post #6751 of 6766 Old 10-23-2014, 02:03 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktownhero View Post
I feel like our situations are about the same. The last thing I want to do is rush to buy something just because of a deal and not end up with exactly what I want. I'm going to see what happens over the upcoming months and if need-be I'll just spend that 3k on a killer 65" LED.
Yes, I did do it on a whim as I was able to PM BestBuy to a sponsors price of the Gen 2 so I was "in the moment". When I fired that beauty up I was super impressed by the PQ but for my "main" set I just couldn't get over the loss of size. Sad thing is my vision is bad enough that my 65" Sammy LED looks just as nice to a point I guess that's one place my bad eyes are a benefit to my wallet.

I absolutely would love to get a 65" OLED someday when they come down in price, if how quickly the 55" have dropped is any estimation that would be great. Best of luck with whatever you decide. IMO the 9800 is an absolute steal as a bedroom set. If I had more funds I would grab one in a second!
Vegas oled likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6752 of 6766 Old Yesterday, 08:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Over in the calibration forum, Tom Huffman just landed one of these, and in spite of its uniformity imperfections (to which we can all attest), this is his new reference standard, now replacing his Kuro 9th gen.
post #6753 of 6766 Old Yesterday, 09:27 PM

I'm going to quote those impressions here since they are pertinent and Huffman was almost convinced after reading a negative review that it couldn't possibly live up to his lofty expectations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomHuffman View Post
I have got to say that this review sapped some of my enthusiasm for OLED. It seems to fail in non-trivial areas of performance in ways that plasmas do not. In particular, I find the observed poor white field uniformity to be very troubling. Also, the black crush and attendant loss of shadow detail is of concern. Add to that the poor off-axis viewing, high price, and the inability to mount to a wall this is starting to look like a step backward from plasma in just about every area except contrast, an aspect of performance in which plasmas have gotten very good.
After getting one:

Quote:
I finally got my hands on a LG OLED. It is last year's model, the 55EA9800. Here are some of my impressions.

First, regarding uniformity the bad news is that it is not very good. The good news is that this is visible only with test patterns. I couldn't see it at all with normal program material. I also found the off-axis viewing not great, but it was a little more noticeable with program material. At 23-degrees off-axis the colors looked flatter and less rich. See measurements below.

Regarding shadow detail, the only problem I found was that you have to be careful setting up the levels. The Sound and Vision recommended a setting of 50 (the default) for the brightness control, which crushed black. I found that 52 was the best setting, which yielded excellent shadow detail.

Regarding color, with the Gamut set to BT709 the color really needed no calibration. A LUT calibration on this display would be a waste of time. dE values throughout the color space are around 1.0, with a few outliers in the low 2's.

The 20pt grayscale also wasn't necessary. Using the 2-point yielded very good results. I tweaked 10% and 30% a little using the Lumagen. Gamma is consistently in the 2.2-2.3 range.

One setting that has not got a lot of attention--but which I found to be very important--was the OLED Light control. The default is 50, but at this level colors appeared exaggerated and blown out, though (interestingly) they measured fine. Set to 25, the image took on a very natural, silky smooth appearance.

The curved screen didn't hurt anything, but it didn't add anything either. It is subtle enough that you don't really notice it. The biggest drawback from this is that it precludes a wall mount installation.

The ISF Expert is the only Picture mode you should use. The THX mode has the same default values but you are locked out of a lot of the calibration controls.

I guess I agree with the consensus that the LG OLED offers the best image I have ever seen, at least with flat panels (I haven't seen the Samsung). I still think that the 4K Sony VPL-W1100 front projector provides the most impressive image overall. The LG replaces my personal reference display, the 9th generation Pioneer Kuro. The LG is sharper with superior black levels and better depth. In its uncalibrated state the LG's color is a HUGE step-up from the Pioneer, which requires an LUT calibration to look really good.

If LG can fix the white field uniformity problem, which I think is inexcusable, and improve the off-axis viewing this would be essentially a perfect display. An affordable 4K version would land us in TV heaven. I suspect it is only a matter of time. The 2K version is surprisingly affordable now.
Rough around the edges but as imperfect as this first gen LG OLED product was, it's another case where it knocked the Kuro reference off its highly esteemed pedestal, warts and all. Even with the thin veneer of undefeatable DNR, he found it sharper than the Kuro!
bakerwi, mo949, 5x10 and 1 others like this.

Last edited by vultur; Yesterday at 10:01 PM.
post #6754 of 6766 Old Yesterday, 10:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by vultur View Post
I'm going to quote those impressions here since they are pertinent and Huffman was almost convinced after reading a negative review that it couldn't possibly live up to his lofty expectations.

After getting one:

Rough around the edges but as imperfect as this first gen LG OLED product was, it's another case where it knocked the Kuro reference off its highly esteemed pedestal, warts and all.
The reasons for this are several.

• First, I did not find any shadow detail problems when the levels were carefully adjusted.
  • Second, the poor white field uniformity bothers me, but it is not generally noticeable on program material, so it is more of a theoretical concern than a practical day-to-day issue.
  • Third, the price was relatively reasonable--just a little bit more than I paid for a 50" Kuro in 2010.
  • Fourth, inability to wall mount is a definite irritation, but has no effect on picture quality
  • Fifth, poor off-axis viewing is, in my opinion, the biggest drawback to OLED, but for single viewers this isn't an issue. I have a front projector to use when I want to have people over to watch a movie. With the demise of plasmas the only other alternative was LCD and it has poor off-axis viewing as well.
  • Lastly, OLED delivers an image that is seductive and pleasing in ways that are not obviously subject to measurement. Part of it is the essentially infinite contrast, but there is something else as well--a kind of silky smoothness mated to razor sharpness that just looks really, really good even in scenes in which high contrast offers no benefit.
I'd also like to point out that the color performance of Kuros were pretty awful, and the LG OLEDs are close to perfect without calibration when the correct presets are chosen.

dsinger, royboy365, mo949 and 2 others like this.

Tom Huffman
ChromaPure Software/AccuPel Video Signal Generators
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

post #6755 of 6766 Old Today, 01:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
The reasons for this are several.
[*]Second, the poor white field uniformity bothers me, but it is not generally noticeable on program material, so it is more of a theoretical concern than a practical day-to-day issue.
How about the low IRE uniformity? Say 5-20%.
post #6756 of 6766 Old Today, 09:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1214 Post(s)
Liked: 1378
And, yes indeed, Tom's observations conform to what I've seen both in-store and at the shootout.

What's particularly interesting is that Tom too, does not see an issue with sharpness & detail. Using the phrase 'razor sharpness', confirms what I've always seen and said. I just don't get this endless talk of the 'horrific' impact of LG's DNR. Some of us must be blind.

This is precisely why I take some of these negative reviews with a grain of salt.
sal9000 likes this.
post #6757 of 6766 Old Today, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 553 Post(s)
Liked: 881
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
And, yes indeed, Tom's observations conform to what I've seen both in-store and at the shootout.

What's particularly interesting is that Tom too, does not see an issue with sharpness & detail. Using the phrase 'razor sharpness', confirms what I've always seen and said. I just don't get this endless talk of the 'horrific' impact of LG's DNR. Some of us must be blind.

This is precisely why I take some of these negative reviews with a grain of salt.

Sure; the DNR thing might well be overblown, but in that phrasing of his I'd like to know if he's talking about static or dynamic content. NR involves the time domain AFAIK, not static image patterns.

Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent. Unless, of course, it's to keep someone from creating a phone video in portrait mode, in which case it's a pretty good first step. Portrait mooks: KNOCK IT OFF.
post #6758 of 6766 Old Today, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:

Tom reviewed the EA9800. The recent negative reviews are for the new EC9300. I think David said the older models forced a less aggressive temporal DNR.
post #6759 of 6766 Old Today, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Fifth, poor off-axis viewing is, in my opinion, the biggest drawback to OLED, but for single viewers this isn't an issue. I have a front projector to use when I want to have people over to watch a movie. With the demise of plasmas the only other alternative was LCD and it has poor off-axis viewing as well.
I just wanted to add that while color accuracy may suffer at sharper angles, this doesn't correspond with an associated drop in contrast, which is why some may find the viewing angles preferable to LCD.
Ken Ross likes this.
post #6760 of 6766 Old Today, 11:04 AM

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizziwig View Post
Tom reviewed the EA9800. The recent negative reviews are for the new EC9300. I think David said the older models forced a less aggressive temporal DNR.
Did he? I don't remember David saying anything about the EA9800. I sure would like to hear what he thinks about it.
post #6761 of 6766 Old Today, 12:55 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by smorgasbord View Post
Does anyone know if the AN-MR500 is compatible?
I online chatted with LG support, and they said the AN-MR500 was compatible with the 9800, so I ordered one.

LG support was wrong. When pairing the TV gives a message saying the remote is not compatible. Some of the functions actually work, but everything you hit Selected, it tries to re-pair.

So, I'll be returning the remote or selling it on ebay.

PS: I did just get a BP540 BluRay player. I'll try the SimuLink thing to see if the 9800 remote works with it.
post #6762 of 6766 Old Today, 02:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post
Sure; the DNR thing might well be overblown, but in that phrasing of his I'd like to know if he's talking about static or dynamic content. NR involves the time domain AFAIK, not static image patterns.
I'd be shocked if it wasn't both static & dynamic content he's talking about both since he's been watching typical content in arriving at his conclusion, not just static test patterns. If I had spent time with the display like Tom did, I doubt I'd make my assessment just watching talking heads.

But we can wait for Tom to chime in if I'm wrong.
post #6763 of 6766 Old Today, 02:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I'm not sure that's the case, but either way, even the older model DID/DOES have DNR and Tom still saw no evidence of it.

Again, not one owner has complained about it with either the 9300 or 9800. It appears like with so many things on AVS, it's non-owners that have the biggest complaints. Interesting.
post #6764 of 6766 Old Today, 06:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
How about the low IRE uniformity? Say 5-20%.
It's about the same.

BTW, after additional use I am bothered more by the poor white field uniformity. This is not, as I reported, very visible with regular program material. However, it is quite visible when the program material is black and white. I am just now watching the excellent Ken Burns PBS documentary on the Roosevelt's (TR, FDR, and ER), and I find that the discoloration on the sides of the image--especially the right side--is quite distracting. Much of the program material is composed of black and white photos.

Tom Huffman
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

post #6765 of 6766 Old Today, 06:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 553 Post(s)
Liked: 881
Quote:
It appears like with so many things on AVS, it's non-owners that have the biggest complaints. Interesting.
I believe you're putting the cart before the horse, or at least the emphasis in the wrong place. It's the folks that are the most critical (and vocally so) of any last little thing that hold off on a purchase and remain non-owners of new devices. That's normal for folks looking for uber-perfection; they don't find it. There's nothing untoward here at all.

Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent. Unless, of course, it's to keep someone from creating a phone video in portrait mode, in which case it's a pretty good first step. Portrait mooks: KNOCK IT OFF.
post #6766 of 6766 Old Today, 06:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I'd be shocked if it wasn't both static & dynamic content he's talking about both since he's been watching typical content in arriving at his conclusion, not just static test patterns. If I had spent time with the display like Tom did, I doubt I'd make my assessment just watching talking heads.

But we can wait for Tom to chime in if I'm wrong.
I haven't noticed anything in particular in this regard. Perhaps if someone can suggest a specific test, I can look for it.

Tom Huffman
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
Lg 55ea9800 Oled Hdtv , Lg
Gear in this thread - 55ea9800 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page