post #541 of 6801 Old 03-17-2014, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 708
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

The flat model is 55EA8800. The curved model # is only different by 1 character, 55EA9800. I'm thinking the flat model from Norway has the same innards as the flat one ("Gallery") that is finally reaching these shores (now available from Adorama).

Careful about price talk, folks. You are running the risk of getting a beatdown (speaking from experience here earlier in this very thread).

Vinnie, are these 'no price-talk' guidelines published somewhere on the Forum?

Is it any price-related posting at all or only price talk tied to specific vendors (i.e.: 'you can now find this great price at this online retailer')?

I've been posting quite a bit about price trends in the 55"-and-above flat panel market this year with specific examples of major 'out-of-the-chute' price discounts like the Sharp SQ - I enjoy the Forum but I sure hope that is not considered an off-limits subject...

Anything you can point me to to learn more about the Forum policies on price-talk appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 6801 Old 03-17-2014, 11:22 AM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1011
That's a good question. I think street price is what is prohibited. SRP is allowed. Still, there has been much in the way of street price chatter since, so there is really no rhyme or reason to how this is enforced. Given the price of this panel is in significant flux, it seems they've relented on the rules somewhat. I wish they would reverse my infraction.
post #543 of 6801 Old 03-17-2014, 11:44 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 472
Quote:

That's a good question. I think street price is what is prohibited. SRP is allowed. Still, there has been much in the way of street price chatter since, so there is really no rhyme or reason to how this is enforced. Given the price of this panel is in significant flux, it seems they've relented on the rules somewhat. I wish they would reverse my infraction.
The rules on discussing prices for the Pioneer Kuro threads were changed once Pioneer went out of production. I suppose the Panasonic threads might be treated in a similar way. I got carried away with the OLED prices because they reflect how fast LG is trying to establish a market, as apposed to where can one get the best deal. I have no interest in finding an OLED deal right now, but what's happening in the OLED market is very interesting.

I edited the price information out of my posts here in the owner's thread because you reminded me that it is an owner's thread even though there aren't enough owners to have much of a discussion. smile.gif

The thread associated with the performance of the LG OLED that's linked on the AVS home page has price information in it as an indication of how aggressive LG appears to be about this market.

NOTE: Then there is always the signature area at the bottom of Cleveland Plasma's posts. wink.gif
post #544 of 6801 Old 03-17-2014, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

Quote:

The rules on discussing prices for the Pioneer Kuro threads were changed once Pioneer went out of production. I suppose the Panasonic threads might be treated in a similar way. I got carried away with the OLED prices because they reflect how fast LG is trying to establish a market, as apposed to where can one get the best deal. I have no interest in finding an OLED deal right now, but what's happening in the OLED market is very interesting.

I edited the price information out of my posts here in the owner's thread because you reminded me that it is an owner's thread even though there aren't enough owners to have much of a discussion. smile.gif

The thread associated with the performance of the LG OLED that's linked on the AVS home page has price information in it as an indication of how aggressive LG appears to be about this market.

NOTE: Then there is always the signature area at the bottom of Cleveland Plasma's posts. wink.gif

Are these 'rules' / 'guidelines' / 'policies' published anywhere?
post #545 of 6801 Old 03-17-2014, 02:09 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post

Quote:

Of course. Everyone is ask to read them when the become members in order to post. Do you want me to look them up for you? wink.gif
post #546 of 6801 Old 03-17-2014, 02:27 PM

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 180
All I want to know is when is cleveland plasma going to get the flat OLED in and will the price be competitive with it's curved version.
post #547 of 6801 Old 03-17-2014, 02:29 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Of course. Everyone is ask to read them when the become members in order to post. Do you want me to look them up for you? wink.gif
I just took my own advise and read the AVS "Terms of Service" and I didn't find what I remember to be the rules against posting street prices. I will ask higher powers.
post #548 of 6801 Old 03-17-2014, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

Is that a joke or not?

If you are not kidding, I actually would appreciate any link you can provide.

I joined AVS in 2002 and honestly, if there were any policies communicated to me at that time, they have disappeared since then into the fog and mist of my aging brain... biggrin.gif
post #549 of 6801 Old 03-17-2014, 02:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I just took my own advise and read the AVS "Terms of Service" and I didn't find what I remember to be the rules against posting street prices. I will ask higher powers.

Careful - you're going to be one of my heroes soon... biggrin.gif

Seriously, thanks for the effort - I see that you joined only 3 months after me (though with an average of over 2000 posts per year versus my average of under 100, you are clearly far and away the senior member between us biggrin.gif)
post #550 of 6801 Old 03-17-2014, 02:39 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcoupe2003 View Post

All I want to know is when is cleveland plasma going to get the flat OLED in and will the price be competitive with it's curved version.
They don't have that information or it would be posted here at AVS.
post #551 of 6801 Old 03-17-2014, 02:53 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked: 351

AVS has never been about prices or bargain hunting, but MSRP prices are used for comparisons and segregation of product lineups.

We also added the various "deals" sub-forums not too long ago for those cases where street price discussion needs to happen.

Mike Lang
Administrator
Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.
Join the AVS Club and help support the site. Help Support AVS Forum Sponsors.
post #552 of 6801 Old 03-17-2014, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lang View Post

AVS has never been about prices or bargain hunting, but MSRP prices are used for comparisons and segregation of product lineups.

We also added the various "deals" sub-forums not too long ago for those cases where street price discussion needs to happen.

Mike, I appreciate your post. We can take this into a private PM discussion if you would like, but I would just like assurance that discussions of industry pricing trends including some examples of currently available and evolving street prices is 'within bounds'

My posts regarding the trends I see this year as far as street pricing are not intended to fuel bargain hunting or promote any one vendors pricing over anothers, but especially this year it appears that there is a big shift in market pricing which will have a major impact on the entire industry (including which brands should survive this tectonic shift and which may not).

I value my involvement on AVS Forum and would appreciate assurance that this level of 'price-talk' is an appropriate subject on the Forum and not something against Forum policy.

As an example, the Sharp SQ 1080p+/4K- product line has already been discounted as much as 35% below announced MSRP (from CES) within the first week or two of launch.

That is a very unusual development that I believe warrants discussion. Thanks to confirm that such discussion is 'within bounds' (on the thread or through a PM, whichever you feel is more appropriate).
post #553 of 6801 Old 03-17-2014, 03:26 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked: 351

Owners threads and product threads here are intended to be about that product at any price...whether you preordered at a premium or waited a year for a closeout.

We created the segregated deals areas after more than a decade of an "MSRP Only" policy.

Those deals forums are where any discussions focused on pricing should go. We used to be very strict about MSRP only but have since provided an outlet where the topic of street prices can be addressed while maintaining the spirit of what AVS has always been about.

Thanks

Mike Lang
Administrator
Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.
Join the AVS Club and help support the site. Help Support AVS Forum Sponsors.
post #554 of 6801 Old 03-17-2014, 05:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lang View Post

Owners threads and product threads here are intended to be about that product at any price...whether you preordered at a premium or waited a year for a closeout.

We created the segregated deals areas after more than a decade of an "MSRP Only" policy.

Those deals forums are where any discussions focused on pricing should go. We used to be very strict about MSRP only but have since provided an outlet where the topic of street prices can be addressed while maintaining the spirit of what AVS has always been about.

Thanks

Mike, I appreciate this additional detail and the last thing I want to do would be anything considered against Forum policy.

That being said, I think I am representative of many Forum members struggling with the decision to buy into OLED now versus buy a placeholder LED/LCD for another 2-3 years while OLED continues to mature and prices improve. So that discussion of OLED at price $xxxxx versus some LED/LCD at price $yyyy is really a much more central and broad-reaching topic and not really related to bargain hunting at all.

This is an owners thread, so I can absolutely respect that only owners should post here (meaning I should not biggrin.gif ), but I see many non-owners posting on this thread with questions for owners and a lot of advice that "now is the time to 'jump in' to OLED". If that kind of posting is appropriate for an owner's thread, I would think that other perspectives on the same question would be as well, but in the end I will accept whatever advice you have for me.
post #555 of 6801 Old 03-17-2014, 05:07 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1011
For a bedroom, it's definitely the time. If you already have a set greater than 55" and want something for a main room viewing environment, waiting is a good idea (IMO). wink.gif
post #556 of 6801 Old 03-17-2014, 07:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Liked: 653
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcoupe2003 View Post

I would not hold your breath, they are on there way, no pricing yet. The good news is I will have pricing more than likely before the curved units are gone or go up in price.
post #557 of 6801 Old 03-17-2014, 08:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

Fry's has theirs protected by a chain and a "Please Do Not Touch" sign. biggrin.gif

My Fry's has the same thing. I found it pretty funny. I'll just have to keep touching my set any old time I like smile.gif

Robbin
post #558 of 6801 Old 03-18-2014, 01:47 AM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

I would not hold your breath, they are on there way, no pricing yet. The good news is I will have pricing more than likely before the curved units are gone or go up in price.

In Europe the Gallery model has been more expensive than the curved. I'm guessing it's because of the big frame which doubles as a speaker.

LG 55EA9700 OLED
post #559 of 6801 Old 03-18-2014, 10:44 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterbrew2 View Post

In Europe the Gallery model has been more expensive than the curved. I'm guessing it's because of the big frame which doubles as a speaker.
Adorama and ve seem to have it for sale already. The price is $6500 ouch.
post #560 of 6801 Old 03-19-2014, 06:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterbrew2 View Post

I think in Europe the gallery model was out last year......This year they are bringing it to America.
post #561 of 6801 Old 03-20-2014, 03:45 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
"I think in Europe the gallery model was out last year......This year they are bringing it to America"

Correct we now have three models in Holland:

55EA9809 = curved model on stock

55EA8809 = gallery model on stock

55EA9709 = new curved model not yet on stock

Tuurtje
post #562 of 6801 Old 03-20-2014, 08:23 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 490
Quote:

Yes.......

http://www.avsforum.com/t/478229/plasma-forum-rules-msrp-pricing-only-no-retail-links-must-read-before-you-post/0_60#post_4758866

http://www.avsforum.com/t/488095/plasma-forum-rules-msrp-only-no-retail-links-no-coupons-must-read-before-you-post/0_60#post_4883668
fafrd likes this.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #563 of 6801 Old 03-20-2014, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks - that was helpful. More than 10 years old but I assume current policy is the same. Seems like general price talk and 'range of prices' is OK as long as you are not promoting specific vendors nor providing links to specific retailers.
post #564 of 6801 Old 03-20-2014, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 568 Post(s)
Liked: 896
Quote:

Thanks - that was helpful. More than 10 years old but I assume current policy is the same. Seems like general price talk and 'range of prices' is OK as long as you are not promoting specific vendors nor providing links to specific retailers.

I do think there is some lee-way on brand-new technologies when the subject matter is specifically whether or not the price point will keep them from surviving.

Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent. Unless, of course, it's to keep someone from creating a phone video in portrait mode, in which case it's a pretty good first step. Portrait mooks: KNOCK IT OFF.
post #565 of 6801 Old 03-20-2014, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

post #566 of 6801 Old 03-20-2014, 04:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

Sweet news !! The 55EA8800 are just a hair over the 55EA9800 price !!

That is sweet news.

MSRP on the 55ea8800 was $10,000 - can we assume from your statement that this OLED is now available at a discount of close to 54% (street price close to 46% of MSRP)?

Any idea as to what this might mean for the street price of the 65" by the end of the year?
post #567 of 6801 Old 03-21-2014, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 221
What is the expected price of the 65" 4k? I'm dieing to get me some full 1080p Passive 3D as the 3D on the LG is the best I've ever seen. Just watched Micro Monsters and Frozen and the combination of passive and infinite contrast gives me mind boggling good 3D. Just have to sit farther back then I'd normally because of the half res. Even with the reduced resolution, the 3D is way better then any other TV or projector I've owned.

Also watched Walking with Dinosaurs 3D and it's a new reference disc for 3D! Forget Avatar and Life of Pi. Just a tip for watching it, make sure to go into the special features and play just the soundtrack and sound effects track. This movie has some of the worst dialogue ever recorded on film, and it really ruins the experience. The good thing is the dinosaurs don't move thier mouths when then talk, so playing it without dialogue is MUCH better and much more natural as the story is very simple and doesn't require it.
post #568 of 6801 Old 03-21-2014, 04:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 600
I have to concur about the 3D on the LG OLED. I've never seen better anywhere.

I don't really know what the 65" 4K will cost, but I could imagine a list of $13,000 and a street of $9,999...

Hoping for less is not a terrible idea. Expecting much less probably is.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working. (Oh, and plasma didn't die because of logistics problems, nor does OLED ship in big boxes because it comes from Korea.)
post #569 of 6801 Old 03-21-2014, 06:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 221
I hope Chris from Cleveland keeps us up to date, to the second biggrin.gif
post #570 of 6801 Old 03-22-2014, 01:22 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Yes I can't wait to get my hands on one of them bad boys smile.gif)) !!! I have had the lg 65la9700 and 4k is glorious on it I could just imagine a oled 4k !!!! Fortunately mine got returned because of panel related issues but my next purchase will be a 4k oled no doubt about it ....... When u guys see 4k it's just mind blowing bottom like I just can imagine infinite contrast on 4k .... Someone at lg listened to our prayers !!!
vaktmestern likes this.
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
Lg 55ea9800 Oled Hdtv , Lg
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page