LG 55EA9800 55" OLED Owner's thread - Page 149 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #4441 of 6419 Old 06-23-2014, 09:57 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Vegas oled's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 1,579
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 859 Post(s)
Liked: 565
Quote:
Originally Posted by Playdrv4me View Post

As for the issues on this TV, most of the things being mentioned are so hilariously minor for such a groundbreaking and affordable set given the technology being provided here, even at 4000.00. I'm so glad to see after all the BS we've gone through with most LCDs and plasmas that the biggest thing we have to worry about on THE FIRST FRIEKEN GENERATION OLED is seeing the imprint of the motherboard in perfect conditions. LOL.
Amen, I hate to see people not give this set a chance. I am as picky as they come and if I could see these things in content I would be posting photos and buying a plasma. I dreamed of owning an OLED since I first read about them and am so happy they have recently become affordable to so many more people. I remember seeing the LG OLED in December at Fry's for $10,999 and thinking I will never be able to afford one.

Last edited by Vegas oled; 06-23-2014 at 10:03 PM.
Vegas oled is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4442 of 6419 Old 06-23-2014, 11:42 PM
Member
 
mikeg1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 90
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5x10 View Post
I wonder how much heat the audio amp is responsible for
It's most likely a digital amplifier for sound which produces little or no heat and takes up minimal real estate.
5x10 likes this.
mikeg1 is offline  
post #4443 of 6419 Old 06-24-2014, 07:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Ken Ross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: N.Y.
Posts: 23,980
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1005 Post(s)
Liked: 1087
Quote:
Originally Posted by Playdrv4me View Post
I'm so glad to see after all the BS we've gone through with most LCDs and plasmas that the biggest thing we have to worry about on THE FIRST FRIEKEN GENERATION OLED is seeing the imprint of the motherboard in perfect conditions. LOL.
Well, let's be fair, that's not necessarily the 'biggest thing' that owners have to worry about. The jury still seems to be out about the degree & severity of IR as well as the possibility of burn-in. I'm less worried about the 'imprint' of the MB as long as it doesn't show up with actual content. People obsess, with all displays, over things that simply aren't visible with regular content. I become concerned with issues visible with content, not how things look in menus or with a 'no input' screen.

But I do agree, for a first-gen product, the LG does seem to have very few potentially significant issues.
Ken Ross is offline  
post #4444 of 6419 Old 06-24-2014, 07:33 AM
Advanced Member
 
5x10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 757
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked: 226
well see with time. i stop in to some plasma threads and they are littered with people asking about issues with their plasmas.both of my panny plasmas suffer from burn in of a channel logo. i havent stopped by the lcd world so im not too sure of their issues.
if i had to bet, i would bet that some issues will present themselves over time

with that being said, i dont mind watching this picture while i await these potential problems
5x10 is online now  
post #4445 of 6419 Old 06-24-2014, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Foxbat121's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: VA
Posts: 9,919
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 224
I think burn-in is a given, not just possibility. The question is how server is it (depends on how long the panel life is). If you bought an OLED TV, you'd better be careful about static images and the settings of the panel (don't use torture mode), more so than a Plasma TV.
Foxbat121 is offline  
post #4446 of 6419 Old 06-24-2014, 10:14 AM
Moderator
 
Barrybud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Southeastern, PA
Posts: 2,545
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post
I think burn-in is a given, not just possibility. The question is how server is it (depends on how long the panel life is). If you bought an OLED TV, you'd better be careful about static images and the settings of the panel (don't use torture mode), more so than a Plasma TV.
I am sorry, but I disagree with this statement in part. Coming from a 10 year old plasma into OLED I have to wonder, what did I do so right? Why does it seem that the general public believes the bold statement above?
My NEC early on had some IR issues, but nothing ever stuck. This was pre-break in slides and I don't ever think I used the screen wipe or negative process to clean the screen. I did have the orbiter on during its life and after 22,000 hours there are no logo or letterbox ghosts, nothing it is clean.

I cant accept that comment that burn in is a sure thing for any technology. It all depends on how you use it. If you know its possibility then there are a few simple steps to avoid it.

Just some thoughts on my 9800 so far.

My OLED probably has about 100 hours on it, I have not looked lately. Its annoying just how many networks don't use the transparent logos like History, H2, Nat Geo, Bio and others. I never thought about it with my NEC because it didn't matter. I would put Pawn Stars on for 6 hours and no IR.
On the OLED, I don't know I can do that for sure and I notice things like these logos again. Its too early on in the panel life to put it in a situation to get IR. Wouldn't this thought be common sense for owners?

What I can say is under my normal viewing I don't see and signs of IR. All of the movies we've watched so far have been 16X9 so I cant speak about the black bar issues others have had.

Banding- false contouring, I have witnessed this this on commercials, maybe 1 in 20 or 30. I saw it 1 time in content. It was during the Lantern fish scene in Finding Nemo which was on ABC Family. So with questionable compression by Comcast on an uncalibrated new display, I can say I am not all that concerned. I have viewed several sunset and cloud/fog scenes that have been smoother then my NEC ever produced.
Barrybud is offline  
post #4447 of 6419 Old 06-24-2014, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Foxbat121's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: VA
Posts: 9,919
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 224
Plasma has a panel life anywhere from 60,000 to 100,000. LG doesn't even dare to give us a number. So we have to assume that is somewhere below 20,000 in previous posts. So, it is much easier to get uneven wear, or burn-in, in short time that a typical Plasma. But eventually, it will and you may not notice that easily depends on what you watch. Saying it won't ever burn-in is like bury your head in sand.
Foxbat121 is offline  
post #4448 of 6419 Old 06-24-2014, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Vegas oled's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 1,579
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 859 Post(s)
Liked: 565
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post
Plasma has a panel life anywhere from 60,000 to 100,000. LG doesn't even dare to give us a number. So we have to assume that is somewhere below 20,000 in previous posts. So, it is much easier to get uneven wear, or burn-in, in short time that a typical Plasma. But eventually, it will and you may not notice that easily depends on what you watch. Saying it won't ever burn-in is like bury your head in sand.
Again someone making assumption with no facts. LG has stated OLED lifespan to be close to plasma. The technology being used by LG is so superior, they knocked Samsung out of the OLED game the first year. They just might know something the people making assumption on this board do not,

I never thought OLED Envy would be so wide spread. Jump in the water is perfect, the haters will be lovers soon enough. Not a knock on plasmas, I love them in the right lighting but they soon will sadly be gone 4-ever.

OLED is the Future
Playdrv4me and Morning5 like this.

Last edited by Vegas oled; 06-24-2014 at 10:47 AM.
Vegas oled is online now  
post #4449 of 6419 Old 06-24-2014, 10:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Ken Ross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: N.Y.
Posts: 23,980
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1005 Post(s)
Liked: 1087
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrybud View Post
I am sorry, but I disagree with this statement in part. Coming from a 10 year old plasma into OLED I have to wonder, what did I do so right? Why does it seem that the general public believes the bold statement above?
My NEC early on had some IR issues, but nothing ever stuck. This was pre-break in slides and I don't ever think I used the screen wipe or negative process to clean the screen. I did have the orbiter on during its life and after 22,000 hours there are no logo or letterbox ghosts, nothing it is clean.

I cant accept that comment that burn in is a sure thing for any technology. It all depends on how you use it. If you know its possibility then there are a few simple steps to avoid it.

Just some thoughts on my 9800 so far.

My OLED probably has about 100 hours on it, I have not looked lately. Its annoying just how many networks don't use the transparent logos like History, H2, Nat Geo, Bio and others. I never thought about it with my NEC because it didn't matter. I would put Pawn Stars on for 6 hours and no IR.
On the OLED, I don't know I can do that for sure and I notice things like these logos again. Its too early on in the panel life to put it in a situation to get IR. Wouldn't this thought be common sense for owners?

What I can say is under my normal viewing I don't see and signs of IR. All of the movies we've watched so far have been 16X9 so I cant speak about the black bar issues others have had.

Banding- false contouring, I have witnessed this this on commercials, maybe 1 in 20 or 30. I saw it 1 time in content. It was during the Lantern fish scene in Finding Nemo which was on ABC Family. So with questionable compression by Comcast on an uncalibrated new display, I can say I am not all that concerned. I have viewed several sunset and cloud/fog scenes that have been smoother then my NEC ever produced.
So Barry, have you totally avoided stations with solid logos like the History Channel?

I think we'd all have to agree, whether plasma or OLED, this is a disadvantage of the tech. Just the thought of having to be careful with what, and how long I watch something, is something I never put in the 'pros' section of the plasmas I've owned. We can't put it in the 'pros' side of the ledger for OLED either.

This certainly doesn't make it a 'deal-break', but it does make it a potential issue for those that are unwilling to exercise the 'care & feeding' of this tech.
Ken Ross is offline  
post #4450 of 6419 Old 06-24-2014, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Theplague13's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Jersey
Posts: 1,046
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 326
Burn in is obviously a major issue, and I highly doubt anyone's panel is exempt from it. This weekend I watched a few letterboxed movies back to back, and they certainly looked unreal. So good, black areas just become a part of the wall along with the letterbars. Yet I incurred visible lines, again, which seem to have gotten much better with 12 hours of slides, they're basically gone just faint traces on gray areas. So I suppose that means it's IR and not burn in, but the question is for how many years will I have the patience to wash away the uneven wear after a few movies? Anytime the girlfriend wants to watch a letterboxed movie after we just watched one, I get nervous about it but she thinks I'm crazy. Certainly the average person is never even going to know what to do when they see this pop up, without this forum I wouldn't have either.

On the plus side, like I previously stated many pages back, static images never burn in for me. I have played countless video games with HUDS on for hours on end with no issues whatsoever. It's strange and I still think nobody has a clue as to why aspect ratios cause retention and not static images (at least in my personal experience, I don't want anyone to try leaving an image on too long just because Ive observed this on my panel).

Quick side note about those diamond HDMIS that were being discussed, I don't believe that for one second. Amazon Mediabridge for everything, they're ten dollar HDMI's which are always the most current version and they're incredibly strong, I've never lost a single one and ive got about ten in use. $1500 hdmi's?? You've really lost your mind.
Ken Ross and vinnie97 like this.

Vinnie97, one of the kindest, most helpful and respected members here, got one of these. I wonder how much longer before we all get such a message...
You have been banned for the following reason: No reason was specified. Date the ban will be lifted: Never
Pick up the signature.

Last edited by Theplague13; 06-24-2014 at 10:56 AM.
Theplague13 is offline  
post #4451 of 6419 Old 06-24-2014, 10:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Ken Ross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: N.Y.
Posts: 23,980
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1005 Post(s)
Liked: 1087
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theplague13 View Post
Burn in is obviously a major issue. This weekend I watched a few letterboxed movies back to back, and they certainly looked unreal. So good, black areas just become a part of the wall along with the letterbars. Yet I incurred visible lines, again, which seem to have gotten much better with 12 hours of slides, they're basically gone just faint traces on gray areas. So I suppose that means it's IR and not burn in, but the question is for how many years will I have the patience to wash away the uneven wear after a few movies? Anytime the girlfriend wants to watch a letterboxed movie after we just watched one, I get nervous about it but she thinks I'm crazy. Certainly the average person is never even going to know what to do when they see this pop up, without this forum I wouldn't have either.

On the plus side, like I previously stated many pages back, static images never burn in for me. I have played countless video games with HUDS on for hours on end with no issues whatsoever. It's strange and I still think nobody has a clue as to why aspect ratios cause retention and not static images (at least in my personal experience, I don't want anyone to try leaving an image on too long just because Ive observed this on my panel).
This difference is so bizarre. But what I find really concerning about this whole IR issue is, that two movies requires 12 hours of slides and at that point it's still not 100%. Think about this, for a tech with some doubt about its lifetime, that's a lot of unused hours just to clean up the IR.

My wife is not nearly as careful as I am and it's becoming a concerning issue as I think about it. It is good news however, that you haven't seen any IR with static logos. Again, I can't understand why there would be this difference between LB movie IR and static image IR.
Ken Ross is offline  
post #4452 of 6419 Old 06-24-2014, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Vegas oled's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 1,579
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 859 Post(s)
Liked: 565
It only makes sense to be careful in the beginning. I have seen burn-in on a new Panasonic Plasma, more than likely if an OLED played the same logo 24/7 as this plasma did the results would be the same.

Static logos should be illegal if for no other reason it ruins the image. Thankfully most networks move them around or time them on or off.
Vegas oled is online now  
post #4453 of 6419 Old 06-24-2014, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Foxbat121's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: VA
Posts: 9,919
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas oled View Post
Again someone making assumption with no facts. LG has stated OLED lifespan to be close to plasma. The technology being used by LG is so superior, they knocked Samsung out of the OLED game the first year. They just might know something the people making assumption on this board do not,

I never thought OLED Envy would be so wide spread. Jump in the water is perfect, the haters will be lovers soon enough. Not a knock on plasmas, I love them in the right lighting but they soon will sadly be gone 4-ever.

OLED is the Future



You are bashing against the wrong guy. I'm not OLED hater. In fact I jump on this deal as soon as I heard of it.


But facts are facts. Unlike you, I have this excerpt from page 5 of my LG OLED manual:


If a fixed image displays on the TV screen for a long period of time, it will be imprinted and become a permanent disfigurement on the screen. This is “image burn” or “burn-in” and not covered by the warranty. y yIf the aspect ratio of the TV is set to 4:3 for a long period of time, image burn may occur on the letterboxed area of the screen. y yAvoid displaying a fixed image on the TV screen for a long period of time (1 or more hours for OLED) to prevent image burn.

Last edited by Foxbat121; 06-24-2014 at 11:08 AM.
Foxbat121 is offline  
post #4454 of 6419 Old 06-24-2014, 11:11 AM
Advanced Member
 
5x10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 757
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theplague13 View Post
Yet I incurred visible lines, again, which seem to have gotten much better with 12 hours of slides, they're basically gone just faint traces on gray areas. So I suppose that means it's IR and not burn in, but the question is for how many years will I have the patience to wash away the uneven wear after a few movies? .
this confuses me. I dont know how a tv can suffer lines or burn in from a pixel that is off
I could understand it, if there was a bright constant line that was next to the letterbox, but not from the off pixel itself
I havent seen this on my tv, and I have run 3 letterbox movies back to back 2 sundays ago
I am not doubting it happening to you, just confused on how or why
Edit: I only reason I could come up with is that the pixels being used are aging at such a rapid rate, that the brightness isnt consistent, which creates a line, but im not sure how slides would change that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
This difference is so bizarre. But what I find really concerning about this whole IR issue is, that two movies requires 12 hours of slides and at that point it's still not 100%. Think about this, for a tech with some doubt about its lifetime, that's a lot of unused hours just to clean up the IR.
i wouldnt say its condusive to all OLEDs as I havent seen the issue

Last edited by 5x10; 06-24-2014 at 11:15 AM.
5x10 is online now  
post #4455 of 6419 Old 06-24-2014, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Theplague13's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Jersey
Posts: 1,046
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
This difference is so bizarre. But what I find really concerning about this whole IR issue is, that two movies requires 12 hours of slides and at that point it's still not 100%. Think about this, for a tech with some doubt about its lifetime, that's a lot of unused hours just to clean up the IR.

My wife is not nearly as careful as I am and it's becoming a concerning issue as I think about it. It is good news however, that you haven't seen any IR with static logos. Again, I can't understand why there would be this difference between LB movie IR and static image IR.
I've got no idea myself. It's pretty absurd. I even watched 2 seasons of the show Hannibal which has the (nbc, I think? Not sure but it's the one with the peacock) all back to back and the logo never stuck. The MMORPG I've been playing on it is the best example, and if you've ever seen an MMORPG before you understand what I mean: an extremely invasive user interface with information everywhere that never moves.

Then I watch a few movies in letterboxed format and have to stress over fixing the visual wear, or like my last panel which incurred seemingly permanent burn from pillarbox format by falling asleep with it on for six hours (obviously my mistake, but it shouldn't be so fragile that one mistake ruins your $5000 investment and isn't covered under warranty). I'm sorry but in no way are these things like "looking for a mole on a supermodel".

Vinnie97, one of the kindest, most helpful and respected members here, got one of these. I wonder how much longer before we all get such a message...
You have been banned for the following reason: No reason was specified. Date the ban will be lifted: Never
Pick up the signature.

Last edited by Theplague13; 06-24-2014 at 11:28 AM.
Theplague13 is offline  
post #4456 of 6419 Old 06-24-2014, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Vegas oled's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 1,579
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 859 Post(s)
Liked: 565
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post
You are bashing against the wrong guy. I'm not OLED hater. In fact I jump on this deal as soon as I heard of it.


But facts are facts. Unlike you, I have this excerpt from page 5 of my LG OLED manual:


If a fixed image displays on the TV screen for a long period of time, it will be imprinted and become a permanent disfigurement on the screen. This is “image burn” or “burn-in” and not covered by the warranty. y yIf the aspect ratio of the TV is set to 4:3 for a long period of time, image burn may occur on the letterboxed area of the screen. y yAvoid displaying a fixed image on the TV screen for a long period of time (1 or more hours for OLED) to prevent image burn.
I was referring to your longevity post. I was told by Lg the OLED lifespan is approaching 100,000 hours. Do I believe it? No

But to post we must assume the lifespan is less than 20,000 hours would be no different than me posting the lifespan is 100,000 hours.

We will eventually know, I believe it will be around 30,000 which is the same as a CRT, time will tell.
Vegas oled is online now  
post #4457 of 6419 Old 06-24-2014, 11:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Ken Ross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: N.Y.
Posts: 23,980
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1005 Post(s)
Liked: 1087
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5x10 View Post
this confuses me. I dont know how a tv can suffer lines or burn in from a pixel that is off
I could understand it, if there was a bright constant line that was next to the letterbox, but not from the off pixel itself
I havent seen this on my tv, and I have run 3 letterbox movies back to back 2 sundays ago
I am not doubting it happening to you, just confused on how or why
Edit: I only reason I could come up with is that the pixels being used are aging at such a rapid rate, that the brightness isnt consistent, which creates a line, but im not sure how slides would change that
Vinnie also reported this with LB movies.
Ken Ross is offline  
post #4458 of 6419 Old 06-24-2014, 11:33 AM
Advanced Member
 
5x10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 757
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
Vinnie also reported this with LB movies.
if they show, ill report them as well

any ideas on how an off pixel can create burn in?
5x10 is online now  
post #4459 of 6419 Old 06-24-2014, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Theplague13's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Jersey
Posts: 1,046
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
Vinnie also reported this with LB movies.
So did coopson, in fact the picture he posted of it is rmfsirly terrifying. And it's thanks to Vinnie and TGM that I know how to combat it when it happens.

Vinnie97, one of the kindest, most helpful and respected members here, got one of these. I wonder how much longer before we all get such a message...
You have been banned for the following reason: No reason was specified. Date the ban will be lifted: Never
Pick up the signature.

Last edited by Theplague13; 06-24-2014 at 11:37 AM.
Theplague13 is offline  
post #4460 of 6419 Old 06-24-2014, 11:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Ken Ross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: N.Y.
Posts: 23,980
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1005 Post(s)
Liked: 1087
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theplague13 View Post
I've got no idea myself. It's pretty absurd. I even watched 2 seasons of the show Hannibal which has the (nbc, I think? Not sure but it's the one with the peacock) all back to back and the logo never stuck. The MMORPG I've been playing on it is the best example, and if you've ever seen an MMORPG before you understand what I mean: an extremely invasive user interface with information everywhere that never moves.
Hannibal is NBC, but the NBC logo is translucent and not nearly as bad as something like the History Channel. I'd wonder if you'd get IR with that logo? As for MMORPG, I haven't seen that.
Ken Ross is offline  
post #4461 of 6419 Old 06-24-2014, 11:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Ken Ross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: N.Y.
Posts: 23,980
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1005 Post(s)
Liked: 1087
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas oled View Post
I was referring to your longevity post. I was told by Lg the OLED lifespan is approaching 100,000 hours. Do I believe it? No

But to post we must assume the lifespan is less than 20,000 hours would be no different than me posting the lifespan is 100,000 hours.

We will eventually know, I believe it will be around 30,000 which is the same as a CRT, time will tell.
So just so everyone is familiar with what manufacturers generally consider 'lifetime', it's the point at which the display loses 1/2 brightness. It doesn't mean the display drops dead at that point.

Likewise, the drop in brightness is a gradual progression. I'm not sure if it's a linear progression or something non-linear.
Ken Ross is offline  
post #4462 of 6419 Old 06-24-2014, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Vegas oled's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 1,579
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 859 Post(s)
Liked: 565
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5x10 View Post
if they show, ill report them as well

any ideas on how an off pixel can create burn in?
I do not watch a lot of LB movies, if I did have IR I would not fix it with slides I would just watch full screen TV. No proof slides work any better with OLED and how many hrs of your tvs lifespan do you want to waste from running slides?

If I was a big LB movie fan I would go with an LED.
Vegas oled is online now  
post #4463 of 6419 Old 06-24-2014, 11:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Ken Ross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: N.Y.
Posts: 23,980
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1005 Post(s)
Liked: 1087
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5x10 View Post
if they show, ill report them as well

any ideas on how an off pixel can create burn in?
If I had to guess, I'd say it's something more like the point of demarcation between the pixels that were on during the movie and those that weren't. I guess a form of uneven wear. If that's the case, you'd almost need a slide that is the negative of the LB movie. In this manner the area that was lit during the LB movie remains unlit and only the LB bars are now active.

But who knows?
Ken Ross is offline  
post #4464 of 6419 Old 06-24-2014, 11:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Ken Ross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: N.Y.
Posts: 23,980
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1005 Post(s)
Liked: 1087
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas oled View Post
I do not watch a lot of LB movies, if I did have IR I would not fix it with slides I would just watch full screen TV. No proof slides work any better with OLED and how many hrs of your tvs lifespan do you want to waste from running slides?

If I was a big LB movie fan I would go with an LED.
I never once used slides during break in with any of my plasmas and none suffered from burn-in. All had IR, but in varying degrees.

My philosophy on this was to enjoy the display from the time I took it out of the box. Sure you need to be careful with what you watch at the beginning, but let me think, would I rather watch colored slides or actual TV content for the first 100-200 hours?
Ken Ross is offline  
post #4465 of 6419 Old 06-24-2014, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Theplague13's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Jersey
Posts: 1,046
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
Hannibal is NBC, but the NBC logo is translucent and not nearly as bad as something like the History Channel. I'd wonder if you'd get IR with that logo? As for MMORPG, I haven't seen that.
Nah, it wouldn't. That was just an example, mostly I'm talking about video games with static hud's (heads up display, things like health meter, points, money, missions or whatever; which are constantly displayed on screen). I posted a pic of the specific MMO a while back, but I'm on my phone now so I won't double post it but you get the idea. I simply dont worry about static images at all.

Vinnie97, one of the kindest, most helpful and respected members here, got one of these. I wonder how much longer before we all get such a message...
You have been banned for the following reason: No reason was specified. Date the ban will be lifted: Never
Pick up the signature.
Theplague13 is offline  
post #4466 of 6419 Old 06-24-2014, 11:45 AM
Advanced Member
 
5x10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 757
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
If I had to guess, I'd say it's something more like the point of demarcation between the pixels that were on during the movie and those that weren't. I guess a form of uneven wear. If that's the case, you'd almost need a slide that is the negative of the LB movie. In this manner the area that was lit during the LB movie remains unlit and only the LB bars are now active.

But who knows?
yeah, i cant figure it out,
I can see the letterbox on the top pic below, im wondering if anyone has seen this in anything other than gray screens? I would like to see if this shows up on a white screen.
Also, does anyone else think the letterbox burn in , on the avengers pic, seem angled and diminshes from left to right? almost looks like its just part of the picture, or in other words, part of how it was filmed

[/QUOTE]
5x10 is online now  
post #4467 of 6419 Old 06-24-2014, 11:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Ken Ross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: N.Y.
Posts: 23,980
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1005 Post(s)
Liked: 1087
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theplague13 View Post
Nah, it wouldn't. That was just an example, mostly I'm talking about video games with static hud's (heads up display, thinks like health meter , points money missions whatever, which are constantly displayed on screen).
Are you talking about translucent HUDs or solid, bright HUDs?
Ken Ross is offline  
post #4468 of 6419 Old 06-24-2014, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Vegas oled's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 1,579
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 859 Post(s)
Liked: 565
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
If I had to guess, I'd say it's something more like the point of demarcation between the pixels that were on during the movie and those that weren't. I guess a form of uneven wear. If that's the case, you'd almost need a slide that is the negative of the LB movie. In this manner the area that was lit during the LB movie remains unlit and only the LB bars are now active.

But who knows?
I just would not want to have to monitor and manage 12 hours of slides . OLED is great but the 900B is nice too. I would not want to own an OLED if I felt the need to run slides to remove IR all the time
Vegas oled is online now  
post #4469 of 6419 Old 06-24-2014, 11:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Ken Ross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: N.Y.
Posts: 23,980
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1005 Post(s)
Liked: 1087
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5x10 View Post
yeah, i cant figure it out,
I can see the letterbox on the top pic below, im wondering if anyone has seen this in anything other than gray screens? I would like to see if this shows up on a white screen.
Also, does anyone else think the letterbox burn in , on the avengers pic, seem angled and diminshes from left to right? almost looks like its just part of the picture, or in other words, part of how it was filmed

[/QUOTE]

I'm seeing bars of different thickness in the top & bottom pix. The bottom pix is a thicker dark bar than the top one. I also don't see the corresponding bottom LB bar in the bottom pix. Really very weird! The bottom one would bug me, the top one with a gray only screen, not so much. But yes, the bottom one with content is concerning.

Here's the other bizarre thing. If this is uneven wear, the unused areas should be brighter, not darker!
Ken Ross is offline  
post #4470 of 6419 Old 06-24-2014, 11:52 AM
Moderator
 
Barrybud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Southeastern, PA
Posts: 2,545
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
So Barry, have you totally avoided stations with solid logos like the History Channel?

I think we'd all have to agree, whether plasma or OLED, this is a disadvantage of the tech. Just the thought of having to be careful with what, and how long I watch something, is something I never put in the 'pros' section of the plasmas I've owned. We can't put it in the 'pros' side of the ledger for OLED either.

This certainly doesn't make it a 'deal-break', but it does make it a potential issue for those that are unwilling to exercise the 'care & feeding' of this tech.
No I have not avoided anything, I am just aware of it.

Would it be a good idea drive a car for 5 years and not change the oil, why not?

When you look at the bleeding edge of technology there are just some habits you get into to not get into trouble. If not then get a new display every 3 years and don't worry about it

There is not a display technology out there completely immune. The worst abuse of displays I ever saw were LCD's at an airport.
@Foxbat121

I am not burying my head in the sand in any way. Honestly I have to wonder how people are running these displays to make BI a sure thing?

Maybe I just go lucky with my plasma, lets see if it holds out for the OLED.
Barrybud is offline  
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
Lg 55ea9800 Oled Hdtv , Lg
Gear in this thread - 55ea9800 by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off