LG 55EA9800 55" OLED Owner's thread - Page 184 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #5491 of 7341 Old 08-02-2014, 11:42 AM
 
Vegas oled's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 1,927
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1050 Post(s)
Liked: 747
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
Wow, too bad, only 1" away from the 77" OLED you used to rave about that's coming out!

Guess I'll scratch that off my list.
Would love is but at $20 plus grand and still vaporware until wee see it, It will not be on any list of mine. I would purchase the 65" 4k OLED just for the 65" screen, 4k adds nothing in picture quality from 9 feet on a 65" screen. Would rather LG had a 65" 1080P OLED for $4,000 than a 65" 4K for $6,500. That's a lot of change for something not visible from 8 feet away.
Vegas oled is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #5492 of 7341 Old 08-02-2014, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member
 
JWhip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Wayne, PA
Posts: 4,714
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Liked: 591
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas oled View Post
I would like too see the photo again. My guess is a store employee ran a thumb drive of a demo that was supposed to run on a LCD panel. The OLED demo running at BB and Frys in the United States looked nothing like what I remember seeing. I have seen plasmas with burn in (including the ZT) from abuse by employees. This would not be a factor for me if I wanted to purchase a ZT.

As I recall from speaking to the salesman when I saw the burn in, he informed me that it was generated by the TV and was kept on when running the loop at the REQUEST of LG. It was off when they ran blu-rays on that set and there was a blu-ray running when I went back a few days later, playing the Avengers. The BI was still there. I will be back at Harrods in August and will check what they have.
JWhip is offline  
post #5493 of 7341 Old 08-02-2014, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member
 
JWhip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Wayne, PA
Posts: 4,714
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Liked: 591
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5x10 View Post
I disagree, there isn't a tv or type of tv that doesn't have issues
Go to the LCD and plasma sections, they are not any safer picks than oled
The only thing we don't know yet is how long the panels last

As for burn in, I have no worries as I don't plan on running a static image, 8 hours a day, for months

Well, how long these panels will last is a real issue. The truth is we have no idea. I figure than once the sets are in the field for 2 years we will have a better handle on it. As for BI, my concern is the cummulative effect of a couple hours or so every day or several hours every Sunday with watching the NFL with those idiotic tickers on the bottom. We will have to see and I will be watching.
JWhip is offline  
post #5494 of 7341 Old 08-02-2014, 11:51 AM
 
Vegas oled's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 1,927
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1050 Post(s)
Liked: 747
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5x10 View Post
I disagree, there isn't a tv or type of tv that doesn't have issues
Go to the LCD and plasma sections, they are not any safer picks than oled
The only thing we don't know yet is how long the panels last

As for burn in, I have no worries as I don't plan on running a static image, 8 hours a day, for months
100% agree, OLED envy creates a lot of rumors and mis-information. It continues to be the same handful of people who do not own an OLED and continue to come on this forum to bad mouth it.

I was on the 900B and 950B forums when I owner one and was considering a 950B. So many sets were broken out of the box and had a ton of issues for a technology that has been around for 20 years. Amazing how many OLED's ship across the Ocean from Korea WO damages and yet a large % of Sony's cannot make it across the border without a cracked screen.

Last edited by Vegas oled; 08-02-2014 at 11:59 AM.
Vegas oled is offline  
post #5495 of 7341 Old 08-02-2014, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member
 
vaktmestern's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,262
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
I thought they did?
No sadly its not included u need to download one on a usb stick.
vaktmestern is online now  
post #5496 of 7341 Old 08-02-2014, 11:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Ken Ross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: N.Y.
Posts: 27,452
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3284 Post(s)
Liked: 3142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas oled View Post
Would love is but at $20 plus grand and still vaporware until wee see it, It will not be on any list of mine. I would purchase the 65" 4k OLED just for the 65" screen, 4k adds nothing in picture quality from 9 feet on a 65" screen. Would rather LG had a 65" 1080P OLED for $4,000 than a 65" 4K for $6,500. That's a lot of change for something not visible from 8 feet away.
So are you doubting this will ever come out? A bit rash to call it 'vaporware'. Let's wait to see how much it comes out at. But I couldn't help but seeing your new size requirements for 4K are now 78"...just conveniently 1" larger than the 77" you raved about such a short time ago.

As for the 'add nothing' attributes of 4K, many reviewers have commented on how the smoother pixel structure added to the overall look, despite the extra detail not being observed at larger than optimal viewing distances for that sized TV.

As for your 9' viewing distance, move your couch a bit and you'll begin to see the differences in detail. For a guy that's so anal about PQ, that should be not so hard to do. But here I am arguing with a guy who raved about 4K and what it added to his UHD TV...at THAT time.

Vegas, you really really need to read some of your 'old' posts (like 2-3 weeks ago) to see why some of us are amused. You really bring this on yourself...I mean that in a friendly way.
Ken Ross is offline  
post #5497 of 7341 Old 08-02-2014, 11:56 AM
Advanced Member
 
5x10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 986
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 588 Post(s)
Liked: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWhip View Post
Well, how long these panels will last is a real issue. The truth is we have no idea. I figure than once the sets are in the field for 2 years we will have a better handle on it. As for BI, my concern is the cummulative effect of a couple hours or so every day or several hours every Sunday with watching the NFL with those idiotic tickers on the bottom. We will have to see and I will be watching.
i agree
The temporary ir from LB movies doesn't worry me(not to mention, it doesn't even make any sense)

I worry more about watching lb movies over the years, and the lb portion of the film not aging the panel like the part that is showing content
Then, while watching full screen content, the lb portion will be brighter than the middle portion.
This happened to my rear projection 65' Mitsubishi, had the 4:3 bars on the side brighter Than the middle of the screen
5x10 is offline  
post #5498 of 7341 Old 08-02-2014, 11:59 AM
Senior Member
 
enator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Stockholm / Sweden
Posts: 229
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 42
4K Resolution Is Visible vs 1080p on 55″ TV from 9′ Viewing Distance

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/4k-re...1312153517.htm
enator is offline  
post #5499 of 7341 Old 08-02-2014, 12:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Ken Ross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: N.Y.
Posts: 27,452
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3284 Post(s)
Liked: 3142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas oled View Post
100% agree, OLED envy creates a lot of rumors and mis-information. It continues to be the same handful of people who do not won a OLED and continue to come on this forum to bad mouth it.
I think you confuse raising honest questions with 'bad mouthing'. They are two different things. I think you also confuse not frothing at the mouth at the thought of owning an OLED with 'OLED envy'.

I think everyone acknowledges the superior black levels and CR of OLED, but there are other questions that need to be asked, some of which nobody has the answers to...yet.
Stereodude, fafrd, bresna and 3 others like this.
Ken Ross is offline  
post #5500 of 7341 Old 08-02-2014, 12:02 PM
 
Vegas oled's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 1,927
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1050 Post(s)
Liked: 747
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaktmestern View Post
No sadly its not included u need to download one on a usb stick.
It's not there because it is only necessary in some peoples heads.
Vegas oled is offline  
post #5501 of 7341 Old 08-02-2014, 12:03 PM
Advanced Member
 
5x10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 986
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 588 Post(s)
Liked: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by enator View Post
4K Resolution Is Visible vs 1080p on 55″ TV from 9′ Viewing Distance

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/4k-re...1312153517.htm
Thanks for the read
I wonder how the results would have fared if they used up scaled 1080 vs 1080
Has this comparison already been written about?
5x10 is offline  
post #5502 of 7341 Old 08-02-2014, 12:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Ken Ross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: N.Y.
Posts: 27,452
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3284 Post(s)
Liked: 3142
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5x10 View Post
i agree
The temporary ir from LB movies doesn't worry me(not to mention, it doesn't even make any sense)

I worry more about watching lb movies over the years, and the lb portion of the film not aging the panel like the part that is showing content
Then, while watching full screen content, the lb portion will be brighter than the middle portion.
This happened to my rear projection 65' Mitsubishi, had the 4:3 bars on the side brighter Than the middle of the screen
Some of that will be answered by the true lifespan of the display, a still unanswered question. But I'd think it would be wise, just as with plasma, to mix up your content. I watch a lot of varied content, much of which is full-screen, so for me this is less of a concern. However if almost all of your content is LB, I think you have a valid concern.
Ken Ross is offline  
post #5503 of 7341 Old 08-02-2014, 12:07 PM
 
Vegas oled's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 1,927
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1050 Post(s)
Liked: 747
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
I think you confuse raising honest questions with 'bad mouthing'. They are two different things. I think you also confuse not frothing at the mouth at the thought of owning an OLED with 'OLED envy'.

I think everyone acknowledges the superior black levels and CR of OLED, but there are other questions that need to be asked, some of which nobody has the answers to...yet.
Most of the people who claim they are considering an OLED are full of hot air and sadly could not afford one. Not saying this is the case with you Ken. I truly wish more people could afford a OLED as they are Sooo MUCH better than anything else. I cannot wait until they are cheaper so everyone who wants one can own one.

OLED envy will continue as people read the reviews and realize if they do not own and OLED they do not own the best. I remember when I 1st saw an OLED at $9,999, I thought maybe in 4 or 5 years. Thankfully the price dropped and I am the proud owner of this incredible new technology.

OLED because anything else is second best
Vegas oled is offline  
post #5504 of 7341 Old 08-02-2014, 12:07 PM
Advanced Member
 
5x10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 986
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 588 Post(s)
Liked: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
Some of that will be answered by the true lifespan of the display, a still unanswered question. But I'd think it would be wise, just as with plasma, to mix up your content. I watch a lot of varied content, much of which is full-screen, so for me this is less of a concern. However if almost all of your content is LB, I think you have a valid concern.
I mix it up pretty well, going to put the set through a test once the nfl starts, seems like every station has the scrolling static boxes on the bottom of the screen
5x10 is offline  
post #5505 of 7341 Old 08-02-2014, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member
 
vaktmestern's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,262
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Most new movies are letterbars not a oleds best friend
vaktmestern is online now  
post #5506 of 7341 Old 08-02-2014, 12:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Ken Ross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: N.Y.
Posts: 27,452
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3284 Post(s)
Liked: 3142
Quote:
Originally Posted by enator View Post
4K Resolution Is Visible vs 1080p on 55″ TV from 9′ Viewing Distance

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/4k-re...1312153517.htm
Eh, what do these guys know?

Yeah, they're not the only ones that have expressed the opinion that differences CAN be seen in screen sizes and distances greater than what some would think. Their test was a bit different in that actual attendees could see the difference even though they had no idea which display was which. Not a bad test at all.
Ken Ross is offline  
post #5507 of 7341 Old 08-02-2014, 12:11 PM
 
Vegas oled's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 1,927
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1050 Post(s)
Liked: 747
Quote:
Originally Posted by enator View Post
4K Resolution Is Visible vs 1080p on 55″ TV from 9′ Viewing Distance

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/4k-re...1312153517.htm
Sorry, but CNET does not agree and I have owned both an side with CNET.

http://www.cnet.com/news/why-ultra-h...-still-stupid/
Vegas oled is offline  
post #5508 of 7341 Old 08-02-2014, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member
 
vaktmestern's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,262
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Was a good test n didnt most people pick out the 4k screen?
vaktmestern is online now  
post #5509 of 7341 Old 08-02-2014, 12:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Ken Ross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: N.Y.
Posts: 27,452
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3284 Post(s)
Liked: 3142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas oled View Post
It's not there because it is only necessary in some peoples heads.
Is that why the 1 hour warning is prominently displayed in the LG manual? Is the concern in their heads too?

C'mon Vegas, a little objectivity here. Nobody is saying that OLED will burn-in or display serious IR with all content in all situations, but to deny that some extra care is required is just being in total denial. I've got the F8500 plasma, and you can bet your life I still exercise greater care with it than I do with my Sharp Elite LCD. I pay zero care to my Elite but not so my plasma.

This is just being prudent.
Ken Ross is offline  
post #5510 of 7341 Old 08-02-2014, 12:15 PM
Member
 
andy2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 170
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaktmestern View Post
If 4k BD out 1080p tvs suddenly will look n feel like 720p tvs did when 1080p was out... nobody wanted them any more.

One hurdle that 1080p TVs didn't have to face is that there was already plenty of 1920x1080 content for them to display. With 4k, there's a chicken and egg problem.

Still, I have little doubt that 4k will become the new standard for all but the cheapest displays since the manufacturers need to offer something new to keep the price up. I would rather see something better than LCD (still at 1080p) before moving to 4k, but 4k is easier to make and market than inventing a new display technology.
andy2000 is offline  
post #5511 of 7341 Old 08-02-2014, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member
 
vaktmestern's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,262
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Oled with 1080p looks stunning but isnt it to close to 4k to jump into one?
vaktmestern is online now  
post #5512 of 7341 Old 08-02-2014, 12:18 PM
 
Vegas oled's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 1,927
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1050 Post(s)
Liked: 747
from display mate.com

4K HDTVs and Projectors: Some manufacturers are introducing HDTVs with resolutions that are at least double the existing standard 1920x1080 resolution - 3840x2160 or more. They are often called 4K displays. Some reviewers have already claimed dramatically improved picture quality and sharpness - but that is impossible unless they have significantly better than 20/20 Vision or are watching from an absurdly close viewing distance. However, the higher resolutions are important for Digital Cinematography and cinema projectors that have large 10 foot or more screens. But note that there isn't any consumer content available yet for resolutions higher than 1920x1080, so save your money and wait for the Apple Television with a true 1920x1080 Retina Display...
Vegas oled is offline  
post #5513 of 7341 Old 08-02-2014, 12:18 PM
Advanced Member
 
5x10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 986
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 588 Post(s)
Liked: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
Is that why the 1 hour warning is prominently displayed in the LG manual? Is the concern in their heads too?
.
Come on ken, why do you keep going back to that?
Are you in the lg LCD threads telling members to be wary of the 2 hours limit for burn in, that's predominately displayed in their manual?
Masterbrew2 likes this.
5x10 is offline  
post #5514 of 7341 Old 08-02-2014, 12:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Ken Ross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: N.Y.
Posts: 27,452
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3284 Post(s)
Liked: 3142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas oled View Post
Sorry, but CNET does not agree and I have owned both an side with CNET.

http://www.cnet.com/news/why-ultra-h...-still-stupid/
This is an easy one Vegas, it really is. Do you believe one person, David K, who is quite obviously no fan of 4K or do we believe 50 attendees at a test, with no axe to grind, to determine if they could see the 4K difference...of which all but one could?

Sorry, this squarely falls in to the 'no brainer' category for me. I mean really, no contest.

Now just imagine a larger, more typical 4K screen, at a more optimal viewing distance. Again, no contest.
Ken Ross is offline  
post #5515 of 7341 Old 08-02-2014, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member
 
JWhip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Wayne, PA
Posts: 4,714
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Liked: 591
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas oled View Post
100% agree, OLED envy creates a lot of rumors and mis-information. It continues to be the same handful of people who do not own an OLED and continue to come on this forum to bad mouth it.

I was on the 900B and 950B forums when I owner one and was considering a 950B. So many sets were broken out of the box and had a ton of issues for a technology that has been around for 20 years. Amazing how many OLED's ship across the Ocean from Korea WO damages and yet a large % of Sony's cannot make it across the border without a cracked screen.

For your sake Vegas, I hope you don't turn on the TV soon and see numerous dead pixels.
JWhip is offline  
post #5516 of 7341 Old 08-02-2014, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member
 
vaktmestern's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,262
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWhip View Post
For your sake Vegas, I hope you don't turn on the TV soon and see numerous dead pixels.
Actually thats was when i did se my blue dead ones
vaktmestern is online now  
post #5517 of 7341 Old 08-02-2014, 12:23 PM
 
Vegas oled's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 1,927
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1050 Post(s)
Liked: 747
P

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaktmestern View Post
Oled with 1080p looks stunning but isnt it to close to 4k to jump into one?
The difference is OLED will make everything better TODAY with current 1080I and 720P. No thumb drives of a handful of 4k materials needed so you can move your sofa 5 feet from to appreciate. An OLED, f8500 Kuro or ZT playing 1080P will blow ways a LCD playing 4K of the same material every skin single time.
ONDr and Masterbrew2 like this.
Vegas oled is offline  
post #5518 of 7341 Old 08-02-2014, 12:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Ken Ross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: N.Y.
Posts: 27,452
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3284 Post(s)
Liked: 3142
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5x10 View Post
Come on ken, why do you keep going back to that?
Are you in the lg LCD threads telling members to be wary of the 2 hours limit for burn in, that's predominately displayed in their manual?
I come back to it only because I do believe it's there for a reason. We don't have a large enough sampling to disprove that burn-in is absolutely not an issue. I sincerely hope it's not since I may well own one before too long.

I have IR on my plasma and I never try to abuse it to the point of burn-in. I have seen burn-in on many plasmas and I have no reason to believe the same can't happen to OLED where care is not exercised.

And no, I don't go to the LG LCD threads because I have zero interest in LG LCDs, whereas the 77" LG OLED is at the top of my list. I don't waste my time in threads for products I have no interest in.
fafrd likes this.
Ken Ross is offline  
post #5519 of 7341 Old 08-02-2014, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member
 
vaktmestern's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,262
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Wish i had the funds for one of the 77" oleds but i sadly havent.
vaktmestern is online now  
post #5520 of 7341 Old 08-02-2014, 12:29 PM
Senior Member
 
enator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Stockholm / Sweden
Posts: 229
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5x10 View Post
Thanks for the read
I wonder how the results would have fared if they used up scaled 1080 vs 1080
Has this comparison already been written about?
I have seen 1080p BD to 4k 55" from 7' and i could see big difference so go out test yourself
5x10 likes this.
enator is offline  
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
Lg 55ea9800 Oled Hdtv , Lg
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off