LG 55EA9800 55" OLED Owner's thread - Page 235 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2014, 01:35 PM
Advanced Member
 
5x10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 932
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked: 307
1064 hours here
still the same 5 stuck blue sub pixels, still enjoying the hell out of this tv
Morning5 likes this.
5x10 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-22-2014, 01:45 PM
Advanced Member
 
kinglm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 613
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5x10 View Post
1064 hours here
still the same 5 stuck blue sub pixels, still enjoying the hell out of this tv
Yes me too! 1382 hours for me.
Morning5 and 5x10 like this.
kinglm is offline  
Old 12-22-2014, 02:31 PM
Member
 
toddrain1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 121
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I have 782 on mine. I'm absolutely stunned every time I turn this thing on. I have the TV calibrated with the gamma set at 2.4 for dark room view. I watched gravity in 2D, the dark space scenes looked 3D. 2.4 gamma looks amazing with the zero blacks.
wrxlvr, kinglm, Morning5 and 1 others like this.
toddrain1 is offline  
Old 12-23-2014, 07:20 AM
Member
 
wrxlvr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 64
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Would this be an appropriate thread to post picture settings (and would your settings be useful for me)? I'm at work and leaving town around noon today, so I won't have a chance to post mine until next week, but I'd like to try out some different settings. I've found that my DirecTV settings are VERY different than the ones for my WDTV Live, so I have my Custom settings for the WDTV and I'm messing with User1 and User2 for DirecTV. Pretty happy with what I have at the moment on User1 for DirecTV, but still open to try some others. Especially since I'm just eyeballing it, and I know that most of you probably have some calibration tools or discs that you are using.
wrxlvr is offline  
Old 12-23-2014, 07:27 AM
Advanced Member
 
kinglm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 613
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 67
kinglm is offline  
Old 12-23-2014, 08:06 AM
Member
 
toddrain1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 121
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Also try using Patrik G's settings for AVForums. I used these settings for a while. They look amazing. I used these settings for night viewing and switch the gamma to 2.2 for daytime viewing. I changed color space from Wide to 709. Also increasing the RGB lows to +4 then calibrating the 20 points was very effective in restoring shadow detail and dark uniformity.

https://www.avforums.com/threads/ole...1901761/page-2
Post #41
toddrain1 is offline  
Old 12-23-2014, 08:35 AM
Advanced Member
 
kinglm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 613
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddrain1 View Post
Also try using Patrik G's settings for AVForums. I used these settings for a while. They look amazing. I used these settings for night viewing and switch the gamma to 2.2 for daytime viewing. I changed color space from Wide to 709. Also increasing the RGB lows to +4 then calibrating the 20 points was very effective in restoring shadow detail and dark uniformity.

https://www.avforums.com/threads/ole...1901761/page-2
Post #41
His RGB lows are at 4, do you mean you increased them to 8? Thanks.
kinglm is offline  
Old 12-23-2014, 08:44 AM
Member
 
toddrain1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 121
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Sorry. No I just meant that was a good idea of his to set them at +4. When I finally did my calibration I did the same thing.
toddrain1 is offline  
Old 12-23-2014, 07:39 PM
Advanced Member
 
kinglm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 613
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 67
^^

OK, thanks.
kinglm is offline  
Old 12-25-2014, 01:20 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Wizziwig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: SoCal, USA
Posts: 1,440
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked: 273
I know we have a few long-time owners here. Anyone notice any significant improvements in uniformity after a few months? I'm especially curious if the "jail bars" type uniformity issue with dark gray colors has changed at all vs. when it was new. Banding image for reference can be found in this old review.

Thanks.
Wizziwig is offline  
Old 12-25-2014, 09:14 PM
Advanced Member
 
5x10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 932
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizziwig View Post
I know we have a few long-time owners here. Anyone notice any significant improvements in uniformity after a few months? I'm especially curious if the "jail bars" type uniformity issue with dark gray colors has changed at all vs. when it was new. Banding image for reference can be found in this old review.

Thanks.
I can't speak to banding, but my gray scale uniformity issues appear to be exactly the same since the day I bought it
5x10 is offline  
Old 12-25-2014, 10:39 PM
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 306
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 98
2000+ hours and although I am not looking for it nearly as much, it seems the letterbox IR that sometimes appears (but inevitably goes away with the apparent voltage reset) has significantly improved. 3 or 4 firmware updates since then, that may have something to do with it. To echo 5x10's account, the grayscale hasn't cleared up and as Wizz has noted prior can manifest as DSE when the camera pans on darker earth tone backgrounds. Dirty backplanes, what can you do but hope for the best with M2. I still can't envision switching back to plasma or, heaven forbid, LCD.
Ken Ross, tgm1024 and Crohny like this.
sterlingjewel is offline  
Old 12-26-2014, 02:38 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Wizziwig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: SoCal, USA
Posts: 1,440
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked: 273
Thanks for sharing your experience. I was just curious if LG's compensation algorithm would have any long-term effect on it.

I'm not sure it's even a solvable issue. This "OLED Mura" has been around since the inception of the technology. Samsung still has not solved it on mobile. It may turn out to be something we need to live with similar to LCD clouding/DSE. Oh well, each tech has its pros and cons. Luckily the OLED cons are few and not apparent on most content.
Wizziwig is offline  
Old 12-26-2014, 07:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Ken Ross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: N.Y.
Posts: 26,594
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2752 Post(s)
Liked: 2468
^ CRTs had the same issue but were classified back then as 'purity' issues. They were adjustable on many CRT picture tubes via 'purity tabs' surrounding the neck of the CRT. Adjusting it was always a compromise and uniformity issues remained. It translated to the same visible problem as we have with OLEDs. I never saw a white screen on a CRT that didn't have purity issues to one degree or another.
Ken Ross is offline  
Old 12-26-2014, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Wizziwig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: SoCal, USA
Posts: 1,440
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
^ CRTs had the same issue but were classified back then as 'purity' issues. They were adjustable on many CRT picture tubes via 'purity tabs' surrounding the neck of the CRT. Adjusting it was always a compromise and uniformity issues remained. It translated to the same visible problem as we have with OLEDs. I never saw a white screen on a CRT that didn't have purity issues to one degree or another.
Yup. As a CRT owner, I can confirm that. On mine, there are small magnets on the tube to help with these landing errors. It's still not perfect and only got worse as the screen sizes increased to 34". At least you can fiddle with the issue if you know what you're doing. With current flat panels, there is nothing you can do but replace them.

I've come to the conclusion that it's extremely difficult to produce a large uniform display of any kind. Plasma got the closest but if you browse some of the owner threads, even they were not 100% immune. Best you can do is play the odds and hope you get lucky. I'm not liking my chances with the current OLED panels so I'll be staying on the sidelines for now.

As someone who hates uniformity issues above everything else, I'll keep watching most of my content on a front projector. Because they utilize very tiny < 1" micro-displays, it seems they are easier to manufacture with consistent uniformity. Either that, or they are better adjusted due to the small number of units produced each year.
Wizziwig is offline  
Old 12-26-2014, 05:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Ken Ross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: N.Y.
Posts: 26,594
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2752 Post(s)
Liked: 2468
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizziwig View Post
Yup. As a CRT owner, I can confirm that. On mine, there are small magnets on the tube to help with these landing errors. It's still not perfect and only got worse as the screen sizes increased to 34". At least you can fiddle with the issue if you know what you're doing. With current flat panels, there is nothing you can do but replace them.

I've come to the conclusion that it's extremely difficult to produce a large uniform display of any kind. Plasma got the closest but if you browse some of the owner threads, even they were not 100% immune. Best you can do is play the odds and hope you get lucky. I'm not liking my chances with the current OLED panels so I'll be staying on the sidelines for now.

As someone who hates uniformity issues above everything else, I'll keep watching most of my content on a front projector. Because they utilize very tiny < 1" micro-displays, it seems they are easier to manufacture with consistent uniformity. Either that, or they are better adjusted due to the small number of units produced each year.
Absolutely. I've seen some plasma owners claim they have 'perfect' uniformity, but I've never seen it. My Samsung F8500's uniformity is as good as I've owned, but it's certainly not perfect. Of course based on the pix I've seen from some OLED owners, it's still better than most OLEDs.
Ken Ross is offline  
Old 12-26-2014, 05:25 PM
AVS Special Member
 
tgm1024's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 7,683
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked: 1227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizziwig View Post
Yup. As a CRT owner, I can confirm that. On mine, there are small magnets on the tube to help with these landing errors. It's still not perfect and only got worse as the screen sizes increased to 34". At least you can fiddle with the issue if you know what you're doing. With current flat panels, there is nothing you can do but replace them.

I've come to the conclusion that it's extremely difficult to produce a large uniform display of any kind. Plasma got the closest but if you browse some of the owner threads, even they were not 100% immune. Best you can do is play the odds and hope you get lucky. I'm not liking my chances with the current OLED panels so I'll be staying on the sidelines for now.

As someone who hates uniformity issues above everything else, I'll keep watching most of my content on a front projector. Because they utilize very tiny < 1" micro-displays, it seems they are easier to manufacture with consistent uniformity. Either that, or they are better adjusted due to the small number of units produced each year.
I'm hopeful that there might some day in the future be a "uniformity box" of some kind that you plug your cell phone and TV into (probably wifi to the phone, and HDMI to the TV). You stand in front of the display and hold it steady while it quickly draws a series of screens and measures certain locations as they are drawn with various colors (especially white). It then builds a compensation array that is always employed in the box to dial down (or up) small parts of the screen (hopefully pixels) to keep the display even. You could plug your current cellphone in once a year if you were a fanatic to keep up with whatever may have happened to the display.

Display manufacturers could well have something like this during manufacture, (some monsterous 16K or 32K sensor over the display or something), but it would never replace the ability of the videophile to solve this problem in the field after all the uneven wear issues have resolved.

It would be doubly cool to have this ability built right into the TV. And your camera need not even be required to handle mondo resolutions either.
Morning5 likes this.

Using Artificial Life algorithms, I created a bunch of creatures and let them evolve on my system. Over the years they gained intelligence, a society, and quite a few interesting abilities. However, using the rules from their world, they concluded that I did not exist. So I created a special creature meant to spread the Word about Me with amazing magical abilities that only He had. Went well, until they decided to nail the poor Guy to a tree.
tgm1024 is offline  
Old 12-26-2014, 10:23 PM
Member
 
jh30uk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 102
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I can adjust Purity right in Monitor setting via front panel or Windows so not a big deal for high end CRT monitors and I assume TV's in service menu.


jh30uk is offline  
Old 12-27-2014, 08:45 AM
Member
 
toddrain1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 121
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Does anyone know where I can find a motion resolution test? I tried setting the Trumotion to User with the dejudder to 0 and the deblur to 10. I did this after reading hdtvtest's review of the samsung oled and some other LG LCD reviews. They used these setting and got 1080 lines of motion resolution. The motion seems a lot smoother. I've only noticed minimal to no soap opera effect when doing this. Setting the dejudder higher than 0 will introduce the SOE. On certain 1080i cable show broadcasts I've noticed hiccups but for the most part its been great. Blu rays looks amazing with these settings.
toddrain1 is offline  
Old 12-27-2014, 10:30 AM
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 306
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 98
The most motion resolution achievable with this set (by setting both TruMotion options to 0 as you have) is 600p according to tests I've read. I agree it looks pretty fantastic. There's a touch of motion blur, but its very natural in its presentation so it's something I don't mind living with. The only negative factor in this set is the near-black nonuniformity and some DSE visible in solid background, low-lighting situations.
sterlingjewel is offline  
Old 12-27-2014, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Wizziwig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: SoCal, USA
Posts: 1,440
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post
I'm hopeful that there might some day in the future be a "uniformity box" of some kind that you plug your cell phone and TV into (probably wifi to the phone, and HDMI to the TV). You stand in front of the display and hold it steady while it quickly draws a series of screens and measures certain locations as they are drawn with various colors (especially white). It then builds a compensation array that is always employed in the box to dial down (or up) small parts of the screen (hopefully pixels) to keep the display even. You could plug your current cellphone in once a year if you were a fanatic to keep up with whatever may have happened to the display.

Display manufacturers could well have something like this during manufacture, (some monsterous 16K or 32K sensor over the display or something), but it would never replace the ability of the videophile to solve this problem in the field after all the uneven wear issues have resolved.

It would be doubly cool to have this ability built right into the TV. And your camera need not even be required to handle mondo resolutions either.
This was already done more than a decade ago on cheap LCD front projectors. They performed the exact procedure you describe at the factory. You could also get to that service menu yourself but the sheer number of sample points (~300 on my old Sony 720p unit) made it totally impractical to adjust yourself. Here's a link to a thread I started back in 2004:

Sony HS20 Color Uniformity/Purity Poll

None of the LCOS or DLP projectors I've owned since have had any such issues.

I would say that for a zone compensation algorithms to work well, they will first need to switch to flat panels. The curve would make it extremely difficult to measure accurately. Also, while it would work for white color tints, I doubt it would be very effective at the near-black banding and staining (it's too high frequency and random). It might help to bring up the darker sides that are common on many OLEDs.

Last edited by Wizziwig; 12-27-2014 at 01:59 PM.
Wizziwig is offline  
Old 12-28-2014, 11:56 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 2
hey guys what is the proper gamma setting supposed to be, LOW, MED, or HIGH? I can't decide between LOW and MED.
Xbone89 is offline  
Old 12-29-2014, 04:00 AM
Senior Member
 
Masterbrew2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 363
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post
It has been posted here before.


Settings->Support->Product/Service info->Used time


I don't see 'Used time' anywhere in my Service Info... How do you guys see hours used

LG 55EA970 OLED
Masterbrew2 is offline  
Old 12-29-2014, 05:03 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 51
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Mine was the same
Mardon85 is offline  
Old 12-29-2014, 05:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Foxbat121's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: VA
Posts: 10,404
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 449 Post(s)
Liked: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterbrew2 View Post

I don't see 'Used time' anywhere in my Service Info... How do you guys see hours used

Because your TV is not the same exact TV as 55EA9800 as discussed in this thread regardless how many times thoe 970 owners claimed it is the same in this thread.


The 'Used time' is displayed just below the 'serial number' on 55EA9800. Can't speak for 55EA970.
Foxbat121 is offline  
Old 12-29-2014, 10:09 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 2
so what is the main differences between the 970 and 9800, besides the speakers? are there any picture quality differences?
Xbone89 is offline  
Old 12-29-2014, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member
 
tgm1024's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 7,683
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked: 1227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizziwig View Post
This was already done more than a decade ago on cheap LCD front projectors. They performed the exact procedure you describe at the factory. You could also get to that service menu yourself but the sheer number of sample points (~300 on my old Sony 720p unit) made it totally impractical to adjust yourself.
(rest of your post noted, just removed to address this directly). In that case, sure. However with the automated approach, the number of sample points should be as high as possible, since you would be put out of the loop and it'd be done in software with the phone directly driving the box (which directly drives the TV).

And trying this more than a decade ago (pre phones with great cameras and apps) would be problematic. Now's the time.

BTW, One of the things that could happen is that when you run it, it goes into a CCD/CMOS calibration mode so you can capture a known screen several times on several parts of the camera, including flipped, (to help normalize any biases that might exist in the camera sensor itself.

Using Artificial Life algorithms, I created a bunch of creatures and let them evolve on my system. Over the years they gained intelligence, a society, and quite a few interesting abilities. However, using the rules from their world, they concluded that I did not exist. So I created a special creature meant to spread the Word about Me with amazing magical abilities that only He had. Went well, until they decided to nail the poor Guy to a tree.
tgm1024 is offline  
Old 01-01-2015, 03:03 AM
Senior Member
 
Masterbrew2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 363
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xbone89 View Post
so what is the main differences between the 970 and 9800, besides the speakers? are there any picture quality differences?
I had the 9800 before changing it to a 970. I couldn't tell any difference besides the speakers. This thing about "hours used" not being in the service info is the first software difference I encounter...

LG 55EA970 OLED
Masterbrew2 is offline  
Old 01-01-2015, 03:23 AM
Senior Member
 
Masterbrew2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 363
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Has any of you guys had to clean your TV? Looks like somebody spilled a bit of drink on mine during the new years party.

I dunno what the screen is even made of or if its coated in something that shouldn't be touched by an alcohol cleaning solution.

Is it uncoated glass?

LG 55EA970 OLED
Masterbrew2 is offline  
Old 01-01-2015, 01:25 PM
Member
 
OfficialPG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 44
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterbrew2 View Post
Has any of you guys had to clean your TV? Looks like somebody spilled a bit of drink on mine during the new years party.

I dunno what the screen is even made of or if its coated in something that shouldn't be touched by an alcohol cleaning solution.

Is it uncoated glass?
Unplug your TV and spray some distilled water on a micro fiber cloth to wipe it down.

Last edited by OfficialPG; 01-01-2015 at 02:45 PM.
OfficialPG is offline  
 

Tags
Lg 55ea9800 Oled Hdtv , Lg
Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off