post #6841 of 6990 Old 11-06-2014, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 655 Post(s)
Liked: 939
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5x10 View Post
i don understand what a pluge pattern is, can you elaborate please?

It's sort of like an xyzzy.

yesthatwasfortheoldtimergeeks...
spamjam likes this.

Java developers, when I saw what has been placed into Java 8 I was immediately reminded of how I've spent so much of my life trying to protect engineers from themselves. Lambda expressions are a horrible idea. Gentlemen: the goal isn't to make code readable for a competent mid-level engineer. The goal is to make code readable for a competent mid-level engineer exhausted and hopped up on caffeine at 3 am. What a disaster Java 8 is!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6842 of 6990 Old 11-06-2014, 11:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Ran it and there's no problem. It just seems to be THX mode that the brightness seems far to light. You can even see the checker board background when using the test slide.
post #6843 of 6990 Old 11-06-2014, 12:39 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Hi all,

I just wanted to pop in and thank everyone for the informative posts. Does Microcenter ship to home or does one have to be able to take it home themselves? How do returns work?
post #6844 of 6990 Old 11-06-2014, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 565 Post(s)
Liked: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by CronoEV View Post
Hi all,

I just wanted to pop in and thank everyone for the informative posts. Does Microcenter ship to home or does one have to be able to take it home themselves? How do returns work?
The microcenter deal is in store only. I think it is a 15 day return policy, but I am not certain. They could possibly arrange for delivery after you went in store and purchased it.
post #6845 of 6990 Old 11-07-2014, 12:53 AM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Still can't decide to whether to purchase this set or the ec9300, can anyone help ? I also had a few questions like how well does this set handle gaming ? That accounts for 40% of what this will be used for in addition to watching dvds and blu ray. Also is webos exclusive online to the ec9300 or can is it able to run on the ec9300 ? If not how well is the the ea9800 software compared to webos ? Sorry for all the questions just really confused "/
post #6846 of 6990 Old 11-07-2014, 06:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oled Kidd View Post
Still can't decide to whether to purchase this set or the ec9300, can anyone help ? I also had a few questions like how well does this set handle gaming ? That accounts for 40% of what this will be used for in addition to watching dvds and blu ray. Also is webos exclusive online to the ec9300 or can is it able to run on the ec9300 ? If not how well is the the ea9800 software compared to webos ? Sorry for all the questions just really confused "/
between the two, the 9300 does better for gaming. I believe people have measured the input lag around 25ms (using game mode and naming the input PC) and the 9800 is closer to 45.

If you play FPS that is a pretty noticeable difference unless you are use to a higher input lag already.
post #6847 of 6990 Old 11-07-2014, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattopotamus View Post
Quote:
between the two, the 9300 does better for gaming. I believe people have measured the input lag around 25ms (using game mode and naming the input PC) and the 9800 is closer to 45.

If you play FPS that is a pretty noticeable difference unless you are use to a higher input lag already.
Ok thanks alot, but input lag falls second for me in comparison to PQ, which set would you say has better PQ ? And is Webos only for the ec9300 ?
post #6848 of 6990 Old 11-07-2014, 11:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked: 292
Quote:
Ok thanks alot, but input lag falls second for me in comparison to PQ, which set would you say has better PQ ? And is Webos only for the ec9300 ?
where does price fall? IMO, aside from some suttle differences, these are basically the same sets
post #6849 of 6990 Old 11-07-2014, 02:18 PM

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 98
webOS is only available on the EC9300. No chance to upgrade the EA9800.

Last edited by Yappadappadu; 11-07-2014 at 02:21 PM.
post #6850 of 6990 Old 11-07-2014, 11:21 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Some facts to help you decide between the two TVs:

The 98 was built to a much higher price point than the 93.
The 93 is lighter in weight and its inventory was cut by 50%.
The 93 appears to be a cost cutting exercise and no progress has been made on picture quality in fact some reviews criticise picture quality compared to the 98 and the web os is slow.

Carbon fibre, camera, THX, USB3, 2-speakers have all been removed from the 93 and the screen is no longer fully enclosed and supported along the bottom edge.

The 93 has a wall mounting option, a different pixel structure, different operating system and some report lower lag but this may be associated with picture processing.
kinglm, 5x10 and Masterbrew2 like this.
post #6851 of 6990 Old 11-08-2014, 12:55 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattopotamus View Post
The microcenter deal is in store only. I think it is a 15 day return policy, but I am not certain. They could possibly arrange for delivery after you went in store and purchased it.
It's 30 days since I just went and bought one today.
Vegas oled likes this.
post #6852 of 6990 Old 11-08-2014, 01:00 AM

I just got the TV today, even after the car try to sabotage me from getting it with a dead battery, and have been messing around with it. There is one thing that is bugging me atm and it has to do with it's internal player vs. using a Chromecast.

Anime is gonna be like 60% of what I will be playing on it. Why is it that if I use the TV internal DLNA to play files off my Plex server the PQ seems much better? If I play it off the Chromecast there is a noticeable drop in quality and more noticeable artefacting.

Thanks for the help!
post #6853 of 6990 Old 11-08-2014, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerft View Post
Some facts to help you decide between the two TVs:

The 98 was built to a much higher price point than the 93.
The 93 is lighter in weight and its inventory was cut by 50%.
The 93 appears to be a cost cutting exercise and no progress has been made on picture quality in fact some reviews criticise picture quality compared to the 98 and the web os is slow.

Carbon fibre, camera, THX, USB3, 2-speakers have all been removed from the 93 and the screen is no longer fully enclosed and supported along the bottom edge.

The 93 has a wall mounting option, a different pixel structure, different operating system and some report lower lag but this may be associated with picture processing.
From the sounds of this sounds like the 98 would be the better option, no ?
post #6854 of 6990 Old 11-08-2014, 03:55 AM

Quote:
I got this set last week. I've been gaming on it a lot with a mix of games.
Ryse - with a controller, this is the best looking game I've ever played, it looked good on my old screen on this it's almost twice as good. It's the happiest my eyes have ever been. I swear it even helps with Anti Aliasing.
Alien Isolation - with controller, it's a dark game and the set helps as you see even more detail which would have otherwise been lost.
COD Future Warfare - 60fps with mouse. This would be the game where I expected to feel the input lag. I can play fine and haven't felt it hold me back in single player at all. I can't bring myself to play on the laptop screen to compare.
Seriously I wouldn't worry about gaming, it's fantastic. I've had no issues with image retention or burn in ether.

I can only get 60hz in windows, although I thought the TV was rated at 120hz. Why is this?
5x10 likes this.
post #6855 of 6990 Old 11-08-2014, 08:50 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mardon85 View Post
I was watching a film in the pitch black tonight and was trying out the THX mode for the first time. At the end of the film and the screen was completely black I was presented with the following on screen (the photo is a long exposure to catch what I was witnessing). It's not quite as bright as this in real life.
It does not happen in any other modes than THX. It looks like lots of dead pixles and burn in, but I can't recreate it in any other situation than an all black screen. I've tried to find the pixles in other situations but can't. I've only found one blue in day to day use.

Edit---

I can recreate it in all modes if I set brightness past 60ish. Does this happen for everyone. I have a 5 year warranty with the store and it doesn't effect me day to day but I guess its something to keep an eye on.
Your black level setting is probably "high". Set it to low and this issue will be concealed (at the loss of some shadow detail). This is the "poor near-black uniformity" I described several pages back, which seems to be typical of this panel.
post #6856 of 6990 Old 11-08-2014, 04:44 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnces View Post
I just got the TV today, even after the car try to sabotage me from getting it with a dead battery, and have been messing around with it. There is one thing that is bugging me atm and it has to do with it's internal player vs. using a Chromecast.

Anime is gonna be like 60% of what I will be playing on it. Why is it that if I use the TV internal DLNA to play files off my Plex server the PQ seems much better? If I play it off the Chromecast there is a noticeable drop in quality and more noticeable artefacting.

Thanks for the help!
Funny! My car tried to sabotage me the day I was bringing my 9800 home with flat tire. Run flat tires, had to detour to the service center with TV in the car.
post #6857 of 6990 Old 11-08-2014, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinglm View Post
Funny! My car tried to sabotage me the day I was bringing my 9800 home with flat tire. Run flat tires, had to detour to the service center with TV in the car.
Took me 3 hours back and forth walking between my car (the battery died in the parking lot of a Dunkin Donut grabbing coffee), home, and auto center to get a new battery ~~. Was planning to go to other places beside MC but in the end just went to grab the TV and back home. XD

So can anybody answer my question above??
post #6858 of 6990 Old 11-08-2014, 10:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1015 Post(s)
Liked: 700
Quote:
I lived with both and the 9800 is a better display unless your a gamer. just read the Luke warm professional reviews on the 9300 compared to he excellent reviews the 9800 received . The processor is the biggest advantage the 9800 has.

Last edited by Vegas oled; 11-08-2014 at 10:35 PM.
post #6859 of 6990 Old 11-08-2014, 10:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1015 Post(s)
Liked: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnces View Post
Took me 3 hours back and forth walking between my car (the battery died in the parking lot of a Dunkin Donut grabbing coffee), home, and auto center to get a new battery ~~. Was planning to go to other places beside MC but in the end just went to grab the TV and back home. XD

So can anybody answer my question above??
Sound like an adverntures day you will not soon forget, Great display you will be happy.
post #6860 of 6990 Old 11-08-2014, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas oled View Post
Sound like an adverntures day you will not soon forget, Great display you will be happy.
Pretty happy right now. Watched World War Z off the Netflix app just to check it out and ya the blacks was black lol. Never seen a TV where the scene fade out to total black, as in I can't even tell where the TV is.

Now just gotta decide if I want a PS4 or a Oppo 103D for Blu ray and playing rips off my NAS. But, seriosuly, the PS4 doesn't have DLNA support?? Couldn't believe it when I was googling around for research.
Vegas oled likes this.
post #6861 of 6990 Old 11-09-2014, 12:34 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Recently purchased this set and I have to say even in its infant stage the PQ blows any display I've had out of the water. I have 2 pioneer kuro 111fd a 6020fd and I've previously had the f8500 and zt60. I'm a tv fanatic but I can honestly say this set as tamed my fetish for tvs. I can't wait to see what the future holdso for OLED. True videophiles don't have to cry over the exit of plasma anymore. OLED is the future.
bakerwi, wicklow and Vegas oled like this.
post #6862 of 6990 Old 11-09-2014, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas oled View Post
Quote:
I lived with both and the 9800 is a better display unless your a gamer. just read the Luke warm professional reviews on the 9300 compared to he excellent reviews the 9800 received . The processor is the biggest advantage the 9800 has.
Thanks alot Vegas Oled, and I do recall that you had both sets on hand and were comparing them back to back. And although you were critiqued for going back and forth with which set you thought was better I still commend you for having both sets and giving them a full evaluation. That's alot more than most people can say. But I have a question for you, aside from input lag what really makes the ec9300 a better gaming set ? I'm more focused on PQ then anything else.
post #6863 of 6990 Old 11-09-2014, 05:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks alot Vegas Oled, and I do recall that you had both sets on hand and were comparing them back to back. And although you were critiqued for going back and forth with which set you thought was better I still commend you for having both sets and giving them a full evaluation. That's alot more than most people can say. But I have a question for you, aside from input lag what really makes the ec9300 a better gaming set ? I'm more focused on PQ then anything else.
Input lag and it seems less susceptible to burn in
post #6864 of 6990 Old 11-09-2014, 05:48 AM

Is 20ms noticeable?
post #6865 of 6990 Old 11-09-2014, 07:40 AM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
I got this set last week. I've been gaming on it a lot with a mix of games.
Ryse - with a controller, this is the best looking game I've ever played, it looked good on my old screen on this it's almost twice as good. It's the happiest my eyes have ever been. I swear it even helps with Anti Aliasing.
I had the same experience. My games looked so much better it seemed like a console generation apart.
If I were a game developer I'd be thrilled to showcase my game on an OLED.

I have Samsara running in the background right now. I don't think many people in the world have experienced such image quality.

Since getting this OLED set, I tend to always get dissapointed when I go to the movies. The picture seems so dull and lacking in contrast. I always end up thinking to myself "this will look so much better on my set at home".
Mardon85 and Zoomomax like this.

LG 55EA9700 OLED
post #6866 of 6990 Old 11-09-2014, 07:42 AM

Exactly this. I used to moan about dark sceens in films now I'm think of dark films to watch!
post #6867 of 6990 Old 11-09-2014, 08:13 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can anyone tell me how high the screen starts from the base of the tv? In other words, if I set a speaker in front of the TV how tall can it be without blocking the image? I'm a little concerned my speaker would be taller than the screen since this tv cannot be mounted.
post #6868 of 6990 Old 11-09-2014, 08:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked: 292
Quote:
If your taking about reference quality, the 9800 is better calibrated right out of the box and can hit a 2.4 gamma curve(something the 9300 had trouble with)
If you don't care about reference quality, go with the less expensive oled, where the 9800 wins again

I cannot think of any reason to pay an extra $1500 for a tv that you could get for $2k(2k vs 3500)
I still feel like I stole the tv @ $2k
kinglm likes this.
post #6869 of 6990 Old 11-09-2014, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Is 20ms noticeable?
Not at all. Really anything under 30ms and you are in good shape. Even under 40 is acceptable.
post #6870 of 6990 Old 11-09-2014, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Is 20ms noticeable?
Not at all. Under 30 and you are in great shape. Even under 40 is acceptable unless you are playing on a competitive level.
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
Lg 55ea9800 Oled Hdtv , Lg
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page