LG 55EA9800 55" OLED Owner's thread - Page 173 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #5161 of 6757 Old 07-28-2014, 09:46 AM
Member
 
markjl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Panora, Iowa
Posts: 131
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Is anyone using a sound bar with this TV? I am assuming the optical out is PCM 2.0. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks
markjl is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #5162 of 6757 Old 07-28-2014, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Vegas oled's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 1,826
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked: 672
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWhip View Post
It may not be viewable with content (at least for now). However, it shouldn't be there in the first place. If it is induced by the process of bending the panel into the curve, what other type of stresses are being introduced that could become more evident over time?
You have zero evidence it has anything to do with the curved panel and you make lots of assumption. Every review states OLED is superior, the negative attacks do not change it. With every negative you can imagine might happen, OLED blows away every LCD panel ever made, period.
Vegas oled is offline  
post #5163 of 6757 Old 07-28-2014, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Vegas oled's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 1,826
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked: 672
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjl View Post
Is anyone using a sound bar with this TV? I am assuming the optical out is PCM 2.0. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks
I tried a few and some costing a lot more but settled with the Energy sound bar at $499. It is excellent and leaves you some cash to purchase good learning remote which you will want to control everything.
Vegas oled is offline  
post #5164 of 6757 Old 07-28-2014, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Vegas oled's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 1,826
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked: 672
Really tired of people making up BS to attack the OLED display, now making bogus claims of things getting worse over time. Just keep your LCD and know that OLED owners are enjoying a far superior display than you.

My OLED will smoke any current 4K LCD made, yes it will make it look like the obsolete edge lit LCD it is.

4K OLED weeks away, now we will see cutting edge technologies merge to a 4K set worth purchasing.

Last edited by Vegas oled; 07-28-2014 at 10:10 AM.
Vegas oled is offline  
post #5165 of 6757 Old 07-28-2014, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member
 
JWhip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Wayne, PA
Posts: 4,221
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas oled View Post
You have zero evidence it has anything to do with the curved panel and you make lots of assumption. Every review states OLED is superior, the negative attacks do not change it. With every negative you can imagine might happen, OLED blows away every LCD panel ever made, period.

Get a grip there Vegas, this is not life and death. No one is attacking you for having an OLED. IT IS JUST A TV!!!!! I am very interested in OLED. I have seen them all. I like the potential. I would one day love to own one. However, I will not buy a curved one. The one poster on AVS who has the flat OLED says he does not have any screen uniformity issues. I saw the flat OLED in London last summer and on a white field, saw no uniformity issues either. All the curved ones seem to have it. Therefore, it is reasonable to ask if the curve is the problem. Maybe it is the electronics or poor QC, whatever it is, IT SHOULDN'T BE THERE! Yes, OLED has a great picture. Better than LCD, with that I wouldn't argue. However, that being said, there are far too many issues with it for me to consider one at this time. If I didn't have a 141, maybe I would think about it. But, NEVER with a curve and only 55 inches. If LG comes out with a flat 65" 4K that supports all the 4 K specs, let me know.
Ken Ross, Stereodude and fafrd like this.
JWhip is online now  
post #5166 of 6757 Old 07-28-2014, 10:13 AM
Member
 
markjl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Panora, Iowa
Posts: 131
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas oled View Post
I tried a few and some costing a lot more but settled with the Energy sound bar at $499. It is excellent and leaves you some cash to purchase good learning remote which you will want to control everything.
Thanks, Vegas oled. I assume that is the Energy Power Bar Elite. Amazon has a pretty good price on that one. Did you hook the sound bar up to the optical out on the TV or go direct from the source?
markjl is offline  
post #5167 of 6757 Old 07-28-2014, 10:17 AM
Senior Member
 
Yappadappadu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Hamburg/Germany
Posts: 220
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas oled View Post
Really tired of people making up BS to attack the OLED display, now making bogus claims of things getting worse over time. Just keep your LCD and know that OLED owners are enjoying a far superior display than you.

My OLED will smoke any current 4K LCD made, yes it will make it look like the obsolete edge lit LCD it is.

4K OLED weeks away, now we will see cutting edge technologies merge to a 4K set worth purchasing.
You're really overreacting. Not for the first time. I doubt that anyone here is trying to belittle the current OLED sets just to make himself feel better for having a LED TV.
I am still very interested in buying the 65EC9700, but like to read whatever problems possibly might exist.
Yappadappadu is offline  
post #5168 of 6757 Old 07-28-2014, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Vegas oled's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 1,826
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked: 672
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjl View Post
Thanks, Vegas oled. I assume that is the Energy Power Bar Elite. Amazon has a pretty good price on that one. Did you hook the sound bar up to the optical out on the TV or go direct from the source?
Yes and it sound great. You will want a learning remote as the one that comes with it is a small cheaply. I tried the Martin Logan and B&W, I felt they overdid the bass tying to do it all without a sub, the Energy is nicer sounding to me.

The one thing I do miss about the 900B is the speakers. The sound bar really helped fill that sound void.
Vegas oled is offline  
post #5169 of 6757 Old 07-28-2014, 10:22 AM
Member
 
markjl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Panora, Iowa
Posts: 131
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas oled View Post
Yes and it sound great. You will want a learning remote as the one that comes with it is a small cheaply. I tried the Martin Logan and B&W, I felt they overdid the bass tying to do it all without a sub, the Energy is nicer sounding to me.

The one thing I do miss about the 900B is the speakers. The sound bar really helped fill that sound void.
Thanks again. Hate to keep bugging you, but what learning remote did you go with?
markjl is offline  
post #5170 of 6757 Old 07-28-2014, 10:48 AM
Advanced Member
 
5x10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 820
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked: 265
i think its fair to question if the curve causes uniformity issues since curved owners here are seeing some and the flat are not

vak, a curved owner, reports no yellowing on the left hand side, so there might be some case to case issues that come up
another flat owner at avforums reports no uniformity issues

mine has a slight yellow tint on the left hand side during a white screen and slightly darker grays on the right hand side during a gray slide
but, i havent seen either during content(not saying its not there, but VERY hard to see during content,even when i look for it)
and im coming from being able to see a logo burn in on everything, on my plasma, where my wife has a hard time seeing it
5x10 is offline  
post #5171 of 6757 Old 07-28-2014, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member
 
tgm1024's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 6,621
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked: 877
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas oled View Post
Really tired of people making up BS to attack the OLED display, now making bogus claims of things getting worse over time. Just keep your LCD and know that OLED owners are enjoying a far superior display than you.

My OLED will smoke any current 4K LCD made, yes it will make it look like the obsolete edge lit LCD it is.

4K OLED weeks away, now we will see cutting edge technologies merge to a 4K set worth purchasing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yappadappadu View Post
You're really overreacting. Not for the first time. I doubt that anyone here is trying to belittle the current OLED sets just to make himself feel better for having a LED TV.
I am still very interested in buying the 65EC9700, but like to read whatever problems possibly might exist.
Yep. I can't for the life of me understand anyone trying to emotionally defend a chunk of technology and taking any negative comment or detracting speculation about it as some personal affront. Really, this kind of "stop picking on my TV" business doesn't belong here.
Ken Ross, Stereodude and fafrd like this.

Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent. Unless, of course, it's to keep someone from creating a phone video in portrait mode, in which case it's a pretty good first step. Portrait mooks: KNOCK IT OFF.
tgm1024 is online now  
post #5172 of 6757 Old 07-28-2014, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Foxbat121's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: VA
Posts: 9,996
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5x10 View Post
i think its fair to question if the curve causes uniformity issues since curved owners here are seeing some and the flat are not
I'd take these reports with a grain of salt. To spot the so-called uniformity issue, one has to view it in a dark room using the dark gray images. I can't spot any such issue with mine until I did it this way. Viewing in my normal viewing lighting, there isn't any uniformity issue.
Foxbat121 is online now  
post #5173 of 6757 Old 07-28-2014, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Vegas oled's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 1,826
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked: 672
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post
Yep. I can't for the life of me understand anyone trying to emotionally defend a chunk of technology and taking any negative comment or detracting speculation about it as some personal affront. Really, this kind of "stop picking on my TV" business doesn't belong here.
Let's talk about facts, not assumptions. The experts believe the grey scale issue is caused by thin panels, I don't know. Most people don't know it is there because you cannot see it WO a slide. I would bet it is on the flat panel and the owner does not know it. Why asked the guy to run a slide and start nit- picking his tv on an issue he does not see?

My guess is the new sets will not have it with the 10bit panels. Very interested to find out. It's the way some people post their question, it tells you a lot.

What I hate to see us someone not purchase an OLED because someone made up stuff or assumed something .

There are issues with any display. The stupid stuff you see here with people taking photos of white screens at an angle to see some edge color that will never effect content is absurd.

Like the review stated on the newest OLED, any negatives about OLED picture quality are only going to be from nit pickers

Last edited by Vegas oled; 07-28-2014 at 11:16 AM.
Vegas oled is offline  
post #5174 of 6757 Old 07-28-2014, 11:17 AM
Advanced Member
 
5x10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 820
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post
I'd take these reports with a grain of salt. To spot the so-called uniformity issue, one has to view it in a dark room using the dark gray images. I can't spot any such issue with mine until I did it this way. Viewing in my normal viewing lighting, there isn't any uniformity issue.
well, one guy that reports 0 is also a calibrator, so im assuming he has the knowledge to know what it is and where to look for it
5x10 is offline  
post #5175 of 6757 Old 07-28-2014, 11:23 AM
Advanced Member
 
5x10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 820
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas oled View Post
There are issues with any display. The stupid stuff you see here with people taking photos of white screens at an angle to see some edge color that will never effect content is absurd.
to be fair, i have a bit of yellow tint viewing it from head on, but, it still takes a slide to see it
i do dread the one day, where i see it on content, but havent seen it yet

i do lol when Ken ross comes in a thread and says " oh wow, lg states only 1 hour at a time to prevent burn in. what a shame" when he fails to see that LG also says the 1 hour about plasma and 2 hours for lcd
i do wonder if there are alterior motives for posting something like that, considering that ken seems pretty up to speed on tv tech
5x10 is offline  
post #5176 of 6757 Old 07-28-2014, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member
 
tgm1024's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 6,621
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked: 877
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas oled View Post
What I hate to see us someone not purchase an OLED because someone made up stuff or assumed something .

There are issues with any display. The stupid stuff you see here with people taking photos of white screens at an angle to see some edge color that will never effect content is absurd.
No it isn't. I would WANT to know how this display performs in every way before buying it.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas oled View Post
Like the review stated on the newest OLED, any negatives about OLED picture quality are only going to be from nit pickers
Then try this: let the nit pickers talk to those that want nit picking advice. It's that simple. Stop with the notion that people are somehow being unfair to a TV. I see absolutely nothing wrong with talking about yellow tint, or gray levels, or anything else related to this TV whether it's positive or negative, nitpicking or not!

Good grief, it's a chunk of hardware that we all want to know as much about as possible.
fafrd likes this.

Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent. Unless, of course, it's to keep someone from creating a phone video in portrait mode, in which case it's a pretty good first step. Portrait mooks: KNOCK IT OFF.
tgm1024 is online now  
post #5177 of 6757 Old 07-28-2014, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member
 
tgm1024's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 6,621
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked: 877
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5x10 View Post
i do lol when Ken ross comes in a thread and says " oh wow, lg states only 1 hour at a time to prevent burn in. what a shame" when he fails to see that LG also says the 1 hour about plasma and 2 hours for lcd
LG says to not watch more than 2 hours at a time for LCD???????? Where???????

Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent. Unless, of course, it's to keep someone from creating a phone video in portrait mode, in which case it's a pretty good first step. Portrait mooks: KNOCK IT OFF.
tgm1024 is online now  
post #5178 of 6757 Old 07-28-2014, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Vegas oled's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 1,826
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked: 672
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post
No it isn't. I would WANT to know how this display performs in every way before buying it.




Then try this: let the nit pickers talk to those that want nit picking advice. It's that simple. Stop with the notion that people are somehow being unfair to a TV. I see absolutely nothing wrong with talking about yellow tint, or gray levels, or anything else related to this TV whether it's positive or negative, nitpicking or not!

Good grief, it's a chunk of hardware that we all want to know as much about as possible.
This Is a fact, if you don't own one, you don't own the best performing display made. It will destroy any
LCD and make anyone's plasmas blacks look grey.

Keep not-picking, I will keep enjoying truly next-gen technology, OLED the future is hear now and any other display is old technology.

Last edited by Vegas oled; 07-28-2014 at 12:06 PM.
Vegas oled is offline  
post #5179 of 6757 Old 07-28-2014, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Vegas oled's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 1,826
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked: 672
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post
LG says to not watch more than 2 hours at a time for LCD???????? Where???????
Act like it's an OLED your trying to find negative about and you will find it, lol
Vegas oled is offline  
post #5180 of 6757 Old 07-28-2014, 11:59 AM
Advanced Member
 
5x10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 820
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post
LG says to not watch more than 2 hours at a time for LCD???????? Where???????
go pull up the manual on any lcd tv off of LG's website, its printed on one of the first few pages
i did it last week and it says 2 hours for lcd and 1 hour for plasma

for example, click link, then open the pdf of the manual
http://www.lg.com/us/support-product/lg-55UB8500

pg 5, on the right hand side, states




Avoid displaying a fixed image on the TV

screen for a long period of time (2 or more

hours for LCD, 1 or more hours for the

Plasma TV) to prevent image burn.
5x10 is offline  
post #5181 of 6757 Old 07-28-2014, 11:59 AM
Senior Member
 
Yappadappadu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Hamburg/Germany
Posts: 220
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 67
@vegas : Maybe take a deep breath?
@tgm : He's talking about the burn in warning in every LG manual. We've been there several times already.
Yappadappadu is offline  
post #5182 of 6757 Old 07-28-2014, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Vegas oled's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 1,826
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked: 672
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yappadappadu View Post
@vegas : Maybe take a deep breath?
@tgm : He's talking about the burn in warning in every LG manual. We've been there several times already.
I know what's he's talking about, he almost had a heart attack when someone mentioned something about LCD. The haters will keep bashing as the smart people are coming aboard the OLED train. We have also been through the 10ire grey scale issue that the same few keep rehashing every couple weeks.
Vegas oled is offline  
post #5183 of 6757 Old 07-28-2014, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member
 
tgm1024's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 6,621
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked: 877
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5x10 View Post
go pull up the manual on any lcd tv off of LG's website, its printed on one of the first few pages
i did it last week and it says 2 hours for lcd and 1 hour for plasma

for example, click link, then open the pdf of the manual
http://www.lg.com/us/support-product/lg-55UB8500

pg 5, on the right hand side, states




Avoid displaying a fixed image on the TV

screen for a long period of time (2 or more

hours for LCD, 1 or more hours for the

Plasma TV) to prevent image burn.
That's amazing CYA on their part! Yikes.
5x10 likes this.

Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent. Unless, of course, it's to keep someone from creating a phone video in portrait mode, in which case it's a pretty good first step. Portrait mooks: KNOCK IT OFF.
tgm1024 is online now  
post #5184 of 6757 Old 07-28-2014, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member
 
tgm1024's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 6,621
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked: 877
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yappadappadu View Post
@vegas : Maybe take a deep breath?
@tgm : He's talking about the burn in warning in every LG manual. We've been there several times already.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas oled View Post
I know what's he's talking about, he almost had a heart attack when someone mentioned something about LCD. The haters will keep bashing as the smart people are coming aboard the OLED train. We have also been through the 10ire grey scale issue that the same few keep rehashing every couple weeks.
Yappadappadu was directing the "He's talking about" to me, not you. He was referring to 5x10's comment.

What I was amazed at was that there would be a warning at all about an LCD in a manual for as little as 2 hours. I understand how the technology works, and that's just an absurdly short period of time unless there is something really wrong. Especially if you consider the folks using LCDs who play video games with fixed HUDs and crosshairs, and the like. I had my old LCD Sony monitor with the screen saver turned off with a bright white window stay on over a 3 day weekend and no IR. It really looks like an over zealous CYA.

But what I DIDN'T have was a "heart attack" over someone attacking my TV in some personal way like you apparently do. I'll leave that kind of childish defensiveness to you and your OLED. I was expressing surprise that LG would bother with such a warning.

And WHERE on earth do you get that I'm a hater of OLEDs? Seriously, you need to just relax, take a look around, and realize that you're on an audio/video science forum. Repeat this to yourself: "It's just a TV", "It's just a TV", "It's just a TV".....

Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent. Unless, of course, it's to keep someone from creating a phone video in portrait mode, in which case it's a pretty good first step. Portrait mooks: KNOCK IT OFF.

Last edited by tgm1024; 07-28-2014 at 12:41 PM.
tgm1024 is online now  
post #5185 of 6757 Old 07-28-2014, 01:07 PM
Advanced Member
 
5x10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 820
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post
That's amazing CYA on their part! Yikes.
even more amazing that some forum members report this as being real burn in worries, even though the issue has been addrssed several times as being ultra conservative time frames from the manufacturer
5x10 is offline  
post #5186 of 6757 Old 07-28-2014, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Vegas oled's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 1,826
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked: 672
[QUOTE=tgm1024;

"It's just a TV", "It's just a TV", "It's just a TV".....[/QUOTE]

You need to take your own advise. You have spent the last several months criticizing the OLED and admitting you are nit-picking every aspect of OLED.

Its just a a TV, unless you like to put up 5 ire grey scale slides and stair at the screen. It's Just a TV, a Dam good one I might add.

The funny thing is none of you guys will ever be OLED owners
Vegas oled is offline  
post #5187 of 6757 Old 07-28-2014, 01:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Ken Ross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: N.Y.
Posts: 24,297
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1200 Post(s)
Liked: 1362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas oled View Post

Like the review stated on the newest OLED, any negatives about OLED picture quality are only going to be from nit pickers
And that's what AVS is largely comprised of, nitpickers. So why do the questions and comments upset or surprise you?
Ken Ross is offline  
post #5188 of 6757 Old 07-28-2014, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Vegas oled's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 1,826
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked: 672
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
And that's what AVS is largely comprised of, nitpickers. So why do the questions and comments upset or surprise you?
With you Ken I do believe you are just doing extremely analytical research. I do believe you will one day own a 77" OLED.
Ken Ross likes this.
Vegas oled is offline  
post #5189 of 6757 Old 07-28-2014, 01:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Ken Ross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: N.Y.
Posts: 24,297
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1200 Post(s)
Liked: 1362
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5x10 View Post

i do lol when Ken ross comes in a thread and says " oh wow, lg states only 1 hour at a time to prevent burn in. what a shame" when he fails to see that LG also says the 1 hour about plasma and 2 hours for lcd
i do wonder if there are alterior motives for posting something like that, considering that ken seems pretty up to speed on tv tech
No, actually it was and is a very honest concern for a tech I'm seriously considering. If you take LG's stated hour limits, they are saying that OLED is twice as susceptible to IR or burn-in as plasma.

Personally, that's a concern I must take into account in the purchasing decision. My wife would not appreciate me 'cleaning the screen' after every movie.

Some of you guys need to be a little less defensive and a bit more objective about the concerns expressed by prospective owners. We are genuinely interested or wouldn't be wasting our time here.

BTW 5x10, I'm not as up on OLED tech as I should be. Yet another reason I'm here.
bresna likes this.
Ken Ross is offline  
post #5190 of 6757 Old 07-28-2014, 01:22 PM
Advanced Member
 
5x10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 820
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
No, actually it was and is a very honest concern for a tech I'm seriously considering. If you take LG's stated hour limits, they are saying that OLED is twice as susceptible to IR or burn-in as plasma.

Personally, that's a concern I must take into account in the purchasing decision. My wife would not appreciate me 'cleaning the screen' after every movie.

Some of you guys need to be a little less defensive and a bit more objective about the concerns expressed by prospective owners. We are genuinely interested or wouldn't be wasting our time here.

BTW 5x10, I'm not as up on OLED tech as I should be. Yet another reason I'm here.
actually, oled and plasma both have 1 hour time frames
and lcd has 2 hours
so plasma and oled is twice as susceptible to IR when compared to LCD, but I also have to take that with a grain of salt as they are saying no more than 2 hours for LCD
thats just plain crazy

Avoid displaying a fixed image on the TV

screen for a long period of time (2 or more

hours for LCD, 1 or more hours for the

Plasma TV) to prevent image burn.




Ken, take off your LCD glasses when reading the above
i kid, i kid


Last edited by 5x10; 07-28-2014 at 01:27 PM.
5x10 is offline  
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
Lg 55ea9800 Oled Hdtv , Lg
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off