LG 55EA9800 55" OLED Owner's thread - Page 130 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3871 of 6557 Old 06-15-2014, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 328
Yeah, the 3d is great, for as far as 3d is concerned. I rarely use it but it actually doesn't give me a headache. Out of the friends houses I've seen it on this one does it best. I simply won't watch active 3d. But I'm pretty much done with 3d, it was cool while it lasted but I see no reason to continue using it. Watched a couple movies, moved on.

I'll admit that I'd be excited for autostereoscopic but until then sacrificing pq for false depth, while sitting alone with silly sunglasses on in your dark room, is little more than momentary gimmick to me.

Furthermore if the set has such a large gap between pixels simply to allow for passive 3d then that's even more upsetting. Not only am I sacrificing pq to watch 3d, but I'm sacrificing it in everything I watch. Shove it up your a** next time LG, I just want a good tv. (Hey that rhymed )

If I sow a wind now, I will reap a storm.

Last edited by Theplague13; 06-15-2014 at 01:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3872 of 6557 Old 06-15-2014, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 433 Post(s)
Liked: 799
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post
^It has me flabbergasted as well in my world of financial pain. That's what I get for being impulsive.
Don't let it shake you up too much. We all get burned the same way sooner or later, whether it's cars, tv's, or dating in college. Lol. It all averages out. Always.
5x10 likes this.
post #3873 of 6557 Old 06-15-2014, 02:40 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 498 Post(s)
Liked: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post
Quote:
^It has me flabbergasted as well in my world of financial pain. That's what I get for being impulsive.
Don't let it shake you up too much. We all get burned the same way sooner or later, whether it's cars, tv's, or dating in college. Lol. It all averages out. Always.
So true

Ay of you guys worried about burn in/ir on the standard mode?
Seems pretty bright
post #3874 of 6557 Old 06-15-2014, 03:00 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas oled View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg1 View Post
From Wikipedia:

Problems with OLED
OLED seems to be the perfect technology for all types of displays, but it also has some problems:
Lifetime - While red and green OLED films have longer lifetimes (46,000 to 230,000 hours), blue organics currently have much shorter lifetimes (up to around 14,000 hours[source: OLED-

Info.com]).
Manufacturing - Manufacturing processes are expensive right now.
Water - Water can easily damage OLEDs.
Both Samsung & LG have made changes to improve the lifespan of OLED, This is old data. Of course Samsung's did not curve production cost, too bad because from what I here they are slightly better than the LG panels. Why worry too much about things we can't control? If you jump in, jump in with both feet and enjoy your OLED by the time it is tired 4k OLED should be affordable.
My Microcenter had five until I arrived. I have the LG set-up and watching Avitar 3D. I'm blown away by this tv. The 900b looks processed and unnatural compared to this. What a great deal. This OLED might be 2K resolution but looks much better than any 2K picture upscaled to 4K. The first thing my wife said when viewing the hd syfy channel on direct tv was "that looks real".
vaktmestern likes this.
post #3875 of 6557 Old 06-15-2014, 03:11 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post
Quote:
Well, there's always the prospect of my ship never arriving. In the meantime, it's hunker down time (my promo period does have an expiration date sadly)! You wouldn't have bought in at $3k...I take it $2k wouldn't have tempted you either, not even a little bit?!
post #3876 of 6557 Old 06-15-2014, 03:20 PM

Quote:
I've been following this thread and the Sony 900b 4K UHD thread. Originally I wanted to upgrade from my 60" Kuro 6010 and was considering going 4K (following 4k since last Dec). I recently saw most of the current 4K models and the LG OLED. I really liked the LG OLED, saw the French review photos of Sky Fall comparing the OLED vs 4K LCD vs Plasma, and I'm sold at $2K for the LG OLED. I going to keep my Kuro versus replacing it (it only has 10k hours on it and still looks excellent) and set the OLED in my family room. I've read most of this thread but from what I see, the issues are dead pixels, IR, 30k hour life, and the blue lights loose their brightness faster. Did I miss anything?
Lack of grayscale uniformity is the only one you missed and of course the blue fading problem is mitigated with LG's WOLED solution.

Quote:
Where do I find the IR burn-in disk? How long do I need to run it? Is there any reason not to buy this tv at $2k other than the new models are coming out soon and some of these issues could be addressed? Thanks, Mike G. reviewer of the Panny 6uy for stereotimes.com
I used the slides from the Panasonic 2013 Plasma line (no disc required, just a USB flash drive): http://www.avsforum.com/t/1466472/20...s-thread/0_100 - how long is up to you. I wouldn't go beyond 300 hours but you still need to be careful with letterbox content in the first 600 at the minimum.
post #3877 of 6557 Old 06-15-2014, 03:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 133
My traditional question of new owners, can you post the manufacturing date for the television? Just trying to get a general idea if we are seeing a reduction in a few of the issues as time goes on.

I have zero idea what is going on with pricing. Both the Fry's and Microcenter deals seem like a move to clear inventory, but the Fry's price actually went up on their website from $3999 to $4999 today. Why would you increase the on-line price if you are clearing inventory? Is LG just testing the demand at different price points?
post #3878 of 6557 Old 06-15-2014, 03:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slacker711 View Post
My traditional question of new owners, can you post the manufacturing date for the television? Just trying to get a general idea if we are seeing a reduction in a few of the issues as time goes on.

I have zero idea what is going on with pricing. Both the Fry's and Microcenter deals seem like a move to clear inventory, but the Fry's price actually went up on their website from $3999 to $4999 today. Why would you increase the on-line price if you are clearing inventory? Is LG just testing the demand at different price points?
Jan 2014
post #3879 of 6557 Old 06-15-2014, 04:00 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

Thanks for the answered questions to all. Where is the mfr date located?
post #3880 of 6557 Old 06-15-2014, 04:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks for the answered questions to all. Where is the mfr date located?
back of the tv, on the label
Not sure if there is a 2nd location
post #3881 of 6557 Old 06-15-2014, 07:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 623
[QUOTE=slacker711;24992026]My traditional question of new owners, can you post the manufacturing date for the television? Just trying to get a general idea if we are seeing a reduction in a few of the issues as time goes on.

I have zero idea what is going on with pricing. Both the Fry's and Microcenter deals seem like a move to clear inventory, but the Fry's price actually went up on their website from $3999 to $4999 today. Why would you increase the on-line price if you are clearing inventory? Is LG just testing the demand at different price points?[/QUOTE]

That would be my guess - they are going to have a whole lot more 55" WOLEDs to sell in a couple months and understanding the market elasticity as well as they can ahead of time probably makes a lot of sense.
post #3882 of 6557 Old 06-15-2014, 08:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 46
I scored on the Microcenter deal today not having planned to upgrade my Kuro 110 FD. I walked into the store after a wine run at Trader Joes. In the same shopping plaza as Microcenter. Complete crazy spur of the moment purchase. Somebody tell me I didn't make a mistake! It was too hard to walk away from an opp to score OLED. I have my AVS education to blame. Can't believe I bought a curved TV. Picture is awesome. Curve surisingly not an issue so far.
5x10 likes this.

Last edited by kinglm; 06-15-2014 at 08:26 PM.
post #3883 of 6557 Old 06-15-2014, 08:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:

That's the same theory I posted when I saw Fry's raised the price again (it's $4K in-store now). I think LG is testing the waters by doing temporary price cuts at various small retailers around the country. These stores don't move enough volume to affect LG's bottom line but can provide valuable data as to the price point where people jump in. I suspect these TVs were stagnating at retail, even at $3K. None of the Fry's in my area sold out at that price. Most buyers would rather get a cheaper and larger LCD (maybe even with 4K) because the OLED advantages are hard to see under store conditions. Curving the TV is also not helping them.

Hopefully LG will realize that they can't demand any significant premium for these TVs over LCD and adjust their permanent pricing accordingly. The $2K price puts them in-line with flagship Sony/Samsung LCDs of similar size so I suspect they'll be able to sell them all at this price.

Owners should not be worried that LG is unloading these TVs because of some defect. That would only result in class-action lawsuit down the line.

I'm glad we're going to get a bunch of new owners in this thread. A larger sample size will reveal a lot about the quality and durability of these TVs.
fafrd likes this.
post #3884 of 6557 Old 06-15-2014, 08:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 148
50hours into my run\prep period and still no dead ones decided to go another 50 on low contrast n cell before rising it step by step up.
post #3885 of 6557 Old 06-15-2014, 08:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 148
[quote=fafrd;24995850]
Quote:

I have zero idea what is going on with pricing. Both the Fry's and Microcenter deals seem like a move to clear inventory, but the Fry's price actually went up on their website from $3999 to $4999 today. Why would you increase the on-line price if you are clearing inventory? Is LG just testing the demand at different price points?[/QUOTE]

That would be my guess - they are going to have a whole lot more 55" WOLEDs to sell in a couple months and understanding the market elasticity as well as they can ahead of time probably makes a lot of sense.
April 2014 on my tv.
post #3886 of 6557 Old 06-15-2014, 08:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 46
January 2014 is my build date.
post #3887 of 6557 Old 06-15-2014, 10:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 955 Post(s)
Liked: 618
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinglm View Post
I scored on the Microcenter deal today not having planned to upgrade my Kuro 110 FD. I walked into the store after a wine run at Trader Joes. In the same shopping plaza as Microcenter. Complete crazy spur of the moment purchase. Somebody tell me I didn't make a mistake! It was too hard to walk away from an opp to score OLED. I have my AVS education
to blame. Can't believe I bought a curved TV. Picture is awesome. Curve surisingly not an issue so far.
You my friend, scored.
post #3888 of 6557 Old 06-16-2014, 02:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 145
So here's another theory to explain the rapid price cuts the past few weeks. Maybe LG is nearing the end of a fiscal quarter and needs to show their stock holders that they didn't waste millions building TVs that nobody wants to buy. So they might be temporarily increasing sale volume in order to meet some kind of sales quota or forecast.

But the simplest explanation is that they are just clearing inventory to make room for 2014 models.
post #3889 of 6557 Old 06-16-2014, 05:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked: 555
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizziwig View Post
So here's another theory to explain the rapid price cuts the past few weeks. Maybe LG is nearing the end of a fiscal quarter and needs to show their stock holders that they didn't waste millions building TVs that nobody wants to buy. So they might be temporarily increasing sale volume in order to meet some kind of sales quota or forecast.
Maybe, but Microcenter doesn't have much inventory. Each store has a small handful of units. Unless they're continuing to replenish the stores (unknown at this point) the bump in sales volume will be tiny.

FWIW, I didn't make it to my MicroCenter yesterday. They still have the same number in stock as they did on Saturday. I will probably go check it out today, but I don't plan to buy one. I've been focusing on a ~65" TV to replace my 57" RP-CRT, and while getting a 55" FHD OLED for $2k is a relative steal I don't want to get a smaller TV, and I'm still unsettled about some of the issues you early adopters have seen.

Last edited by Stereodude; 06-16-2014 at 05:06 AM.
post #3890 of 6557 Old 06-16-2014, 06:23 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theplague13 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaktmestern View Post
So classy the tv all the bits n bobs so well packed, the 3D glasses n they little protective boxes.
Suprised how solid n well made all is on it.
The packaging of this tv really reminds me of an Apple product.

Coopson you said you still have it. Have you decided what you're replacing it with yet?
Looking to demo a sony vpl-hw40 projector and having a 115 inch screen.

The TV has been taken away today I will miss those blacks
post #3891 of 6557 Old 06-16-2014, 06:23 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Yeah, I'm now an owner, too!

LTLFTP here. Wanted to say thanks to all of the insights and feedback you guys have provided over the last couple of months since I first saw the OLED at Fry's and my jaw dropped. Took my wife to see it just for fun and she had the same reaction. We almost pulled the trigger right then.

I was ready to buy one for $3k but couldn't find a Fry's with one at that price. Then I found one on Amazon from a reseller and was about to buy when I saw the post here about Microcenter. Immediately called, confirmed inventory and price, and headed out to buy one.

It's now in my office running slides so i can keep an eye on it. Man I love this thing! So does my wife! No dead pixels so far, but I do have a few subpixels out. Seems 2 reds, 3 greens, and 3 blues. Nothing visible from any sort of distance, and I actually get dizzy being close enough to the TV to try to spot them

Manufacture date is March 2014, and the box it came in was in flawless condition. Microcenter dude said he got me one from their most recent batch of incomers, which was last Friday.

Cheers everyone - will keep you posted!!
schnura, vaktmestern, 5x10 and 1 others like this.
post #3892 of 6557 Old 06-16-2014, 07:27 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 25
From what I can tell three members have purchased LG's 55EA9800 for $1,999.99 from Micro Center. I went to three Micro Centers in the NY Tri-State area and they are all at $3,999.99 and say they can't honor the $1,999.99 price.

What Micro Center stores are honoring the $1,999.99?
post #3893 of 6557 Old 06-16-2014, 07:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by schnura View Post
From what I can tell three members have purchased LG's 55EA9800 for $1,999.99 from Micro Center. I went to three Micro Centers in the NY Tri-State area and they are all at $3,999.99 and say they can't honor the $1,999.99 price.

I don't live near one as I live in Florida but surely this would be worth the drive to pick up one. I just requested the price from the website and it said 1999.99 I would do that and show the guys in store. I also wonder if bestbuy would price match.
post #3894 of 6557 Old 06-16-2014, 07:46 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by schnura View Post

Both stores in ATL honored it.
post #3895 of 6557 Old 06-16-2014, 07:50 AM
Advanced Member

i bought mine in houston tx, website said $4k, but in store price was $2k., looks like they sold 2 yesterday

Well, my father was against me buying this tv, said it was a waste, typical anti technology rant
he came over for dinner last night and his first words were, wow, thats a nice picture
he ended up watching 3 movies and staying later than normal
the new robocop looked AWESOME on this tv, in fact, everything looks great on this tv
Elysium actually made me a little dizzy because of the shaky camera work and the details provided by the tv

I guess i need to run some slides to see if there any pixel issues although i couldnt tell by watching movies/tv

word of caution, when you switch to the standard setting, i would turn down the contrast from 100
i know this isnt the same tech as plasma, but when i bought my st50, i made the mistake of turning the contrast to 100 and now have burn in of a logo
Im not sure why LG would have a 100 contrast on a pre set, maybe the tv can handle it, but i turned it down ayways
post #3896 of 6557 Old 06-16-2014, 08:16 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Picked one up at the St Davids, PA Microcenter yesterday for $1999.
post #3897 of 6557 Old 06-16-2014, 08:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 69
anyone knows when this set will go into closeout status? this thread was started in october would that be a good guess and the most probable arrival of the new models?
post #3898 of 6557 Old 06-16-2014, 08:53 AM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Man I checked micro center store locations and there's one in St. Louis. I was there yesterday for a baseball game. Drove right passed it.
post #3899 of 6557 Old 06-16-2014, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 328
Putting in all my energy to not be resentful of the 2kers
mr_rhythm likes this.

If I sow a wind now, I will reap a storm.
post #3900 of 6557 Old 06-16-2014, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_rhythm View Post
LTLFTP here. Wanted to say thanks to all of the insights and feedback you guys have provided over the last couple of months since I first saw the OLED at Fry's and my jaw dropped. Took my wife to see it just for fun and she had the same reaction. We almost pulled the trigger right then.

I was ready to buy one for $3k but couldn't find a Fry's with one at that price. Then I found one on Amazon from a reseller and was about to buy when I saw the post here about Microcenter. Immediately called, confirmed inventory and price, and headed out to buy one.

It's now in my office running slides so i can keep an eye on it. Man I love this thing! So does my wife! No dead pixels so far, but I do have a few subpixels out. Seems 2 reds, 3 greens, and 3 blues. Nothing visible from any sort of distance, and I actually get dizzy being close enough to the TV to try to spot them

Manufacture date is March 2014, and the box it came in was in flawless condition. Microcenter dude said he got me one from their most recent batch of incomers, which was last Friday.

Cheers everyone - will keep you posted!!
Whoa, this looks like one that slipped past QC. As far as I can tell, no one has reported any fully dead pixels as of yet, just subs. I like your positive attitude but with the high number of dead you already have, I'd recommend checking again after the first 50 hours of use to make sure that number hasn't risen.
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
Lg 55ea9800 Oled Hdtv , Lg
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page