LG 55EA9800 55" OLED Owner's thread - Page 229 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #6841 of 7301 Old 11-06-2014, 04:29 AM
AVS Special Member
 
buzzard767's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Naples, FL & Wausau, WI
Posts: 4,294
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 558 Post(s)
Liked: 1060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mardon85 View Post
I can recreate it in all modes if I set brightness past 60ish. Does this happen for everyone. I have a 5 year warranty with the store and it doesn't effect me day to day but I guess its something to keep an eye on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5x10 View Post
I just checked mine and I don't have it at 60+ brightness
I did notice the uneven grayscale at 70+ brightness(back panel and right side being darker)
Set Brightness with a pluge pattern. There is only 1 correct setting. Then see what you get.
Mardon85 likes this.

Buzz
THX Certified Video Calibrator

 

buzzard767 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #6842 of 7301 Old 11-06-2014, 05:14 AM
AVS Special Member
 
tgm1024's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 7,788
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1249 Post(s)
Liked: 1252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mardon85 View Post
I tried it again in the built in photo viewer to rule out the laptop.

Yeah, you should always go to known slides (or custom pure color "photo" slides of your own) to diagnose a problem and never a paused section of any movie. You have no idea what's really in the source, and of course in the case of cableboxes, you get all these near-black compression artifacts endlessly. But even with blu-ray movies it's a crapshoot.

Roses are red,
and while that is true,
Violets are violet,
and not @#$%ing blue.
tgm1024 is offline  
post #6843 of 7301 Old 11-06-2014, 05:15 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 51
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 4
I'll try this tonight. Worryingly you'd expect the THX setting to be correct which means I may have a problem. The issue becomes apparent around 65% brightness.

Last edited by Mardon85; 11-06-2014 at 05:21 AM.
Mardon85 is offline  
post #6844 of 7301 Old 11-06-2014, 07:37 AM
Advanced Member
 
5x10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 957
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 580 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767 View Post
Set Brightness with a pluge pattern. There is only 1 correct setting. Then see what you get.
i don understand what a pluge pattern is, can you elaborate please?

all i did was turn the tv to an input that was off(black screen), and then raise the brightness until i saw uniformity issues(which basically replicated the dark gray slide in dnices slides)
5x10 is offline  
post #6845 of 7301 Old 11-06-2014, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member
 
buzzard767's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Naples, FL & Wausau, WI
Posts: 4,294
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 558 Post(s)
Liked: 1060
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5x10 View Post
i don understand what a pluge pattern is, can you elaborate please?

all i did was turn the tv to an input that was off(black screen), and then raise the brightness until i saw uniformity issues(which basically replicated the dark gray slide in dnices slides)
It's a pattern specifically designed for setting black level with the Brightness Control. Pluge patterns are found on all calibration discs. Download a free one here and download the Patterns Manual (linked in post 1) as well.
5x10 likes this.

Buzz
THX Certified Video Calibrator

 

buzzard767 is offline  
post #6846 of 7301 Old 11-06-2014, 08:49 AM
Member
 
toddrain1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 121
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mardon85 View Post
I was watching a film in the pitch black tonight and was trying out the THX mode for the first time. At the end of the film and the screen was completely black I was presented with the following on screen (the photo is a long exposure to catch what I was witnessing). It's not quite as bright as this in real life.
It does not happen in any other modes than THX. It looks like lots of dead pixles and burn in, but I can't recreate it in any other situation than an all black screen. I've tried to find the pixles in other situations but can't. I've only found one blue in day to day use.



Edit---

I can recreate it in all modes if I set brightness past 60ish. Does this happen for everyone. I have a 5 year warranty with the store and it doesn't effect me day to day but I guess its something to keep an eye on.
That's happens because the brightness is set too high in thx mode. If I set my brightness to 52 with 2.2 gamma I will see pixels illuminate on a 0ire screen. I found that brightness should be set at 51 max. I tend to keep it at 50 because it makes the gamma more stable in the lower part of the grayscale.
toddrain1 is offline  
post #6847 of 7301 Old 11-06-2014, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member
 
tgm1024's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 7,788
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1249 Post(s)
Liked: 1252
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5x10 View Post
i don understand what a pluge pattern is, can you elaborate please?

It's sort of like an xyzzy.

yesthatwasfortheoldtimergeeks...
spamjam likes this.

Roses are red,
and while that is true,
Violets are violet,
and not @#$%ing blue.
tgm1024 is offline  
post #6848 of 7301 Old 11-06-2014, 10:37 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 51
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Ran it and there's no problem. It just seems to be THX mode that the brightness seems far to light. You can even see the checker board background when using the test slide.
Mardon85 is offline  
post #6849 of 7301 Old 11-06-2014, 11:39 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Hi all,

I just wanted to pop in and thank everyone for the informative posts. Does Microcenter ship to home or does one have to be able to take it home themselves? How do returns work?
CronoEV is offline  
post #6850 of 7301 Old 11-06-2014, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Mattopotamus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,375
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 625 Post(s)
Liked: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by CronoEV View Post
Hi all,

I just wanted to pop in and thank everyone for the informative posts. Does Microcenter ship to home or does one have to be able to take it home themselves? How do returns work?
The microcenter deal is in store only. I think it is a 15 day return policy, but I am not certain. They could possibly arrange for delivery after you went in store and purchased it.
Mattopotamus is offline  
post #6851 of 7301 Old 11-06-2014, 11:53 PM
Member
 
Oled Kidd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 54
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Still can't decide to whether to purchase this set or the ec9300, can anyone help ? I also had a few questions like how well does this set handle gaming ? That accounts for 40% of what this will be used for in addition to watching dvds and blu ray. Also is webos exclusive online to the ec9300 or can is it able to run on the ec9300 ? If not how well is the the ea9800 software compared to webos ? Sorry for all the questions just really confused "/
Oled Kidd is offline  
post #6852 of 7301 Old 11-07-2014, 05:14 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Mattopotamus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,375
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 625 Post(s)
Liked: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oled Kidd View Post
Still can't decide to whether to purchase this set or the ec9300, can anyone help ? I also had a few questions like how well does this set handle gaming ? That accounts for 40% of what this will be used for in addition to watching dvds and blu ray. Also is webos exclusive online to the ec9300 or can is it able to run on the ec9300 ? If not how well is the the ea9800 software compared to webos ? Sorry for all the questions just really confused "/
between the two, the 9300 does better for gaming. I believe people have measured the input lag around 25ms (using game mode and naming the input PC) and the 9800 is closer to 45.

If you play FPS that is a pretty noticeable difference unless you are use to a higher input lag already.
Mattopotamus is offline  
post #6853 of 7301 Old 11-07-2014, 09:23 AM
Member
 
Oled Kidd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 54
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattopotamus View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oled Kidd View Post
Still can't decide to whether to purchase this set or the ec9300, can anyone help ? I also had a few questions like how well does this set handle gaming ? That accounts for 40% of what this will be used for in addition to watching dvds and blu ray. Also is webos exclusive online to the ec9300 or can is it able to run on the ec9300 ? If not how well is the the ea9800 software compared to webos ? Sorry for all the questions just really confused "/
between the two, the 9300 does better for gaming. I believe people have measured the input lag around 25ms (using game mode and naming the input PC) and the 9800 is closer to 45.

If you play FPS that is a pretty noticeable difference unless you are use to a higher input lag already.
Ok thanks alot, but input lag falls second for me in comparison to PQ, which set would you say has better PQ ? And is Webos only for the ec9300 ?
Oled Kidd is offline  
post #6854 of 7301 Old 11-07-2014, 10:31 AM
Advanced Member
 
5x10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 957
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 580 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oled Kidd View Post
Ok thanks alot, but input lag falls second for me in comparison to PQ, which set would you say has better PQ ? And is Webos only for the ec9300 ?
where does price fall? IMO, aside from some suttle differences, these are basically the same sets
5x10 is offline  
post #6855 of 7301 Old 11-07-2014, 01:18 PM
Advanced Member
 
Yappadappadu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Hamburg/Germany
Posts: 505
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 206
webOS is only available on the EC9300. No chance to upgrade the EA9800.

Last edited by Yappadappadu; 11-07-2014 at 01:21 PM.
Yappadappadu is offline  
post #6856 of 7301 Old 11-07-2014, 10:21 PM
Member
 
rogerft's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Poole UK
Posts: 61
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Some facts to help you decide between the two TVs:

The 98 was built to a much higher price point than the 93.
The 93 is lighter in weight and its inventory was cut by 50%.
The 93 appears to be a cost cutting exercise and no progress has been made on picture quality in fact some reviews criticise picture quality compared to the 98 and the web os is slow.

Carbon fibre, camera, THX, USB3, 2-speakers have all been removed from the 93 and the screen is no longer fully enclosed and supported along the bottom edge.

The 93 has a wall mounting option, a different pixel structure, different operating system and some report lower lag but this may be associated with picture processing.
kinglm, 5x10 and Masterbrew2 like this.
rogerft is offline  
post #6857 of 7301 Old 11-07-2014, 11:55 PM
Member
 
Vinnces's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 100
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattopotamus View Post
The microcenter deal is in store only. I think it is a 15 day return policy, but I am not certain. They could possibly arrange for delivery after you went in store and purchased it.
It's 30 days since I just went and bought one today.
Vegas oled likes this.
Vinnces is offline  
post #6858 of 7301 Old 11-08-2014, 12:00 AM
Member
 
Vinnces's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 100
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I just got the TV today, even after the car try to sabotage me from getting it with a dead battery, and have been messing around with it. There is one thing that is bugging me atm and it has to do with it's internal player vs. using a Chromecast.

Anime is gonna be like 60% of what I will be playing on it. Why is it that if I use the TV internal DLNA to play files off my Plex server the PQ seems much better? If I play it off the Chromecast there is a noticeable drop in quality and more noticeable artefacting.

Thanks for the help!
Vinnces is offline  
post #6859 of 7301 Old 11-08-2014, 12:27 AM
Member
 
Oled Kidd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 54
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerft View Post
Some facts to help you decide between the two TVs:

The 98 was built to a much higher price point than the 93.
The 93 is lighter in weight and its inventory was cut by 50%.
The 93 appears to be a cost cutting exercise and no progress has been made on picture quality in fact some reviews criticise picture quality compared to the 98 and the web os is slow.

Carbon fibre, camera, THX, USB3, 2-speakers have all been removed from the 93 and the screen is no longer fully enclosed and supported along the bottom edge.

The 93 has a wall mounting option, a different pixel structure, different operating system and some report lower lag but this may be associated with picture processing.
From the sounds of this sounds like the 98 would be the better option, no ?
Oled Kidd is offline  
post #6860 of 7301 Old 11-08-2014, 02:55 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 51
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oled Kidd View Post
Still can't decide to whether to purchase this set or the ec9300, can anyone help ? I also had a few questions like how well does this set handle gaming ? That accounts for 40% of what this will be used for in addition to watching dvds and blu ray. Also is webos exclusive online to the ec9300 or can is it able to run on the ec9300 ? If not how well is the the ea9800 software compared to webos ? Sorry for all the questions just really confused "/
I got this set last week. I've been gaming on it a lot with a mix of games.
Ryse - with a controller, this is the best looking game I've ever played, it looked good on my old screen on this it's almost twice as good. It's the happiest my eyes have ever been. I swear it even helps with Anti Aliasing.
Alien Isolation - with controller, it's a dark game and the set helps as you see even more detail which would have otherwise been lost.
COD Future Warfare - 60fps with mouse. This would be the game where I expected to feel the input lag. I can play fine and haven't felt it hold me back in single player at all. I can't bring myself to play on the laptop screen to compare.
Seriously I wouldn't worry about gaming, it's fantastic. I've had no issues with image retention or burn in ether.

I can only get 60hz in windows, although I thought the TV was rated at 120hz. Why is this?
5x10 likes this.
Mardon85 is offline  
post #6861 of 7301 Old 11-08-2014, 07:50 AM
Member
 
ChaosCloud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 100
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mardon85 View Post
I was watching a film in the pitch black tonight and was trying out the THX mode for the first time. At the end of the film and the screen was completely black I was presented with the following on screen (the photo is a long exposure to catch what I was witnessing). It's not quite as bright as this in real life.
It does not happen in any other modes than THX. It looks like lots of dead pixles and burn in, but I can't recreate it in any other situation than an all black screen. I've tried to find the pixles in other situations but can't. I've only found one blue in day to day use.



Edit---

I can recreate it in all modes if I set brightness past 60ish. Does this happen for everyone. I have a 5 year warranty with the store and it doesn't effect me day to day but I guess its something to keep an eye on.
Your black level setting is probably "high". Set it to low and this issue will be concealed (at the loss of some shadow detail). This is the "poor near-black uniformity" I described several pages back, which seems to be typical of this panel.
ChaosCloud is offline  
post #6862 of 7301 Old 11-08-2014, 03:44 PM
Advanced Member
 
kinglm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 615
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnces View Post
I just got the TV today, even after the car try to sabotage me from getting it with a dead battery, and have been messing around with it. There is one thing that is bugging me atm and it has to do with it's internal player vs. using a Chromecast.

Anime is gonna be like 60% of what I will be playing on it. Why is it that if I use the TV internal DLNA to play files off my Plex server the PQ seems much better? If I play it off the Chromecast there is a noticeable drop in quality and more noticeable artefacting.

Thanks for the help!
Funny! My car tried to sabotage me the day I was bringing my 9800 home with flat tire. Run flat tires, had to detour to the service center with TV in the car.
kinglm is offline  
post #6863 of 7301 Old 11-08-2014, 06:36 PM
Member
 
Vinnces's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 100
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinglm View Post
Funny! My car tried to sabotage me the day I was bringing my 9800 home with flat tire. Run flat tires, had to detour to the service center with TV in the car.
Took me 3 hours back and forth walking between my car (the battery died in the parking lot of a Dunkin Donut grabbing coffee), home, and auto center to get a new battery ~~. Was planning to go to other places beside MC but in the end just went to grab the TV and back home. XD

So can anybody answer my question above??
Vinnces is offline  
post #6864 of 7301 Old 11-08-2014, 09:31 PM
 
Vegas oled's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 1,927
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1050 Post(s)
Liked: 747
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oled Kidd View Post
Ok thanks alot, but input lag falls second for me in comparison to PQ, which set would you say has better PQ ? And is Webos only for the ec9300 ?
I lived with both and the 9800 is a better display unless your a gamer. just read the Luke warm professional reviews on the 9300 compared to he excellent reviews the 9800 received . The processor is the biggest advantage the 9800 has.

Last edited by Vegas oled; 11-08-2014 at 09:35 PM.
Vegas oled is offline  
post #6865 of 7301 Old 11-08-2014, 09:33 PM
 
Vegas oled's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 1,927
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1050 Post(s)
Liked: 747
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnces View Post
Took me 3 hours back and forth walking between my car (the battery died in the parking lot of a Dunkin Donut grabbing coffee), home, and auto center to get a new battery ~~. Was planning to go to other places beside MC but in the end just went to grab the TV and back home. XD

So can anybody answer my question above??
Sound like an adverntures day you will not soon forget, Great display you will be happy.
Vegas oled is offline  
post #6866 of 7301 Old 11-08-2014, 10:19 PM
Member
 
Vinnces's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 100
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas oled View Post
Sound like an adverntures day you will not soon forget, Great display you will be happy.
Pretty happy right now. Watched World War Z off the Netflix app just to check it out and ya the blacks was black lol. Never seen a TV where the scene fade out to total black, as in I can't even tell where the TV is.

Now just gotta decide if I want a PS4 or a Oppo 103D for Blu ray and playing rips off my NAS. But, seriosuly, the PS4 doesn't have DLNA support?? Couldn't believe it when I was googling around for research.
Vegas oled likes this.
Vinnces is offline  
post #6867 of 7301 Old 11-08-2014, 11:34 PM
Member
 
locdog33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 103
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Recently purchased this set and I have to say even in its infant stage the PQ blows any display I've had out of the water. I have 2 pioneer kuro 111fd a 6020fd and I've previously had the f8500 and zt60. I'm a tv fanatic but I can honestly say this set as tamed my fetish for tvs. I can't wait to see what the future holdso for OLED. True videophiles don't have to cry over the exit of plasma anymore. OLED is the future.
bakerwi, wicklow and Vegas oled like this.
locdog33 is offline  
post #6868 of 7301 Old 11-09-2014, 12:14 AM
Member
 
Oled Kidd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 54
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas oled View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oled Kidd View Post
Ok thanks alot, but input lag falls second for me in comparison to PQ, which set would you say has better PQ ? And is Webos only for the ec9300 ?
I lived with both and the 9800 is a better display unless your a gamer. just read the Luke warm professional reviews on the 9300 compared to he excellent reviews the 9800 received . The processor is the biggest advantage the 9800 has.
Thanks alot Vegas Oled, and I do recall that you had both sets on hand and were comparing them back to back. And although you were critiqued for going back and forth with which set you thought was better I still commend you for having both sets and giving them a full evaluation. That's alot more than most people can say. But I have a question for you, aside from input lag what really makes the ec9300 a better gaming set ? I'm more focused on PQ then anything else.
Oled Kidd is offline  
post #6869 of 7301 Old 11-09-2014, 04:44 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Mattopotamus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,375
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 625 Post(s)
Liked: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oled Kidd View Post
Thanks alot Vegas Oled, and I do recall that you had both sets on hand and were comparing them back to back. And although you were critiqued for going back and forth with which set you thought was better I still commend you for having both sets and giving them a full evaluation. That's alot more than most people can say. But I have a question for you, aside from input lag what really makes the ec9300 a better gaming set ? I'm more focused on PQ then anything else.
Input lag and it seems less susceptible to burn in
Mattopotamus is offline  
post #6870 of 7301 Old 11-09-2014, 04:48 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 51
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Is 20ms noticeable?
Mardon85 is offline  
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
Lg 55ea9800 Oled Hdtv , Lg
Gear in this thread



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off