LG 55EA9800 55" OLED Owner's thread - Page 125 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3721 of 6990 Old 06-10-2014, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 584
those really expensive sony's look like they have some weird burn-in/uniformity issues that go beyond what one would expect. If gray scale bugs you, don't jump out to here:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamd View Post

Well I received my 3rd set with a date of jan 2014 and it's the worst out of them all.... Not very happy.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3722 of 6990 Old 06-10-2014, 06:43 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1011
Granted, those are the edgelits for the record. wink.gif
post #3723 of 6990 Old 06-10-2014, 07:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Starting to get interested in these as I see the price has tumbled in just a few months below where I even expected. But it looks like IR continues to be a concern (I expected this). After jumping on and then leaving the ZT60 bandwagon a while back, out of all the TVs I had I have been ironically most pleased with my 500.00 51 inch Samsung 5300 plasma (given the cost vs performance, and the fact that I don't really have to worry about the IR it will invariably get from network logos). But if the rapid rate of decrease on these continues, this may enter my "can't resist new technology" budget in just a few more months. Haven't really seen any dealbreakers in this thread over and above the usual "it's not perfect" stuff, so I'll keep watching intently. Wonder what the Samsung equivalent is down to now, as BB doesn't seem to stock those in store under normal circumstances.
post #3724 of 6990 Old 06-10-2014, 08:11 PM

^Welcome back, ol(e)d friend! wink.gif Still with my ZT here, but it has some stubborn IR (if not burn-in) from what looks to be the Netflix navigation bar! I'd like to replace it with an OLED sooner than later if this is how stubborn its phosphors choose to be.

Samsung isn't actively manufacturing their OLED anymore, which is why availability is scare...the best price I've seen for a new one is more than double that of the LG. This relates to the much better yields that LG is achieving using their patented manufacturing method.
Playdrv4me likes this.
post #3725 of 6990 Old 06-10-2014, 08:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 328
Yuck, those look absolutely barfworthy. Way beyond even the norm for LCD.....those are like westinghouses. Surely it's not the FALD

If I sow a wind now, I will reap a storm.
post #3726 of 6990 Old 06-10-2014, 08:55 PM

They're definitely the edgesh*ts (900a)! wink.gif
post #3727 of 6990 Old 06-10-2014, 09:11 PM
AVS Special Member

How long have you had your zt for vinnie? I'd assumed it was at least much more resilient to ir than your oled

post #3728 of 6990 Old 06-10-2014, 09:18 PM

A little over a year. The Kuro was great at IR resilience of the temporary type...the final generation of the Viera Plasmas, not as much. I guess that was one area where Engineering skimped. It doesn't have the letterbox IR after a movie (or 2 or 3) like the LG, but there is most certainly some stubborn presence of IR that I can't explain around the area where the Netflix navigation bar appears. It seems most prevalent on a red background (more so than white). I'm not seeing IR of any other logos fortunately (in the rare event that I watch TV)...but it takes about 5 minutes for the Netflix screensaver to show after pausing, so I have to assume this is from the cumulative effect (surely can't be any more than over an hour total, and you'd think the actual Netflix content on display the other 99% of the time would wash it away but alas...). I can't see it from my typical seating distance...only at 5 feet out and under and on a brighter solid background as you might expect.
post #3729 of 6990 Old 06-10-2014, 10:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

^Welcome back, ol(e)d friend! wink.gif Still with my ZT here, but it has some stubborn IR (if not burn-in) from what looks to be the Netflix navigation bar! I'd like to replace it with an OLED sooner than later if this is how stubborn its phosphors choose to be.

Samsung isn't actively manufacturing their OLED anymore, which is why availability is scare...the best price I've seen for a new one is more than double that of the LG. This relates to the much better yields that LG is achieving using their patented manufacturing method.

Nice to stroll 'round these parts again. smile.gif Looks like someone on the last page said they had found the LG at "25 percent less than what everyone else is charging". And the price I saw on the LG when I walked into BB today was 3999, so if that's true that's getting into mighty tempting territory. Funny how when the original was 79 or 99 or whatever 3999 seems like a "deal", even though that's where the highest end ZTs started! lol.
post #3730 of 6990 Old 06-10-2014, 10:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Playdrv4me View Post

Nice to stroll 'round these parts again. smile.gif Looks like someone on the last page said they had found the LG at "25 percent less than what everyone else is charging". And the price I saw on the LG when I walked into BB today was 3999, so if that's true that's getting into mighty tempting territory. Funny how when the original was 79 or 99 or whatever 3999 seems like a "deal", even though that's where the highest end ZTs started! lol.
yes sir, very tempting for the best tv picture I have ever seen
And my panny plasma is working just fine
post #3731 of 6990 Old 06-11-2014, 06:40 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Hmm, so which is it with the LG OLED as far as IR/BI? I see Vinnie97 showing it after 10 minutes yet I read posts and reviews where they left static images for hours and days and nothing? Should I assume that different picture settings may be more susceptible?

My NEC 50XM3 was a little touchy on the first few hundred hours, but now after 22,000 hours there is not the slightest indication of any IR/BI issues. No body was doing break in slides back in 2003 when I got that panel. Admittedly I don't watch any channel that has creep\ score bars on them for any duration. Every HD networks channel have the opaque logo's now. I guess part of the issues are what the viewing habits are and just being aware that you have to be cautious?

Quick Reference of Forum Rules
1) Do Not post pricing you found on-line or at a local dealer UNLESS IN A DEALS THREAD.
2) Do Not ask for, or offer, a receipt so people can price match.
3) Do Not say to "Call John Smith at ..." (you know what I mean)
4) Do Not put down someone else's choice in...

post #3732 of 6990 Old 06-11-2014, 06:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 160
22000 hours it must lol been settled ages ago smile.gif
post #3733 of 6990 Old 06-11-2014, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrybud View Post

Hmm, so which is it with the LG OLED as far as IR/BI? I see Vinnie97 showing it after 10 minutes yet I read posts and reviews where they left static images for hours and days and nothing? Should I assume that different picture settings may be more susceptible?

My NEC 50XM3 was a little touchy on the first few hundred hours, but now after 22,000 hours there is not the slightest indication of any IR/BI issues. No body was doing break in slides back in 2003 when I got that panel. Admittedly I don't watch any channel that has creep\ score bars on them for any duration. Every HD networks channel have the opaque logo's now. I guess part of the issues are what the viewing habits are and just being aware that you have to be cautious?

Yeah that's my problem in particular. I don't watch a lot of movies. 98 percent of my watching is my favorite cable TV networks... Velocity, Discovery, ID, HGTV, History, A&E, DIY and 1 or 2 others are on pretty much whenever my TV is on. And even on my Samsung, which are relatively resistant to IR as far as the new panels go, the top edges of the of the Velocity "V" logo are pretty much stuck on my TV now after only 2 or 3 months of having the TV. However, because the TV is also on 18-24 hours a day (I work from home) I know I'm WELL past any sort of "break-in" period, too. This is precisely why I went from expensive sets to this "throw-away" Samsung, but have actually been very impressed with it. Now, I will say that my Pioneer 141 was extremely resilient to IR and I never really got anything to stick on it, but it had some black bar shadows from the PO who had put about 3k hours on it before I picked it up at the end of last year (I've since sold it). The worse logo offenders of the channels I watch are Velocity and History, because Velocity has really bright AND sharp edges at the top of the logo, and History's logo isn't translucent at ALL. But I don't watch enough History anymore for that one to be an issue. The example they should ALL follow is DIY channel's logo.
post #3734 of 6990 Old 06-11-2014, 09:48 PM

Barry, the unevenness seems to be a symptom of backplane immaturity (versus the OLED itself) since it stands out the most after viewing letterbox content. I can even it out over 90% with the application of the pixel jogger for a few hours. The panel does much better with actual logos and HUDs from what we've been able to see (though it's not fully immune...see Plague's experience). I don't think any of the reviewers conducted uneven wear experiments in the short time they had the panel.

Whoa, playa, you already dumped the 141FD?!

Last edited by vinnie97; 06-11-2014 at 09:52 PM.
post #3735 of 6990 Old 06-11-2014, 10:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post
Barry, the unevenness seems to be a symptom of backplane immaturity (versus the OLED itself) since it stands out the most after viewing letterbox content. I can even it out over 90% with the application of the pixel jogger for a few hours. The panel does much better with actual logos and HUDs from what we've been able to see (though it's not fully immune...see Plague's experience). I don't think any of the reviewers conducted uneven wear experiments in the short time they had the panel.

Whoa, playa, you already dumped the 141FD?!
Vinnie, do(or did) you own the lg oled?
If so, how did it turn out for you and how does it compare to any plasma you may have owned

Any response is appreciated, thanks
post #3736 of 6990 Old 06-11-2014, 10:08 PM

Most soytainly! I guess you missed my saga while reading up on Plague's. However, it is similar in that we both had our panels replaced and both saw improvement on the dead subpixel front. I have made several comparison impressions already if you look through my recent posts. Video memory is not reliable so I don't like to compare it to past sets owned (like the 111FD), but next to a ZT60, it holds its own well (and surpasses in the contrast ratio/absolute black front) in every category except motion resolution. Due to the sample and hold method by which it processes motion, more motion blur is introduced, but it's very natural-looking to the point that I have trouble really knocking it down a peg in relation to the ZT's PQ (could be related to the OLED's super fast response times). If the LG were of equal size and had better motion compensation mechanisms (BFI, higher framerates, etc.), I have little doubt I could place it well above that of the ZT. For now, I'd have to say I love them both equally and for different reasons (mostly outlined above ).
5x10 and Theplague13 like this.
post #3737 of 6990 Old 06-11-2014, 10:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked: 691
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrybud View Post

My NEC 50XM3 was a little touchy on the first few hundred hours, but now after 22,000 hours there is not the slightest indication of any IR/BI issues.
An oldy but goody. Many complained about IR on that plasma as well.........
post #3738 of 6990 Old 06-11-2014, 10:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Most soytainly! I guess you missed my saga while reading up on Plague's. However, it is similar in that we both had our panels replaced and both saw improvement on the dead subpixel front. I have made several comparison impressions already if you look through my recent posts. Video memory is not reliable so I don't like to compare it to past sets owned (like the 111FD), but next to a ZT60, it holds its own well (and surpasses in the contrast ratio/absolute black front) in every category except motion resolution. Due to the sample and hold method by which it processes motion, more motion blur is introduced, but it's very natural-looking to the point that I have trouble really knocking it down a peg in relation to the ZT's PQ (could be related to the OLED's super fast response times). If the LG were of equal size and had better motion compensation mechanisms (BFI, higher framerates, etc.), I have little doubt I could place it well above that of the ZT. For now, I'd have to say I love them both equally and for different reasons (mostly outlined above ).
thanks for the response!

One last question for anyone that may know:

What extended warranty does LG offer and how much does it cost/cover?
Having trouble finding it on the net
Thanks

Last edited by 5x10; 06-11-2014 at 10:48 PM.
post #3739 of 6990 Old 06-11-2014, 11:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Big Oled day ... get my in a few hours
post #3740 of 6990 Old 06-11-2014, 11:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Will start running it in with sliders and low contrast and increase the contrast during the run in .. first 50hours it will be low with low cell light.
post #3741 of 6990 Old 06-12-2014, 12:13 AM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Is there a game mode setting to reduce the reported 72ms input lag? I would really consider this set of it can be reduced to reasonable levels.

Thanks in advance!
post #3742 of 6990 Old 06-12-2014, 03:47 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Playdrv4me View Post
Quote: Originally Posted by vinnie97

^Welcome back, ol(e)d friend! Still with my ZT here, but it has some stubborn IR (if not burn-in) from what looks to be the Netflix navigation bar! I'd like to replace it with an OLED sooner than later if this is how stubborn its phosphors choose to be.

Nice to stroll 'round these parts again. Looks like someone on the last page said they had found the LG at "25 percent less than what everyone else is charging". And the price I saw on the LG when I walked into BB today was 3999, so if that's true that's getting into mighty tempting territory. Funny how when the original was 79 or 99 or whatever 3999 seems like a "deal", even though that's where the highest end ZTs started! lol.
Frys Electronic store sell LG 55EA9800 for $2997.00.
post #3743 of 6990 Old 06-12-2014, 07:04 AM
AVS Special Member

What a day open the box a the tv was broken ....

A crack on the middel of the right side.
post #3744 of 6990 Old 06-12-2014, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member

So i returned it to the shop. but i got a new one ... woop
post #3745 of 6990 Old 06-12-2014, 07:09 AM
AVS Special Member

So far i cant se any dead ones n iv checked nose close up for ages running sliders ln it atm 20 contrast and 20 cell light
post #3746 of 6990 Old 06-12-2014, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
They're definitely the edgesh*ts (900a)!
What does that have to do with the IR/Burn-in in the photos I posted? Are edgelits more prone to that?
post #3747 of 6990 Old 06-12-2014, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaktmestern View Post
What a day open the box a the tv was broken ....

A crack on the middel of the right side.

wow, that's terrible! Bad packaging?
post #3748 of 6990 Old 06-12-2014, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

I dont know it was well packed up , but it proves they are fragile
post #3749 of 6990 Old 06-12-2014, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrybud View Post

I think the confusion is that we've been reporting IR/BI with regard to letterboxed or pillarboxed content but not so much with static images. I've had no hud retention from gaming in up to 6 hour sessions, multiple times and always with static UI's. It takes far less time than that, however, when the tv is set to a different aspect ratio for the outline of that aspect ratio to be retained until maintenance is performed with slides and whatnot. Why it's this way I'm not sure anyone's offered any real competitive thoughts towards. I actually even binged watched the first two seasons of Hannibal on it streamed, which permanently has the NBC logo in the lower left and no issues. But a 2:35:1 movie trilogy? Get outta town. I better bring a pail and sponge for cleaning the aftermath of that....you ain't getting outta that with perfect uniformity.

Last edited by Theplague13; 06-12-2014 at 08:10 AM.
post #3750 of 6990 Old 06-12-2014, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Btw vak check again in 50 hours if you really want to know since they can pop up later, but otherwise just enjoy it sounds like you may have won the lotto! Good luck

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
Lg 55ea9800 Oled Hdtv , Lg
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page