LG 55EA9800 55" OLED Owner's thread - Page 136 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #4051 of 6462 Old 06-19-2014, 04:36 AM
Member
 
Yappadappadu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Hamburg/Germany
Posts: 184
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by anis_ber View Post
Thx for quick answer, any idea if it says 50/60Hz or just 60Hz
Check the manual?
Do you think about using this set in Europe?
Yappadappadu is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4052 of 6462 Old 06-19-2014, 05:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Ken Ross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: N.Y.
Posts: 23,987
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1007 Post(s)
Liked: 1091
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas oled View Post
My Sony: excellent sound and almost worth keeping. Some banding was visible during content but I did not want to have everyone on the 900B forum going crazy looking for it so I said it was not. I tried to convince myself I liked it because I dreaded returning it, it is large, heavy and I had to pick it up myself to exchange it. I did not want to damage it and be out $5,000. Finally the torture and desire to have OLED picture quality back became to much and I returned it.
I'm not going to start a back & forth with you here because once again you have totally misconstrued both my comments and intent. Totally. So these will be my last comments to you on this subject.

First, you originally stated in the Sony thread that you tried to convince yourself that the Sony HAD these issues because you didn't want to get it or exchange what you had for the Sony. You said that once you actually got the Sony and loved it. Now you say you were trying to convince yourself that it did NOT have these issues because the set was too heavy to return. Yet another 180. I'm getting dizzy. Remember the poster that warned me about you and told me about your 'history' in a number of threads? Hmm.

You stated (as of now) that your main reason for returning the Sony was viewing angle. Poor viewing angles with LEDs came as a shock to you? This was something that took you by surprise? Wow.

Second, I am certainly not always 'defending' Sony, you are absolutely wrong. I had mentioned several times in the Sony threads that I returned a Sony FALD XBR 929 for uniformity issues. Further, I haven't owned a Sony since. However with that said, from what I've seen, the current crop of 900 & 950Bs look very good. On that point I agree with many of the reviews that say the same thing. Perfect? Of course not!

Third, your definition of 'bashing' is really kind of odd. If I said that OLED PQ was lousy, you could justify your 'bashing' comment. However it is not bashing saying that curved screens, in ANY technology, introduces linearity errors. It is fact...even if David K hasn't noticed it. Hell, my wife saw it on the Samsung and she's far from a videophile.

It is my opinion that something as basic as linearity errors, should not exist on a flagship display whether it's OLED or LED. Now with that said, if the 77" 4K OLED came out and it was relatively affordable, with great PQ, the curved screen would not stop me. I wouldn't be happy about it, but I'd bite the bullet. No display is perfect.

BTW, your thumbnail of the Sony's menu screen is more than a bit misleading. That degree of banding & uniformity issues is not seen with regular content. I'm sure you're aware of that. As I had noted back in those threads, my 929 looked really bad with menus like that because, for whatever reason, Sony disables the dimming on those screens.

Finally, stating that a display is prone to the effects of ABL, IR or burn-in is also not 'bashing', it is fact. Did that deter me from owning a Fujitsu plasma, 2 Kuros or my current F8500? No.

Let's move on.

Last edited by Ken Ross; 06-19-2014 at 07:01 AM.
Ken Ross is offline  
post #4053 of 6462 Old 06-19-2014, 05:47 AM
Member
 
B Feelgood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 155
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Did anyone receive an actual owners manual (not quick start guide in red book/box) or old school regular remote (not magic wand) in their box?
B Feelgood is offline  
post #4054 of 6462 Old 06-19-2014, 05:50 AM
Advanced Member
 
5x10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 765
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by B Feelgood View Post
Did anyone receive an actual owners manual (not quick start guide in red book/box) or old school regular remote (not magic wand) in their box?
yes manual, no regular controller
even went through the packaging a 2nd time to see if i missed it
5x10 is online now  
post #4055 of 6462 Old 06-19-2014, 06:07 AM
Advanced Member
 
JewDaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Lawrenceville, GA
Posts: 847
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by B Feelgood View Post
Did anyone receive an actual owners manual (not quick start guide in red book/box) or old school regular remote (not magic wand) in their box?
I was wondering the same thing!! I didn't get a real remote with this or my other LG. I Hate how you have to switch inputs on it. Can we purchase an LG Remote to work with it?

JewDaddy is offline  
post #4056 of 6462 Old 06-19-2014, 06:17 AM
Advanced Member
 
5x10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 765
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by JewDaddy View Post
I was wondering the same thing!! I didn't get a real remote with this or my other LG. I Hate how you have to switch inputs on it. Can we purchase an LG Remote to work with it?
i was wondering if there was a more effecient way to change inputs rather than pulling up the smart menu, and then going to inputs
is that how you do it?
5x10 is online now  
post #4057 of 6462 Old 06-19-2014, 06:41 AM
AVS Special Member
 
vaktmestern's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,097
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Calibration booked for 28th next mnt so i got time to pass the 500hour mark. Got told to use sliders on it as i have been doing.
vaktmestern is online now  
post #4058 of 6462 Old 06-19-2014, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Vegas oled's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 1,616
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 882 Post(s)
Liked: 579
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
I'm not going to start a back & forth with you here because once again you have totally misconstrued both my comments and intent. Totally. So these will be my last comments to you on this subject.

First, you originally stated in the Sony thread that you tried to convince yourself that the Sony HAD these issues because you didn't want to get it or exchange what you had for the Sony. You said that once you actually got the Sony and loved it. Now you say you were trying to convince yourself that it did NOT have these issues because the set was too heavy to return. Yet another 180. I'm getting dizzy. Remember the poster that warned me about you and told me about your 'history' in a number of threads? Hmm.

You stated (as of now) that your main reason for returning the Sony was viewing angle. Poor viewing angles with LEDs came as a shock to you? This was something that took you by surprise? Wow.

Second, I am certainly not always 'defending' Sony, you are absolutely wrong. I had mentioned several times in the Sony threads that I returned a Sony FALD XBR 929 for uniformity issues. Further, I haven't owned a Sony since. However with that said, from what I've seen, the current crop of 900 & 950Bs look very good. On that point I agree with many of the reviews that say the same thing. Perfect? Of course not!

Third, your definition of 'bashing' is really kind of odd. If I said that OLED PQ was lousy, you could justify your 'bashing' comment. However it is not bashing saying that curved screens, in ANY technology, introduces linearity errors. It is fact...even if David K hasn't noticed it. Hell, my wife saw it on the Samsung and she's far from a videophile.

It is my opinion that something as basic as linearity errors, should not exist on a flagship display whether it's OLED or LED. Now with that said, if the 77" 4K OLED came out and it was relatively affordable, with great PQ, the curved screen would not stop me. I wouldn't be happy about it, but I'd bite the bullet. No display is perfect.

BTW, your thumbnail of the Sony's menu screen is more than a bit misleading. That degree of banding & uniformity issues is not seen with regular content. I'm sure you're aware of that. As I had noted back in those threads, my 929 looked really bad with menus like that because, for whatever reason, Sony disables the dimming on those screens.

Finally, stating that a display is prone to the effects of ABL, IR or burn-in is also not 'bashing', it is fact. Did that deter me from owning a Fujitsu plasma, 2 Kuros or my current F8500? No.

Let's move on.
Here is another photo with content showing banding. Face it Ken, the 900A and B all have it.

I just could not live with this for 5k when 4K looked the same as 1080P and there was very little content. Note the same shadow of banding and DSE to the right as in the original. Ken will find every little thing to criticize about OLED (must be OLED envy) yet defend this on a Sony 4K set. If the Sony 900B was even 90% as good as an OLED I would have kept it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	170.9 KB
ID:	126162  
vaktmestern likes this.

Last edited by Vegas oled; 06-19-2014 at 08:45 AM.
Vegas oled is online now  
post #4059 of 6462 Old 06-19-2014, 08:28 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Comparison to 15EL9500 or Sony XEL-1?

Hi, I've been a fan of OLED for a while and have waited for large screens like this one. However I am a bit concerned about LG's ability to produce a quality OLED.

My experience with their 15" EL9500 OLED TV was very bad. Out of the box it produced an infuriating light where there should have been a black as black as if it were turned off. It was like turning on a backlit LCD. I was able to get that absolute black or something close to it by adjusting the gamma and other levels but it seemed sacrifice other qualities.

I don't understand why there even need to be various presets like "vivid, cinema, standard," etc. When there is no backlight or anything else to interfere with colors, shouldn't the colors be absolutely defined?

I also own a Sony XEL-1 OLED TV and there is not futzing around with the black. There are only two picture mode presets-- standard, vivid, and custom. Adjusting the brightness level does not affect the black. There is no setting that I can adjust that will produce a "backlight effect" changing the absolute black from anything other than it is. I've become very used to that and find it very reliable and comforting.

Turning on the screen does not produce a visible effect of turning on the whole screen. It just turns on a few pixels to display the input source and so forth. The whole experience is not of turning on a screen but of only relevant pixels at a time. It changed the very way I look at a display and what I understand a display to be.

The LG 15EL9500 by comparison did not have this paradigm-shifting effect for me. It looked cheap by comparison and it ran HOT, as in it heated up really badly, so bad that it melted the mini-HDMI metal contact off its cable. I thought, ugh, LG just doesn't know how to make an OLED TV.

I really want a large OLED TV that gives me that feeling I had with the XEL-1, that when I turn it on I can't tell power is going to the whole screen, just pixels that aren't black. Does anyone have that feeling this 55" LG?

I don't get that impression from the calibration and presets, etc. It should not be difficult to calibrate an OLED right? It shouldn't even need calibration. Is this because of the difference between WOLED and RGB OLED?

Thank you for all the replies.
Sanc is offline  
post #4060 of 6462 Old 06-19-2014, 08:33 AM
Senior Member
 
anis_ber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 203
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yappadappadu View Post
Check the manual?
Do you think about using this set in Europe?
manual says 120V only but interestingly both 50 and 60 Hz
webpage specs and brochure pdf says 120-240V 50-60Hz
Yes I'd like to take it to europe, anybody has an idea if LG uses dual volatge power supply?
Appreciate any help
anis_ber is online now  
post #4061 of 6462 Old 06-19-2014, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Vegas oled's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 1,616
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 882 Post(s)
Liked: 579
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanc View Post
Hi, I've been a fan of OLED for a while and have waited for large screens like this one. However I am a bit concerned about LG's ability to produce a quality OLED.

My experience with their 15" EL9500 OLED TV was very bad. Out of the box it produced an infuriating light where there should have been a black as black as if it were turned off. It was like turning on a backlit LCD. I was able to get that absolute black or something close to it by adjusting the gamma and other levels but it seemed sacrifice other qualities.

I don't understand why there even need to be various presets like "vivid, cinema, standard," etc. When there is no backlight or anything else to interfere with colors, shouldn't the colors be absolutely defined?

I also own a Sony XEL-1 OLED TV and there is not futzing around with the black. There are only two picture mode presets-- standard, vivid, and custom. Adjusting the brightness level does not affect the black. There is no setting that I can adjust that will produce a "backlight effect" changing the absolute black from anything other than it is. I've become very used to that and find it very reliable and comforting.

Turning on the screen does not produce a visible effect of turning on the whole screen. It just turns on a few pixels to display the input source and so forth. The whole experience is not of turning on a screen but of only relevant pixels at a time. It changed the very way I look at a display and what I understand a display to be.

The LG 15EL9500 by comparison did not have this paradigm-shifting effect for me. It looked cheap by comparison and it ran HOT, as in it heated up really badly, so bad that it melted the mini-HDMI metal contact off its cable. I thought, ugh, LG just doesn't know how to make an OLED TV.

I really want a large OLED TV that gives me that feeling I had with the XEL-1, that when I turn it on I can't tell power is going to the whole screen, just pixels that aren't black. Does anyone have that feeling this 55" LG?

I don't get that impression from the calibration and presets, etc. It should not be difficult to calibrate an OLED right? It shouldn't even need calibration. Is this because of the difference between WOLED and RGB OLED?

Thank you for all the replies.
Go to a store that lets you change the content to real world hdtv and not the thinks drive used. OLED is not perfect, it is the best display I have found and I have tried them all. Calibration of an OLED is similar to a plasma or LED.
Vegas oled is online now  
post #4062 of 6462 Old 06-19-2014, 08:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Ken Ross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: N.Y.
Posts: 23,987
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1007 Post(s)
Liked: 1091
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas oled View Post
Here is another photo with content showing banding. Face it Ken, the 900A and B all have it.

I just could not live with this for 5k when 4K looked the same as 1080P and there was very little content. Note the same shadow of banding and DSE to the right as in the original. Ken will find every little thing to criticize about OLED (must be OLED envy) yet defend this on a Sony 4K set. If the Sony 900B was even 90% as good as an OLED I would have kept it.
You simply are unable to comprehend what I wrote. That's very clear. I'm not going to explain it again, because you'll misconstrue that too. As far as the consistency of your 'observations' are concerned, you wouldn't make the best witness in court.

But that's OK, I think others understand what I'm saying.

BTW, I remember that scene well from the Sony demo in-store. I saw nothing even remotely like your picture. That's the truth.
Stereodude and rlindo like this.
Ken Ross is offline  
post #4063 of 6462 Old 06-19-2014, 09:30 AM
Advanced Member
 
5x10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 765
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanc View Post
Turning on the screen does not produce a visible effect of turning on the whole screen. It just turns on a few pixels to display the input source and so forth. The whole experience is not of turning on a screen but of only relevant pixels at a time. It changed the very way I look at a display and what I understand a display to be.

I really want a large OLED TV that gives me that feeling I had with the XEL-1, that when I turn it on I can't tell power is going to the whole screen, just pixels that aren't black. Does anyone have that feeling this 55" LG?
.
i have that feeling, watching a letter box movie at night almost gives the illusion that the top and bottom parts of my screen arent even there
also, when i first got the tv, i would turn the tv on, which happened to be on an input that was off(xbox off), and i thought my tv was broken as I couldnt tell if it were on or not(due to an all black screen)
i then realized that my input was off, turned the input device on, and it showed that my tv was on the whole time
never had that experience with another tv
i think thats what you are trying to say, as i have no light bleeding on black scenes, its completely blakc
5x10 is online now  
post #4064 of 6462 Old 06-19-2014, 09:45 AM
Moderator
 
Barrybud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Southeastern, PA
Posts: 2,545
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by B Feelgood View Post
Did anyone receive an actual owners manual (not quick start guide in red book/box) or old school regular remote (not magic wand) in their box?
I also did not get the standard remote. I did get the quick start and the owners manual. It's not a full manual though, and what I mean is it does not explain what every menu option does. It's a user manual at 5000 feet.

Quick Reference of Forum Rules
1) Do Not post pricing you found on-line or at a local dealer UNLESS IN A DEALS THREAD.
2) Do Not ask for, or offer, a receipt so people can price match.
3) Do Not say to "Call John Smith at ..." (you know what I mean)
4) Do Not put down someone else's choice in...

Barrybud is offline  
post #4065 of 6462 Old 06-19-2014, 09:56 AM
Moderator
 
Barrybud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Southeastern, PA
Posts: 2,545
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by JewDaddy View Post
I was wondering the same thing!! I didn't get a real remote with this or my other LG. I Hate how you have to switch inputs on it. Can we purchase an LG Remote to work with it?
I use the same Harmony One remote I used with my old NEC plasma. You just have to connect it to a computer and add the LG TV to it.
Its great for the other half or people that don't want to use 4 remotes to play a Blu-ray or switch back to cable when its done. You set it up to do an "Activity" and then you push a button that says "Play Blu-Ray". It does everything needed to accomplish the task like change input on LG, turn on AV receiver and set to Blu-ray and turn on Blu-ray player.
I still need the magic remote to access the smart functions, but I am OK with that right now.

Quick Reference of Forum Rules
1) Do Not post pricing you found on-line or at a local dealer UNLESS IN A DEALS THREAD.
2) Do Not ask for, or offer, a receipt so people can price match.
3) Do Not say to "Call John Smith at ..." (you know what I mean)
4) Do Not put down someone else's choice in...

Barrybud is offline  
post #4066 of 6462 Old 06-19-2014, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
Cleveland Plasma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 12,155
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post
Besides, Sony doesn't manufacture anything.
They do sub out many things..........

Forum Sponsor // \\
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1-866-651-0049 // \\
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Cleveland Plasma is offline  
post #4067 of 6462 Old 06-19-2014, 10:48 AM
Member
 
Audio Karma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Living On A MAGIC Roller Coaster Ride In My Room With My Tweaked out Stereo System !....
Posts: 139
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
That is how I would start Time to change everything to HDMI, do NOT spend a lot on your cables......I feel anything over $25 is a waist .
Have you tried a Mapleshade ViviLink Plus HDMI cable yet ???
Audio Karma is offline  
post #4068 of 6462 Old 06-19-2014, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Stereodude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Detroit Metro Area
Posts: 9,955
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked: 549
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio Karma View Post
Have you tried a Mapleshade ViviLink Plus HDMI cable yet ???
I'm sorry, but you don't buy a cable from a company that makes comments like this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mapleshade
After hundreds of viewing tests during our R&D, we ran a final viewing panel comparison to test just how good our final design was: Mapleshade’s Vivilink versus the $1500 Audioquest Diamond HDMI (2m), a current industry reference. Unanimous result: the panel saw more brilliant colors, more shadow detail, subtler pastel shades, better edge resolution, blacker blacks and less washed-out whites with the Vivilink; none on the panel saw any downside. With these findings in hand, we confidently guarantee our Vivilink delivers similar or better results against other top of the line HDMIs such as Wireworld, Crystal, PS Audio, Kimber, Siltech, Furutech, Acoustic Zen, Synergistic, Tara Lab, and Acoustic Zen.
vinnie97 and Rf13 like this.
Stereodude is online now  
post #4069 of 6462 Old 06-19-2014, 11:02 AM
Member
 
Audio Karma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Living On A MAGIC Roller Coaster Ride In My Room With My Tweaked out Stereo System !....
Posts: 139
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I use a Mapleshade HDMI cable with my 9.5 generation Pioneer plasma and just love it, don't judge them until you have tried one.
Audio Karma is offline  
post #4070 of 6462 Old 06-19-2014, 11:07 AM
Member
 
domm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by conan48 View Post
Gotta get another oled but I'm in Canada.

Can anyone recommend a place I can use to ship to the US canada border? I'm in Toronto. Micro center doesn't ship to Canada but I'm only an hour away from the border and will drive to pick it up. I could go to Detroit but that's a 4 hour ride....

Thanks
A friend of mine uses a service in Buffalo that takes shipments on behalf of Canadian buyers & stores the item until it is picked up by the buyer. She uses them all the time & praises them. I will try to get the web address for you.

Update: My friend sent me the web address & it is the one already mentioned by remush.

http://www.cbiusa.com/

Last edited by domm; 06-19-2014 at 11:39 AM.
domm is online now  
post #4071 of 6462 Old 06-19-2014, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Foxbat121's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: VA
Posts: 9,930
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio Karma View Post
I use a Mapleshade HDMI cable with my 9.5 generation Pioneer plasma and just love it, don't judge them until you have tried one.
Sorry, like others already pointed out, it is just snake oil.
vaktmestern and Vegas oled like this.
Foxbat121 is online now  
post #4072 of 6462 Old 06-19-2014, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member
 
vaktmestern's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,097
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanc View Post
Hi, I've been a fan of OLED for a while and have waited for large screens like this one. However I am a bit concerned about LG's ability to produce a quality OLED.

My experience with their 15" EL9500 OLED TV was very bad. Out of the box it produced an infuriating light where there should have been a black as black as if it were turned off. It was like turning on a backlit LCD. I was able to get that absolute black or something close to it by adjusting the gamma and other levels but it seemed sacrifice other qualities.

I don't understand why there even need to be various presets like "vivid, cinema, standard," etc. When there is no backlight or anything else to interfere with colors, shouldn't the colors be absolutely defined?

I also own a Sony XEL-1 OLED TV and there is not futzing around with the black. There are only two picture mode presets-- standard, vivid, and custom. Adjusting the brightness level does not affect the black. There is no setting that I can adjust that will produce a "backlight effect" changing the absolute black from anything other than it is. I've become very used to that and find it very reliable and comforting.

Turning on the screen does not produce a visible effect of turning on the whole screen. It just turns on a few pixels to display the input source and so forth. The whole experience is not of turning on a screen but of only relevant pixels at a time. It changed the very way I look at a display and what I understand a display to be.

The LG 15EL9500 by comparison did not have this paradigm-shifting effect for me. It looked cheap by comparison and it ran HOT, as in it heated up really badly, so bad that it melted the mini-HDMI metal contact off its cable. I thought, ugh, LG just doesn't know how to make an OLED TV.

I really want a large OLED TV that gives me that feeling I had with the XEL-1, that when I turn it on I can't tell power is going to the whole screen, just pixels that aren't black. Does anyone have that feeling this 55" LG?

I don't get that impression from the calibration and presets, etc. It should not be difficult to calibrate an OLED right? It shouldn't even need calibration. Is this because of the difference between WOLED and RGB OLED?

Thank you for all the replies.
Had 2 of the small Lg oleds n none of my got hot or melted the mini hdmi on them
vaktmestern is online now  
post #4073 of 6462 Old 06-19-2014, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Stereodude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Detroit Metro Area
Posts: 9,955
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked: 549
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post
Sorry, like others already pointed out, it is just snake oil.
Nonsense. The cable contains a DSP that enhances the image. It's like a Darblet cable!
Ken Ross and rlindo like this.
Stereodude is online now  
post #4074 of 6462 Old 06-19-2014, 11:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Ken Ross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: N.Y.
Posts: 23,987
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1007 Post(s)
Liked: 1091
So a question for owners here. In the review linked below, the reviewer talks about posterization with solid colored backgrounds as the result of insufficient gradations in the LG. Below is a picture in which he demonstrates this.

However, more often than not, I've seen that kind of issue not because of the display, but rather because it was actually in the content. The only way this could be proven is to see that same source on a plasma, LED and OLED. But I'm curious if owners have seen this and if they've determined it's the display and not the content.

https://translate.google.co.uk/trans...v-ou-55ea970v/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LAPTOP - MG_2766-597x370[1].jpg
Views:	40
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	126482  

Last edited by Ken Ross; 06-19-2014 at 11:53 AM.
Ken Ross is offline  
post #4075 of 6462 Old 06-19-2014, 11:49 AM
Advanced Member
 
Rf13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Florida
Posts: 535
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post
Sorry, like others already pointed out, it is just snake oil.
i agree this other statement leads me further to believe your just paying more for high quality materials that are wasted.

what makes it better is debatable especially increasing the conductance and removing more insulation...

thinner conductors, less insulation, and better dielectric materials than any of the famous high-end video cables. Then we added in the chemical and thermal treatments that work so well on our audio wires; they took our HDMIs up another sizable notch.
Rf13 is offline  
post #4076 of 6462 Old 06-19-2014, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Foxbat121's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: VA
Posts: 9,930
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
So a question for owners here. In the review linked below, the reviewer talks about posterization with solid colored backgrounds as the result of insufficient gradations in the LG. Below is a picture in which he demonstrates this.

However, more often than not, I've seen that kind of issue not because of the display, but rather because it was actually in the content. The only way this could be proven is to see that same source on a plasma, LED and OLED. But I'm curious if owners have seen this and if they've determined it's the display and not the content.

https://translate.google.co.uk/trans...v-ou-55ea970v/


Yeah compression artifacts can show up similar. To prove whether it is the source or the TV, you simply connect a PC to it and display some picture of color shades on the screen. Make sure those color shades are not from a compressed material like Jpeg or video to rule out the compression artifacts.


I have not opened the box of my TV yet. From what I saw in store, it is simply amazing.
Foxbat121 is online now  
post #4077 of 6462 Old 06-19-2014, 12:28 PM
Member
 
Audio Karma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Living On A MAGIC Roller Coaster Ride In My Room With My Tweaked out Stereo System !....
Posts: 139
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post
Sorry, like others already pointed out, it is just snake oil.
If it was just SNAKE OIL I would have returned it and got my money back but its not snake oil, Mapleshade HDMI Plus, really improves the picture but talk is cheap.
Audio Karma is offline  
post #4078 of 6462 Old 06-19-2014, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member
 
fafrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 3,613
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 590
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio Karma View Post
If it was just SNAKE OIL I would have returned it and got my money back but its not snake oil, Mapleshade HDMI Plus, really improves the picture but talk is cheap.

If it is processing the video signal using a DSP, then it is not a 'cable'.


If it is merely transmitting the digital HDMI data then it is a 'cable' and if you believe it is doing a better job transmitting that digital data than any other HDMI cable, I have a bridge or two I'd like to sell you...
fafrd is offline  
post #4079 of 6462 Old 06-19-2014, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member
 
tgm1024's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 6,351
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked: 761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
I'm sorry, but you don't buy a cable from a company that makes comments like this:
After hundreds of viewing tests during our R&D, we ran a final viewing panel comparison to test just how good our final design was: Mapleshade’s Vivilink versus the $1500 Audioquest Diamond HDMI (2m), a current industry reference. Unanimous result: the panel saw more brilliant colors, more shadow detail, subtler pastel shades, better edge resolution, blacker blacks and less washed-out whites with the Vivilink; none on the panel saw any downside. With these findings in hand, we confidently guarantee our Vivilink delivers similar or better results against other top of the line HDMIs such as Wireworld, Crystal, PS Audio, Kimber, Siltech, Furutech, Acoustic Zen, Synergistic, Tara Lab, and Acoustic Zen.
HOLY CRAP! That's got to be the gutsiest BS statement I've heard yet! AudioQuest was never quite that bold!
vaktmestern likes this.

Grow milkweed. The Monarch Butterfly requires it, and its numbers are dwindling fast.
tgm1024 is online now  
post #4080 of 6462 Old 06-19-2014, 01:21 PM
 
vinnie97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Nunya
Posts: 11,657
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post
If it is processing the video signal using a DSP, then it is not a 'cable'.


If it is merely transmitting the digital HDMI data then it is a 'cable' and if you believe it is doing a better job transmitting that digital data than any other HDMI cable, I have a bridge or two I'd like to sell you...
You're gonna' be rich (if you're not already)!
vinnie97 is offline  
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
Lg 55ea9800 Oled Hdtv , Lg
Gear in this thread - 55ea9800 by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off