LG 55EA9800 55" OLED Owner's thread - Page 172 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #5131 of 6448 Old 07-26-2014, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked: 549
If you view the set from further back does the yellow edge fade?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5132 of 6448 Old 07-26-2014, 01:43 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
If you view the set from further back does the yellow edge fade?
It appears to,
3-4ft from screen

Aprox 8-10ft
post #5133 of 6448 Old 07-26-2014, 02:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1007 Post(s)
Liked: 1090
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas oled View Post
Although no panel is the same with LG there is not one LG OLED that would not blow the pants off any led, even 4k in picture quality. The led sets have been out for over a decade and the panel lottery continues with it also.
Just read the 900B and 950B pages or any other manufacture
Not what you were saying a short 1-2 weeks ago. Your hyperbole is ramping up. Just sayin.
post #5134 of 6448 Old 07-26-2014, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 588
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post
Sure, of course; that's what I'm saying. In the LG case, my guessing for the yellow off-axis tint would go as follows: If you look at how the OLED "sheets" are set up, it conceivable to me that the bottom (blue) layer can leak electrons laterally if the bottom anode or very top cathode (or vice versa) of the neighboring subs contain residual charge (which they might have to). This would cause the single blue to excite excess yellow layers by scattering electrons diagonally in a way that's only visible when looking at it "laterally". Huge guess upon guess, but not having seen the effect myself it's the best I got.

BTW, I think "push" might be the wrong word here for excess yellow emission, but I'm not sure. I've seen a calibrator or two point out that push is more complicated than mere color shifts and bias.

If the blue OLED layer is on the bottom (and further away from the color filters than the yellow OLED layer), there are a couple easy ways to explain a mild off-angle yellow push (or 'blue pull' or whatever it should be called). But I'm pretty sure the references that haves surfaced on the Kodak WOLED technology suggest that the blue OLED layer is on top of the yellow OLED layer, in which case it becomes a bit less straightforward to explain why there should be less blue light emitting off-angle...

But from all reports, this seems to be a very minor issue (though it did cause Chad to ding the EA9800 for a couple points in the 'angle' column, giving the EA9800 a '5' compared to the maximum score of '7' that he awarded to the Panasonic VT/ZT60 and the Pioneer Kuro. By way of comparison, the LG LX6500 also got a score of '5' for angle and has the highest score in this column of any LCD (though there are several LCDs scoring a '4' for angle, the Sharp 700UN being the only non-LG (IPS) among them. The Sharp Elite and Sony X950B both received a '1' for angle (the lowest score given, though there are many LCDs with that same score).

Last edited by fafrd; 07-26-2014 at 04:16 PM. Reason: typo
post #5135 of 6448 Old 07-26-2014, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked: 575
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
Not what you were saying a short 1-2 weeks ago. Your hyperbole is ramping up. Just sayin.
It's just a fact. As far as 4k I like the 900B but the OLED are much better. I am with OLED because I in the end j chose picture quality over size
post #5136 of 6448 Old 07-26-2014, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post

But from all reports, this seems to be a very minor issue (though it did cause Chad to ding the EA9800 for a couple points in the 'angle' column, giving the EA9800 a '5' compared to the maximum score of '7' that he awarded to the Panasonic VT/ZT60 and the Pioneer Kuro. By way of comparison, the LG LX6500 also got a score of '5' for angle and has the highest score in this column of any LCD (though there are several LCDs scoring a '4' for angle, the Sharp 700UN being the only non-LG (IPS) among them. The Sharp Elite and Sony X950B bother received a '1' for angle (the lowest score given, though there are many LCDs with that same score).
Chad dinged it as he should it's not perfect , yet it still is his best rated display, much higher than any 4K set. The other LCD sets with lower scores almost disappear from the sides.
post #5137 of 6448 Old 07-26-2014, 05:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5x10 View Post
It appears to...
It's probably a viewing angle artifact then. When you're close to the set you have a more acute angle to the edges of the set than from a distance.
5x10 likes this.
post #5138 of 6448 Old 07-26-2014, 05:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post
I've been wondering for a while now if this isn't related to the single sheet of OLED material (per OLED layer) that LG employs. I can conceive of a kind of emission scatter that emits through these layers at odd angles.

I wonder if the Samsung RGB standard stripe OLEDs have this. FWIW, AFAICT my Samsung Galaxy Note II OLED does not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post
In the case of the Samsung OLED technology, different OLED layers for red-alone, green-alone, and blue-alone are deposited right at the outermost layer (the position of the color filters on an LCD).So the light generated is always chromatically pure and emitted right from the surface of the image plane. I would suspect that this would offer the best off-axis performance and you are confirming it for your Galaxy Note II OLED.

I can't speak for Samsung phones but their OLED TV viewing angles were not perfect either. I tested the set extensively about a year ago and commented on the green/blue tint on off-angle grayscale.
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-fla...l#post23685261

Rest of my review was a few posts earlier in that thread. The Sony OLED broadcast monitors also exhibit off-angle color shift. Seems only Plasma and CRT TVs had perfect view angles.
tgm1024 likes this.
post #5139 of 6448 Old 07-26-2014, 05:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
It's probably a viewing angle artifact then. When you're close to the set you have a more acute angle to the edges of the set than from a distance.
Sounds like a good reason not to have curved screens on oleds

I wonder why the right hand side isn't showing the same thing

Last edited by 5x10; 07-26-2014 at 05:40 PM.
post #5140 of 6448 Old 07-26-2014, 06:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Because you're on the opposite side. Try looking at the right side of the screen from the right instead of from the left.
post #5141 of 6448 Old 07-26-2014, 06:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Because you're on the opposite side. Try looking at the right side of the screen from the right instead of from the left.
I tried to be as centered as possible when taking those pics
Also, 2 other members report the left side only

Last edited by 5x10; 07-26-2014 at 06:46 PM.
post #5142 of 6448 Old 07-26-2014, 08:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

As picky as I am I would never have found this and it does not cause me any issues. Flat OLED panels have been available for 2 months and I have yet to see anyone report on purchasing one on this site. I can tell you one thing is no display has had people try and tear it apart as much as the LG OLED. No LCD could pass the scrutiny the OLED owners have put it through and yet very few owners have returned theirs.

For months it was IR and Burn in and now this being the most ridiculous thing yet. Try living with a $8k 950B that was just ripped apart in a review for DSE and banding and you would run back to your oled's
post #5143 of 6448 Old 07-26-2014, 08:42 PM
Advanced Member

I hear ya, I'm not trying to complain, I'm just trying to make sure my set isn't experiencing a yellow tint that impacts content
If it stays as is, I'm more than happy with this set
It's the progression I'm worried about

And other than random tv reboots, I've had to look for everything wrong with this set, not something I can saw about my plasmas and lcds(which I can see on content)
I love this tv

Does your tv also show the yellow tint?
On another forum, Vinnie reported his as showing it as well
post #5144 of 6448 Old 07-26-2014, 08:45 PM
AVS Special Member

I have not had a reboot in a while, I think the last update may have addressed it.
post #5145 of 6448 Old 07-26-2014, 08:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I have not had a reboot in a while, I think the last update may have addressed it.
I haven't had it in a while either
Vegas oled likes this.
post #5146 of 6448 Old 07-26-2014, 09:18 PM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
As picky as I am I would never have found this and it does not cause me any issues. Flat OLED panels have been available for 2 months and I have yet to see anyone report on purchasing one on this site. I can tell you one thing is no display has had people try and tear it apart as much as the LG OLED. No LCD could pass the scrutiny the OLED owners have put it through and yet very few owners have returned theirs.

For months it was IR and Burn in and now this being the most ridiculous thing yet. Try living with a $8k 950B that was just ripped apart in a review for DSE and banding and you would run back to your oled's
I have the flat OLED, have had it since it came out I never reported my problems on the forum because I had got busy with work and had not got the opportunity to post any new pics or discuss the issues the set had. The first issue was my set also would reboot itself suddenly this however only happened twice I quickly called LG and they changed out the power supply and also the main board after the new parts were installed the problem stopped. I had an issue with the display as well it had looked like the pixels may have been wearing uneven because when the screen would go fully black it had a large patch that was not totally black so again I called LG and two days later they replaced the whole panel and I have had no problems with the panel since. The good thing about this is LG customer service has been really good at servicing my unit since day one and outside of my samsung OLED I have never owned a TV that has matched my OLED's and there is no turning back. LONG LIVE OLED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	OLED.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	161.5 KB
ID:	181970   Click image for larger version

Name:	OLED2.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	162.1 KB
ID:	181978  
Barrybud, 5x10, tubby497 and 1 others like this.

Last edited by bigcoupe2003; 07-26-2014 at 09:26 PM.
post #5147 of 6448 Old 07-26-2014, 09:27 PM
AVS Special Member

I am not sure if I have this yellow issue and not going to try and find it. My thing is if I don't see it in content it's not important. Only one OLED had the issue of uneven color temp on grey scale that I could see in content so I exchanged it.

I have never had IR or burn in I just watch the TV. I think some people purchased at such a good (low) price they feel there must be something wrong with their OLED's. Just be happy for the great deal, this gives you more money to put aside for the 4K OLED's.

Last edited by Vegas oled; 07-26-2014 at 09:31 PM.
post #5148 of 6448 Old 07-26-2014, 09:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcoupe2003 View Post
I have the flat OLED, have had it since it came out I never reported my problems on the forum because I had got busy with work and had not got the opportunity to post any new pics or discuss the issues the set had. The first issue was my set also would reboot itself suddenly this however only happened twice I quickly called LG and they changed out the power supply and also the main board after the new parts were installed the problem stopped. I had an issue with the display as well it had looked like the pixels may have been wearing uneven because when the screen would go fully black it had a large patch that was not totally black so again I called LG and two days later they replaced the whole panel and I have had no problems with the panel since. The good thing about this is LG customer service has been really good at servicing my unit since day one and outside of my samsung OLED I have never owned a TV that has matched my OLED's and there is no turning back. LONG LIVE OLED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am surprised they just did not send you a new unit.
post #5149 of 6448 Old 07-26-2014, 09:50 PM

Quote:
I am surprised they just did not send you a new unit.
essentially they did give me a brand new unit when they take the OLED apart there are three main pieces the panel, power supply and main board. The first time they came over they brought a brand new power supply and main board and changed those out but at this time nothing was wrong with the panel. A few weeks later I was having issues with the panel and two days after my call they brought a brand new panel and just changed the other one out. So the set is brand new just came at different times for the parts.
Vegas oled likes this.
post #5150 of 6448 Old 07-27-2014, 04:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Quote:

Does your screen have the uniformity issues with the yellow and pink hues as noted with the curved screens? I was wondering if the sheer idiocy pf curving the OLED material is the cause of this.
post #5151 of 6448 Old 07-27-2014, 07:38 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Thumbs up

Quote:
Same here no more restarts. I will post if it occurs again.
post #5152 of 6448 Old 07-27-2014, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWhip View Post
Does your screen have the uniformity issues with the yellow and pink hues as noted with the curved screens? I was wondering if the sheer idiocy pf curving the OLED material is the cause of this.
My screen has no uniformity issues
post #5153 of 6448 Old 07-27-2014, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Including no streaks/spots on dark near-black grays that others have reported?
post #5154 of 6448 Old 07-27-2014, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizziwig View Post
Including no streaks/spots on dark near-black grays that others have reported?
no streaks, spots, or near black grays everything is uniform and the blacks are stunning they are absolute black
post #5155 of 6448 Old 07-27-2014, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Quote:
Then maybe the problem is the curve?
post #5156 of 6448 Old 07-27-2014, 08:56 PM

I don't think the curve is the problem, LG just has issues that need to be ironed out with the tech but they will get it fixed
post #5157 of 6448 Old 07-27-2014, 11:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I don't think the curve is the problem, LG just has issues that need to be ironed out with the tech but they will get it fixed
I'm not so sure. I have not seen anyone with the curved model making claims of perfect dark gray uniformity. Most people report seeing something closer to this:

http://hdguru.com/lg-55ea9800-oled-hdtv-reviewed/
http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/55ea9...1312083487.htm

Any chance you could take some pictures of 5% gray field pattern?
post #5158 of 6448 Old 07-28-2014, 12:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizziwig View Post
I'm not so sure. I have not seen anyone with the curved model making claims of perfect dark gray uniformity. Most people report seeing something closer to this:

http://hdguru.com/lg-55ea9800-oled-hdtv-reviewed/
http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/55ea9...1312083487.htm

Any chance you could take some pictures of 5% gray field pattern?
The key is (as both reviews stated) it was not visible with any content. OLED is a different technology so you cannot apply something from LCD across to it as a grey scale like this would be very visible with content on a LCD.
Barrybud likes this.
post #5159 of 6448 Old 07-28-2014, 06:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked: 587
Quote:
Chad dinged it as he should it's not perfect , yet it still is his best rated display, much higher than any 4K set. The other LCD sets with lower scores almost disappear from the sides.
No set is perfect, but the LG OLED is about as perfect as it gets......for now.

Hard to believe LG is the leader in this technology so fast. If no competitor comes out with an OLED in the next year from now, it will be hard to compete with LG as they will have such a grip on this technology.

Forum Sponsor // \\
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1-866-651-0049 // \\
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

/
/

/

/
post #5160 of 6448 Old 07-28-2014, 07:04 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Curious to know if anyone has tried these settings? Thoughts?

http://www.avforums.com/threads/lg-e...tings.1859306/
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
Lg 55ea9800 Oled Hdtv , Lg
Gear in this thread - 55ea9800 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page