LG 55EA9800 55" OLED Owner's thread - Page 226 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #6751 of 7341 Old 10-23-2014, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member
 
tgm1024's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 8,197
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1451 Post(s)
Liked: 1410
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5x10 View Post
its the old size vs pq debate
in terms of pq, the oled will smash any lcd, but, i do understand the size dilema
i have a 65 in my living room and theres now way i could go down to a 55 due to the distance away from the screen
in my game room, i moved my couch a couple of feet closer to the tv, to maximize the pq of the tv
still love this tv, my wife and i have moved all of our dvr timers into the front room and watch tv in there now

Never forget to employ the JSC technology.

What do you call a Harley that doesn't leak oil?
Out of oil.
tgm1024 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #6752 of 7341 Old 10-23-2014, 10:18 AM
Advanced Member
 
5x10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 986
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 588 Post(s)
Liked: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post
Never forget to employ the JSC technology.
only problem with that tech is the wife, "whys the couch so far from the wall, blah blah blah"
but, once she started watching, never heard another complaint
royboy365 and tgm1024 like this.
5x10 is offline  
post #6753 of 7341 Old 10-23-2014, 10:30 AM
Advanced Member
 
JoeBel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: CT
Posts: 578
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktownhero View Post
So, I recently entered the market to pick up a new TV to finally replace my old Samsung LN-T4671F that I've had for a good 7 or 8 years. I wanted to go with a 65" TV with a ~3k budget, but I just noticed that the Microcenter near me has a few of these in stock for $1,999... That's a pretty damn good deal. I'm torn on whether to sacrifice the 10" and go with that deal or wait and see if the 65" becomes a bit more affordable next year. I'm not necessarily in a rush to get a new TV, but this Microcenter deal is pretty tough to pass up... Any thoughts?
I was in a similar situation as I bought the Gen 2 OLED 55" and brought it home, downsizing from a 60" Sharp. I felt the curve of the TV actually made it seem smaller than a regular 55" flat and although I tried, I couldn't live with the downsize. With TV's, especially because of my bad vision, I always have to go bigger, many say that too. So, I brought it back and got a nice 65" Sammy which I'm perfectly happy with.

Don't get me wrong I love OLED and it's a beautiful tech but the size really took me out of the "immersion" especially with the 2:35:1 content it seemed tiny. BTW I sit roughly 8ft-9ft back and I do have bad vision, far from 20/20. Just my two cents!
JoeBel is offline  
post #6754 of 7341 Old 10-23-2014, 10:39 AM
Advanced Member
 
ktownhero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 817
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBel View Post
I was in a similar situation as I bought the Gen 2 OLED 55" and brought it home, downsizing from a 60" Sharp. I felt the curve of the TV actually made it seem smaller than a regular 55" flat and although I tried, I couldn't live with the downsize. With TV's, especially because of my bad vision, I always have to go bigger, many say that too. So, I brought it back and got a nice 65" Sammy which I'm perfectly happy with.

Don't get me wrong I love OLED and it's a beautiful tech but the size really took me out of the "immersion" especially with the 2:35:1 content it seemed tiny. BTW I sit roughly 8ft-9ft back and I do have bad vision, far from 20/20. Just my two cents!
I feel like our situations are about the same. The last thing I want to do is rush to buy something just because of a deal and not end up with exactly what I want. I'm going to see what happens over the upcoming months and if need-be I'll just spend that 3k on a killer 65" LED.
ktownhero is online now  
post #6755 of 7341 Old 10-23-2014, 11:46 AM
Senior Member
 
maxBR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 200
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I think the bezel also contributes to the illusion that the size of the screen is smaller. I replaced a 50" plasma with the 9800 and even though i went up in size the screen feels a bit smaller. The plasma has a 3" black bezel on all sides.
5x10 likes this.
maxBR is offline  
post #6756 of 7341 Old 10-23-2014, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Mattopotamus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,382
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 627 Post(s)
Liked: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktownhero View Post
So, I recently entered the market to pick up a new TV to finally replace my old Samsung LN-T4671F that I've had for a good 7 or 8 years. I wanted to go with a 65" TV with a ~3k budget, but I just noticed that the Microcenter near me has a few of these in stock for $1,999... That's a pretty damn good deal. I'm torn on whether to sacrifice the 10" and go with that deal or wait and see if the 65" becomes a bit more affordable next year. I'm not necessarily in a rush to get a new TV, but this Microcenter deal is pretty tough to pass up... Any thoughts?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktownhero View Post
I feel like our situations are about the same. The last thing I want to do is rush to buy something just because of a deal and not end up with exactly what I want. I'm going to see what happens over the upcoming months and if need-be I'll just spend that 3k on a killer 65" LED.
If you need a new TV jump on the deal. If you have a good TV now, wait. The longer you hold out the bigger the benefit and the more choices you will have.
Vegas oled likes this.
Mattopotamus is offline  
post #6757 of 7341 Old 10-23-2014, 02:03 PM
Advanced Member
 
JoeBel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: CT
Posts: 578
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktownhero View Post
I feel like our situations are about the same. The last thing I want to do is rush to buy something just because of a deal and not end up with exactly what I want. I'm going to see what happens over the upcoming months and if need-be I'll just spend that 3k on a killer 65" LED.
Yes, I did do it on a whim as I was able to PM BestBuy to a sponsors price of the Gen 2 so I was "in the moment". When I fired that beauty up I was super impressed by the PQ but for my "main" set I just couldn't get over the loss of size. Sad thing is my vision is bad enough that my 65" Sammy LED looks just as nice to a point I guess that's one place my bad eyes are a benefit to my wallet.

I absolutely would love to get a 65" OLED someday when they come down in price, if how quickly the 55" have dropped is any estimation that would be great. Best of luck with whatever you decide. IMO the 9800 is an absolute steal as a bedroom set. If I had more funds I would grab one in a second!
Vegas oled likes this.
JoeBel is offline  
post #6758 of 7341 Old 10-24-2014, 08:59 PM
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Ozarks
Posts: 144
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Over in the calibration forum, Tom Huffman just landed one of these, and in spite of its uniformity imperfections (to which we can all attest), this is his new reference standard, now replacing his Kuro 9th gen.
vultur is offline  
post #6759 of 7341 Old 10-24-2014, 09:27 PM
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Ozarks
Posts: 144
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 55
I'm going to quote those impressions here since they are pertinent and Huffman was almost convinced after reading a negative review that it couldn't possibly live up to his lofty expectations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomHuffman View Post
I have got to say that this review sapped some of my enthusiasm for OLED. It seems to fail in non-trivial areas of performance in ways that plasmas do not. In particular, I find the observed poor white field uniformity to be very troubling. Also, the black crush and attendant loss of shadow detail is of concern. Add to that the poor off-axis viewing, high price, and the inability to mount to a wall this is starting to look like a step backward from plasma in just about every area except contrast, an aspect of performance in which plasmas have gotten very good.
After getting one:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomHuffman View Post
I finally got my hands on a LG OLED. It is last year's model, the 55EA9800. Here are some of my impressions.

First, regarding uniformity the bad news is that it is not very good. The good news is that this is visible only with test patterns. I couldn't see it at all with normal program material. I also found the off-axis viewing not great, but it was a little more noticeable with program material. At 23-degrees off-axis the colors looked flatter and less rich. See measurements below.



Regarding shadow detail, the only problem I found was that you have to be careful setting up the levels. The Sound and Vision recommended a setting of 50 (the default) for the brightness control, which crushed black. I found that 52 was the best setting, which yielded excellent shadow detail.

Regarding color, with the Gamut set to BT709 the color really needed no calibration. A LUT calibration on this display would be a waste of time. dE values throughout the color space are around 1.0, with a few outliers in the low 2's.

The 20pt grayscale also wasn't necessary. Using the 2-point yielded very good results. I tweaked 10% and 30% a little using the Lumagen. Gamma is consistently in the 2.2-2.3 range.

One setting that has not got a lot of attention--but which I found to be very important--was the OLED Light control. The default is 50, but at this level colors appeared exaggerated and blown out, though (interestingly) they measured fine. Set to 25, the image took on a very natural, silky smooth appearance.

The curved screen didn't hurt anything, but it didn't add anything either. It is subtle enough that you don't really notice it. The biggest drawback from this is that it precludes a wall mount installation.

The ISF Expert is the only Picture mode you should use. The THX mode has the same default values but you are locked out of a lot of the calibration controls.

I guess I agree with the consensus that the LG OLED offers the best image I have ever seen, at least with flat panels (I haven't seen the Samsung). I still think that the 4K Sony VPL-W1100 front projector provides the most impressive image overall. The LG replaces my personal reference display, the 9th generation Pioneer Kuro. The LG is sharper with superior black levels and better depth. In its uncalibrated state the LG's color is a HUGE step-up from the Pioneer, which requires an LUT calibration to look really good.

If LG can fix the white field uniformity problem, which I think is inexcusable, and improve the off-axis viewing this would be essentially a perfect display. An affordable 4K version would land us in TV heaven. I suspect it is only a matter of time. The 2K version is surprisingly affordable now.
Rough around the edges but as imperfect as this first gen LG OLED product was, it's another case where it knocked the Kuro reference off its highly esteemed pedestal, warts and all. Even with the thin veneer of undefeatable DNR, he found it sharper than the Kuro!

Last edited by vultur; 10-24-2014 at 10:01 PM.
vultur is offline  
post #6760 of 7341 Old 10-24-2014, 10:21 PM
AVS Special Member
 
TomHuffman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Springfield, MO
Posts: 6,838
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by vultur View Post
I'm going to quote those impressions here since they are pertinent and Huffman was almost convinced after reading a negative review that it couldn't possibly live up to his lofty expectations.

After getting one:

Rough around the edges but as imperfect as this first gen LG OLED product was, it's another case where it knocked the Kuro reference off its highly esteemed pedestal, warts and all.
The reasons for this are several.

  • First, I did not find any shadow detail problems when the levels were carefully adjusted.
  • Second, the poor white field uniformity bothers me, but it is not generally noticeable on program material, so it is more of a theoretical concern than a practical day-to-day issue.
  • Third, the price was relatively reasonable--just a little bit more than I paid for a 50" Kuro in 2010.
  • Fourth, inability to wall mount is a definite irritation, but has no effect on picture quality
  • Fifth, poor off-axis viewing is, in my opinion, the biggest drawback to OLED, but for single viewers this isn't an issue. I have a front projector to use when I want to have people over to watch a movie. With the demise of plasmas the only other alternative was LCD and it has poor off-axis viewing as well.
  • Lastly, OLED delivers an image that is seductive and pleasing in ways that are not obviously subject to measurement. Part of it is the essentially infinite contrast, but there is something else as well--a kind of silky smoothness mated to razor sharpness that just looks really, really good even in scenes in which high contrast offers no benefit.
I'd also like to point out that the color performance of Kuros were pretty awful, and the LG OLEDs are close to perfect without calibration when the correct presets are chosen.






Tom Huffman
ChromaPure Software/AccuPel Video Signal Generators
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

TomHuffman is online now  
post #6761 of 7341 Old 10-25-2014, 01:52 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Wizziwig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: SoCal, USA
Posts: 1,477
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomHuffman View Post
The reasons for this are several.
[*]Second, the poor white field uniformity bothers me, but it is not generally noticeable on program material, so it is more of a theoretical concern than a practical day-to-day issue.
How about the low IRE uniformity? Say 5-20%.
Wizziwig is offline  
post #6762 of 7341 Old 10-25-2014, 09:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Ken Ross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: N.Y.
Posts: 27,452
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3284 Post(s)
Liked: 3142
And, yes indeed, Tom's observations conform to what I've seen both in-store and at the shootout.

What's particularly interesting is that Tom too, does not see an issue with sharpness & detail. Using the phrase 'razor sharpness', confirms what I've always seen and said. I just don't get this endless talk of the 'horrific' impact of LG's DNR. Some of us must be blind.

This is precisely why I take some of these negative reviews with a grain of salt.
Mark Slone, agkss and sal9000 like this.
Ken Ross is offline  
post #6763 of 7341 Old 10-25-2014, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member
 
tgm1024's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 8,197
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1451 Post(s)
Liked: 1410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
And, yes indeed, Tom's observations conform to what I've seen both in-store and at the shootout.

What's particularly interesting is that Tom too, does not see an issue with sharpness & detail. Using the phrase 'razor sharpness', confirms what I've always seen and said. I just don't get this endless talk of the 'horrific' impact of LG's DNR. Some of us must be blind.

This is precisely why I take some of these negative reviews with a grain of salt.

Sure; the DNR thing might well be overblown, but in that phrasing of his I'd like to know if he's talking about static or dynamic content. NR involves the time domain AFAIK, not static image patterns.

What do you call a Harley that doesn't leak oil?
Out of oil.
tgm1024 is offline  
post #6764 of 7341 Old 10-25-2014, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Wizziwig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: SoCal, USA
Posts: 1,477
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
And, yes indeed, Tom's observations conform to what I've seen both in-store and at the shootout.

What's particularly interesting is that Tom too, does not see an issue with sharpness & detail. Using the phrase 'razor sharpness', confirms what I've always seen and said. I just don't get this endless talk of the 'horrific' impact of LG's DNR. Some of us must be blind.

This is precisely why I take some of these negative reviews with a grain of salt.
Tom reviewed the EA9800. The recent negative reviews are for the new EC9300. I think David said the older models forced a less aggressive temporal DNR.
Vegas oled likes this.
Wizziwig is offline  
post #6765 of 7341 Old 10-25-2014, 10:57 AM
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Ozarks
Posts: 144
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomHuffman View Post
Fifth, poor off-axis viewing is, in my opinion, the biggest drawback to OLED, but for single viewers this isn't an issue. I have a front projector to use when I want to have people over to watch a movie. With the demise of plasmas the only other alternative was LCD and it has poor off-axis viewing as well.
I just wanted to add that while color accuracy may suffer at sharper angles, this doesn't correspond with an associated drop in contrast, which is why some may find the viewing angles preferable to LCD.
Ken Ross likes this.
vultur is offline  
post #6766 of 7341 Old 10-25-2014, 11:04 AM
Advanced Member
 
Yappadappadu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Hamburg/Germany
Posts: 550
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizziwig View Post
Tom reviewed the EA9800. The recent negative reviews are for the new EC9300. I think David said the older models forced a less aggressive temporal DNR.
Did he? I don't remember David saying anything about the EA9800. I sure would like to hear what he thinks about it.
Yappadappadu is online now  
post #6767 of 7341 Old 10-25-2014, 12:55 PM
Member
 
smorgasbord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 57
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by smorgasbord View Post
Does anyone know if the AN-MR500 is compatible?
I online chatted with LG support, and they said the AN-MR500 was compatible with the 9800, so I ordered one.

LG support was wrong. When pairing the TV gives a message saying the remote is not compatible. Some of the functions actually work, but everything you hit Selected, it tries to re-pair.

So, I'll be returning the remote or selling it on ebay.

PS: I did just get a BP540 BluRay player. I'll try the SimuLink thing to see if the 9800 remote works with it.
smorgasbord is offline  
post #6768 of 7341 Old 10-25-2014, 02:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Ken Ross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: N.Y.
Posts: 27,452
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3284 Post(s)
Liked: 3142
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post
Sure; the DNR thing might well be overblown, but in that phrasing of his I'd like to know if he's talking about static or dynamic content. NR involves the time domain AFAIK, not static image patterns.
I'd be shocked if it wasn't both static & dynamic content he's talking about both since he's been watching typical content in arriving at his conclusion, not just static test patterns. If I had spent time with the display like Tom did, I doubt I'd make my assessment just watching talking heads.

But we can wait for Tom to chime in if I'm wrong.
Ken Ross is offline  
post #6769 of 7341 Old 10-25-2014, 02:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Ken Ross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: N.Y.
Posts: 27,452
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3284 Post(s)
Liked: 3142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizziwig View Post
Tom reviewed the EA9800. The recent negative reviews are for the new EC9300. I think David said the older models forced a less aggressive temporal DNR.
I'm not sure that's the case, but either way, even the older model DID/DOES have DNR and Tom still saw no evidence of it.

Again, not one owner has complained about it with either the 9300 or 9800. It appears like with so many things on AVS, it's non-owners that have the biggest complaints. Interesting.
Ken Ross is offline  
post #6770 of 7341 Old 10-25-2014, 06:07 PM
AVS Special Member
 
TomHuffman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Springfield, MO
Posts: 6,838
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizziwig View Post
How about the low IRE uniformity? Say 5-20%.
It's about the same.

BTW, after additional use I am bothered more by the poor white field uniformity. This is not, as I reported, very visible with regular program material. However, it is quite visible when the program material is black and white. I am just now watching the excellent Ken Burns PBS documentary on the Roosevelt's (TR, FDR, and ER), and I find that the discoloration on the sides of the image--especially the right side--is quite distracting. Much of the program material is composed of black and white photos.
Mark Slone likes this.

Tom Huffman
ChromaPure Software/AccuPel Video Signal Generators
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

TomHuffman is online now  
post #6771 of 7341 Old 10-25-2014, 06:08 PM
AVS Special Member
 
tgm1024's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 8,197
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1451 Post(s)
Liked: 1410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
It appears like with so many things on AVS, it's non-owners that have the biggest complaints. Interesting.
I believe you're putting the cart before the horse, or at least the emphasis in the wrong place. It's the folks that are the most critical (and vocally so) of any last little thing that hold off on a purchase and remain non-owners of new devices. That's normal for folks looking for uber-perfection; they don't find it. There's nothing untoward here at all.

What do you call a Harley that doesn't leak oil?
Out of oil.
tgm1024 is offline  
post #6772 of 7341 Old 10-25-2014, 06:13 PM
AVS Special Member
 
TomHuffman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Springfield, MO
Posts: 6,838
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
I'd be shocked if it wasn't both static & dynamic content he's talking about both since he's been watching typical content in arriving at his conclusion, not just static test patterns. If I had spent time with the display like Tom did, I doubt I'd make my assessment just watching talking heads.

But we can wait for Tom to chime in if I'm wrong.
I haven't noticed anything in particular in this regard. Perhaps if someone can suggest a specific test, I can look for it.
Ken Ross likes this.

Tom Huffman
ChromaPure Software/AccuPel Video Signal Generators
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

TomHuffman is online now  
post #6773 of 7341 Old 10-25-2014, 07:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Ken Ross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: N.Y.
Posts: 27,452
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3284 Post(s)
Liked: 3142
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post
I believe you're putting the cart before the horse, or at least the emphasis in the wrong place. It's the folks that are the most critical (and vocally so) of any last little thing that hold off on a purchase and remain non-owners of new devices. That's normal for folks looking for uber-perfection; they don't find it. There's nothing untoward here at all.
I generally agree. But there are also people that bend over backwards to find 'excuses' not to buy. There are many underlying reasons for that, such as budgetary issues to name one.

For those that are truly looking for 'perfection', good luck with that.
Ken Ross is offline  
post #6774 of 7341 Old 10-25-2014, 08:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Joseph Clark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 10,843
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 226
My 9800 has some issues, which are easy to find if I use the right material. (The white field uniformity is probably like most out there.) Still, it's better than any display I've ever owned, or seen. Every time I watch it, I know I made the right decision. I've spent a lot more for displays (flat panel and projectors), but not a one of them has pleased me more than this OLED. For me, the only downside is that it's the only display in my house that I want to watch anymore.
kinglm, 5x10 and Vegas oled like this.

Joe Clark

Joseph Clark is offline  
post #6775 of 7341 Old 10-25-2014, 08:05 PM
Advanced Member
 
5x10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 986
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 588 Post(s)
Liked: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Clark View Post
My 9800 has some issues, which are easy to find if I use the right material. (The white field uniformity is probably like most out there.) Still, it's better than any display I've ever owned, or seen. Every time I watch it, I know I made the right decision. I've spent a lot more for displays (flat panel and projectors), but not a one of them has pleased me more than this OLED. For me, the only downside is that it's the only display in my house that I want to watch anymore.
I feel your pain!
5x10 is offline  
post #6776 of 7341 Old 10-26-2014, 08:01 AM
Qaq
Senior Member
 
Qaq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 470
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Tried yesterday non-PC mode (PC was switched from RGB to YCbCr and TV's HDMI input was unlabeled). Just to enjoy that DNR thing. 720 picture on 55 screen (OLED!), wow... Even worse, some parts of image look black crashed (denoised), while the others look washed out.
Somewhat DNR helps to hide a static ghosts from back lightening heterogeneity though, but not copmplitely and dinamic and transparensy loss is huge. I'll better go back to PC mode. Perhaps, it will be possible to disable DNR in service mode.

Burned by the Audio Inquisition
Qaq is offline  
post #6777 of 7341 Old 10-26-2014, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member
 
tgm1024's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 8,197
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1451 Post(s)
Liked: 1410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
I generally agree. But there are also people that bend over backwards to find 'excuses' not to buy. There are many underlying reasons for that, such as budgetary issues to name one.
Well there are two things regarding price:
  • Can you afford it
  • and If you can afford it, are you willing to pay for it
Speaking for me, I can afford the various models out there, but I am just not an early adopter. There are some prices I won't pay for a TV regardless of how well off I am doing.

Quick example I used in the past:

Something like 20 years ago I went on trip down to Virginia and during that trip I visited a cave system there. I was starving and there was no food anywhere to be found except for a shack that was selling things like snickers bars for $3.95. Of course I can easily afford $4 for a 75 cent candy bar. I will not pay $4 for a 75 cent candy bar based entirely on the principal of it.

What do you call a Harley that doesn't leak oil?
Out of oil.
tgm1024 is offline  
post #6778 of 7341 Old 10-26-2014, 01:01 PM
Advanced Member
 
5x10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 986
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 588 Post(s)
Liked: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post
Well there are two things regarding price:
  • Can you afford it
  • and If you can afford it, are you willing to pay for it
Speaking for me, I can afford the various models out there, but I am just not an early adopter. There are some prices I won't pay for a TV regardless of how well off I am doing.

Quick example I used in the past:

Something like 20 years ago I went on trip down to Virginia and during that trip I visited a cave system there. I was starving and there was no food anywhere to be found except for a shack that was selling things like snickers bars for $3.95. Of course I can easily afford $4 for a 75 cent candy bar. I will not pay $4 for a 75 cent candy bar based entirely on the principal of it.
So what's your price point for the 9800(assuming you would be willing to be an early adopter)
mo949 likes this.
5x10 is offline  
post #6779 of 7341 Old 10-26-2014, 01:13 PM
 
Vegas oled's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 1,927
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1050 Post(s)
Liked: 747
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Clark View Post
My 9800 has some issues, which are easy to find if I use the right material. (The white field uniformity is probably like most out there.) Still, it's better than any display I've ever owned, or seen. Every time I watch it, I know I made the right decision. I've spent a lot more for displays (flat panel and projectors), but not a one of them has pleased me more than this OLED. For me, the only downside is that it's the only display in my house that I want to watch anymore.
You made the right decision with the 9800.
Vegas oled is offline  
post #6780 of 7341 Old 10-26-2014, 01:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Ken Ross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: N.Y.
Posts: 27,452
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3284 Post(s)
Liked: 3142
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post
Well there are two things regarding price:
  • Can you afford it
  • and If you can afford it, are you willing to pay for it
Speaking for me, I can afford the various models out there, but I am just not an early adopter. There are some prices I won't pay for a TV regardless of how well off I am doing.

Quick example I used in the past:

Something like 20 years ago I went on trip down to Virginia and during that trip I visited a cave system there. I was starving and there was no food anywhere to be found except for a shack that was selling things like snickers bars for $3.95. Of course I can easily afford $4 for a 75 cent candy bar. I will not pay $4 for a 75 cent candy bar based entirely on the principal of it.
I wouldn't have either...but I would have paid $4 for a Dove dark chocolate bar. The hell with principles!
tgm1024 likes this.
Ken Ross is offline  
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
Lg 55ea9800 Oled Hdtv , Lg
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off