Forum Jump: 

post #6541 of 6556 Old 09-29-2014, 08:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattopotamus View Post
At this point it seems like a matter of money and design. If you can get a 9800 for cheap, get it. If not, it comes down to which design/OS you prefer.
The webos on my 930 feels slower every day. Last night it barely responded at all and I tried both remotes. It was like running ios4 on the 3G iPhone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6542 of 6556 Old 09-29-2014, 09:09 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
After been using the 9800 for the past 2 weeks, I'm very satisfied with the TV, however I did have a few questions..

I have noticed some ghosting in some particular scenes, and which replicate every time, from last night I was watching X Men Days of future past and I noticed ghosting when Erik (Magneto) is messing with the sentients while they are on the train on the way to DC. Is there anyway to fix that, any setting that might help, sorry, I'm a noob about these things.

I also wanted to ask which burn in method are you guys using for the OLED, is the pixel jogger method fine for OLEDs too? And finally whats the best way to caliberate the display for cheap.

Thanks again guys.
post #6543 of 6556 Old 09-29-2014, 11:51 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Question to anyone that has calibrated the 9800. Has anyone noticed what effects if any does changing luminance number in the 20 point white balance. I noticed when I changed it to whatever my cd/m2 read for 100IRE, it then displayed under luminance for each IRE what my target cd/m2 was for that IRE in order to achieve whatever gamma I selected. Does anyone know if this effects anything else besides what just telling what your target cd/m2 is for that IRE, like light output etc. Also has anyone used the inner patterns instead of the outer pattern with a calibration disc.
post #6544 of 6556 Old 09-29-2014, 02:23 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Well, assuming my 55" Vizio XVT553SV sells, I'll be picking one of these up soon. The price that these can be had for is too good to pass up. I'll get one of these now, and pick up a larger OLED in a couple of years.
MGTR420 likes this.
post #6545 of 6556 Old 09-29-2014, 09:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackvette94 View Post
Hi Vegas,

How many hours on your 9800 and what picture mode and OLED light setting are you using?

Vegas, I would be interested in your response too!

John
post #6546 of 6556 Old 09-29-2014, 09:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 498 Post(s)
Liked: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
Vegas, I would be interested in your response too!

John
He took the 9800 back and now owns a 9300
Deja vu
Vegas oled likes this.
post #6547 of 6556 Old Yesterday, 06:25 AM

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5x10 View Post
Deja vu
ROFL...It never ends with that guy...I've got the 9800 sititng here next to my KRP-600M. I honestly am not sure what I am going to do, the 9800 is great, but so is the KRP-600M. Once I put my KRP-600M into Day mode, the pictures are very comparable, although the 9800 does have blacker blacks. Not sure I want to lose the extra 5" and also have to deal with the spots in NHL 15. I've got a few days left before the 30 Day return policy is up at Microcenter...I may just keep it and put it in the baby's room, it was just too damn good of a deal...
post #6548 of 6556 Old Yesterday, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2JDMBFAN View Post
ROFL...It never ends with that guy...I've got the 9800 sititng here next to my KRP-600M. I honestly am not sure what I am going to do, the 9800 is great, but so is the KRP-600M. Once I put my KRP-600M into Day mode, the pictures are very comparable, although the 9800 does have blacker blacks. Not sure I want to lose the extra 5" and also have to deal with the spots in NHL 15. I've got a few days left before the 30 Day return policy is up at Microcenter...I may just keep it and put it in the baby's room, it was just too damn good of a deal...
If you are happy with your current set, why not just take the $2k back and wait and see what next year brings. If the current pricing is any indication, we will only see OLED reduce drastically year over year. The 9300 will probably be $2000 by years end.
post #6549 of 6556 Old Yesterday, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 952 Post(s)
Liked: 617
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5x10 View Post
Deja vu
To be accurate I returned the 9800 for a Samsung oled but he Samsung had burnin so I had to get something else. I could not go back to Microcenter and say whoops, I was only kidding.

I have nothing against the 9800, they are incredible.
OC Cali microcenter probably has an open box with 108 hours and excellent uniformity for even less than $2K.

Last edited by Vegas oled; Yesterday at 08:43 AM.
post #6550 of 6556 Old Yesterday, 09:13 AM

Liked: 10
Hey guys, I picked one of these up at MC over the weekend. Love pretty much everything about it, but have a question about viewing angles. I was under the impression OLED has more or less perfect viewing angles, but whites take on a noticeable yellow tint starting around 45 degrees off center. I searched through the thread and it appears there may be some unit-to-unit variation depending on when it was manufactured, although I couldn't find anything conclusive. Is this normal? Unfortunately the seating in my living room is spread out and there's nothing I can do about it. MC is 2 hours away, so I don't want to go through the hassle of an exchange if it'll be the same. Picture looks phenomenal other than at wide angles. Haven't noticed any uniformity issues or dead sub-pixels, although I'm hesitant to look too closely. Don't want to spoil the experience.

I'm running it in ISF expert with OLED light at 35 if that makes a difference. Haven't touched any other settings other to turn off edge enhancement and TruMotion. I briefly messed around with brightness using AVS HD 709 and DVE, but the TV does some sort of auto-dimming that makes it difficult to determine the correct setting. Most pro reviews I've read leave it at 50, so that's what I've settled on for now. No doubt this thing would benefit from a professional calibration at some point down the road.

I'm a longtime reader, but infrequent poster. I really appreciate all the info you guys contribute. Keep up the good work!
post #6551 of 6556 Old Yesterday, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 231
It's the same on all units and noted on all the professional reviews. There is no documented evidence anywhere that manufacture date has anything to do with any panel problems.

Some ppl just more sensitive to color changes than others.
Vegas oled likes this.
post #6552 of 6556 Old Yesterday, 01:02 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 49
LG 55EA9800 55" OLED Owner's thread

Quote:
I did break in on my Kuro when I first bought it. Is it also necessary to do so with the 9800? I thought that was simply a plasma safety measure?

John

Nobody really knows at this stage. It's a nascent technology and there is still a lot to discover.
post #6553 of 6556 Old Yesterday, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 429
What we really need is to see the degree to which colors drift over time in the early hours of the display. If they do significantly, then it would need a 'break in' prior to calibrating in order to avoid tedious recalibrations.
Vegas oled likes this.
post #6554 of 6556 Old Yesterday, 09:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
People have mentioned not running the OLED light too high. What is "too high"? Thus far, I've not yet done any tweaking except to turn off true motion to eliminate the SOE. I've been using the "standard" setting which I really like, and it has the OLED light control set at 80. I've backed it off to 65, not knowing whether to be concerned, but being cautious. But dialing it down much more would start to eliminate the pop and incredible color panoply the set delivers which is what amazes me every moment I've watched it.

John
post #6555 of 6556 Old Yesterday, 10:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 498 Post(s)
Liked: 247
Quote:
People have mentioned not running the OLED light too high. What is "too high"? Thus far, I've not yet done any tweaking except to turn off true motion to eliminate the SOE. I've been using the "standard" setting which I really like, and it has the OLED light control set at 80. I've backed it off to 65, not knowing whether to be concerned, but being cautious. But dialing it down much more would start to eliminate the pop and incredible color panoply the set delivers which is what amazes me every moment I've watched it.

John
I share your concern, I have my oled light at 60 and contrast at 80

Out of box standard mode had oled light at 80 and contrast at 100
I also evened out the color temp at neutral and changed motion handling
For some scenes, I will pop it back up
post #6556 of 6556 Old Yesterday, 10:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 952 Post(s)
Liked: 617
Quote:

John
I really think anything but dynamic mode will be fine. The dispaly models with burnin all more than likely were set to stop mode which is dynamic.
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
Lg 55ea9800 Oled Hdtv , Lg
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page