'd say anyone buying this tv without some kind of extended peice of mind is either really lucky or really foolish.

Plus, just for the record on this one going through LG to get a new panel wasn't all that much of a pain. Squaretrade requires 3 fully dead pixels I dint even k ow if they have any policy for subs.
I haven't got my EW yet due to financial reasons...yes, I'm foolish (for buying in when I did!). I wonder if I can add LG's ext. warranty at this late juncture. Dealing with them indeed wasn't a pain at all, I will also attest.

EDIT: Looks like I'm in luck: https://lg.yourserviceplan.com/presentationlayer/home.aspx (I have until the warranty is over to purchase one). I was planning on getting a Mack Warranty, but now I'm leaning in this direction.

EDIT #2: As in most other similar products, it does not cover: "Television or personal computer monitor screen imperfections, including ‘burn in’ or burned CRT phosphor, caused by video games, prolonged display of one or more signal(s), or other abuse." Seems a little more restrictive than the Mack Warranty for my Panasonic ZT60 in that regard. Decisions, decisions.
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
Lg 55ea9800 Oled Hdtv , Lg
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page