LG 55EA9800 55" OLED Owner's thread - Page 150 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #4471 of 7119 Old 06-24-2014, 12:53 PM
Advanced Member
 
5x10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 899
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenRoss
I'm seeing bars of different thickness in the top & bottom pix. The bottom pix is a thicker dark bar than the top one. I also don't see the corresponding bottom LB bar in the bottom pix. Really very weird! The bottom one would bug me, the top one with a gray only screen, not so much. But yes, the bottom one with content is concerning.

Here's the other bizarre thing. If this is uneven wear, the unused areas should be brighter, not darker!
thats the thing, is it really burn in or just how the film was captured on picture(lighting?)
like you said, there is no line on the bottom at all, the line on the top appears to diminish in thickness as it goes left to right, almost makes me think it isnt LB burn in as it isnt consistent with LB burn in
I think this tv shows every flaw on a gray screen, im interested to see if any other memebrs have the same flaws showing on content or screens other than gray
5x10 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4472 of 7119 Old 06-24-2014, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Theplague13's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Jersey
Posts: 1,048
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
I never once used slides during break in with any of my plasmas and none suffered from burn-in. All had IR, but in varying degrees.

My philosophy on this was to enjoy the display from the time I took it out of the box. Sure you need to be careful with what you watch at the beginning, but let me think, would I rather watch colored slides or actual TV content for the first 100-200 hours?
That's fine, you don't need slides as long as what you're watching during those initial hours is full screen content. I only used slides overnight, at work, or while not watching tv. When I watched it I rand only full screen material. There is no contesting, for me, that my panel is more resilient to it after about 300-400 hours. I still have the smallest amount of burn (rarely noticeable, but it exists under the righht conditions) from thinking I could stop the break in process early. Now when it happens I can usually fix it, though it takes time.

If I sow a wind now, I will reap a storm.
Theplague13 is offline  
post #4473 of 7119 Old 06-24-2014, 12:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Ken Ross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: N.Y.
Posts: 25,271
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1836 Post(s)
Liked: 1889
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5x10 View Post
thats the thing, is it really burn in or just how the film was captured on picture(lighting?)
like you said, there is no line on the bottom at all, the line on the top appears to diminish in thickness as it goes left to right, almost makes me think it isnt LB burn in as it isnt consistent with LB burn in
I think this tv shows every flaw on a gray screen, im interested to see if any other memebrs have the same flaws showing on content or screens other than gray
Well it's very easy to determine if that was a content issue or not. Simply view some other full screen material and see if you still see it. If you do, it's the TV. Of course one could argue it's a weird issue with your service provider if it's all being fed by your cable company. If so, a full screen DVD/BD would answer that question.
Ken Ross is offline  
post #4474 of 7119 Old 06-24-2014, 01:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Foxbat121's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: VA
Posts: 10,156
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked: 268
Burn-in is simply the uneven wear of pixels. For a pixel that is not on full brightness or turned off, it does not wear as much as the pixel that is on, even worse on full brightness. So, pixels in black bar area, those pixels don't wear as much as the pixels next to them displaying images. So the end result is you see the burn-in because the black bar area pixels are brighter than those not in black bars. Running slides wears down those otherwise bright pixels to even out by sacrificing the already limited panel life.


So, no, I personally never run such slides. Knowing full well to expect burn in before you buy the OLED TV is the best way to cop with it and play it safe during day to day usage, not just initial hours.
Foxbat121 is online now  
post #4475 of 7119 Old 06-24-2014, 01:01 PM
Advanced Member
 
5x10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 899
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
Well it's very easy to determine if that was a content issue or not. Simply view some other full screen material and see if you still see it. If you do, it's the TV. Of course one could argue it's a weird issue with your service provider if it's all being fed by your cable company. If so, a full screen DVD/BD would answer that question.
agreed, i would like to see more pics from users with the LB burn in
I dont think the avengers pic is burn in
5x10 is offline  
post #4476 of 7119 Old 06-24-2014, 01:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Ken Ross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: N.Y.
Posts: 25,271
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1836 Post(s)
Liked: 1889
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrybud View Post
No I have not avoided anything, I am just aware of it.

Would it be a good idea drive a car for 5 years and not change the oil, why not?

When you look at the bleeding edge of technology there are just some habits you get into to not get into trouble. If not then get a new display every 3 years and don't worry about it

There is not a display technology out there completely immune. The worst abuse of displays I ever saw were LCD's at an airport.
@Foxbat121

I am not burying my head in the sand in any way. Honestly I have to wonder how people are running these displays to make BI a sure thing?

Maybe I just go lucky with my plasma, lets see if it holds out for the OLED.
I was merely asking if you avoided burning logos (The History Channel logo as opposed to the translucent NBC logo).

I will tell you this, I DID avoid channels like the History channel with every new plasma I owned for the first several hundred hours. I did not choose to tempt fate.
Ken Ross is offline  
post #4477 of 7119 Old 06-24-2014, 01:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Ken Ross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: N.Y.
Posts: 25,271
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1836 Post(s)
Liked: 1889
@ Theplague13

So let me ask you this, if you had to do it again, would you still buy the OLED knowing what you do now?
Ken Ross is offline  
post #4478 of 7119 Old 06-24-2014, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Theplague13's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Jersey
Posts: 1,048
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post
Burn-in is simply the uneven wear of pixels. For a pixel that is not on full brightness or turned off, it does not wear as much as the pixel that is on, even worse on full brightness. So, pixels in black bar area, those pixels don't wear as much as the pixels next to them displaying images. So the end result is you see the burn-in because the black bar area pixels are brighter than those not in black bars. Running slides wears down those otherwise bright pixels to even out by sacrificing the already limited panel life.


So, no, I personally never run such slides. Knowing full well to expect burn in before you buy the OLED TV is the best way to cop with it and play it safe during day to day usage, not just initial hours.
While that sounds reasonable it isn't the case. Under the LB bars, what happens is not aging as those areas look darker after the burn, and not lighter. Everyone who has reported this issue said the same thing. Slides return it to Full brightness, not the other way around. My tv is not any darker since I've owned it, and I've used slides tons. If you never use them you cannot counteract the "wear" when it happens.

If I sow a wind now, I will reap a storm.
Theplague13 is offline  
post #4479 of 7119 Old 06-24-2014, 01:07 PM
Advanced Member
 
5x10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 899
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theplague13 View Post
While that sounds reasonable it isn't the case. Under the LB bars, what happens is not aging as those areas look darker after the burn, and not lighter. Everyone who has reported this issue said the same thing. Slides return it to Full brightness, not the other way around. My tv is not any darker since I've owned it, and I've used slides tons. If you never use them you cannot counteract the "wear" when it happens.
was going to post this, the LB shows to be darker when they should appear lighter, which makes no sense as they should appear lighter/brighter

my old mitsubishi projector tv had really bad brightness issues with the side bars, prior to full screen hd content
5x10 is offline  
post #4480 of 7119 Old 06-24-2014, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Theplague13's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Jersey
Posts: 1,048
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
@ Theplague13

So let me ask you this, if you had to do it again, would you still buy the OLED knowing what you do now?
Yes.

The OLED is fantastic. I simply recognize where it's flaws are, because to me it is quite apparent that it is first gen tech. However I do not mind "maintenance", whereas the average person would. I absolutely love my tv, but I'm realistic.

I probably would have waited for it to go down in price, though. I do not feel like it is worth 5k. Ignoring the issues and just focusing on PQ it is, without a doubt, the absolute best of 1080p you can get.
Ken Ross and 5x10 like this.

If I sow a wind now, I will reap a storm.
Theplague13 is offline  
post #4481 of 7119 Old 06-24-2014, 01:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Foxbat121's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: VA
Posts: 10,156
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked: 268
Is there any info about 24p playback? I saw no difference between 24p and 60p signal of the same film (of course, I'm not that sensitive to the judder to begin with). With my Panasonic GT, it will be obvious by the screen flickering at 48Hz ) but there is no way to tell on this TV whether I turn off TruMotion or not.
Foxbat121 is online now  
post #4482 of 7119 Old 06-24-2014, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mo949's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 3,562
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 661
funny how in this thread when discussing the issues and how they relate to a model in general I don't hear the usual arguments of:

-oh the set you have a pic of must be defective
-bad sample
-only one or two owners notice this issue
-never seen this issue on any of the models in the stores (and my eyes are amazing!)
-that's only one or two reviews that say that

I like OLED owners
mo949 is offline  
post #4483 of 7119 Old 06-24-2014, 02:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Foxbat121's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: VA
Posts: 10,156
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by mo949 View Post
I like OLED owners
The number of OLED owners are quite small right now even with MC deals (I speculated before that only around 250 TVs were sold at this price). But I don't believe for a minute that OLED owners are any different than other TV owners. Some ppl are just ***** regardless what they own.
Foxbat121 is online now  
post #4484 of 7119 Old 06-24-2014, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Theplague13's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Jersey
Posts: 1,048
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by mo949 View Post
funny how in this thread when discussing the issues and how they relate to a model in general I don't hear the usual arguments of:

-oh the set you have a pic of must be defective
-bad sample
-only one or two owners notice this issue
-never seen this issue on any of the models in the stores (and my eyes are amazing!)
-that's only one or two reviews that say that

I like OLED owners

For the most part you're right, this thread has been really helpful, and I've learned a lot from it. If it weren't for people like Vinnie and TGM (and others) I may have returned the set back when I was still able to, instead of replacing the panel. I'm not sure if it's avs in general, or just this thread but coming from some video game forums like gamefaqs what a difference. There is, however the occasional memeber who uses these exact arguments, which I've blocked so as to avoid future bickering.
vinnie97 likes this.

If I sow a wind now, I will reap a storm.
Theplague13 is offline  
post #4485 of 7119 Old 06-24-2014, 04:13 PM
Member
 
cchong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
If you would get an extended warranty for this tv would you get the LG warranty $161 for 3 years after 1 year included warranty or the squaretrade 4 year warranty $160? Basically same price.
cchong is offline  
post #4486 of 7119 Old 06-24-2014, 05:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
rogo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Stop making curved screens
Posts: 30,583
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked: 773
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrybud View Post
I am sorry, but I disagree with this statement in part. Coming from a 10 year old plasma into OLED I have to wonder, what did I do so right? Why does it seem that the general public believes the bold statement above?
My NEC early on had some IR issues, but nothing ever stuck. This was pre-break in slides and I don't ever think I used the screen wipe or negative process to clean the screen. I did have the orbiter on during its life and after 22,000 hours there are no logo or letterbox ghosts, nothing it is clean.
I can't echo this more loudly. Two plasmas. Eight years. Zero burn in or detectable image retention here. Do I doubt others with different models who claim they've had issues? No. But I've had none.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
This difference is so bizarre. But what I find really concerning about this whole IR issue is, that two movies requires 12 hours of slides and at that point it's still not 100%. Think about this, for a tech with some doubt about its lifetime, that's a lot of unused hours just to clean up the IR.
If a TV required any hours to "clean up" image retention, that alone would remove it from my shopping list. Period.
Barrybud likes this.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working. (Oh, and plasma didn't die because of logistics problems, nor does OLED ship in big boxes because it comes from Korea.)
rogo is offline  
post #4487 of 7119 Old 06-24-2014, 05:45 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Theplague13's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Jersey
Posts: 1,048
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by cchong View Post
If you would get an extended warranty for this tv would you get the LG warranty $161 for 3 years after 1 year included warranty or the squaretrade 4 year warranty $160? Basically same price.
Well the LG warranty is much better than squaretrade, as squaretrade takes money out of your balance (the cost of the tv) for every repair they do, meaning you may run out of warranty long before it technically ends. So basically it's whether you want a better warranty for more money or to save some money.

Edit: Duh you said they're the same price. Go with LG by a long shot. You have infinite panel replacements, you may get one out of squaretrade. Even if you don't use it it's a no brainer.

If I sow a wind now, I will reap a storm.

Last edited by Theplague13; 06-24-2014 at 06:29 PM.
Theplague13 is offline  
post #4488 of 7119 Old 06-24-2014, 06:29 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Vegas oled's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 1,885
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1018 Post(s)
Liked: 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post
I can't echo this more loudly. Two plasmas. Eight years. Zero burn in or detectable image retention here. Do I doubt others with different models who claim they've had issues? No. But I've had none.



If a TV required any hours to "clean up" image retention, that alone would remove it from my shopping list. Period.
I agree 100%. I do not test fate by watching letterbox movies with a new OLED. I refuse to run slides to remove IR, I believe IR will subside with regular full screen content. Nobody has confirmed that They have had actual burn-in on an OLED. This if course does not mean is not possible.

I owned a LOEWE 42" plasma and never had burn-in but did have some IR which I erased with regular full screen viewing.
Letterbox movie junkies should avoid plasma or OLED. Although I have never seen burnin on a f8500.
Vegas oled is offline  
post #4489 of 7119 Old 06-24-2014, 06:32 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Theplague13's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Jersey
Posts: 1,048
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 328
Of course they've confirmed it. It's in the manual, and LG admits to it. There are pictures of it up on the forum. Most importantly, OLED phones have been out for years and years and they're proven to suffer burn in. Do some research on OLED, burn in is a fact.
herpderp likes this.

If I sow a wind now, I will reap a storm.
Theplague13 is offline  
post #4490 of 7119 Old 06-24-2014, 06:39 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mo949's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 3,562
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrybud View Post
There is not a display technology out there completely immune. The worst abuse of displays I ever saw were LCD's at an airport.
@Foxbat121
Funny you noticed the LCD burn in at the airport as well. We are definitely geeks
mo949 is offline  
post #4491 of 7119 Old 06-24-2014, 06:39 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Vegas oled's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 1,885
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1018 Post(s)
Liked: 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theplague13 View Post
Of course they've confirmed it. It's in the manual, and LG admits to it. There are pictures of it up on the forum. Most importantly, OLED phones have been out for years and years and they're proven to suffer burn in. Do some research on OLED, burn in is a fact.
It is also in the manual of every LCD made by LG. I have watched thousand of hours on a plasma and hundreds on OLED and not had any burnin. I have not even seen IR on an OLED because the early pioneers recommend avoiding LB during the first 300 hours.

OLED is clearly not a good choice for LB movie fans.
Vegas oled is offline  
post #4492 of 7119 Old 06-24-2014, 06:54 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Theplague13's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Jersey
Posts: 1,048
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas oled View Post
It is also in the manual of every LCD made by LG. I have watched thousand of hours on a plasma and hundreds on OLED and not had any burnin. I have not even seen IR on an OLED because the early pioneers recommend avoiding LB during the first 300 hours.

OLED is clearly not a good choice for LB movie fans.
And you've never had an OLED phone? They're prone to burn in. Millions of people have reported it, just do a Google image search. You need to do some research on OLED technology; you will undoubtedly read that burn in is, and always has been, a known issue with it. Sony is even changing the PS Vita display to LCD because it gets burn in in its current form, a 5" OLED. It really isn't debatable that it happens to OLED displays. It has been well documented since their inception.

If I sow a wind now, I will reap a storm.

Last edited by Theplague13; 06-24-2014 at 07:02 PM.
Theplague13 is offline  
post #4493 of 7119 Old 06-24-2014, 07:05 PM
Advanced Member
 
5x10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 899
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Still wondering how turned off pixels can burn in
I can see it on a phone, where the same icons are there all day/everyday

So far, no lb burn in to report and the first 6 hours of tv viewing were lb movies
5x10 is offline  
post #4494 of 7119 Old 06-24-2014, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Theplague13's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Jersey
Posts: 1,048
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5x10 View Post
Still wondering how turned off pixels can burn in
I can see it on a phone, where the same icons are there all day/everyday

So far, no lb burn in to report and the first 6 hours of tv viewing were lb movies
Well I wonder the exact same thing. It really seems illogical but it's been reported by three original owners, all of whom incurred it on more than one panel. So what I really can't understand, if some of you don't get it, is how that's possible. And if you guys watch lots of LB content and never see it, if I should look toward another panel replacement.

What's your take on it, Vinnie?

If I sow a wind now, I will reap a storm.

Last edited by Theplague13; 06-24-2014 at 07:22 PM.
Theplague13 is offline  
post #4495 of 7119 Old 06-24-2014, 07:24 PM
Advanced Member
 
5x10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 899
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked: 303
I've got quite a few Blu rays being delivered in the next few days, ill run 2-3 lb movies in a row then ill run some YouTube videos I have found that have white/light blue screens
It should show any burn in, not too worried about trying this as your reported success of removing
Will report results, and take pics of any burn in
5x10 is offline  
post #4496 of 7119 Old 06-24-2014, 07:49 PM
Member
 
cchong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theplague13 View Post
Well the LG warranty is much better than squaretrade, as squaretrade takes money out of your balance (the cost of the tv) for every repair they do, meaning you may run out of warranty long before it technically ends. So basically it's whether you want a better warranty for more money or to save some money.

Edit: Duh you said they're the same price. Go with LG by a long shot. You have infinite panel replacements, you may get one out of squaretrade. Even if you don't use it it's a no brainer.
Thanks. I'll get the LG warranty.
cchong is offline  
post #4497 of 7119 Old 06-24-2014, 08:48 PM
 
vinnie97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Nunya
Posts: 11,657
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrybud View Post
I am sorry, but I disagree with this statement in part. Coming from a 10 year old plasma into OLED I have to wonder, what did I do so right? Why does it seem that the general public believes the bold statement above?
My NEC early on had some IR issues, but nothing ever stuck. This was pre-break in slides and I don't ever think I used the screen wipe or negative process to clean the screen. I did have the orbiter on during its life and after 22,000 hours there are no logo or letterbox ghosts, nothing it is clean.

I cant accept that comment that burn in is a sure thing for any technology. It all depends on how you use it. If you know its possibility then there are a few simple steps to avoid it.
I believed this way until I put the ZT60 to use. Very easy to get IR on these sets, and after 250 hours I've only been able to reduce it by 80%. This is from a Netflix navigation bar, hardly something that was left on the screen for more than 5 minutes at a time. Good riddance to bad rubbish (as great as plasma PQ can be).
vinnie97 is offline  
post #4498 of 7119 Old 06-24-2014, 08:56 PM
 
vinnie97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Nunya
Posts: 11,657
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross
I'm seeing bars of different thickness in the top & bottom pix. The bottom pix is a thicker dark bar than the top one. I also don't see the corresponding bottom LB bar in the bottom pix. Really very weird! The bottom one would bug me, the top one with a gray only screen, not so much. But yes, the bottom one with content is concerning.

Here's the other bizarre thing. If this is uneven wear, the unused areas should be brighter, not darker!
That's why it's been surmised that it's perhaps a memory effect issue and can be laid at the feed of the immature IGZO backplane technology versus the OLED tech specifically (since it's pretty resilient to static images).
vinnie97 is offline  
post #4499 of 7119 Old 06-24-2014, 09:02 PM
 
vinnie97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Nunya
Posts: 11,657
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1012
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5x10 View Post
agreed, i would like to see more pics from users with the LB burn in
I dont think the avengers pic is burn in
I don't think burn-in is an accurate descriptor for it because it can be made to fade to at least 90% fairly easy (probably to 100% with a little more time). I have seen such letterbox IR on actual content after watching the LOTR in a divided marathon fashion, for instance. And it's not that I like letterbox movies any more than content in 1.85:1 format, but many movies just so happen to be filmed in the former. I couldn't tolerate watching them on an LCD, not after enjoying plasma for the last 6 years.
herpderp likes this.
vinnie97 is offline  
post #4500 of 7119 Old 06-24-2014, 09:10 PM
 
vinnie97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Nunya
Posts: 11,657
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theplague13 View Post
Well I wonder the exact same thing. It really seems illogical but it's been reported by three original owners, all of whom incurred it on more than one panel. So what I really can't understand, if some of you don't get it, is how that's possible. And if you guys watch lots of LB content and never see it, if I should look toward another panel replacement.

What's your take on it, Vinnie?
See above...my theory is the same as before. But what I am wondering is if the manufacturing methodologies are improving, and that could help explain the newfound resilience?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5x10 View Post
I've got quite a few Blu rays being delivered in the next few days, ill run 2-3 lb movies in a row then ill run some YouTube videos I have found that have white/light blue screens
It should show any burn in, not too worried about trying this as your reported success of removing
Will report results, and take pics of any burn in
White and blue will not show it as much as gray will. Can you report back after checking the gray slide from that Panasonic break-in collection? Eagerly awaiting your findings because it does sound like grounds for another panel replacement on my and Plague's part if they've made inroads here.

Last edited by vinnie97; 06-24-2014 at 09:22 PM.
vinnie97 is offline  
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
Lg 55ea9800 Oled Hdtv , Lg
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off