Old 10-18-2014, 05:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 561 Post(s)
Liked: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas oled View Post
They had seven a couple weeks ago. Love my Samsung but this is still the best buy. MC seems too be getting some excellent later builds compared to Frys. Good luck to those who purchase the 9800, might still be best LG oled. Unless you have $10k laying around.
So you ended up finding a Sammy?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2014, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1001 Post(s)
Liked: 667
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattopotamus View Post
So you ended up finding a Sammy?
Yes, it took 3 months to find one that was in good condition and affordable.
Old 10-18-2014, 10:20 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi guys, I'm really on the edge of buying this tv, cause there is a deal in my country where I can get the tv for about 2200 euro untill the end of october. I'm coming from Lcd Led Samsung ES6530S 40" and sit about 9-10feet away. Will the tv be too big ? And I like to game from time to time, absolutely no pro gramer.. But will I notice the input lag ? I read it was about 55ms with the leo test. Often camera speed test have a lower ms result. Offcourse for me Picture Quality over Input Lag. But how bad is it ? I even dont know how much input lag my current tv has in Game Mode.
Any console gamers using the tv here ?
Old 10-18-2014, 03:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoDaGreen View Post
Hi guys, I'm really on the edge of buying this tv, cause there is a deal in my country where I can get the tv for about 2200 euro untill the end of october. I'm coming from Lcd Led Samsung ES6530S 40" and sit about 9-10feet away. Will the tv be too big ? And I like to game from time to time, absolutely no pro gramer.. But will I notice the input lag ? I read it was about 55ms with the leo test. Often camera speed test have a lower ms result. Offcourse for me Picture Quality over Input Lag. But how bad is it ? I even dont know how much input lag my current tv has in Game Mode.
Any console gamers using the tv here ?
I'm no pro gamer, I play my xbox1 and 360 on it
Best looking picture ever and I don't notice the lag
I do play titanfall and cod on it, maybe I don't know what to look for but there is no degradation in pq or enjoyment, in fact, the opposite
Dark games have a new look about them

I think you will be pleased with the size, in my opinion, a curved 55 is like a flat 50-52', so your going up in size and pq
Old 10-18-2014, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoDaGreen View Post
But will I notice the input lag ?

Use the Game picture mode to reduce the lag. According to my teenage sons, this eliminated lag for them. I'm too old to experience it. But Game mode does help a lot.
Old 10-18-2014, 05:32 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post
PC label is the only thing we can find that affects outcome. And NO, unless you want to use the TV as PC monitor to view PC contents, you should not change the label to PC. Doing so turn off most of the internal processing for video which may benefit PC display, e.g. text clarity, but degrades the video quality on TV unless you have an external video processor and wish to bypass the internal video processing.

On a lot of PC monitors today you can also select different display content types. The one best for PC text display is not the best for multimedia and vice versa.
What internal processing does labeling to PC turn off? I'm experimenting with labeling to PC for blu-ray with my OPPO set to 4:4:4. All my ISF settings are still accessible.
Old 10-18-2014, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinglm View Post
What internal processing does labeling to PC turn off? I'm experimenting with labeling to PC for blu-ray with my OPPO set to 4:4:4. All my ISF settings are still accessible.
I don't know the exact detail. But as posted a few pages back by others, a lot of features will be missing or disabled once an input is labeled PC. I personally didn't bother to check it out.
kinglm likes this.
Old 10-18-2014, 06:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I don't know the exact detail. But as posted a few pages back by others, a lot of features will be missing or disabled once an input is labeled PC. I personally didn't bother to check it out.
All my settings are still accessible with PC label...watching XMen
Days of Future Past blu-ray... Crazy good PQ!

Last edited by kinglm; 10-18-2014 at 06:29 PM.
Old 10-19-2014, 01:54 AM

Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5x10 View Post
I'm no pro gamer, I play my xbox1 and 360 on it
Best looking picture ever and I don't notice the lag
I do play titanfall and cod on it, maybe I don't know what to look for but there is no degradation in pq or enjoyment, in fact, the opposite
Dark games have a new look about them

I think you will be pleased with the size, in my opinion, a curved 55 is like a flat 50-52', so your going up in size and pq
Thanks man, going to order today. The Evil Within will be great on this bad boy then.
Old 10-19-2014, 05:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
All my settings are still accessible with PC label...
I just tried. In standard mode which is what I watch, all options are disabled in Advanced Picture except for Gamma. All options are disabled in Picture Option except for Black Level. In ISF Expert mode, all options in Picture Option are disabled except for Black Level. However, options in Expert Control appear to be intact.
Wizziwig and royboy365 like this.
Old 10-19-2014, 10:33 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Update "Magic" Remote?

The 9800 comes with a Magic Remote. It's OK with me, but I noticed that since the TV was made, LG has come out with 2 new versions, the AN-MR400 and the AN-MR500.

The AN-MR400 is listed as compatible with the 9800.
Does anyone know if the AN-MR500 is compatible?

And if anyone has tried either of these remotes, I'd like to hear how they are better or worse than the one that came with the TV.

Also, I'm probably going to buy the LG-BP540, and I understand there is a compatibility potential there as well. Anyone know about that?

TIA
Old 10-19-2014, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Quote:
I just tried. In standard mode which is what I watch, all options are disabled in Advanced Picture except for Gamma. All options are disabled in Picture Option except for Black Level. In ISF Expert mode, all options in Picture Option are disabled except for Black Level. However, options in Expert Control appear to be intact.
If I remember the menu structure correctly, I think that means you can still do a full grayscale, gamma, and CMS gamut calibration? The lost options are stuff that most would disable anyway - like motion and resolution enhancement, noise filtering, dynamic contrast, etc.
Old 10-19-2014, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizziwig View Post
If I remember the menu structure correctly, I think that means you can still do a full grayscale, gamma, and CMS gamut calibration? The lost options are stuff that most would disable anyway - like motion and resolution enhancement, noise filtering, dynamic contrast, etc.
Only noise filtering and motion are disabled. Dynamic contrast, super resolution and edge enhancements are still available.
Old 10-19-2014, 02:37 PM

Liked: 10
Has anyone experienced trailing on this set? Had the TV for nearly a month now, watched countless films, and tonight during The Dark Knight Rises I experienced lots of trailing during dark sequences. Especially if the actor was walking or turning their head. I turned off TruMotion but it still persisted. Oh, and all the usual 'enhancement' features are turned off.

Last edited by MrCoops; 10-19-2014 at 02:53 PM.
Old 10-19-2014, 10:04 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Still on the fence about this. I really loved the F8500 and ST/VT panasonics...Can I assume everyone pronounces OLED as "O-Lead" I thought that because I get sick of saying L-E-D. Was at the store people didnt know what I was talking about.
Old 10-20-2014, 03:45 AM
Qaq

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
What internal processing does labeling to PC turn off?
AFAIK, PC mode switches TV to RGB input. If your [HT]PC outputs perfect RGB, PC mode is the way to go.
There are opinions from software devs that its not possible to avoid YUV > RGB conversion on PC, so whole RGB pipeline (PC + TV) looks like the best option.
One week owner here. Still can't get rid of dirty dark gray backlight ether from HDMI or USB sources. I even set OLED light to 0, but still notice ghosting from backlight. Also, I could not switch damn "smart" thing from 24 to 50, 60Hz. Any ideas?
(sorry for my poor english)

Burned by the Audio Inquisition
Old 10-20-2014, 05:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 561 Post(s)
Liked: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by pimpology26 View Post
Still on the fence about this. I really loved the F8500 and ST/VT panasonics...Can I assume everyone pronounces OLED as "O-Lead" I thought that because I get sick of saying L-E-D. Was at the store people didnt know what I was talking about.
yes

like a lead pencil.
Old 10-20-2014, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smorgasbord View Post
Does anyone know if the AN-MR500 is compatible?
I did a chat with LG and they said it was compatible, so I ordered one. I'll report back on how well it works after I get it.
Old 10-20-2014, 11:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCoops View Post
Has anyone experienced trailing on this set? Had the TV for nearly a month now, watched countless films, and tonight during The Dark Knight Rises I experienced lots of trailing during dark sequences. Especially if the actor was walking or turning their head. I turned off TruMotion but it still persisted. Oh, and all the usual 'enhancement' features are turned off.
i havent seen this, can you replicate it?
Old 10-20-2014, 05:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smorgasbord View Post
I did a chat with LG and they said it was compatible, so I ordered one. I'll report back on how well it works after I get it.
What does this remote offer over the silver one that came with the 9800? Does it also have the backlight switch?
Old 10-20-2014, 10:08 PM

Quote:
What does this remote offer over the silver one that came with the 9800? Does it also have the backlight switch?
First, it has 4 dedicated color buttons.
Being black with white labels you don't need to turn on a backlight to read it. Maybe in really dark room the backlit remote would be better. Here's a link to LG's web site for it: http://www.lg.com/us/tv-accessories/...0-magic-remote
Old 10-21-2014, 09:51 AM

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 61
A setting that might give more picture detail/sharper picture:
Please be open minded, and dont discard this without testing it by yourself:

Inside audio settings there is a Clear Voice menu. Go inside it and change the setting from 1 to 0, then disable Clear Voice, then turn off tv speakers using the external setting. In my other LG tvs, by default, the Clear Voice setting was set to 3. Please tell me if you see a difference between 1 and 0.
Old Yesterday, 06:07 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pimpology26
yes

like a lead pencil.
[/QUOTE]

Except it's Organic
Old Yesterday, 08:41 PM

So, I recently entered the market to pick up a new TV to finally replace my old Samsung LN-T4671F that I've had for a good 7 or 8 years. I wanted to go with a 65" TV with a ~3k budget, but I just noticed that the Microcenter near me has a few of these in stock for $1,999... That's a pretty damn good deal. I'm torn on whether to sacrifice the 10" and go with that deal or wait and see if the 65" becomes a bit more affordable next year. I'm not necessarily in a rush to get a new TV, but this Microcenter deal is pretty tough to pass up... Any thoughts?
Old Yesterday, 09:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1001 Post(s)
Liked: 667
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktownhero View Post
So, I recently entered the market to pick up a new TV to finally replace my old Samsung LN-T4671F that I've had for a good 7 or 8 years. I wanted to go with a 65" TV with a ~3k budget, but I just noticed that the Microcenter near me has a few of these in stock for $1,999... That's a pretty damn good deal. I'm torn on whether to sacrifice the 10" and go with that deal or wait and see if the 65" becomes a bit more affordable next year. I'm not necessarily in a rush to get a new TV, but this Microcenter deal is pretty tough to pass up... Any thoughts?
One day Micro Center will be completly out of 9800's and many people will be kicking themselves for not getting one why they could. But if your sitting 15' for the screen a 55" is not a good choice, 6-9 feet and you will not regret it.

I have owned both the 9300 and the 9800, the 9800 is a MUCH better display with much better motion and ABL. The 9300 is a step down so I would get a 9800 while I still could. Give it a try, you have 30 days.

Last edited by Vegas oled; Today at 12:18 AM.
Old Today, 12:17 AM

Question for you all. I've always owned Plasmas and this is my first time with different display tech. I'm aware of the known issues with LCD technology such as motion blur, judder etc and that the OLED is no different. So I'm learning as I go.

I have the Trumotion feature off as I'm not a fan of the technology at all, but that being said I have noticed on occasion when watching Blu Rays that the image will take on a slightly hyper real look comparable to the SOE. It then gradually goes away and everything looks filmic again. I've replayed these scenes several times and they look as intended so I know it's not the filming style. Is this common for the technology despite smoothing being off? I'm assuming the TV is trying to compensate for judder due to the refresh rate?

Like I say, it is mild, doesn't happen all the time and I can live with it, but I have a keen eye and I do notice it.

Last edited by MrCoops; Today at 02:13 AM.
Old Today, 03:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Posted earlier by others that instead of turn off the motion, you should set both fields to 0 to completely turn off motion.
Old Today, 04:48 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktownhero View Post
Well since the 65" hasn't launched yet, it's hard to surmise what pricing will do. $3k for the 65" OLED in the next 6-12 months seems awfully aggressive considering recent reports indicating continued launch delays in the 65EC9700 thread (LG 65EC9700 65 OLED Anticipation thread). Of course, the same could have been said about pricing on the 55EA9800 when it launched, I suspect. Your question regarding size is a matter of preference, and as Vegas OLED says it depends on how far you are sitting.

When doing research, make sure you read plenty of reviews (both user and expert). I'd also caution that when reading user reviews, make sure to take things with a grain of salt. Some folks' opinions seem to change daily.

Tags
Lg 55ea9800 Oled Hdtv , Lg
Gear in this thread