post #5191 of 6419 Old 07-28-2014, 01:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1006 Post(s)
Liked: 1088
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas oled View Post
With you Ken I do believe you are just doing extremely analytical research. I do believe you will one day own a 77" OLED.
And if you subsidize 50% of the price, the odds of that happening will increase dramatically.

Seriously, the price, whenever it's announced, will be a major factor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5192 of 6419 Old 07-28-2014, 01:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5x10 View Post
actually, oled and plasma both have 1 hour time frames
and lcd has 2 hours
so plasma and oled is twice as susceptible to IR when compared to LCD, but I also have to take that with a grain of salt as they are saying no more than 2 hours for LCD
thats just plain crazy

Avoid displaying a fixed image on the TV

screen for a long period of time (2 or more

hours for LCD, 1 or more hours for the

Plasma TV) to prevent image burn.

Ken, take off your LCD glasses when reading the above
i kid, i kid

Ah, OK, I stand corrected. Hopefully they're being super conservative for all the techs mentioned.
post #5193 of 6419 Old 07-28-2014, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 577
Quote:
actually, oled and plasma both have 1 hour time frames
and lcd has 2 hours
so plasma and oled is twice as susceptible to IR when compared to LCD, but I also have to take that with a grain of salt as they are saying no more than 2 hours for LCD
thats just plain crazy

Avoid displaying a fixed image on the TV

screen for a long period of time (2 or more

hours for LCD, 1 or more hours for the

Plasma TV) to prevent image burn.

Plasma had a susceptibility to IR that was a significant disadvantage versus the easier 'care and feeding' requirements of LED/LCD and which contributed to it's ultimate demise.

LED/LCD has no susceptibility to IR regardless of any warning LG may print in their manuals - it's a bullet-proof 'set-it-and-forget-it' technology that is more consumer friendly than plasma and that contributed to the world dominant position it finds itself in now.

OLED does not have to be as consumer friendly as LED/LCD to succeed, but if suffers from visible IR after watching a full letterbox movie or two, I'm afraid its doomed to the same fate as plasma.

Let's hope that LG is just being overly-cautious with their printed materials and that each generation of WOLED delivers a TV technology that is closer and closer to LED/LCD than Plasma when it comes to IR...
post #5194 of 6419 Old 07-28-2014, 01:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
Ah, OK, I stand corrected. Hopefully they're being super conservative for all the techs mentioned.
theres no hoping on my end, i know for a fact that i will not get burn in, from leaving a vivid image on a lcd, for 2 hours

the worry on OLED, for me, is, how long does it take for it to get burn in
i wish LG could publish some findings from their end, you would think they have tested these sets and know some time frames to help avoid
post #5195 of 6419 Old 07-28-2014, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 395 Post(s)
Liked: 756
Quote:
With you Ken I do believe you are just doing extremely analytical research. I do believe you will one day own a 77" OLED.
Spend some serious time in the oled advancements thread and you'll have a better appreciation for how hard some of us have been trying to dig up the technology (manufacturing problems, electronics, patents, physics, etc) involved in OLED displays. http://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-flat-panels-general-oled-technology/681125-oled-tvs-technology-advancements-thread-264.html
post #5196 of 6419 Old 07-28-2014, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
theres no hoping on my end, i know for a fact that i will not get burn in, from leaving a vivid image on a lcd, for 2 hours

the worry on OLED, for me, is, how long does it take for it to get burn in
i wish LG could publish some findings from their end, you would think they have tested these sets and know some time frames to help avoid
Well you're in luck: that's what threads like this are for. Unless of course you're vegasoled, in which case this thread is for fanboy accolades only.
post #5197 of 6419 Old 07-28-2014, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post
Well you're in luck: that's what threads like this are for. Unless of course you're vegasoled, in which case this thread is for fanboy accolades only.
No, this is an "Owners Page", it's for people who own this model or are considering it or have some positive knowledge or questions . There are OLED forums specific to discuss the technology where people discuss the pros, cons and thoughts about the technology, Fanboys do usually post on the forum of the model they own.
post #5198 of 6419 Old 07-28-2014, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

^^^(I'm letting him go rant around for awhile....)

Meanwhile, back on earth and back on topic: Are we fairly certain yet that the initial wave of IR trouble that Plague, Vinnie, and a few others saw is over? Seems like we haven't seen a lot of "OMG, 1 letterbox movie and I have IR" in a while. If not, it'd be nice to narrow down the identifying parameters some for these things (Serial numbers, Manufacturing date, or whatever).

Grow milkweed. The Monarch Butterfly requires it, and its numbers are dwindling fast.
post #5199 of 6419 Old 07-28-2014, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 224
IR seems purely software based and simply turn off the TV will cure it from my own experience. The IR effect from watching one or two movies is not that noticeable to begin with.
post #5200 of 6419 Old 07-28-2014, 04:49 PM

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWhip View Post
Get a grip there Vegas, this is not life and death. No one is attacking you for having an OLED. IT IS JUST A TV!!!!! I am very interested in OLED. I have seen them all. I like the potential. I would one day love to own one. However, I will not buy a curved one. The one poster on AVS who has the flat OLED says he does not have any screen uniformity issues. I saw the flat OLED in London last summer and on a white field, saw no uniformity issues either. All the curved ones seem to have it. Therefore, it is reasonable to ask if the curve is the problem. Maybe it is the electronics or poor QC, whatever it is, IT SHOULDN'T BE THERE! Yes, OLED has a great picture. Better than LCD, with that I wouldn't argue. However, that being said, there are far too many issues with it for me to consider one at this time. If I didn't have a 141, maybe I would think about it. But, NEVER with a curve and only 55 inches. If LG comes out with a flat 65" 4K that supports all the 4 K specs, let me know.
lol What SHOULDNT BE THERE is the horrible flashlighting and clouding of the edge lit LCDs. I cannot stop laughing at the idea of 4K tvs BUT edge lit. Its like dressing junk in a nice costume. At least make the tv full led backlight with some dimmable zones.

I would say an OLED tv has only 10% better PQ than an edge lit lcd. hehe Im joking, of course.
post #5201 of 6419 Old 07-28-2014, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Yep. I can't for the life of me understand anyone trying to emotionally defend a chunk of technology and taking any negative comment or detracting speculation about it as some personal affront. Really, this kind of "stop picking on my TV" business doesn't belong here.
I guess Vegas is annoyed of people who dont own the OLED tv and post about their concerns. Where an OLED owner is enjoying the best PQ in the world, and not that worried about the negatives of their tvs.
post #5202 of 6419 Old 07-28-2014, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Morning, I agree with you about LEDs. However, I have 3 plasmas, the best being the Kuro 141 with tweaked blacks by D-Nice. so I am more than happy with my PQ and don't lust after a 55" OLED. Show me a 65" or bigger OLED that is flat and wall mountable for $5 or 6k and all bets are off. Until then, I will stick with what I have.
Morning5 likes this.
post #5203 of 6419 Old 07-28-2014, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Morning, I agree with you about LEDs. However, I have 3 plasmas, the best being the Kuro 141 with tweaked blacks by D-Nice. so I am more than happy with my PQ and don't lust after a 55" OLED. Show me a 65" or bigger OLED that is flat and wall mountable for $5 or 6k and all bets are off. Until then, I will stick with what I have.
Oh I see JWhip. I agree with you that you dont lust for an OLED, since you already have a great tv. Im happy with my LG LX9500, FALD 240 zones, but I'm intrigued about perfect Black color and Contrast, since OLED tvs can dim every singular pixel.
post #5204 of 6419 Old 07-28-2014, 05:25 PM
AVS Special Member

They both ran slides for hours try to erase the IR. But from what I can tell and a few others, simply turn off the TV has the same effect. Besides, the IR from LB is counter intuitive to the real burn in, e.g. the black bar area seems to be darker than the imaging area after the movie which indicates it is not the typical burn in. If it is burn in, the black bar area should be brighter not dimmer in a gray slide.
post #5205 of 6419 Old 07-28-2014, 05:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morning5 View Post
Oh I see JWhip. I agree with you that you dont lust for an OLED, since you already have a great tv. Im happy with my LG LX9500, FALD 240 zones, but I'm intrigued about perfect Black color and Contrast, since OLED tvs can dim every singular pixel.

Your LX9500 has some pretty darn good black levels, the best built that calendar year.
Morning5 likes this.
post #5206 of 6419 Old 07-28-2014, 05:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post
They both ran slides for hours try to erase the IR. But from what I can tell and a few others, simply turn off the TV has the same effect. Besides, the IR from LB is counter intuitive to the real burn in, e.g. the black bar area seems to be darker than the imaging area after the movie which indicates it is not the typical burn in. If it is burn in, the black bar area should be brighter not dimmer in a gray slide.
I'm sure Plague and Vinnie turned their TV off at some point and neither seemed to be doing handstands.

This will take some time to unravel. Look at how much disagreement there is about plasma still.

Grow milkweed. The Monarch Butterfly requires it, and its numbers are dwindling fast.
post #5207 of 6419 Old 07-28-2014, 05:43 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't seem to remember that they have those IR persistent. The OCD on a lot of owners here are that they check for LB IR immediately after a LB movie and run slides until the IR is gone. So, no, I doubt they ever turn off the TV before the IR are completely erased

Seriously, IR is not an issue at all. There is no disagreement on that other than how to get rid of it.
post #5208 of 6419 Old 07-28-2014, 05:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I'm sure Plague and Vinnie turned their TV off at some point and neither seemed to be doing handstands.

This will take some time to unravel. Look at how much disagreement there is about plasma still.
That's true, plasma ir comes without reason, some get it on new sets, some get it with aging sets

The ir on this tv is just plain weird to me, can be overcome with turning the tv off then on
Once, it came after watching 30 mins of lb movies, then another time, I watch 2 lb movies back to back with no evidence of it
Almost not like true ir
If I had to bet, over time, it will show as the outer top and bottom edges are not aging the pixels like the center of the screen
Question is, how much time
post #5209 of 6419 Old 07-28-2014, 07:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post

Seriously, IR is not an issue at all. There is no disagreement on that other than how to get rid of it.
Say what? IR is not an issue but there's just disagreement on how to get rid of it?!?!
tgm1024 likes this.
post #5210 of 6419 Old 07-28-2014, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Say what? IR is not an issue but there's just disagreement on how to get rid of it?!?!
Well, an actual owner of the OLED tv says he isn't bothered by it, and that the IR can be removed by different means, the easier method being turning off the tv after watching some material.

Ken, perhaps you could try buying the LG OLED tv, and if you don't like it, after experiencing and owning it yourself, you can trade it back. No better way to judge the tv by owning it, instead of getting worried by some written text.
Foxbat121 likes this.
post #5211 of 6419 Old 07-28-2014, 07:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
That's why my interest is only with the 77" 4K LG. We shall see.
Man, can't wait for that set
Kids college fund might take a hit
Vegas oled likes this.
post #5212 of 6419 Old 07-28-2014, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Morning, my problems with the current LG OLED are a) no 4K b) 55" and c) curved screen.

I think can get past 'c' and probably the IR issues (which some owners were bothered by), but not a & b. Those are both non-starters for me.

That's why my interest is only with the 77" 4K LG. We shall see.
Yeah Ken, the 77" OLED seems to be the holy grail of tvs.
Vegas oled likes this.
post #5213 of 6419 Old 07-28-2014, 10:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Note LG is putting OLED lifespan equal to plasma, 50-100 thousand hours.

http://hdguru.com/lgs-ultra-high-def...-price-leaked/
post #5214 of 6419 Old 07-28-2014, 11:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
well, one guy that reports 0 is also a calibrator, so im assuming he has the knowledge to know what it is and where to look for it

Can you ask him to post pictures of near black grey screen? Say 5% IRE calibration pattern in a dark room. That would settle the debate on whether the curve affects uniformity. I browsed that avforum thread but only saw pictures of white uniformity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post
LED/LCD has no susceptibility to IR regardless of any warning LG may print in their manuals - it's a bullet-proof 'set-it-and-forget-it' technology that is more consumer friendly than plasma and that contributed to the world dominant position it finds itself in now.
I guess Chad didn't get the memo when he reviewed the LG 65UB9800 4K LCD a few weeks back:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad B View Post
To my surprise, the bright on screen menu and some of my bright test patterns produced short lived but very obvious image retention. While IR is nothing new to plasma owners, it's somewhat shocking to see on an LCD. Thankfully, it dissipated within a couple of minutes at each occurrence and did not appear to be a longevity concern.

IR is often cumulative and can eventually lead to BI. I believe those warnings in the manual are there for good reason, even if they seem overly cautious.
post #5215 of 6419 Old 07-28-2014, 11:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizziwig View Post
Can you ask him to post pictures of near black grey screen? Say 5% IRE calibration pattern in a dark room. That would settle the debate on whether the curve affects uniformity. I browsed that avforum thread but only saw pictures of white uniformity.

I guess Chad didn't get the memo when he reviewed the LG 65UB9800 4K LCD a few weeks back:

IR is often cumulative and can eventually lead to BI. I believe those warnings in the manual are there for good reason, even if they seem overly cautious.
People should stop responded to this nonsense. But of course there are many just like him out there. No LCD's do not have burn-in unless a person is a complete moron who leaves his TV on a paused. screen for a few months.

Enjoy your flat OLED and don't listen to these nitpicking people with OLED envy. You will never see uniformity issues with content. Many of the people asking for this are extremely envious as they have bands running through their LCD screens.

IR never leads to burn in that is just BS, They are two different things.

Chad has forgotten more about LCD panels than the people who question him on these forums will ever know.

Oh for you self proclaimed experts who keep coming on here questioning OLED lifespan, LG puts it at 50-100 thousand hours.
http://hdguru.com/lgs-ultra-high-def...-price-leaked/

Last edited by Vegas oled; 07-29-2014 at 12:02 AM.
post #5216 of 6419 Old 07-29-2014, 12:57 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Get a grip there Vegas, this is not life and death. No one is attacking you for having an OLED. IT IS JUST A TV!!!!! I am very interested in OLED. I have seen them all. I like the potential. I would one day love to own one. However, I will not buy a curved one. The one poster on AVS who has the flat OLED says he does not have any screen uniformity issues. I saw the flat OLED in London last summer and on a white field, saw no uniformity issues either. All the curved ones seem to have it. Therefore, it is reasonable to ask if the curve is the problem. Maybe it is the electronics or poor QC, whatever it is, IT SHOULDN'T BE THERE! Yes, OLED has a great picture. Better than LCD, with that I wouldn't argue. However, that being said, there are far too many issues with it for me to consider one at this time. If I didn't have a 141, maybe I would think about it. But, NEVER with a curve and only 55 inches. If LG comes out with a flat 65" 4K that supports all the 4 K specs, let me know.
When I played around with the flat model in a store, I did notice a green cast when viewed from the side. The clerk agreed it was there. What this means for flat/curved uniformity I dunno.
post #5217 of 6419 Old 07-29-2014, 06:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:

4K OLED weeks away, now we will see cutting edge technologies merge to a 4K set worth purchasing.
Where are you getting that? The EC9300 is not 4K. http://m.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-55EC9300-oled-tv

Last edited by grizzledbiker; 07-29-2014 at 06:37 AM.
post #5218 of 6419 Old 07-29-2014, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizziwig View Post
Quote:
People should stop responded to this nonsense. But of course there are many just like him out there. No LCD's do not have burn-in unless a person is a complete moron who leaves his TV on a paused. screen for a few months.

Enjoy your flat OLED and don't listen to these nitpicking people with OLED envy. You will never see uniformity issues with content. Many of the people asking for this are extremely envious as they have bands running through their LCD screens.

IR never leads to burn in that is just BS, They are two different things.
People (I as well) should stop responding to your nonsense.

At the physics level, what we're calling IR is different for every display technology. At the physics level, what we're calling BI is different for every display technology. And what actually is happening at the lowest levels (and the causal chain of events before it) is still not completely understood. You can't simply declare that one "never" leads to another, because they're not merely "2 different things" and we just don't know. For (say) 4 display types (CRT, Plasma, LCD, OLED), they could be 8 different things, even if related.

I believe what Wizziwig meant was that if you continually excite the same pixels that are already exhibiting IR, you'll get BI more quickly; that IR is a step before BI. That much sounds reasonable to me.

Last edited by tgm1024; 07-29-2014 at 07:12 AM.
post #5219 of 6419 Old 07-29-2014, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterbrew2 View Post
When I played around with the flat model in a store, I did notice a green cast when viewed from the side. The clerk agreed it was there. What this means for flat/curved uniformity I dunno.
Did you see the green cast more or less uniformly across the screen?

post #5220 of 6419 Old 07-29-2014, 07:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Are the whites as clear and bright as a Sammy curved 4k set? Or closer to a plasma?
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
Lg 55ea9800 Oled Hdtv , Lg
Gear in this thread - 55ea9800 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page