post #7021 of 7036 Old 12-18-2014, 01:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by reverendo View Post
returned my unit. IR showed absolutely no sign of going away and it was pretty bad on clearer images. what a shame, since the price was fantastic. I miss the blacks already. Never saw a TV where I didn't know if it was on or off when image completely black. I'm back to using my plasma Panasonic, which isn't bad, but now I'm ruined by those black levels.
How many hours did it have when you got it and how many additional hours did you put on the set?

This model tries to do a wear-compensation every 4 hours when you turn it off. The problem with store displays is that they run them for crazy number of hours with very few power cycles (if any). This doesn't allow the TV to wear in the usual way that it was designed for in a home environment (where people typically view max 5 hours, then turn off each night). This is also why I don't recommend people run break-in slides on OLEDs for hundreds of hours without ever turning them off - it will cause lots of hours with very few compensation cycles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7022 of 7036 Old 12-18-2014, 05:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1589 Post(s)
Liked: 1684
^ Are we really that certain this is precisely the mechanism in play here? It seems to explain 'some' owner observations, but I'm not 100% convinced this is the exact process that LG has implemented. If so, you'd think LG would acknowledge it to cut back on some tech support calls and allay some fears.

BTW, I've never been a fan of slides even with plasmas. Careful choice of content for the first few hundred hours, allows the owner to at least enjoy the display from the get go.
post #7023 of 7036 Old 12-19-2014, 08:51 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizziwig View Post
How many hours did it have when you got it and how many additional hours did you put on the set?

This model tries to do a wear-compensation every 4 hours when you turn it off. The problem with store displays is that they run them for crazy number of hours with very few power cycles (if any). This doesn't allow the TV to wear in the usual way that it was designed for in a home environment (where people typically view max 5 hours, then turn off each night). This is also why I don't recommend people run break-in slides on OLEDs for hundreds of hours without ever turning them off - it will cause lots of hours with very few compensation cycles.
I don't know how many hours it had, but I put at least another 60-70 hours on it. It didn't get even a little bit better, in order to give me some hope and I really didn't want to give it back, since I got it for such a great price. I do know that it was a display unit for a very long time and that's probably what made it so bad. It's a pity, since now every time I see a dark scene I miss the TV, and I have a pana plasma. At least I know what my next step will be.
post #7024 of 7036 Old 12-19-2014, 03:28 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I was watching a recording of last week's ABC show about the Christmas light competition. The show was mostly showing shots at night and I can visibly see pixellation in the black sky background. This started happening only after applying the last update (.08). The reason I'm suspecting the update is because the update was finishing downloading and when it was done, I restarted the TV. What was before plain beautiful blacks became suddenly pixellated. Did anyone experience that?

Is there a way of un-installing a patch? I would like to go back to 05.07 and confirm.
post #7025 of 7036 Old 12-20-2014, 10:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
^ Are we really that certain this is precisely the mechanism in play here? It seems to explain 'some' owner observations, but I'm not 100% convinced this is the exact process that LG has implemented. If so, you'd think LG would acknowledge it to cut back on some tech support calls and allay some fears.

BTW, I've never been a fan of slides even with plasmas. Careful choice of content for the first few hundred hours, allows the owner to at least enjoy the display from the get go.

Someone posted a picture of the service menu which confirmed the 4 hour interval between compensation cycles. Every time you turn the TV off, it checks if it's been more than 4 hours since the last compensation timestamp and runs the cycle if required. You can observe this yourself because the set will take an unusually long time to turn off - close to a minute before the LG light turns off and you hear an audible shutdown click. On a normal shutdown, the set will turn off instantly.

The EA9800 that I evaluated a few months back definitely was able to completely remove letterbox IR during one of these compensations. I have no idea if it is able to remove IR that was caused over 100's of hours such as a store display. You have to figure that the algorithm was probably tuned for the most common consumer usage scenario of 4-5 hours daily use before a shutdown. This would result in many small compensations over the life of the set.

There are definitely still some unknowns. How does it know how much voltage compensation to apply? Is it a rough guess/prediction or do they have some kind of sensor/feedback on each pixel? Is there a limit to how many compensations are possible? Seeing how few owners are reporting permanent BI/IR, the system seems to be working OK so far.
Ken Ross and Morning5 like this.
post #7026 of 7036 Old 12-21-2014, 03:29 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Color gradients problem

I've started doing some more serious testing on two different EA9800 TV's and noticed big problems with color/grey scale gradients. I dont know if this is a common problem cause its very obvious on both my machines and I've tried every calibration setting except the 20 point system and it hasnt helped at all.
I've attached an example, not the worst one either, and hopefully someone can confirm this issue and tell me what it should be called/googled after

As I dont have 5 posts I cant post a link or picture but try this and you'll hopefully get my point.
Insert "bit" before ly

.ly/1DZRMyg
post #7027 of 7036 Old 12-22-2014, 02:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked: 297
1064 hours here
still the same 5 stuck blue sub pixels, still enjoying the hell out of this tv
Morning5 likes this.
post #7028 of 7036 Old 12-22-2014, 02:45 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5x10 View Post
1064 hours here
still the same 5 stuck blue sub pixels, still enjoying the hell out of this tv
Yes me too! 1382 hours for me.
Morning5 and 5x10 like this.
post #7029 of 7036 Old 12-22-2014, 03:31 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I have 782 on mine. I'm absolutely stunned every time I turn this thing on. I have the TV calibrated with the gamma set at 2.4 for dark room view. I watched gravity in 2D, the dark space scenes looked 3D. 2.4 gamma looks amazing with the zero blacks.
wrxlvr, kinglm, Morning5 and 1 others like this.
post #7030 of 7036 Old 12-23-2014, 08:20 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Would this be an appropriate thread to post picture settings (and would your settings be useful for me)? I'm at work and leaving town around noon today, so I won't have a chance to post mine until next week, but I'd like to try out some different settings. I've found that my DirecTV settings are VERY different than the ones for my WDTV Live, so I have my Custom settings for the WDTV and I'm messing with User1 and User2 for DirecTV. Pretty happy with what I have at the moment on User1 for DirecTV, but still open to try some others. Especially since I'm just eyeballing it, and I know that most of you probably have some calibration tools or discs that you are using.
post #7031 of 7036 Old 12-23-2014, 08:27 AM
Advanced Member

post #7032 of 7036 Old 12-23-2014, 09:06 AM

Also try using Patrik G's settings for AVForums. I used these settings for a while. They look amazing. I used these settings for night viewing and switch the gamma to 2.2 for daytime viewing. I changed color space from Wide to 709. Also increasing the RGB lows to +4 then calibrating the 20 points was very effective in restoring shadow detail and dark uniformity.

https://www.avforums.com/threads/ole...1901761/page-2
Post #41
post #7033 of 7036 Old 12-23-2014, 09:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddrain1 View Post
Also try using Patrik G's settings for AVForums. I used these settings for a while. They look amazing. I used these settings for night viewing and switch the gamma to 2.2 for daytime viewing. I changed color space from Wide to 709. Also increasing the RGB lows to +4 then calibrating the 20 points was very effective in restoring shadow detail and dark uniformity.

https://www.avforums.com/threads/ole...1901761/page-2
Post #41
His RGB lows are at 4, do you mean you increased them to 8? Thanks.
post #7034 of 7036 Old 12-23-2014, 09:44 AM

Sorry. No I just meant that was a good idea of his to set them at +4. When I finally did my calibration I did the same thing.
post #7035 of 7036 Old 12-23-2014, 08:39 PM
Advanced Member

^^

OK, thanks.
post #7036 of 7036 Old Today, 02:20 AM
AVS Special Member

I know we have a few long-time owners here. Anyone notice any significant improvements in uniformity after a few months? I'm especially curious if the "jail bars" type uniformity issue with dark gray colors has changed at all vs. when it was new. Banding image for reference can be found in this old review.

Thanks.
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
Lg 55ea9800 Oled Hdtv , Lg
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page