AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked: 933
Quote:
Originally Posted by mo949 View Post
Its just the size that kills me

I didn't buy a kuro when they were doing well because of their sizes as well - feels like the same thing is happening all over again!
Good times are coming Mo!

Java developers, when I saw what has been placed into Java 8 I was immediately reminded of how I've spent so much of my life trying to protect engineers from themselves. Lambda expressions are a horrible idea. Gentlemen: the goal isn't to make code readable for a competent mid-level engineer. The goal is to make code readable for a competent mid-level engineer exhausted and hopped up on caffeine at 3 am. What a disaster Java 8 is!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6662 of 6990 Old 10-13-2014, 04:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Its just the size that kills me

I didn't buy a kuro when they were doing well because of their sizes as well - feels like the same thing is happening all over again!
That's interesting, cos the size was a large factor in my decision.

I had a 65LA9700, then I bought a house which has an entertainment unit built in (which won't fit the 65". So I ended up selling it, and getting this 55EA9800 (this is my second, first had horizontal lines).

This one seems good so far,
post #6663 of 6990 Old 10-13-2014, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 584
I'm sure you and my wife would get along famously with this conversation

I have a nice piece of furniture that would fit the 77" beautifully, but am losing that argument, as in not even getting off the ground to a point where I can even talk about price
post #6664 of 6990 Old 10-13-2014, 05:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have a nice piece of furniture that would fit the 77" beautifully, but am losing that argument, as in not even getting off the ground to a point where I can even talk about price
LOL. Hang in there man!
mo949 likes this.

Java developers, when I saw what has been placed into Java 8 I was immediately reminded of how I've spent so much of my life trying to protect engineers from themselves. Lambda expressions are a horrible idea. Gentlemen: the goal isn't to make code readable for a competent mid-level engineer. The goal is to make code readable for a competent mid-level engineer exhausted and hopped up on caffeine at 3 am. What a disaster Java 8 is!
post #6665 of 6990 Old 10-13-2014, 08:26 PM

Liked: 11
Paterson N.J has 5 in stock where i bought my 9800
post #6666 of 6990 Old 10-13-2014, 09:00 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by spentan View Post
One still available at Orange County (picked up the second last one on Saturday)
Gone as of this evening. I was lucky enough to have picked up VegasOLED's return as an open box a few days ago, but haven't had the time to set it up yet.
post #6667 of 6990 Old 10-13-2014, 10:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked: 1520
Quote:

And if you get to that point, you don't talk about price. You just don't.
mo949 likes this.
post #6668 of 6990 Old 10-14-2014, 01:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by spentan View Post
That's interesting, cos the size was a large factor in my decision.

I had a 65LA9700, then I bought a house which has an entertainment unit built in (which won't fit the 65". So I ended up selling it, and getting this 55EA9800 (this is my second, first had horizontal lines).

This one seems good so far,

What were the manufacturing dates of yours? If you still have the receipts, just check the first 3 digits of serial number (YMM). I'm curious when LG stopped producing the EA9800 and switched to the EC9300. Latest date I've seen so far appears to be March (403... serial).
post #6669 of 6990 Old 10-14-2014, 06:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 565 Post(s)
Liked: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizziwig View Post
What were the manufacturing dates of yours? If you still have the receipts, just check the first 3 digits of serial number (YMM). I'm curious when LG stopped producing the EA9800 and switched to the EC9300. Latest date I've seen so far appears to be March (403... serial).
I have a June 2014. I got it at Fry's when they had a deal for $2199 and no tax in August.
Wizziwig likes this.
post #6670 of 6990 Old 10-14-2014, 07:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattopotamus View Post
I have a June 2014. I got it at Fry's when they had a deal for $2199 and no tax in August.
Thats the deal of the CENTURY!

Wish we got pricing like that in Canada

Looking at $3999.99 for the 55" curved and that was the latest drop in price ( recent week )
post #6671 of 6990 Old 10-14-2014, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 83
My friend has totally fallen in love with my 9300 but $3K is a little too much for him to spend so he is considering a 9800 . Has someone summarized the differences between them yet? He doesn't really have a chance to go see a 9800 but if it's very similar to my 9300 then that would help him decide. I didn't really consider the 9800 so I don't know much about it.
post #6672 of 6990 Old 10-14-2014, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 565 Post(s)
Liked: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by music_to_my_ear View Post
Thats the deal of the CENTURY!

Wish we got pricing like that in Canada

Looking at $3999.99 for the 55" curved and that was the latest drop in price ( recent week )
They still are selling for $1999 at Microcenter. They have been that price for a few months now. Most of the owners in this thread paid around $2200 after taxes.
post #6673 of 6990 Old 10-14-2014, 11:10 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

My serial starts with 403
Wizziwig likes this.
post #6674 of 6990 Old 10-14-2014, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked: 691
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Peterson View Post
My friend has totally fallen in love with my 9300 but $3K is a little too much for him to spend so he is considering a 9800 . Has someone summarized the differences between them yet?
As far as picture.........Identical.
post #6675 of 6990 Old 10-14-2014, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
As far as picture.........Identical.
The EA9800 cannot be wall mounted, or mounted on any 3rd party stand that requires connections from behind the screen, because there are none. You would have to shelf-mount, and that's basically gross.

Keep in mind that this is nothing to ignore even if what you want is a TV on a table. People upgrade to larger displays later on, and often like to retire their old TV to the wall in one of the bedrooms. There isn't always a large flat table just waiting for you everywhere.

Just a consideration.

post #6676 of 6990 Old 10-14-2014, 02:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Yes. The inability to wall mount the 9800 can be a serious issue. Another problem for some people might be that 3D ghosts if you're not perpendicular to the screen plane. This can be tough to accomplish in a bedroom setting without a wall mount.
post #6677 of 6990 Old 10-14-2014, 03:48 PM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:

I'm a sucker for good TV furniture. What do you have?

LG 55EA9700 OLED
post #6678 of 6990 Old 10-14-2014, 04:31 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Let me preface this by saying I've owned all things Samsung (TV, Laptop, Phone, even my Refrigerator) I just wanted to share my update of my experience after a week of being a 55ea9800 owner. I just happened to catch the "Deal of the Century" while browsing this forum last Monday (10/6) - I immediately checked for the nearest Microcenter near me and had my wife put it on hold as there were only 2 in stock. I drove the 2 hours from Pittsburgh to Cleveland to grab what was the last one as someone else was checking out with the same TV as I walked up to the cashier. I purchased the Screen Protection as well from them.\

I spent mos. debating 4K vs. OLED and it came down to me the PQ for what I'd be watching now. I'm sure once the OLED matures, Prices Drop, and 4K Content becomes more widely available - I will own one but I looked at what would be the Best PQ for me right now for the cash I had for my family to enjoy. (The Kids always wanted 3D and the passive 3D on this TV seemed to blow away my friends active 3D Samsung.)

I got it home and enjoyed the unboxing. I was pleased to find the 4 3D glasses and was surprised on how heavy it was. I was not a fan of "the curve" and never considered it but after seeing the 9300 in BestBuy 2 weeks ago, I knew I wanted this TV. I was just about to pull the trigger for $3K on Amazon for the 9800 when I saw the Microcenter post for $1999.

After I unboxed it, I immediately started to play with the settings to do my own Calibration. I prefer the THX or ISF 2 Mode with the OLED Light below 50, the Brightness around 48 and Contrast up in the 90's. I also turned off the Edge Enhancer, and switched the True Motion to User and 1 & 1.

After getting it unboxed I immediately downloaded the slides and ran though them. I noticed around 8 dead sub pixels. 2 on White, 3on Green, 2 on Red, and 1 on Blue. A few look "Lazy" or like they are on the verge of dying (Faint). I couldn't seem them during normal viewing (and from LG they are considered "acceptable")

The Picture was everything I wanted and more. Then the TV Turned Off. It was like it couldn't find a signal to my Comcast Motorola box. (This can't be happening) I had my last Samsung 1080i (yep that's an i) for 8 years until my 2 year old threw a remote at it. I used to leave that thing on for days and it still works perfect, other than some small line that formed across the bottom (below the letterbox line)

I also read all the Motion, Delay, IR issues on this forum. Enough that may have scared me away at $3500 but not at $1999. So I put LG's support to the test. Called the number and explained what was happening. The guy had NO Idea what i was saying. He said I'm sorry sir you are actually VIP Support at LG. The phone went dead and on hold for 10min, BUT then i was greeted by a VERY friendly gentleman. He said welcome to LG VIP Support and how can I help you. He was super helpful and was able to understand what i was talking about and more importantly the model of TV I was referencing. He said it was a newer Department. He said the dead pixels are "acceptable" and that if they get bothersome to call back. He said the IR rarely happens, i said well you stuck it in your manual and i see posts referring to it happening, yet you have no Pixel Jogger, Orbiter built in like you do for LG Plasmas. He said energy saver may help, the TV also dims a few mins after it sits idle (I've noticed this) and Sleep Mode Daily at say 1am will help with leaving your TV on overnight.

I said what about it turning off, He said that should not happen and an LG Corp. repairman will be at my house in 2 days. He showed up and accessed a Service menu (He said that this TV was the best he's seen in my area of Pittsburgh, he said LOOK HOW BLACK That IS!!), He also was very helpful, and after showing him the dead pixels he responded "Let us know if it becomes an issue, you can't see those from 4 foot away with normal viewing". I said fair enough I have your #, but what about it turning off.

He asked if i did the firmware updates (and I said it was yes and set to auto), he said Turn that off, he's seen too many TV's go bad when the Connection drops or lose power mid update. He then accessed the service mode again with his remote and looked at the power logs.

He saw there were errors.

POWER_OFF_BY_NO_POLLING & POWER_OFF_BY_20V_DETECT

He called into Huntsville, AL and they said it needed a new board. He said it will be overnighted and he'll be back to install it.

He came in today, turned my TV over, popped off the back and installed the new board. He had to change the Serial Number (my TV is a Jan 2014 Model), he said the new board comes with a new Serial number he had to register.
I had to go through all the firmware updates, and re-setup and re-calibrate the TV. It works fine now and hasn't yet Turned Off (Fingers Crossed)

Quick Pros and Cons:

Pros:
  • Absolutely hands down best PQ I've seen (and that's compared to 4K FALD LCD Vizio P), and the VT/GT/Panny's
  • Don't mind the curve as it's subtle ( I could see while it's off, it looks like a RED Funhouse Mirror)
  • It's soo damn Thin and sexy
  • The Blacks. The Blacks are so black that when watching a movie, and the scene is black (my daughter 5yrs old, and wife both asked what happened to the TV why did it turn off) - you couldn't even tell it was there, its an eerie black like an image is just floating in your dark room (mind you this was at night in the corner of my room, and i have no ambient light)
  • Finally the quality of the 3D surpassed my expectations.
  • LG's support won me over, quick and helpful
  • I don't notice any Judder, SOE (when i turned down True-Motion) or Lag (even when playing COD on PS4) (but could have an untrained eye)
  • The 2D to 3D mode - watching the MLB Playoffs and Monday Night football - I was impressed to see what It could do. More of a novelty but was fun for a little bit to watch in 3D.
Cons:
  • The upfront issue with screen losing connectivity to the source, and turning off
  • The dead pixels, haven't noticed any during normal viewing
  • It's heavier and almost wants to fall forward. the stand looks nice but could be better support (and it's the full width of the TV so you'll have to find a good base)
  • Not Wall Mountable (not a deal breaker for me, as I was putting it on an Entertainment stand in my Living room anyway)
  • Screen Dims sometimes too much depending on the setting, so while watching Showtime On demand (Homeland got dim and picture boring) then I hit volume up and it got bright again (not sure if there is a way to turn this off or reduce the effect)
  • IR (Haven't seen it yet, and taking precautions (LG Support Line said Turn Energy saver on to help with this and don't blow out the brightness and OLED Light, , and the LG Technician at my house said turn it off it will help with the dimming problem you are seeing
    • During the Day while my family is home, I turn to ISF 2 and it's turned way down with Energy Saver enabled - they don't mind it looks better than any TV we've owned
  • the magic remote - not a fan and didn't get a second "normal" remote in the box - it actually said "lost connection" at one point.
  • I noticed the horizontal lines someone mentioned when viewing some content online using the TV's browser
1 Week in, and I'm happy so far.

I have pics, but not enough posts to link or show them
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20141006_213959.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	168.4 KB
ID:	311466   Click image for larger version

Name:	20141010_113104 edit.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	244.7 KB
ID:	311474   Click image for larger version

Name:	20141009_191521.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	176.3 KB
ID:	311482   Click image for larger version

Name:	Blue 1.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	25.8 KB
ID:	311490   Click image for larger version

Name:	red 1.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	177.4 KB
ID:	311498  

Ken Ross, sooke, Solfan and 3 others like this.

Last edited by rayvrabel; 10-14-2014 at 04:36 PM. Reason: mention why pics aren't there
post #6679 of 6990 Old 10-14-2014, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterbrew2 View Post
I'm a sucker for good TV furniture. What do you have?
Once again, my wife would love you. She insisted on this piece (and I'm happy she did). BDI 8929ii Quad Wide in ChocoWalnut. Really good cable management schemes, hidden wheels, and ventilation built in. My receiver is known to be one of the ones that can overheat and its done beautifully in it.
post #6680 of 6990 Old 10-14-2014, 04:56 PM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Once again, my wife would love you. She insisted on this piece (and I'm happy she did). BDI 8929ii Quad Wide in ChocoWalnut. Really good cable management schemes, hidden wheels, and ventilation built in. My receiver is known to be one of the ones that can overheat and its done beautifully in it.

Very cool. A piece like that deserves to be adorned by a top of the line 77 incher.

LG 55EA9700 OLED
post #6681 of 6990 Old 10-14-2014, 04:58 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 49
^^
Wow glad things worked out for you and thanks for sharing you detailed experience working with LG support - impressive.
rayvrabel likes this.
post #6682 of 6990 Old 10-14-2014, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterbrew2 View Post
Very cool. A piece like that deserves to be adorned by a top of the line 77 incher.
Now you are invited over to the conversation!

Of course we have some very good brews for you here in SD to sample as well
post #6683 of 6990 Old 10-15-2014, 03:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayvrabel View Post
He asked if i did the firmware updates (and I said it was yes and set to auto), he said Turn that off, he's seen too many TV's go bad when the Connection drops or lose power mid update. He then accessed the service mode again with his remote and looked at the power logs.

He saw there were errors.

POWER_OFF_BY_NO_POLLING & POWER_OFF_BY_20V_DETECT

He called into Huntsville, AL and they said it needed a new board. He said it will be overnighted and he'll be back to install it.

The power loss problem appears to be quite common based on user feedback on this forum. Guess LG has a bunch of defective power supplies out there.

Your picture of the service menu also confirms what I suspected from my review and letterbox IR experience. This TV performs some kind of periodic wear compensation as seen from these service menu items:

OLED Last Compensation Done UTT: 42
OLED Compensation Count: 6
OLED Compensation Interval: 4

It would be interesting to see how many hours or days elapse between the "OLED Compensation Count" number increasing. I wonder if it's a fixed interval or based on usage/content played. In my case, it seemed to take days before it would kick in and remove the letterbox IR.
MartyGillis and rayvrabel like this.
post #6684 of 6990 Old 10-15-2014, 04:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 250
What many of us experienced is just a reboot of the TV, not complete power off.
post #6685 of 6990 Old 10-15-2014, 06:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked: 1520
Rayvrabel, nice review. The one thing that concerns me in your review is the screen dimming actually taking place during a show (you mentioned Homeland).

It makes sense to me that dimming would occur if a staic picture were up for a period of time, but through the course of a show, with frequent camera angle changes, scene cuts & fades, I'm surprised this would occur during this kind of content. I'm assuming there's no ambient light sensor engaged (I don't recall if one even exists).

Perhaps other owners could chime in here, but I don't recall reading this before.
rayvrabel likes this.
post #6686 of 6990 Old 10-15-2014, 07:34 AM

Quote:
The power loss problem appears to be quite common based on user feedback on this forum. Guess LG has a bunch of defective power supplies out there.

Your picture of the service menu also confirms what I suspected from my review and letterbox IR experience. This TV performs some kind of periodic wear compensation as seen from these service menu items:

OLED Last Compensation Done UTT: 42
OLED Compensation Count: 6
OLED Compensation Interval: 4

It would be interesting to see how many hours or days elapse between the "OLED Compensation Count" number increasing. I wonder if it's a fixed interval or based on usage/content played. In my case, it seemed to take days before it would kick in and remove the letterbox IR.

Do you think this would restore Subpixels? - I could of swore i had another Blue one out, but I did the test again last night and 1 seemed to have "come back to life"?

I also noticed the mention of a Compensation Circuit for OLED TV's from LG's Head Engineers in a recent article. - Not sure if it's the same thing. Just Google -
"Mini-Interview with 3 LG Display Researchers on OLED" I can't post the link or I would.
post #6687 of 6990 Old 10-15-2014, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post
What many of us experienced is just a reboot of the TV, not complete power off.
I actually did experience it Rebooting, not just a power off. It would go completely dark, and then I would see it restart.
My wife and I have both noticed since the board was replaced, it take a second longer to switch from SD to HDTV, Possibly giving it time to find the source.

As another Testament to their support - Both LG and the LG Tech called me to followup to see how it's performed the last 24 hours.
post #6688 of 6990 Old 10-15-2014, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
Rayvrabel, nice review. The one thing that concerns me in your review is the screen dimming actually taking place during a show (you mentioned Homeland).

It makes sense to me that dimming would occur if a static picture were up for a period of time, but through the course of a show, with frequent camera angle changes, scene cuts & fades, I'm surprised this would occur during this kind of content. I'm assuming there's no ambient light sensor engaged (I don't recall if one even exists).

Perhaps other owners could chime in here, but I don't recall reading this before.
Yes. The thing is You only notice it when you hit volume or do something. it's odd because your eyes just adjust its done over the period of I believe 4 minutes I read somewhere.
I actually never seem to realize it got that much dimmer, until I "wake it up" I did check and Energy Saver was off.

I'm going to continue playing with the Settings to see how things change/improve.

Another Note is the PC Mode - I have HDMI out of my old laptop hooked up, and it was blurry text and seemed a little distorted. I read a review last night that said to change the HDMI Label Name to PC to get 1:1 pixel mapping, and it worked. My PC Pic now looks much sharper, and i feel more comfortable using that as a source now.

When I get up to 6 posts - I can cite my sources for these things

Last edited by rayvrabel; 10-15-2014 at 07:57 AM. Reason: add a line
post #6689 of 6990 Old 10-15-2014, 09:36 AM

Liked: 2
LG 55EA9800 55" OLED Owner's thread

Thanks to this forum for providing way TMI. I made the trip to Microcenter and now own a 9800. A friend with a large car (Mine is an historic Celica.), she measured the back seat and there was plenty of room. Unfortunately she didn’t measure whether the box would fix through the door. It didn’t. The next day borrowed another friend’s SUV and brought the TV home. Unboxing was easy and it was the classiest unboxing since I got my Olympus EM-1 with was also boxed in black.
The first problem was getting the remote to work. That was way too complicated and actually had to ask for help to get it working. I finally got the remote and the set working. My first reaction was wow. Second reaction was that I want one twice as big. The first unexpected test was watching a news program that I TiVo 5 times a week. The newscaster’s face wasn’t sharper or more detailed and I don’t know how to express it except that there was noticeably more face in his face. PQ is awesome.
For now I’m trying to just enjoy the TV for now and slowly tweaking the settings. Football games had no motion problems although I had to watch one pass three times before I decided that it was simply a bad wobbly pass. Turned on the TV one time and there was an old B&W Tarzan movie, could not believe how much more better the movie looked-it was obviously in SD, but looked like HD. There is a BBC program that I enjoy in SD and whether it is poor audio or the accents, I have trouble with the dialogue through the receiver. I switched to the TV speakers and could clearly hear the dialogue. Screen reflections are very noticeable, but vanish with content playing. Haven’t streamed or tried 3D yet. The 9800 is really small compared to my old 55” and that is great for a small room. Didn’t expect this, but the TV looks great even when it is off, my old TV didn’t.
You folks have cost me some real money and so far it was well worth it. Will post another time about how bad LG’s retail marketing is.
5x10 and rayvrabel like this.
post #6690 of 6990 Old 10-15-2014, 10:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayvrabel View Post
Yes. The thing is You only notice it when you hit volume or do something. it's odd because your eyes just adjust its done over the period of I believe 4 minutes I read somewhere.
I actually never seem to realize it got that much dimmer, until I "wake it up" I did check and Energy Saver was off.
if you read a few posts here about calibration, it is mentioned that any menu popup will trigger ABL and cause screen dim.
Quote:
Another Note is the PC Mode - I have HDMI out of my old laptop hooked up, and it was blurry text and seemed a little distorted. I read a review last night that said to change the HDMI Label Name to PC to get 1:1 pixel mapping, and it worked. My PC Pic now looks much sharper, and i feel more comfortable using that as a source now.

When I get up to 6 posts - I can cite my sources for these things

We have discussed it in detail a few pages back.
rayvrabel likes this.
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
Lg 55ea9800 Oled Hdtv , Lg
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page