LG 55EA9800 55" OLED Owner's thread - Page 233 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
post #6961 of 6987 Unread 11-20-2014, 06:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 250
There is no proof that break-in did anything to this TV other than burn off the precious panel life. Just enjoy it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6962 of 6987 Unread 11-20-2014, 06:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post
There is no proof that break-in did anything to this TV other than burn off the precious panel life. Just enjoy it.
Note taken, thanks for the answer Foxbat121!

The reason I was asking for this advice was that after playing around with my i1 Display Pro and with windowed grayscale patterns, I saw a light mark of the window when I was switching through the channels on my set top box.

I therefore thought that this was due to the tv being too "sensitive" during its first few hours. I do admit, it got harder and harder to see. But nevertheless, I want to make this model last as long as possible !
vaktmestern likes this.
post #6963 of 6987 Unread 11-20-2014, 07:00 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post
I agree that break in with slides would be a waste of precious panel life for this flat panel- use sound and visions settings in expert 1 and make sure to watch mostly full screen programming for the first 200 hours or so and use game mode for sports and you'll be as happy as you know what-

Coton de Tulear-IndyFab-Kuro-XBR8-Sharp Elite-LG OLED - Current Loves of my life.
post #6964 of 6987 Unread 11-20-2014, 07:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked: 292
Anything to do with slides is pure speculation at this point as we don't know how these panels age
I didn't use any, just jumped into tv and movie watching

Edit: whoops, two answers too late
post #6965 of 6987 Unread 11-20-2014, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1015 Post(s)
Liked: 700
Just as a Precaution I would avoid still images the first 200 or so hours. I would. Watch letter box but not a marathon of letter box movies and have other have stated make sure your setting are THX a or calibrated and not in dynamic mode.

These are the precautions I used and never had more than a little Ir that vanished within a day or two.
post #6966 of 6987 Unread 11-20-2014, 11:57 AM

Great,

Thanks for the feedback guys!
post #6967 of 6987 Unread 11-21-2014, 03:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomHuffman View Post
The default brightness setting of 50 crushes black quite a bit. The technically correct setting is 58 (the below-black stripes are invisible and the just-above-black stripes are visible).

Although 58 is the ideal setting, this raises the black level substantially to about 0.03 nits. Assuming 120 nits at 100% video that's only a contrast ratio of 4000:1. You can get by with a brightness setting of 56. At that level an 18 digital stripe is still clearly visible. This gives a black level reading of 0.012 or 10,000:1.

It seems that infinite contrast can be achieved only by clipping black.
Have you managed to sort this out ?

I feel like I'm in the same situation, using a pulge pattern, I can notice the default thx settings doesn't show a single black bar beyond the Reference black.

This has also been confirmed while watching Good Night and Good luck in a dimmed environment. I seem to loose alot of detail in THX mode.

When I go to set it up through in expert mode, I need to raise the brightness beyond the 60 setting at identical OLED light settings. I've not noticed many calibration results that push the brightness that high.

Is there something I should be looking for ? (apologies for the double post)
post #6968 of 6987 Unread 11-21-2014, 03:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crohny View Post
Have you managed to sort this out ?

I feel like I'm in the same situation, using a pulge pattern, I can notice the default thx settings doesn't show a single black bar beyond the Reference black.

This has also been confirmed while watching Good Night and Good luck in a dimmed environment. I seem to loose alot of detail in THX mode.

When I go to set it up through in expert mode, I need to raise the brightness beyond the 60 setting at identical OLED light settings. I've not noticed many calibration results that push the brightness that high.

Is there something I should be looking for ? (apologies for the double post)
As far as I can tell, there is nothing here that is fixable. It is a design flaw. The best you can do is to find the highest brightness setting that still provides a good contrast ratio. However, as far as I can tell it is impossible to get truly black blacks without losing shadow detail. You either clip black or lower the contrast ratio or some combination in between.

Tom Huffman
ChromaPure Software/AccuPel Video Signal Generators
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

post #6969 of 6987 Unread 11-21-2014, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomHuffman View Post
As far as I can tell, there is nothing here that is fixable. It is a design flaw. The best you can do is to find the highest brightness setting that still provides a good contrast ratio. However, as far as I can tell it is impossible to get truly black blacks without losing shadow detail. You either clip black or lower the contrast ratio or some combination in between.
That's too bad if it is a design flaw, if it's only been noticed on a few units, I could send mine back as I have 14 days to decide. I would like to avoid that though.

Nevertheless the image is still brilliant, given the fact that I watch my movies in a very dimmed light environment. (I can see the reflections of myself on the TV when I'm using my laptop in that environment)

What troubles me is that the calibration results from various sites don't put their brightness that high.
post #6970 of 6987 Unread 11-21-2014, 09:48 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crohny View Post
That's too bad if it is a design flaw, if it's only been noticed on a few units, I could send mine back as I have 14 days to decide. I would like to avoid that though.

Nevertheless the image is still brilliant, given the fact that I watch my movies in a very dimmed light environment. (I can see the reflections of myself on the TV when I'm using my laptop in that environment)

What troubles me is that the calibration results from various sites don't put their brightness that high.
Trusted reviews recommend using dynamic contrast on low to help with black crush. The reality of current TV technology is that settings that achieve reference levels usually involve compromise in one area or another. As Oled evolves no doubt its current weaknesses will improve.
My view is that the 9800 gives me the best picture I can achieve at the moment. Its not perfect but at the current prices I am happy enough. If you get too worked up about running slides and test discs nothing will satisfy! I have sent sets back in the past but they had problems that were easily visible under normal viewing.
Vegas oled likes this.
post #6971 of 6987 Unread 11-21-2014, 03:16 PM

Ok I'll take a look at that tip.

I agree it's definitely a keeper. I was just worried that my settings were different from the ones seen here and across the various forums. But then again each unit is different.
I just need to properly tune this one to my needs and enjoy the show after that
post #6972 of 6987 Unread 11-24-2014, 06:17 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I wouldn't worry. I set my brightness at 51 to keep the blacks true. Anything over that gives you light spots on 0ire. But I can barely set the 17 bar and the 18 is very dark. As far as I've heard from calibrators, that is the way it's supposed to be. I calibrated my isf day to 60ftl with all delta e's for grayscale under or around 1. And color was all under 3 with most between 1 and 2. My gamma is ruler flat to 2.2 with the exception of 5ire and 10ire are close to 2.18. Isf night at 45ftl is ruler flat all the way down. You can definitely get a lot of light output and a reference picture, it's just a pain in the butt and takes a lot of time and patience. This set has excellent shadow detail. Just poor uniformity on test patterns, not regular content. The tips from Chad are extremely helpful(Thanks Chad!) and seem to be the only method for accurate and repeatable results. I'm not a seasoned calibrator, I only calibrate my 9g pioneer a couple times, and that was a piece of cake compared to this. But with a couple nights in 2 to 3 hours sessions I was able to get this thing dialed. Once you do this set is absolutely incredible. Calibration is a must with this set.
Chad B likes this.
post #6973 of 6987 Unread 11-25-2014, 02:04 AM

Well turns out with all the obsession of getting head into the settings that I forgot to get back to the basics:

I mainly use an HTPC as a source. And who says htpc means full rgb range... So my TV was set to expect limited range and my HTPC outputing full range. No wonder I was off! And pushing the brightness up!

So now I forced xbmc/kodi to output limited range and things seem more aligned. Though I do not know if its the "cleanest" way to do this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddrain1
My gamma is ruler flat to 2.2 with the exception of 5ire and 10ire are close to 2.18. Isf night at 45ftl is ruler flat all the way down
I'm struggling to get a flat gamma, it increases from 2.10 to 2.2 from the low to 50 IRE, then it drops again after the 80 IRE mark. It seems my Luminance is slightly off the reference at these IRE.

I thought it could have been XBMC messing that up, but on a panasonic 55AS640 I had, using the same method gave a ruler flat gamma!

From looking at Chad's post, I guess I'll have to go through the 20 point IRE calibration ?
post #6974 of 6987 Unread 11-25-2014, 06:53 AM

If I set the contrast to 80 I can get almost get a flat 2.2 gamma without the 20 point but i think the picture looks much better when the contrast is set to 97. After you flatten the gamma with the 20 point it looks amazing. It's such a pain to do a 20 point calibration pass by pass but once you get it right you'll be amazed at what you see.
Crohny likes this.
post #6975 of 6987 Unread Yesterday, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddrain1 View Post
If I set the contrast to 80 I can get almost get a flat 2.2 gamma without the 20 point but i think the picture looks much better when the contrast is set to 97. After you flatten the gamma with the 20 point it looks amazing. It's such a pain to do a 20 point calibration pass by pass but once you get it right you'll be amazed at what you see.
does anyone have any isf calibrated settings that could be used until I get mine calibrated? right now using sound and vision's settings which are pretty good but not perfect-

Coton de Tulear-IndyFab-Kuro-XBR8-Sharp Elite-LG OLED - Current Loves of my life.
post #6976 of 6987 Unread Yesterday, 08:43 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I would also appreciate some settings just to get by until I get it calibrated.
Could someone kind of sum up what the best method for calibrating this TV is. Unfortunately I'm my knowledge in regards to video is very limited. Audio is my real passion, but I'd love to make the calibrating process as easy as possible for the person who will be doing it here.
Thanks in advance
post #6977 of 6987 Unread Yesterday, 08:50 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 3
My THX mode is pretty much unusable. On any dark screens the background it's dark grey rather than black. Any ideas? I've got a 5 year warranty on it and it's ex demo so God knows what's going on with it. Any brightness over about 55 starts to show the problem.
post #6978 of 6987 Unread Yesterday, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mardon85 View Post
My THX mode is pretty much unusable. On any dark screens the background it's dark grey rather than black. Any ideas? I've got a 5 year warranty on it and it's ex demo so God knows what's going on with it. Any brightness over about 55 starts to show the problem.
Does it do the same in Expert 1 or 2 mode ?

If so, try to play around with the Black Level settings: Switch from High to Low or likewise. If that has an effect, it is likely your source is emitting a different range than what your tv is expecting ?
post #6979 of 6987 Unread Yesterday, 09:01 AM

Liked: 3
No it seems fine on the other settings as long as I don't up my brightness too much. It does it on Netflix and the laptop.
post #6980 of 6987 Unread Yesterday, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrish View Post
does anyone have any isf calibrated settings that could be used until I get mine calibrated? right now using sound and vision's settings which are pretty good but not perfect-
Oled light 35(45ftl) or 50(60ftl)
Contrast 97
Brightness 51
Sharpness 10,10
Color 50

Gamut 709
Gamma 2.2
Color Temp Warm 2

2 Point WB
Low -1 0 -4
High 0 0 3

20 Point WB
95 ALL -10
90 ALL -12
85 ALL -15
80 ALL -15
75 ALL -10
70 ALL -10
65 ALL -10
60 ALL -10
55 ALL -15
50 ALL -5
45 ALL -15
40 ALL -20
35 ALL -5
30 ALL -10
25 ALL 0
20 ALL 0
15 ALL 0
10 0, -1, -1
5 ALL 0

Color Management
Red 2 0 1
Green 1 0 1
Blue 3 0 1
Cyan 2 0 2
Magenta 0 4 2
Yellow 2 0 2

Last edited by toddrain1; Yesterday at 10:58 AM.
post #6981 of 6987 Unread Yesterday, 10:00 AM

would anyone recommend a certified calibrator here in Dallas, TX? I'm thinking of Geek Squad, but the thread dedicated to it doesn't forebode anything decent. This would be the very first time I'd do it, but I'm thinking that it'll probably be worth while. just don't want to sour my first experience. I'm used to investing money into audio, not video.
post #6982 of 6987 Unread Yesterday, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reverendo View Post
would anyone recommend a certified calibrator here in Dallas, TX? I'm thinking of Geek Squad, but the thread dedicated to it doesn't forebode anything decent. This would be the very first time I'd do it, but I'm thinking that it'll probably be worth while. just don't want to sour my first experience. I'm used to investing money into audio, not video.

call this guy (Jeff Meier) he comes through Dallas a couple of times a year and he is one of the best in the business-

Jeff Meier (UMR) 1-573-480-9664 www.accucalhd.com

post #6983 of 6987 Unread Yesterday, 11:35 AM

does anyone know this company: ChaseRiver?

Last edited by reverendo; Yesterday at 11:41 AM. Reason: posting link
post #6984 of 6987 Unread Yesterday, 11:41 AM

thanks Parrish. will do.
best regards
post #6985 of 6987 Unread Yesterday, 02:02 PM

Liked: 2
hey does anyone know if the Super Resolution is safe to use? I noticed while playing video games that the picture looks a little bit sharper when it's set to medium, does anyone have any input on the super resolution setting?
post #6986 of 6987 Unread Yesterday, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xbone89 View Post
hey does anyone know if the Super Resolution is safe to use? I noticed while playing video games that the picture looks a little bit sharper when it's set to medium, does anyone have any input on the super resolution setting?
I've tried it on movies and it does looks sharper on some scenes but if you check certain slides mainly with darker material you can see it adds details that aren't really there. Check darker ire slides like 5 or lower, its easy to see it adds details around the lettering that was not there before, green highlights. I had it on low and medium for a little while but eventually turned it off. I think the picture looks more natural without it. Plus I think after the last software up 05.08.02 the phantom undefeatable DNR has either been reduced or turned off. Cable and Blu Rays seem to look sharper after it updated.
post #6987 of 6987 Unread Yesterday, 03:06 PM

Liked: 13
I have been holding off, but I would like to echo the previous poster about the last software update. Both Directv and Blu Rays look noticeably sharper and even cleaner after applying 05.08.02. If you have not applied this update, do so and post what you see.
kinglm likes this.
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
Lg 55ea9800 Oled Hdtv , Lg
Gear in this thread