LG 55EA9800 55" OLED Owner's thread - Page 151 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #4501 of 7045 Old 06-24-2014, 09:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Ken Ross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: N.Y.
Posts: 24,933
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1606 Post(s)
Liked: 1697
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas oled View Post

OLED is clearly not a good choice for LB movie fans.
That's quite possible, but the only problem is that those are precisely the people that value OLED PQ attributes.
vinnie97 and herpderp like this.
Ken Ross is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4502 of 7045 Old 06-24-2014, 09:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Ken Ross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: N.Y.
Posts: 24,933
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1606 Post(s)
Liked: 1697
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post
See above...my theory is the same as before. But what I am wondering is if the manufacturing methodologies are improving, and that could help explain the newfound resilience?
Vinnie, what exactly do you mean by 'newfound resilience'? Are you referring to panels with more recent manufacturing dates having greater resistance to IR or something else?
Ken Ross is offline  
post #4503 of 7045 Old 06-24-2014, 09:23 PM
 
vinnie97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Nunya
Posts: 11,657
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1011
Yes..5x10's report namely. Vegas isn't seeing it either, so it makes one curious.
vinnie97 is offline  
post #4504 of 7045 Old 06-24-2014, 10:04 PM
Advanced Member
 
Morning5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 527
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Do Oled owners use Noise Reduction?

In an old Sharp tv I had, I got some temporal image retention when using Noise Reduction. Just a tought.
Morning5 is offline  
post #4505 of 7045 Old 06-24-2014, 10:05 PM
 
vinnie97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Nunya
Posts: 11,657
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1011
Pretty sure I have that disabled, as I always disable similar PQ manipulation on all the plasmas I've owned.
herpderp likes this.

Last edited by vinnie97; 06-24-2014 at 10:08 PM.
vinnie97 is offline  
post #4506 of 7045 Old 06-24-2014, 10:51 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Theplague13's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Jersey
Posts: 1,048
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 328
I do not use noise reduction, and certainly not from the TV. It drastically reduces fine detail. If I have to, for dvds or cable broadcasts I'll enable it from my receiver and not the tv. And even that is only a very small portion of my viewing.

If it honestly turns out to be true that many people aren't seeing any retention from LB or PB material after many hours of viewing, and not even on grayscales, then I'll most likely be trying to replace my panel again before the warranty expires. It just seems odd that it would be due to increased resilience over time, as my panel was only manufactured 3-4 months ago. Also Ken is a new owner who seems to be experiencing traces of IR already.

Unfortunately people cannot be labelled as fans or not fans of LB movies. It isn't under our control that 90% of films from the last two decades are filmed in the 2:35:1 or 2:40:1 format. If you aren't a fan of LB films then you really can't be a fan of films.
Ken Ross, vinnie97 and herpderp like this.

If I sow a wind now, I will reap a storm.
Theplague13 is offline  
post #4507 of 7045 Old 06-24-2014, 11:05 PM
Moderator
 
Barrybud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Southeastern, PA
Posts: 2,546
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morning5 View Post
Do Oled owners use Noise Reduction?

In an old Sharp tv I had, I got some temporal image retention when using Noise Reduction. Just a tought.
I have most if not all of the processing off except motion for judder and blur.
Barrybud is offline  
post #4508 of 7045 Old 06-25-2014, 12:09 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Playdrv4me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 1,201
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theplague13 View Post
Well the LG warranty is much better than squaretrade, as squaretrade takes money out of your balance (the cost of the tv) for every repair they do, meaning you may run out of warranty long before it technically ends. So basically it's whether you want a better warranty for more money or to save some money.

Edit: Duh you said they're the same price. Go with LG by a long shot. You have infinite panel replacements, you may get one out of squaretrade. Even if you don't use it it's a no brainer.
Does the LG warranty cover accidental damage, like if the TV falls off the stand or something?
Playdrv4me is offline  
post #4509 of 7045 Old 06-25-2014, 12:15 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Playdrv4me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 1,201
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
That's quite possible, but the only problem is that those are precisely the people that value OLED PQ attributes.
I haven't even unpacked the one I got, as I haven't ultimately decided what I'm going to do with it, but if it's true that the biggest IR concerns with this set are with LB movies and the channel logos aren't sticking, then I might be golden. I never watch movies but appreciate the best picture I can get out of my cable shows. Velocity, Discovery, History, ID, HGTV, DIY etc. Many, of which don't have the transparent logos (the "wings" of the V on Velocity seem to be the absolute worst for some reason on my Samsung F5300). Also my TV remains on most of the day for various reasons. The last TV I had that echoed this same pattern was the Pioneer Pro-141FD Elite. It only had like 3k hours on it when I got it from the original owner last year, but within those 3k hours he somehow managed to get some very faint horizontal lines across the upper and lower quadrants of the TV that I finally surmised were from letterboxing of movies. Yet none of my channel logos ever remained.
Playdrv4me is offline  
post #4510 of 7045 Old 06-25-2014, 12:17 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Theplague13's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Jersey
Posts: 1,048
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Playdrv4me View Post
Does the LG warranty cover accidental damage, like if the TV falls off the stand or something?
I don't believe so, but squaretrade definitely doesn't either. I've never heard of an EW that covers physical damage incurred by the owner. If this happens your best bet is to put in a claim for something completely different and act like there is no relation to that and the physical damage, if they notice it at all.

If I sow a wind now, I will reap a storm.
Theplague13 is offline  
post #4511 of 7045 Old 06-25-2014, 12:45 AM
 
vinnie97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Nunya
Posts: 11,657
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1011
He can correct me if I'm wrong (I was gone for a few days), but I don't think Ken has a 9800 actually, Plague. Just investigating 1st gen issues with the possible idea of eventually grabbing the 77" after it debuts.
vinnie97 is offline  
post #4512 of 7045 Old 06-25-2014, 12:53 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Theplague13's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Jersey
Posts: 1,048
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post
He can correct me if I'm wrong (I was gone for a few days), but I don't think Ken has a 9800 actually, Plague. Just investigating 1st gen issues with the possible idea of eventually grabbing the 77" after it debuts.
Oh I gotcha, yeah I could be wrong. I was gone a few days myself. In fact I wasn't sure I read his post correctly, he didn't actually mention the 9800.

If I sow a wind now, I will reap a storm.
Theplague13 is offline  
post #4513 of 7045 Old 06-25-2014, 01:13 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Theplague13's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Jersey
Posts: 1,048
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 328
5x10, as Vinnie stated it will not be as helpful to use the YouTube videos. Use the slide collection that's been uploaded to the thread numerous times. While you may see it on white and blue, gray is the best and you cannot guarantee which sub pixels are being utilized from a YouTube video as opposed to a legitimate slide. It contains all the primary colors plus numerous shades of gray. I'm still on my phone so if you can't find them I'd be glad to upload them again tomorrow. Your findings will be helpful to us all.

If I sow a wind now, I will reap a storm.

Last edited by Theplague13; 06-25-2014 at 01:19 AM.
Theplague13 is offline  
post #4514 of 7045 Old 06-25-2014, 01:40 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Playdrv4me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 1,201
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theplague13 View Post
I don't believe so, but squaretrade definitely doesn't either. I've never heard of an EW that covers physical damage incurred by the owner. If this happens your best bet is to put in a claim for something completely different and act like there is no relation to that and the physical damage, if they notice it at all.
The Microcenter one does . I thought I made a mistake getting that one for 279 since the LG one is so much cheaper, but theirs covers accidental damages and burn in as well. And of course, since it goes based on the TV price, it was also lower than it should have been.
Playdrv4me is offline  
post #4515 of 7045 Old 06-25-2014, 02:00 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Theplague13's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Jersey
Posts: 1,048
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Playdrv4me View Post
The Microcenter one does . I thought I made a mistake getting that one for 279 since the LG one is so much cheaper, but theirs covers accidental damages and burn in as well. And of course, since it goes based on the TV price, it was also lower than it should have been.
Oh wow, micro center is awesome, huh? I never even heard of them before this thread but apparently there's one about an hour away from me. That's really surprising as the best EW's are always straight from the big box stores where you purchased it, but out of the five I checked, plus squaretrade and Mack, none of them included physical damage. That warranty is worth twice the price of any other, easy. Jeez if you decide you no longer like the tv after three years you can just smash it with a bat and say "oops", and get a check for a new one.

But find out just one thing: do they reimburse you for the full value paid, or the depreciated value. Squaretrade only gives you the depreciated value, which won't be much in a few years, while PC Richards gives you the full value, that's 5 thousand dollars up to four years from now if anything goes wrong (besides physical damage).

If I sow a wind now, I will reap a storm.
Theplague13 is offline  
post #4516 of 7045 Old 06-25-2014, 03:12 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Playdrv4me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 1,201
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theplague13 View Post
Oh wow, micro center is awesome, huh? I never even heard of them before this thread but apparently there's one about an hour away from me. That's really surprising as the best EW's are always straight from the big box stores where you purchased it, but out of the five I checked, plus squaretrade and Mack, none of them included physical damage. That warranty is worth twice the price of any other, easy. Jeez if you decide you no longer like the tv after three years you can just smash it with a bat and say "oops", and get a check for a new one.

But find out just one thing: do they reimburse you for the full value paid, or the depreciated value. Squaretrade only gives you the depreciated value, which won't be much in a few years, while PC Richards gives you the full value, that's 5 thousand dollars up to four years from now if anything goes wrong (besides physical damage).
Good point, I believe it is the full value paid per the contract terms:

"LIMIT OF LIABILITY. The maximum liability owed to You under this Service Contract shall be the
cost of: the retail price paid for Your Product minus sales tax and claims paid. This Service Contract
will expire once the maximum liability (retail price You paid for the Product minus tax and shipping)
has been reached or on the expiration date of Your Service Contract."


Looks like screen replacements are limited to twice within the covered period, BUT it's confusing because those seem to be limited to 1500.00 per occurrence. So I'm thinking at the price paid for this TV, if something did happen 2 years from now, the moral of the story is you'd probably just get your purchase price back instead of a new OLED panel. And I think that's probably fair.
Playdrv4me is offline  
post #4517 of 7045 Old 06-25-2014, 03:23 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Wizziwig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: SoCal, USA
Posts: 1,374
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theplague13 View Post
Oh wow, micro center is awesome, huh? I never even heard of them before this thread but apparently there's one about an hour away from me. That's really surprising as the best EW's are always straight from the big box stores where you purchased it, but out of the five I checked, plus squaretrade and Mack, none of them included physical damage. That warranty is worth twice the price of any other, easy. Jeez if you decide you no longer like the tv after three years you can just smash it with a bat and say "oops", and get a check for a new one.

But find out just one thing: do they reimburse you for the full value paid, or the depreciated value. Squaretrade only gives you the depreciated value, which won't be much in a few years, while PC Richards gives you the full value, that's 5 thousand dollars up to four years from now if anything goes wrong (besides physical damage).
Don't believe everything the salesman tells you. They just want to sell the warranty and are not always the best informed. Read the fine print yourself. Here it is for the MC warranty:

http://c783319.r19.cf2.rackcdn.com/d...09.13State.pdf

Quote:
LIMITATIONS OF COVERAGE. This Service Contract Does Not Cover:
....
S. Television or personal computer monitor screen imperfections, including ‘burn in’ or burned CRT
phosphor, caused by video games, prolonged display of one or more signal(s), or other abuse.
All display products that are used in an application that requires continuous and/or business
operation unless additional coverage is purchased
Wizziwig is offline  
post #4518 of 7045 Old 06-25-2014, 03:27 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Playdrv4me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 1,201
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizziwig View Post
Don't believe everything the salesman tells you. They just want to sell the warranty and are not always the best informed. Read the fine print yourself. Here it is for the MC warranty:

http://c783319.r19.cf2.rackcdn.com/d...09.13State.pdf
My particular MC has always been fairly good to me and everyone I know that shops there. While I realize there are some bad ones out there (and I was really disappointed to hear that), I have no doubt that if I called or went in and explained a burn in situation after giving them the sale on the warranty, they'd make the effort to replace the TV with something equivalent or just refund the cost of the TV. In particular, the ADH and Screen Protection addendums are extra cost items that most definitely covers accidents and cracked screens, which is the bigger value item to me. And if a *broken* screen is covered but burn-in isn't... Well... I'm sure it's easy to put 2 and 2 together on that one. Now if I didn't buy the warranty and came in there asking for goodwill, I wouldn't blame them for not doing anything about it.

The only area that's a little murky is the 1500.00 limit of the "screen protection". But even if that were the case, 280.00 to get back 1220 versus ZERO without any coverage still seems worthwhile. Every warranty, on paper, has loopholes and ways for the covering insurer to weasel out of things. They wouldn't be a profit center if that weren't the case. So having that in conjunction with a store I can actually visit and people that know me, is more desirable to me than just dealing directly with a manufacturer over the phone. That's just me.

I also just discovered that this warranty is fully transferrable. I was going to cancel it if I decided not to keep it and sell it on, but it's nationwide in-home coverage (even if the new buyer has no MC nearby) and fully transferrable. So now it's working for me as a selling feature even if I don't even keep the TV.

Last edited by Playdrv4me; 06-25-2014 at 04:36 AM.
Playdrv4me is offline  
post #4519 of 7045 Old 06-25-2014, 05:34 AM
Advanced Member
 
5x10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 888
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theplague13 View Post
5x10, as Vinnie stated it will not be as helpful to use the YouTube videos. Use the slide collection that's been uploaded to the thread numerous times. While you may see it on white and blue, gray is the best and you cannot guarantee which sub pixels are being utilized from a YouTube video as opposed to a legitimate slide. It contains all the primary colors plus numerous shades of gray. I'm still on my phone so if you can't find them I'd be glad to upload them again tomorrow. Your findings will be helpful to us all.
Ok, I'll run the slides afterwards
Here's a question? What if the only color I see it on is gray? Would you consider that burn in? In the past, burn in/ir has been really apparent on lighter(white) screens.
5x10 is offline  
post #4520 of 7045 Old 06-25-2014, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Theplague13's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Jersey
Posts: 1,048
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 328
If it only shows up on gray, particularly dark gray, then I wouldn't worry about it, but it's helpful to know so you can combat it. It just means that it's beginning, and you should probably watch full screen content for a while to try and negate it before it "spills" over. I don't want this to be construed as making you look for issues where you aren't having any; it's of course totally optional. It's simply informative for those who would like to know, and we're appreciative of any helpful input.

About the warranty that is some serious fine print, but playdrive has a good point which I think is why warranties work better from a physical location: you can physically go there. Pc Richards warranty states that burn in isn't covered, but when I incurred it on my first panel they told me they'd replace it if LG couldn't (though they were out of stock and waiting on more which was taking some time). They explained to me that EW's are pure profit for them as the manufacturers refund any repairs they have to make, or sets they have to replace; which is why they're lenient with it.
Playdrv4me likes this.

If I sow a wind now, I will reap a storm.

Last edited by Theplague13; 06-25-2014 at 07:24 AM.
Theplague13 is offline  
post #4521 of 7045 Old 06-25-2014, 07:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Foxbat121's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: VA
Posts: 10,096
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 256
Micro Center is the reason that I no longer purchase anything from BB or online for my computer related hardware. It is a fantastic store and the only local store I regularly visit. If you like to build your own PCs like I do, MC often offers better deals than online stores like Newegg and has a fantastic return policy. I sincerely hope it can stay in business forever.


Now back on to the topic. I found a lot of the features on the TV itself are offered by an app, or at least they show up in the app list. So, if you are inside an app, you can't call out those features that are in another app, only system wide features. So, for example, I'm experimenting with ARC to route Netflix audio to my AVR with HDMI ARC (BTW, the Netflix app UI is the best I have ever seen). There is this little problem with ARC in general in most of today's TVs: you have to enable HDMI CEC or SimpleLink in LG's term in order to get ARC. But once you enabled it, next time you power up the TV, it will automatically switch your AVR to TV input. That's fine if all you do is watching contents using TV's apps. But if you like to use other sources like BD player or cable box from AVR, it will render that useless until you manually switch back to the correct AVR input afterwards. So, the solution for me is to disable SimpleLink until I need to watch Netflix. There is an IR command for it (SimpleLink) to bring out the SimpleLink menu to turn it on or off. But the trouble is, it is an app. So I can't call it out inside another app like Netflix. So, you have to do it before you enter the app. Kind of annoying.


I like the Netflix app UI and the speed it loads up. Much faster than my BD player. The only downside is that it only streams DD 5.1 audio, not DD+ 5.1 audio.
Foxbat121 is offline  
post #4522 of 7045 Old 06-25-2014, 08:02 AM
Advanced Member
 
5x10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 888
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked: 297
That's good to hear about micro center
I ended up buying their extended warranty, with accidental screen breakage protection
Only issue is, it's about 50 minutes away and all work is done at the store
I too also like the quick speed of the apps/computer, much better than my 2011 and 2012 panny plasmas
Vegas oled likes this.
5x10 is offline  
post #4523 of 7045 Old 06-25-2014, 08:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Ken Ross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: N.Y.
Posts: 24,933
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1606 Post(s)
Liked: 1697
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theplague13 View Post
Also Ken is a new owner who seems to be experiencing traces of IR already.
Not this Ken, some other Ken?

I am in the exploration phase for a potential purchase of the 77" OLED. So at this point I'm 'window shopping' with you guys, determining the pluses & minuses.
Ken Ross is offline  
post #4524 of 7045 Old 06-25-2014, 08:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Ken Ross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: N.Y.
Posts: 24,933
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1606 Post(s)
Liked: 1697
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post
He can correct me if I'm wrong (I was gone for a few days), but I don't think Ken has a 9800 actually, Plague. Just investigating 1st gen issues with the possible idea of eventually grabbing the 77" after it debuts.
Mr. V nailed it.
Ken Ross is offline  
post #4525 of 7045 Old 06-25-2014, 08:55 AM
Member
 
aaronwalker1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 146
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 30
No IR on my set. Mfg date is Feb of this year. I played 4 hours of Forza last night that has a static hud on the screen. I ran some slides this morning and no IR.
vaktmestern likes this.
aaronwalker1974 is offline  
post #4526 of 7045 Old 06-25-2014, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Theplague13's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Jersey
Posts: 1,048
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post
Micro Center is the reason that I no longer purchase anything from BB or online for my computer related hardware. It is a fantastic store and the only local store I regularly visit. If you like to build your own PCs like I do, MC often offers better deals than online stores like Newegg and has a fantastic return policy. I sincerely hope it can stay in business forever.


Now back on to the topic. I found a lot of the features on the TV itself are offered by an app, or at least they show up in the app list. So, if you are inside an app, you can't call out those features that are in another app, only system wide features. So, for example, I'm experimenting with ARC to route Netflix audio to my AVR with HDMI ARC (BTW, the Netflix app UI is the best I have ever seen). There is this little problem with ARC in general in most of today's TVs: you have to enable HDMI CEC or SimpleLink in LG's term in order to get ARC. But once you enabled it, next time you power up the TV, it will automatically switch your AVR to TV input. That's fine if all you do is watching contents using TV's apps. But if you like to use other sources like BD player or cable box from AVR, it will render that useless until you manually switch back to the correct AVR input afterwards. So, the solution for me is to disable SimpleLink until I need to watch Netflix. There is an IR command for it (SimpleLink) to bring out the SimpleLink menu to turn it on or off. But the trouble is, it is an app. So I can't call it out inside another app like Netflix. So, you have to do it before you enter the app. Kind of annoying.


I like the Netflix app UI and the speed it loads up. Much faster than my BD player. The only downside is that it only streams DD 5.1 audio, not DD+ 5.1 audio.
Yeah I like the smart UI, and even though I don't truly need it I'd like to use it from time to time . But I cannot get ARC to work. Before anyone mentions my Darbee, my receiver has two hdmi outputs, and they both run to the same tv. One has the darbee equipped while the other doesn't, for easy toggling. So there is always one plain hdmi, and they're all compatible with arc. I dont get it, and I've used it on my receiver before (albeit it's been a ling time).

If I sow a wind now, I will reap a storm.
Theplague13 is offline  
post #4527 of 7045 Old 06-25-2014, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Theplague13's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Jersey
Posts: 1,048
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwalker1974 View Post
No IR on my set. Mfg date is Feb of this year. I played 4 hours of Forza last night that has a static hud on the screen. I ran some slides this morning and no IR.
Thank you. I've noticed and reported as well that static hud's are not causing any IR, after three months of playing video games on it. This is reassuring .

The problem, however, is coming from aspect ratios. Letterbox and pillarbox bars are the only things which seem to be causing it for those who have reported it.

If I sow a wind now, I will reap a storm.

Last edited by Theplague13; 06-25-2014 at 09:20 AM.
Theplague13 is offline  
post #4528 of 7045 Old 06-25-2014, 09:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Foxbat121's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: VA
Posts: 10,096
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theplague13 View Post
Yeah I like the smart UI, and even though I don't truly need it I'd like to use it from time to time . But I cannot get ARC to work. Before anyone mentions my Darbee, my receiver has two hdmi outputs, and they both run to the same tv. One has the darbee equipped while the other doesn't, for easy toggling. So there is always one plain hdmi, and they're all compatible with arc. I dont get it, and I've used it on my receiver before (albeit it's been a ling time).

Only the HMDI1 on the TV supports ARC. On my receiver, I must enable HDMI CEC control to let TV control the receiver inputs as well as power on/off status. The TV is too smart that when you turn on ARC and switch to external speakers, it will test if your connected device (AVR) supports ARC and CEC control. If not, it will revert back to internal speaker.

Here is what I typically do to enable ARC:
1. Make sure HDMI CEC control is turned on on AVR (I leave it on)
2. Bring out SimpleLink app on TV and turn on SimpleLink.
3. On the same SimpleLink screen, switch audio output to External speakers. Your receiver will be automatically switched on if it is not on and switched to TV input automatically. If all this work properly, the setting will stick. Otherwise, it will flip back to internal speaker.

The crazy part is that you must let the TV to switch the AVR to TV input. You can't do it manually. My AVR let me turn ARC, CEC and CEC control on or off individually. When I turned off CEC control and manually switch the AVR to TV input, it won't work because the TV tested to see my AVR won't allow it to switch inputs and refuse to output the audio via ARC.
maxBR and Theplague13 like this.
Foxbat121 is offline  
post #4529 of 7045 Old 06-25-2014, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Theplague13's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Jersey
Posts: 1,048
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post
Only the HMDI1 on the TV supports ARC. On my receiver, I must enable HDMI CEC control to let TV control the receiver inputs as well as power on/off status. The TV is too smart that when you turn on ARC and switch to external speakers, it will test if your connected device (AVR) supports ARC and CEC control. If not, it will revert back to internal speaker.

Here is what I typically do to enable ARC:
1. Make sure HDMI CEC control is turned on on AVR (I leave it on)
2. Bring out SimpleLink app on TV and turn on SimpleLink.
3. On the same SimpleLink screen, switch audio output to External speakers. Your receiver will be automatically switched on if it is not on and switched to TV input automatically. If all this work properly, the setting will stick. Otherwise, it will flip back to internal speaker.

The crazy part is that you must let the TV to switch the AVR to TV input. You can't do it manually. My AVR let me turn ARC, CEC and CEC control on or off individually. When I turned off CEC control and manually switch the AVR to TV input, it won't work because the TV tested to see my AVR won't allow it to switch inputs and refuse to output the audio via ARC.
Wow, thank you! Awesome reply. I had no idea ARC would be restricted to hdmi 1 that may very well be the problem, I believe I have the darbee on 1 (which disallows arc) and the plain HDMI on 2. I'll let you know what happens. I have also never used simple link. You know what? I've actually never employed any of this advice! I guess I just never realized what a delicate and fragile thing ARC was.

If I sow a wind now, I will reap a storm.

Last edited by Theplague13; 06-25-2014 at 09:46 AM.
Theplague13 is offline  
post #4530 of 7045 Old 06-25-2014, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Vegas oled's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 1,881
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1018 Post(s)
Liked: 709
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theplague13 View Post
Wow, thank you! Awesome reply. I had no idea ARC would be restricted to hdmi 1 that may very well be the problem, I believe I have the darbee on 1 (which disallows arc) and the plain HDMI on 2. I'll let you know what happens. I have also never used simple link. I never really realized what a delicate and fragile thing ARC was.
What is your opinion of the Darbee with this TV, is it worth it?
Vegas oled is offline  
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
Lg 55ea9800 Oled Hdtv , Lg
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off