LG 55EA9800 55" OLED Owner's thread - Page 185 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #5521 of 7202 Old 08-02-2014, 02:03 PM
Super Moderator
 
DrDon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Metro Detroit
Posts: 12,985
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 326
That's enough for the bickering. Further off-topic posts may result in being banned from the thread.

Discuss the topic and not each other.
Yappadappadu likes this.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
DrDon is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #5522 of 7202 Old 08-02-2014, 02:05 PM
Advanced Member
 
5x10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 912
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post
But just the fact that LG has a 'spec' for their burn-in warning on OLED that matches the similar spec for plasma and is half of the same spec for LCD is reason to be cautious.


And anyone hinting that WOLED TVs are as mature as LED/LCD TVs belongs in the looney-bin.
That's my point, why would you be cautious of a 1 hour guideline when they give a mature LCD a two hour limit? That basically discredits the guidelines and you can see its an outright attempt of release of liability from lg
In the new oiled 55 model thread, ken states that they still limit it to one hour limit and places a frown face, followed by another member asking how they could release such a product. You don't think that's spreading disinformation?

And, what is so concerning about ir?
We both know ir isn't permanent .or it would be called burn in
And the ir on this set makes no sense at all
Lb burn in is where the middle of the screen ages faster and results in a unevenness is brightness
This tv shows a ghosting of the line where the lb and content met andit literally goes away with turning the tv off(not to mention the fact that I have to pull up a gray slide to see it)
I don't see a difference in brightness between the 2 sections

Edit: saw mod post above after posting, please delete or let me know if I need to remove this post
5x10 is online now  
post #5523 of 7202 Old 08-02-2014, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member
 
tgm1024's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 7,352
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 970 Post(s)
Liked: 1102
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5x10 View Post
That's my point, why would you be cautious of a 1 hour guideline when they give a mature LCD a two hour limit? That basically discredits the guidelines and you e its an outright attempt of release of liability from lg
In the new oiled 55 model thread, ken states that they still limit it to one hour limit and places a frown face, followed by another member asking how they could release such a product. You don't think that's spreading disinformation?

And, what is so concerning about ir?
We both know ir isn't permanent .or it would be called burn in
And the ir on this set makes no sense at all
Lb burn in is where the middle of the screen ages faster and results in a unevenness is brightness
This tv shows a ghosting of the line where the lb and content met andit literally goes away with turning the tv off(not to mention the fact that I have to pull up a gray slide to see it)
I don't see a difference in brightness between the 2 sections

Edit: saw mod post above after posting, please delete or let me know if I need to remove this post
^^^Your reply is not bickering, it's conversation.

I think the reason I would pay attention to a 1 hour limit is that it is so incredibly short. Though, I personally am not particularly worried about the manual though so much as I am about what Vinnie and thePlauge and others went through with the very early releases of this model.
fafrd likes this.

Last edited by tgm1024; 08-02-2014 at 02:28 PM.
tgm1024 is offline  
post #5524 of 7202 Old 08-02-2014, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member
 
vaktmestern's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,198
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 182
I was trying to "run" in letterbars with longer n longer sessions but at 90min a few hours later i did se the letterbar inprints showing.
vaktmestern is offline  
post #5525 of 7202 Old 08-02-2014, 02:25 PM
Advanced Member
 
5x10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 912
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaktmestern View Post
I was trying to "run" in letterbars with longer n longer sessions but at 90min a few hours later i did se the letterbar inprints showing.
Would you say the imprint was where the lb and content met? Almost like those specific pixels appeared a little brighter?
5x10 is online now  
post #5526 of 7202 Old 08-02-2014, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member
 
vaktmestern's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,198
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Was a darker inprint where the letterbars was im no exspert but for me it was like the tv was holding a charge in that top n bottom untill the tv was turned off.
vaktmestern is offline  
post #5527 of 7202 Old 08-02-2014, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member
 
fafrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 5,074
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 951
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaktmestern View Post
Was a darker inprint where the letterbars was im no exspert but for me it was like the tv was holding a charge in that top n bottom untill the tv was turned off.

So nothing more than cycling power eliminated the 'IR'?


In my own definition of 'care and feeding requirements' I would have to agree that that would not be a big deal.


Having to be conscious of what content I was watching (and for how long) and/or telling my kids that they can not play video games for more than a certain amount of time would be a different matter.
Morning5 likes this.
fafrd is offline  
post #5528 of 7202 Old 08-02-2014, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member
 
turnne1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Indianapolis Indiana
Posts: 4,284
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 849 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
And the people who spend $4,000-5,000 (or more) on a 55" HD OLED have plenty of motivations to convince themselves that 4K isn't really anything to get excited about...
do you mean the ones that got a little "heated" when the price dropped to $1999 on that TV?


Warren

Rm 1 Samsung 64F8500 Marantz 8801 prepro Sherbourn 5/1500A amp B&W CM10s..CM2 center...CM5's.rears
Rm 2 LG 47LE8500 Denon 4520 Celestion 305 speaker system
Rm 3 Samsung 51E8000 Pioneer SC37 Kef 2005.2 speaker system
Rm 4 Panasonic 50ST50 Pioneer SC77 Mirage Omni sat speaker system
turnne1 is offline  
post #5529 of 7202 Old 08-02-2014, 03:46 PM
Advanced Member
 
Morning5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 621
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5x10 View Post
That's my point, why would you be cautious of a 1 hour guideline when they give a mature LCD a two hour limit? That basically discredits the guidelines and you can see its an outright attempt of release of liability from lg
In the new oiled 55 model thread, ken states that they still limit it to one hour limit and places a frown face, followed by another member asking how they could release such a product. You don't think that's spreading disinformation?

And, what is so concerning about ir?
We both know ir isn't permanent .or it would be called burn in
And the ir on this set makes no sense at all
Lb burn in is where the middle of the screen ages faster and results in a unevenness is brightness
This tv shows a ghosting of the line where the lb and content met andit literally goes away with turning the tv off(not to mention the fact that I have to pull up a gray slide to see it)
I don't see a difference in brightness between the 2 sections

Edit: saw mod post above after posting, please delete or let me know if I need to remove this post
Thank you for sharing your honest experience, 5x10. I value the opinion of an actual OLED owner talking about his experience with his product.
Morning5 is online now  
post #5530 of 7202 Old 08-02-2014, 03:51 PM
AVS Special Member
 
turnne1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Indianapolis Indiana
Posts: 4,284
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 849 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
I think it's pretty simple. 4K will survive and they will be on most new TVs before too long. There is not much difference between the progression that occurred when we transitioned to HD and what's happening now.

But regardless of who survives in the TV manufacturing industry, whether it's the Japanese, Koreans or whomever, they will be making UHD TVs. So I don't see 4K as being the instrument to survival, just as something that's inevitable no matter who survives.

As I've said before, some of you guys were not on AVS when HD was brand new, but rest assured the arguments about survival were the same.
I was on AVS when HD was brand new

big difference between then and now

Science could readily prove the superiority of HD over SD using the the parameters of 20/20 vision

That does not exist with UHD over HD

Completely different business climate then as well. Sony , Panasonic and Toshiba ( and others) were all very profitable in their Tv business then
Profits allow companies to invest in new platforms

That does not exist today. I predict another Tv manufacturer( or two) will bow out in the next couple of years. These companies will not continue to operate in the red and few of these guys (Sony, Panasonic) have got to turn their ships around

But hey..I hope you are right
You clearly choose to ignore both science and business climate

Warren

Rm 1 Samsung 64F8500 Marantz 8801 prepro Sherbourn 5/1500A amp B&W CM10s..CM2 center...CM5's.rears
Rm 2 LG 47LE8500 Denon 4520 Celestion 305 speaker system
Rm 3 Samsung 51E8000 Pioneer SC37 Kef 2005.2 speaker system
Rm 4 Panasonic 50ST50 Pioneer SC77 Mirage Omni sat speaker system
turnne1 is offline  
post #5531 of 7202 Old 08-02-2014, 03:58 PM
AVS Special Member
 
turnne1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Indianapolis Indiana
Posts: 4,284
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 849 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by enator View Post
4K Resolution Is Visible vs 1080p on 55″ TV from 9′ Viewing Distance

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/4k-re...1312153517.htm
interesting

I have seen this article...an excerpt
regarding a 50" TV..using 20/20 vision of the human eye

"at 10 feet, your eye can't resolve the difference between otherwise identical 1080p and 720p televisions"

http://www.cnet.com/news/why-4k-tvs-are-stupid/


Warren

Rm 1 Samsung 64F8500 Marantz 8801 prepro Sherbourn 5/1500A amp B&W CM10s..CM2 center...CM5's.rears
Rm 2 LG 47LE8500 Denon 4520 Celestion 305 speaker system
Rm 3 Samsung 51E8000 Pioneer SC37 Kef 2005.2 speaker system
Rm 4 Panasonic 50ST50 Pioneer SC77 Mirage Omni sat speaker system
turnne1 is offline  
post #5532 of 7202 Old 08-02-2014, 04:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Stereodude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Detroit Metro Area
Posts: 10,405
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 833 Post(s)
Liked: 730
Is this really the right thread for this discussion?
ONDr and Masterbrew2 like this.
Stereodude is online now  
post #5533 of 7202 Old 08-02-2014, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member
 
turnne1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Indianapolis Indiana
Posts: 4,284
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 849 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas oled View Post
Most of the people who claim they are considering an OLED are full of hot air and sadly could not afford one. Not saying this is the case with you Ken. I truly wish more people could afford a OLED as they are Sooo MUCH better than anything else. I cannot wait until they are cheaper so everyone who wants one can own one.

OLED envy will continue as people read the reviews and realize if they do not own and OLED they do not own the best. I remember when I 1st saw an OLED at $9,999, I thought maybe in 4 or 5 years. Thankfully the price dropped and I am the proud owner of this incredible new technology.

OLED because anything else is second best
do you consider $1999 for a 55" TV a hugely unattainable figure for most AVS forum members?

I think far more people can afford it than will actually buy it....at its 75% off rate currently...or not

Warren

Rm 1 Samsung 64F8500 Marantz 8801 prepro Sherbourn 5/1500A amp B&W CM10s..CM2 center...CM5's.rears
Rm 2 LG 47LE8500 Denon 4520 Celestion 305 speaker system
Rm 3 Samsung 51E8000 Pioneer SC37 Kef 2005.2 speaker system
Rm 4 Panasonic 50ST50 Pioneer SC77 Mirage Omni sat speaker system
turnne1 is offline  
post #5534 of 7202 Old 08-02-2014, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member
 
turnne1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Indianapolis Indiana
Posts: 4,284
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 849 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
Is this really the right thread for this discussion?
good point
we should be discussing the value proposition and what happened to it at Microcenter...

Warren

Rm 1 Samsung 64F8500 Marantz 8801 prepro Sherbourn 5/1500A amp B&W CM10s..CM2 center...CM5's.rears
Rm 2 LG 47LE8500 Denon 4520 Celestion 305 speaker system
Rm 3 Samsung 51E8000 Pioneer SC37 Kef 2005.2 speaker system
Rm 4 Panasonic 50ST50 Pioneer SC77 Mirage Omni sat speaker system
turnne1 is offline  
post #5535 of 7202 Old 08-02-2014, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member
 
fafrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 5,074
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 951
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnne1 View Post
I was on AVS when HD was brand new

big difference between then and now

Science could readily prove the superiority of HD over SD using the the parameters of 20/20 vision

That does not exist with UHD over HD

Completely different business climate then as well. Sony , Panasonic and Toshiba ( and others) were all very profitable in their Tv business then
Profits allow companies to invest in new platforms

That does not exist today. I predict another Tv manufacturer( or two) will bow out in the next couple of years. These companies will not continue to operate in the red and few of these guys (Sony, Panasonic) have got to turn their ships around

But hey..I hope you are right
You clearly choose to ignore both science and business climate

Warren

There are another couple important differences between 'then' and now:


1/ HDTVs cost much more than 480p TVs, while 4K/UHD TVs cost essentially the same to make as 1080p/HDTVs, so the 'upgrade' cost is near zero this time around.


2/ LED/LCD has basically achieved the same economies of scale once enjoyed by only CRT, so while shifting from 480p to HDTV back then basically involved moving from a late-stage mature technology (CRT) to an early-stage immature technology (plasma or LCD), moving from HDTV to UHD essentially means getting each pixel/subpixel cut in quarters with no overall risk associated with less mature manufacturing.

And one important aspect of back then that is common with right now is that 'new' 4K/UHD TVs look better on the showroom floor than 'old' 1080p/HDTV. Last time around, the improvement in picture quality was sufficient to overcome the barriers of increased cost, while this time around, there is no real barrier of increased cost, so it's a done deal.


The train has left the station and I agree with Ken's comment - by this time next year, the only TVs promoting premium picture quality will be 4K. It doesn't matter how 'close' you need to sit to see the improvements from increased resolution.
dsinger likes this.
fafrd is offline  
post #5536 of 7202 Old 08-02-2014, 04:33 PM
AVS Special Member
 
turnne1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Indianapolis Indiana
Posts: 4,284
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 849 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post
There are another couple important differences between 'then' and now:


1/ HDTVs cost much more than 480p TVs, while 4K/UHD TVs cost essentially the same to make as 1080p/HDTVs, so the 'upgrade' cost is near zero this time around.


2/ LED/LCD has basically achieved the same economies of scale once enjoyed by only CRT, so while shifting from 480p to HDTV back then basically involved moving from a late-stage mature technology (CRT) to an early-stage immature technology (plasma or LCD), moving from HDTV to UHD essentially means getting each pixel/subpixel cut in quarters with no overall risk associated with less mature manufacturing.

And one important aspect of back then that is common with right now is that 'new' 4K/UHD TVs look better on the showroom floor than 'old' 1080p/HDTV. Last time around, the improvement in picture quality was sufficient to overcome the barriers of increased cost, while this time around, there is no real barrier of increased cost, so it's a done deal.


The train has left the station and I agree with Ken's comment - by this time next year, the only TVs promoting premium picture quality will be 4K. It doesn't matter how 'close' you need to sit to see the improvements from increased resolution.
1.whether they cost the same to make ..or not
its a moot point since you can't buy a 1080P midlevel( or lower) Tv for hundreds less than a UHD TV

BTW...I assume you are employed by one of the TV manufacturers to know that it doesn't cost more to manufacture a UHD Tv than a 1080P?

if so..your statement is still hard to believe. I cant imagine they have been able to recover their costs in R&D and new manufacturing of UHD over HD TV yet..or the savings from the economies of scale of producing a significant amount more of HD than UHD units

but do tell?

and remember...science could readily prove superiority oh HD over SD with 20/20 vision
This cant be done with any where near close to the parameters of HD vs UHD

2. Your point is somewhat invalid
as there was a significant market of projection TV's for several years that filled a price point void while the direct view TV's came down in price
SD OTA was also around for many years

3. You point of UHD looking "better" is not shared by all
read quotes from David Katzmier etc
There is an increased cost until the 3rd tier manufacturers start to crank out 4K TV's
When Walmart starts stocking the shelves with 4K Tv's that is when I think the mass market will have accepted this as something they actually want

The market for 4K Tv's right now..I would assume...is extremely small...until I see mass market acceptance

So...based on some of your comments you work for one of the TV manufacturers

will we see 4K at Walmart now?

Warren

Rm 1 Samsung 64F8500 Marantz 8801 prepro Sherbourn 5/1500A amp B&W CM10s..CM2 center...CM5's.rears
Rm 2 LG 47LE8500 Denon 4520 Celestion 305 speaker system
Rm 3 Samsung 51E8000 Pioneer SC37 Kef 2005.2 speaker system
Rm 4 Panasonic 50ST50 Pioneer SC77 Mirage Omni sat speaker system
turnne1 is offline  
post #5537 of 7202 Old 08-02-2014, 04:55 PM
Advanced Member
 
kinglm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 588
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaktmestern View Post
Current Oleds are great in many ways but they do needs loads of care n content that suits them.
Full screen 16.9
My Oled is just fine. I watch it and I don't baby it. I just enjoy it. It's a TV after all. And a fine one at that.
Ken Ross, Morning5 and kruai like this.
kinglm is online now  
post #5538 of 7202 Old 08-02-2014, 05:26 PM
AVS Special Member
 
fafrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 5,074
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 951
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnne1 View Post
1.whether they cost the same to make ..or not
its a moot point since you can't buy a 1080P midlevel( or lower) Tv for hundreds less than a UHD TV

BTW...I assume you are employed by one of the TV manufacturers to know that it doesn't cost more to manufacture a UHD Tv than a 1080P?

if so..your statement is still hard to believe. I cant imagine they have been able to recover their costs in R&D and new manufacturing of UHD over HD TV yet..or the savings from the economies of scale of producing a significant amount more of HD than UHD units

but do tell?

and remember...science could readily prove superiority oh HD over SD with 20/20 vision
This cant be done with any where near close to the parameters of HD vs UHD

2. Your point is somewhat invalid
as there was a significant market of projection TV's for several years that filled a price point void while the direct view TV's came down in price
SD OTA was also around for many years

3. You point of UHD looking "better" is not shared by all
read quotes from David Katzmier etc
There is an increased cost until the 3rd tier manufacturers start to crank out 4K TV's
When Walmart starts stocking the shelves with 4K Tv's that is when I think the mass market will have accepted this as something they actually want

The market for 4K Tv's right now..I would assume...is extremely small...until I see mass market acceptance

So...based on some of your comments you work for one of the TV manufacturers

will we see 4K at Walmart now?

Warren

Might be fun, but no, I don't work for a TV manufacturer. I do know a thing or two about manufacturing, though.


And while I rarely make it to Wallmart, I can confirm that my local Costco has started to carry 4K TV's which was an important milestone for me to accept that the 4K floodgates are now open.


Of all the transitions we have been through over the past decade or more, the transition from 1080p to 4K seems like it will be most similar to the transition from 720p to 1080p...
fafrd is offline  
post #5539 of 7202 Old 08-02-2014, 07:31 PM
Advanced Member
 
JewDaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Lawrenceville, GA
Posts: 863
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Loving my OLED more and more everyday! This tv continues to impress and I'm so glad I exchanged it for the set I have now. The yellow tint while watching content is nowhere to be found. I thought maybe I was being overly critical at first but the more I watched, the more it drove me crazy. Especially after seeing it in the store again with the yellow tint nowhere to be found.

Another thing, this has better viewing angles than my previous one. At the most extreme angle I could stand, there was little to no difference in the picture whereas my first one looked completely different from the side. OLED is the future of displays and I look forward to a larger 4K version in the future. Especially if I can snatch it at a Microcenter deal like I did this one :-)
kinglm and Morning5 like this.

JewDaddy is offline  
post #5540 of 7202 Old 08-02-2014, 09:07 PM
AVS Special Member
 
turnne1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Indianapolis Indiana
Posts: 4,284
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 849 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post
Might be fun, but no, I don't work for a TV manufacturer. I do know a thing or two about manufacturing, though.


And while I rarely make it to Wallmart, I can confirm that my local Costco has started to carry 4K TV's which was an important milestone for me to accept that the 4K floodgates are now open.


Of all the transitions we have been through over the past decade or more, the transition from 1080p to 4K seems like it will be most similar to the transition from 720p to 1080p...
interesting

I would have thought with your statements that you had some insider information on TV manufacturing

There are lot more Walmart locations than Costcos.....like a hundred times more

Comparing the two is like comparing a regional electronics retailer like ABC electronics to Best Buy

OTA( as well as most paid services) are still not 1080P...after all these years


Warren

Rm 1 Samsung 64F8500 Marantz 8801 prepro Sherbourn 5/1500A amp B&W CM10s..CM2 center...CM5's.rears
Rm 2 LG 47LE8500 Denon 4520 Celestion 305 speaker system
Rm 3 Samsung 51E8000 Pioneer SC37 Kef 2005.2 speaker system
Rm 4 Panasonic 50ST50 Pioneer SC77 Mirage Omni sat speaker system
turnne1 is offline  
post #5541 of 7202 Old 08-02-2014, 09:36 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Wizziwig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: SoCal, USA
Posts: 1,418
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by enator View Post
4K Resolution Is Visible vs 1080p on 55″ TV from 9′ Viewing Distance

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/4k-re...1312153517.htm
So as not to take this thread any further off-topic, I will only post this one quote from the hdtvtest article. People should really read the whole thing and draw their own conclusions as to the validity of their results.

Quote:
we had some difficulty matching the displays such that resolution was the only difference, even with full calibration.
The conclusion was also interesting:

Quote:
Last but not least, resolution is only one of the many attributes of picture quality, and not the most important one. Amongst the swarm of 4K televisions on exhibit, it was actually a full HD 1080p set – the LG 55EA980W OLED TV – that hogged the attention of those attending the event, largely due to its ability to render true 0 cd/m2 blacks, contributing to an unrivalled contrast performance (which most video enthusiasts agree is the principal determinant of image quality). Ok, its unfathomably slim panel and subtly curved design probably turned more than a few heads too.
Morning5, 5x10 and wandering_star like this.
Wizziwig is offline  
post #5542 of 7202 Old 08-03-2014, 12:28 AM
AVS Special Member
 
vaktmestern's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,198
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 182
All good but Oled and 4k is sudenly the best of 2 worlds ..
Ken Ross and fafrd like this.
vaktmestern is offline  
post #5543 of 7202 Old 08-03-2014, 03:51 AM
Senior Member
 
Masterbrew2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 355
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaktmestern View Post
Like the design on the new Lg oled tvs will be more easy to get a tv table i like.
Which model are you going for now? You had the EA9700 returned and got your money back, right?
Masterbrew2 is offline  
post #5544 of 7202 Old 08-03-2014, 04:07 AM
AVS Special Member
 
vaktmestern's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,198
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterbrew2 View Post
Which model are you going for now? You had the EA9700 returned and got your money back, right?
65" 4k if the prices here aint to insaine.
vaktmestern is offline  
post #5545 of 7202 Old 08-03-2014, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member
 
grizzledbiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 1,628
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 833 Post(s)
Liked: 297
I see the EC9300 is on sale at BB. Although still a pre-order. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-55-cl...&skuId=7846019 Obviously priced to sell. It is very tempting.

Last edited by grizzledbiker; 08-03-2014 at 07:55 AM.
grizzledbiker is offline  
post #5546 of 7202 Old 08-03-2014, 08:59 AM
Advanced Member
 
5x10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 912
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzledbiker View Post
I see the EC9300 is on sale at BB. Although still a pre-order. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-55-cl...&skuId=7846019 Obviously priced to sell. It is very tempting.
Wow, very good price on the new model
Good news for all interested in oled, prices are coming down!
Morning5 likes this.
5x10 is online now  
post #5547 of 7202 Old 08-03-2014, 09:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Ken Ross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: N.Y.
Posts: 25,852
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2187 Post(s)
Liked: 2157
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnne1 View Post
I was on AVS when HD was brand new

big difference between then and now

Science could readily prove the superiority of HD over SD using the the parameters of 20/20 vision

That does not exist with UHD over HD
I and others disagree. My own eyes show the obvious superiority and the cited research showed that 49 out of 50 could recognize 4K on a screen size and distance where 'science' says it could not. Look, I have a science background and would never argue with 'good' science, but there are times when not all science is 'good' (especially these days when science tends to do 180s all the time). What's important to me is that to my eyes the 4K image is easily recognizable at sizes and distances I will entertain in my own home and 49 out of 50 were able to see it on sizes and distances where the 'science' says it shouldn't. I'll take that over a chart where there are too many variables to take that chart as the gospel.

The bottom line is you can't see the difference, so don't buy it. No brainer. I can see the difference and thus I do intend to buy it. No brainer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnne1 View Post
Completely different business climate then as well. Sony , Panasonic and Toshiba ( and others) were all very profitable in their Tv business then
Profits allow companies to invest in new platforms

That does not exist today. I predict another Tv manufacturer( or two) will bow out in the next couple of years. These companies will not continue to operate in the red and few of these guys (Sony, Panasonic) have got to turn their ships around

But hey..I hope you are right
You clearly choose to ignore both science and business climate

Warren
Yes, I agree it is a different business climate, but you missed my point. Regardless of who is left standing in the TV business, the Koreans, the Japanese or the Chinese, 4K will be part of the display equation. Bet on it. And, as has been mentioned, the other difference is the far lesser cost of UHD TVs than HDTVs of the time.

As for 'ignoring science', I've already told you I don't believe one chart is the final word on the 'science' behind being able to see 4K. The cited research, review after review and my own eyes (as well as many others) say otherwise.

As I said, we're beating a dead horse here. If you can't see it, don't buy it, if you can then it's certainly worth considering.
fafrd likes this.
Ken Ross is offline  
post #5548 of 7202 Old 08-03-2014, 09:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Ken Ross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: N.Y.
Posts: 25,852
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2187 Post(s)
Liked: 2157
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post
Might be fun, but no, I don't work for a TV manufacturer. I do know a thing or two about manufacturing, though.


And while I rarely make it to Wallmart, I can confirm that my local Costco has started to carry 4K TV's which was an important milestone for me to accept that the 4K floodgates are now open.


Of all the transitions we have been through over the past decade or more, the transition from 1080p to 4K seems like it will be most similar to the transition from 720p to 1080p...
Bingo. Every Costco I've been to has Samsung UHD TVs prominently displayed. I'm sure once the first UHD TV appears at Walmart, some will argue "well, it's only one model". And on it goes. It's rapidly getting to the point where the UHD TVs will be outnumbering the HDTVs at BB.

It's hard to believe anyone can be arguing against the inevitability of 4K. You don't have to like it, but it is coming like it or not. I'll never understand why some appear to be opposed to an improved technology, but it's not the first time I've seen this.
fafrd likes this.
Ken Ross is offline  
post #5549 of 7202 Old 08-03-2014, 09:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Ken Ross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: N.Y.
Posts: 25,852
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2187 Post(s)
Liked: 2157
Quote:
Originally Posted by JewDaddy View Post
Loving my OLED more and more everyday! This tv continues to impress and I'm so glad I exchanged it for the set I have now. The yellow tint while watching content is nowhere to be found. I thought maybe I was being overly critical at first but the more I watched, the more it drove me crazy. Especially after seeing it in the store again with the yellow tint nowhere to be found.

Another thing, this has better viewing angles than my previous one. At the most extreme angle I could stand, there was little to no difference in the picture whereas my first one looked completely different from the side. OLED is the future of displays and I look forward to a larger 4K version in the future. Especially if I can snatch it at a Microcenter deal like I did this one :-)
That's good to hear, congrats. It's weird the viewing angles would be better.

Did you check your manufacturing date of the new set vs the old one?
Ken Ross is offline  
post #5550 of 7202 Old 08-03-2014, 09:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Ken Ross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: N.Y.
Posts: 25,852
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2187 Post(s)
Liked: 2157
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnne1 View Post
OTA( as well as most paid services) are still not 1080P...after all these years


Warren
IMO it makes little sense for broadcasters or paid providers to transmit 1080p when the deinterlacing in today's TVs is so good. You would gain very little.
Ken Ross is offline  
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
Lg 55ea9800 Oled Hdtv , Lg
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off