post #6391 of 6420 Old Yesterday, 11:58 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by boscoh View Post
Yes. Motion is terrible. I'm still trying to figure it out. See my post linked below. Otherwise this is a very, very nice set. I do not think it does anything better than a good plasma though, except maybe marginally better black levels. If I take it back, it will probably be for an F8500. If you watch a lot of sports, beware. Post
Okay, I hadn't see any word of this issue before, and that's a real concern. This set will see some regular use for football, baseball, and especially hockey. Now I'm concerned. Can anyone else chime in on this?

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6392 of 6420 Old Yesterday, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 859 Post(s)
Liked: 565
Quote:
Yeah, I might end up doing that. It's a hassle to pack it up and haul it 45min each way to Microcenter to return it and then spend more on a different TV. If I can fix this, I would like to. Just throwing it out there that at least my set has an issue with motion. I have seen motion issues mentioned in several reviews now that I've google searched it, so there's something to it.
I do not agree with motion issues. Is it perfect? no as no display is. The motion on plasma is better that was clear by the Shootout scores. If this is your number one issue the plasma is of you. I come from the world of LCD so as little soap opera effect does not bother me. Some like to set their true motion on manual zero and zero, I like it on manual 2 and 2.

Bottom line is if you can't fix what you feel is broken within a few hours you can have a plasma in your house and make yourself much happier.
post #6393 of 6420 Old Yesterday, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
Okay, I hadn't see any word of this issue before, and that's a real concern. This set will see some regular use for football, baseball, and especially hockey. Now I'm concerned. Can anyone else chime in on this?

John
I watch football , baseball and soccer all the time and have zero issues. The 9300 which has issues which judder just received the best picture ever from CNET. OLED is far superior to any display, this does not mean it's for everyone. I noticed many new owners of the 9300 are Kuro owners and they have been thrilled with their display. Microcenter has an excellent return policy and the set weighs 40 pounds and takes about 1 minute to put back in the box if you don't like it. It's really not something to lose sleep over.
post #6394 of 6420 Old Yesterday, 12:09 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post
Does the motion look better or worse with all the LG motion enhancements turned off?
It's hard to really say if it's worse, but it's different.

With TrueMotion OFF, I get some image blur and a little judder (but I really have to look for that). Apparent with blurred moving lips in close up scenes, and blurred fast moving objects such as footballs.

With TrueMotion ON, it varies. At 1/1, it used to work fine - no blur, no judder, no SOE. Then all of a sudden I started getting the screen tearing that won't go away.

I tried Judder: 0 and different settings of Blur, thinking that since Judder is barely there when its OFF, maybe I could just handle the blur and be happy. With Judder at 0, I actually get worse judder than when it's OFF - and screen tearing on top of that.

I have not been able to find a combination of settings that removes blur and judder but doesn't give me the Soap Opera Effect. On Smooth and Clear settings, the problems go away, but I get SOE.
post #6395 of 6420 Old Yesterday, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
It's hard to really say if it's worse, but it's different.

With TrueMotion OFF, I get some image blur and a little judder (but I really have to look for that). Apparent with blurred moving lips in close up scenes, and blurred fast moving objects such as footballs.

With TrueMotion ON, it varies. At 1/1, it used to work fine - no blur, no judder, no SOE. Then all of a sudden I started getting the screen tearing that won't go away.

I tried Judder: 0 and different settings of Blur, thinking that since Judder is barely there when its OFF, maybe I could just handle the blur and be happy. With Judder at 0, I actually get worse judder than when it's OFF - and screen tearing on top of that.

I have not been able to find a combination of settings that removes blur and judder but doesn't give me the Soap Opera Effect. On Smooth and Clear settings, the problems go away, but I get SOE.
Your two hour away from total f8500 bliss, If I was you that's what I would do. Screen tearing that won't go away is something nobody has reported on the the 9800 so either your set might be bad or your extremely sensitive to something and this OLED is not for you.
post #6396 of 6420 Old Yesterday, 12:15 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks for the comments Boscoh and Vegas. I just remembered reading something from the recent Cleveland Plasma calibrated tv shootout from Chad B's review, and searched for it. Here is what he had to say about motion:

"Hockey looked great, with good purity and brightness of the ice and fine motion. No dirty screen effect or ABL action was visible in that or any other programming."

Between what you've said, and Chad's comments, I think I am still on target to pick one up in the morning.

John
post #6397 of 6420 Old Yesterday, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for the comments Boscoh and Vegas. I just remembered reading something from the recent Cleveland Plasma calibrated tv shootout from Chad B's review, and searched for it. Here is what he had to say about motion:

"Hockey looked great, with good purity and brightness of the ice and fine motion. No dirty screen effect or ABL action was visible in that or any other programming."

Between what you've said, and Chad's comments, I think I am still on target to pick one up in the morning.

John
Good luck John and I would be Surprised if you do not love it.
post #6398 of 6420 Old Yesterday, 12:19 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas oled View Post
I do not agree with motion issues. Is it perfect? no as no display is. The motion on plasma is better that was clear by the Shootout scores. If this is your number one issue the plasma is of you. I come from the world of LCD so as little soap opera effect does not bother me. Some like to set their true motion on manual zero and zero, I like it on manual 2 and 2.

Bottom line is if you can't fix what you feel is broken within a few hours you can have a plasma in your house and make yourself much happier.
Yes, now that I have tried OLED I agree with that assessment of plasma having better motion. I came from plasma so I am not used to SOE, and don't like it in general. I am a technology person and really wanted an OLED. I think maybe it is just not ready for me yet. Hopefully in a couple years motion engines will be better because I'm going to need a 70"+ 4/8k screen for my media room.
post #6399 of 6420 Old Yesterday, 12:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas oled View Post
Good luck John and I would be Surprised if you do not love it.

Thanks again Vegas. I was leaning towards the F8500 prior to this, but the 9800 outperformed it in Chad's review, and the price difference is greater than a thousand dollars between the two. Not that I wouldn't pay it, if necessary, but, from everything I've read, the 9800 is THE reference set for the best available 1080P picture, and thats whats most important. And, as noted previously, I'll just change the viewing distance from the 8 feet or so for the 65", to 4-5 for the 9800 and the point should be almost moot. At least I hope so.

John
post #6400 of 6420 Old Yesterday, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks again Vegas. I was leaning towards the F8500 prior to this, but the 9800 outperformed it in Chad's review, and the price difference is greater than a thousand dollars between the two. Not that I wouldn't pay it, if necessary, but, from everything I've read, the 9800 is THE reference set for the best available 1080P picture, and thats whats most important. And, as noted previously, I'll just change the viewing distance from the 8 feet or so for the 65", to 4-5 for the 9800 and the point should be almost moot. At least I hope so.

John
The f8500 is my favorite plasma and 8' is not too far from a 55". I'm not knocking the f8500, it is also a great display but for the Microcenter deal, why not give the OLED a try?
post #6401 of 6420 Old Yesterday, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Yes, now that I have tried OLED I agree with that assessment of plasma having better motion. I came from plasma so I am not used to SOE, and don't like it in general. I am a technology person and really wanted an OLED. I think maybe it is just not ready for me yet. Hopefully in a couple years motion engines will be better because I'm going to need a 70"+ 4/8k screen for my media room.
Good luck with your f8500, no display is perfect or ever will be its more of a matter of what your priorities in picture quality are.
post #6402 of 6420 Old Yesterday, 12:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:

John
watching Florida vs Alabama now
No motion issues and the best looking football you will see on any tv
hobbs47 and agkss like this.
post #6403 of 6420 Old Yesterday, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post
(emphasis mine):

That was my next question actually. I wonder if we can figure out a rough calender date where it never occurs ever. Is the manufacturing date on the box, or is it only available through the menu?

If there's something on the box then it means people could verify with the vendor ahead of time. Again, this assumes that the problem has been solved.

Good news on the content front of course, but content-only or not, it's the kind of thing that people want to know about. Perhaps sooner or later you might have a scene of clouds, etc., that are similar to slides.
Well, you can see the gray background pic I posted from my Feb 2014 unit in this thread. I could not detect the motherboard imprint. There was a horizontal streak that ran horizontally across the middle of the display but I don't think it was related. So it looks like maybe Jan 2014 was the last month they still had this issue?

By they way, I disagree with the assertion that issues visible in a slide never show up in content. The best you can say it that they may not show up in "most content".

Slides don't use some magical combination of colors that are reserved from being used in video content. It is only a matter of time before you run into content that looks very similar to those gray slides. I showed one example in my review pics. How common it is will depend on what you watch. I can easily see a case where you might see it every week if you watch some series shot on a set with similar dark colored walls.

As I've stated before, it is still better than 99% of LCD which tend to have issues visible on all content.
post #6404 of 6420 Old Yesterday, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
I'm planning on heading down to a "reasonably" local MicroCenter tomorrow to take advantage of the $1999.99 closeout on the 9800's. I was looking at my best options in a 65 inch set, with 4K capability, but nothing truly worthwhile is available under about $3200-3500.00. And even then, their 1080P picture quality couldn't match up to good 1080P only sets.

I really, really wish the OLED was bigger than 55", but I can always move it close enough to offset the difference between it, and a 65" at say, 8 feet. And, in the end, it just seems to be far too good a deal on a reference quality tv to pass up, and for what I'm paying, I can probably overlook 4k compatability. Can anyone think of any reason I shouldn't pull the trigger? You all own them. Thanks.

John
This is not directly related to this OLED, but have you actually confirmed that a curved TV will work for you? I was uncertain at first but after testing one, I know it's not for me. If you're single and can sit in the sweet spot, it generally looks fine. But if you have a large family, some will not get a very pleasant experience due to distortion. You might need to draw straws for who sits in the middle.
post #6405 of 6420 Old Yesterday, 01:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizziwig View Post
. It is only a matter of time before you run into content that looks very similar to those gray slides. I showed one example in my review pics. How common it is will depend on what you watch. I can easily see a case where you might see it every week if you watch some series shot on a set with similar dark colored walls.

As I've stated before, it is still better than 99% of LCD which tend to have issues visible on all content.
I find very little content that mimics slides, which is a good thing for me
post #6406 of 6420 Old Yesterday, 01:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 13
before u pack up the tv is there a frimware update? call lg and see what they say
post #6407 of 6420 Old Yesterday, 03:32 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
Some suggestions:
* Motherboard latency
* Motherboard ghosting
* Motherboard shadowing
* Ghost of motherboard (I like that one)

Shroud of Motherboard
post #6408 of 6420 Old Yesterday, 03:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I recently bought the set (from MC yesterday) and I'm a big football and hockey guy and this tv does a great job. Like mentioned before, it's not perfect, maybe plasma would handle this better but the PQ can't be touched by a plasma if you want a pic that pops. This is from a Panny S50 owner and although that's no ZT60, it's still a plasma and the PQ will never pop like an LED, let a lone an OLED so I'm willing to have great motion, ultimate pic vs ultimate motion, good/great PQ.

As for the curved look, I'm not a curved tv guy but this tv is barely curved. Sitting on all sides of the room, the curve is not an issue and it's def not a matter of drawing straws since the corner seats are not at that much of a disadvantage. Viewing angle is amazing on OLED so no one suffers like LED (flat too).

at 2k, this tv is an absolute steal. This is an OLED folks and at 55 inches, 4k won't even make a diff. I agree that 65 4k is the sweet spot (for me as well) but those will be very expensive and will likely take 3-4 years to get to 2k or less. By then you can sell this set and buy that, enjoying 4 years of OLED quality. By then 4k might actually have more content so it's a win win.

btw - this tv just turns heads. I've had some folks drop by who don't even care about TV and was like what is this. With the super super thin profile, curved look (it does look really really classy), carbon fiber back and amazing PQ, it really stands out, more than any other tv in some time.

One other thing - I'm a guy who loves pop and doesn't care if it's not technically correct, etc. Therefore when I got this set I def didn't put it on Vivid but not cinema either as I value over saturated colors. Therefore, for me, this tv is a dream as it takes that LED look and gives it true blacks (Kuro, ZT, etc) and hopefully don't have to worry about IR (haven't seen any yet). I game as well and with game mode, it's not an issue. Great tv.
Ken Ross, kinglm and 5x10 like this.
post #6409 of 6420 Old Yesterday, 03:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizziwig View Post
This is not directly related to this OLED, but have you actually confirmed that a curved TV will work for you? I was uncertain at first but after testing one, I know it's not for me. If you're single and can sit in the sweet spot, it generally looks fine. But if you have a large family, some will not get a very pleasant experience due to distortion. You might need to draw straws for who sits in the middle.

Appreciate I have read about this issue with curved tv's, and seen some examples of it in person. I do recall reading quite a few comments though that it isn't really much of an issue with the 9800. I know in the Cleveland Plasma's shootout, Chad B said that "I didn't find (the curved screen) obtrusive at all even at extreme angles."

John

Last edited by John Clark; Yesterday at 03:52 PM.
post #6410 of 6420 Old Yesterday, 04:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 401
When it comes to football I enjoy the soe motion smoothing. The cable artifacts blend right into the motion smoother artifacts anyway.
post #6411 of 6420 Old Yesterday, 04:37 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Pics???

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5x10 View Post
watching Florida vs Alabama now
No motion issues and the best looking football you will see on any tv
Can you post some pics of some football?
post #6412 of 6420 Old Yesterday, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillietalls View Post
See post number 8

LG 55EA9800 55" OLED Owner's thread
post #6413 of 6420 Old Yesterday, 05:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillietalls View Post
Sorry, but my crappy iPad pics aren't going to do this tv justice
kinglm likes this.
post #6414 of 6420 Old Yesterday, 09:11 PM
Advanced Member

Do I Need to be concerned about "screen door effect" if my viewing distance is 5 feet?

John
post #6415 of 6420 Old Yesterday, 09:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Do I Need to be concerned about "screen door effect" if my viewing distance is 5 feet?

John
You really don't nene to be that close to it to enjoy it, I don't even know what a screen door effect is to answer. Congrats on you new OLED.
post #6416 of 6420 Old Yesterday, 09:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

John
You really don't need to be that close to it to enjoy it, I don't even know what a screen door effect is to answer. Congrats on you new OLED.
post #6417 of 6420 Old Yesterday, 09:24 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Dual play 3d

Anyone know if this tv has that 3d feature dual play where it simulates two different pictures on one screen? Apparently the 9300 has it but that comes with diff glasses (look more cheap) so I would expect this would have it.

ALso - can't find nhl Game Center as an app on the tv. Just confirming it is not supported b/c I thought it was by LG?
post #6418 of 6420 Old Yesterday, 10:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinglm View Post
Shroud of Motherboard
de materna tabulis stigmata
post #6419 of 6420 Old Yesterday, 11:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by delt31 View Post
Anyone know if this tv has that 3d feature dual play where it simulates two different pictures on one screen? Apparently the 9300 has it but that comes with diff glasses (look more cheap) so I would expect this would have it.

ALso - can't find nhl Game Center as an app on the tv. Just confirming it is not supported b/c I thought it was by LG?
It was listed as a feature on this set but no one has reportedly tried to use it here yet.
post #6420 of 6420 Old Today, 12:36 AM

Very sad to report that my 55ea9800 has developed 3-4 vertical lines 3 are about 1 inch in from the left and one near the middle.

Its been on for 8 hours so far, should I give it more time or try a return/repair
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
Lg 55ea9800 Oled Hdtv , Lg
Gear in this thread - 55ea9800 by PriceGrabber.com