LG 55EA9800 55" OLED Owner's thread - Page 244 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #7291 of 7301 Unread 04-19-2015, 11:29 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 579 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
I'm using my home theater speakers too. Do I have to actually go into settings and turn the speakers off?

John
Yes, turn the tv speakers off, in the settings menu

Again, if my memory is correct, someone actually measured this ( a reviewer I think)
There was a debate in this thread of it actually worked or not
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7292 of 7301 Unread 04-27-2015, 02:24 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Reboots

7 months after date of purchase, mine is now rebooting randomly once or twice a week. There has been no change of equipment or cables and the latest software update is installed. Bit concerned this could be the start of a wider problem. Any suggestions? It is plugged into a surge protector and I had read that some TV's can occasionally be hindered by this, but I really can't see how, after many months, it would cause a problem now.
post #7293 of 7301 Unread 05-03-2015, 03:10 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello all

Been reading the forum for a while and getting jealous of 980 owners despite the problems of early adopters.

Finally took the plunge as been watching the last display models come down in price and managed to get a 980 for £1200 with a 5 year guarantee.As it looked in good working order thought it was low risk.

Got it home and now know what an amazing picture it has and the phrase inky blacks is not overused.

Problem is that I've noticed a big problem which is that there is image burn especially in blue where there is a samsung logo! top right and the words Vancouver City through the middle apparent in some scenes.

I've tried the 4 hour cycle fix and that has made no difference. There are also about 12 dead blue sub pixels which is a minor issue as they are hard to spot unless you watch a foot away.

My dilemma is that the set can't be exchanged but I want to keep if I can get a fix.I have been watching different material and was hoping that it might fade after a while.

I have 20 days before I will have to return if I want a refund.

Should I stay or should I go?
post #7294 of 7301 Unread 05-03-2015, 05:51 AM
Advanced Member

Location: CHI, CLD, PAR, PHX, PDX, NKC, AUK, MEL, SYD, BUE, SCL
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 14
LG 55EA9800 Rebate in France Ends Successfully

During last Christmas, LG offered a promo on an 55EA9800 purchase. The offer was a 500 Euro rebate. I searched the list of vendors and found one offering the TV for 2100 Euros. The average price was around 2800 Euros. Having a few bad experiences with rebates in the past, and knowing that French bureaucracy can be awful, I recognized it was still a good value at 2100 and really fabulous at 1600 (2100 - 500). The TV was delivered just a day before Christmas. Last week, LG finally credited by bank account with 500 Euros, only two months later than advertised. To their credit, they kept me informed that my rebate was correct and the refund would be honored. The rebate process took me three hours of online form filing, filling out paperwork and triple checking paperwork but it all worked out as promised. The rebate paperwork was a typical French experience. It was paper oriented and even required circling numbers and dates on relevant forms. You could be denied a rebate if you missed circling a number on any of the forms. The TV's image somehow seems even more beautiful knowing that I scored (relatively) a deal.

Former Top 1000 Amazon reviewer bemoaning the loss of objective user reviews. Amazon, stop your complacency!
post #7295 of 7301 Unread 05-04-2015, 11:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
I'm using my home theater speakers too. Do I have to actually go into settings and turn the speakers off?

John
yes, turn them off
again, I think I read it helped the performance of the video processor but cant say for certain
I just happened to have mine off anyways
post #7296 of 7301 Unread 05-09-2015, 12:16 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
So I exchanged my TV about a month ago and white uniformity is much better, it's practically just white. Though I think grey uniformity is messing it up. On test patterns grey uniformity is worst at 4-10% grey.

I never saw this problem on my other OLED TV, but I only had it for a few days. When the camera pans vertically 1-2 horizontal lines are visible in the background. The grey lines are visible on light to medium light backgrounds. They aren't extremely visible or annoying but I notice them most of the time. I've ruled out the video source.

Not sure what I should do. Accept the defect or try winning the panel lottery again? I'm not going back to playing the LCD TV lottery because of clouding. The LCD TVs I tried maybe/probably had uniformity issues too, I just never kept long enough to notice as I couldn't stand the clouding. But I can't really play the OLED TV lottery forever either.

My ~10 year plasma wasn't perfect either. It had quite high buzzing and got image retention very easily (e.g. from subtitles and black bars), it probably also had a lot more defects I just didn't notice. Last time I used it was ~3 years ago so I don't really remember more defects. Maybe I'm being too picky or have gotten a more picky personality as I've grown older. I want perfection...Though there's a cost difference too, this one is almost twice as expensive as my plasma was. I guess I expect more because of that.
post #7297 of 7301 Unread 05-09-2015, 12:30 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Why is the post I did today blocked? I can see it my stats by it won't show up in the thread...
post #7298 of 7301 Unread 05-09-2015, 03:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCoops View Post
7 months after date of purchase, mine is now rebooting randomly once or twice a week. There has been no change of equipment or cables and the latest software update is installed. Bit concerned this could be the start of a wider problem. Any suggestions? It is plugged into a surge protector and I had read that some TV's can occasionally be hindered by this, but I really can't see how, after many months, it would cause a problem now.
ive noticed the last couple reboots was when I watched a few titles on Netflix, then I went directly to the YouTube app
At that point, I think it's a computer/software issue
Does yours happen when your watching the apps and utilizing the software?
post #7299 of 7301 Unread 05-10-2015, 12:00 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5x10 View Post
ive noticed the last couple reboots was when I watched a few titles on Netflix, then I went directly to the YouTube app
At that point, I think it's a computer/software issue
Does yours happen when your watching the apps and utilizing the software?
No, I purposefully avoid using SMART features on this TV, as like yourself, it would reboot when using Netflix sometimes. I've actually had no more since my last post so fingers crossed.

I do have a random issue, an odd one at that, and i'm curious as to whether others have also experienced it. I find that The Dark Knight and The Dark Knight Rises are almost unwatchable on this TV. The shifting aspect ratio seems to causes real problems as the entire image will smear/smudge the moment it cuts from an IMAX scene back to a letterboxed one. It's almost as if the entire scene takes on a liquid effect. It also occurs to a lesser extent on Interstellar. The amusing thing is it will not happen with any other Blu Ray containing IMAX scenes (Tron Legacy, Hunger Games Catching Fire). The intentional dark photography of Nolan's films just seem to cause problems. I have experimented with contrast/brightness/gamma on the worst affected scenes and an unable to lessen the effect. Even tried several Blu Ray players, no luck.

Any thoughts?

This issue aside, the image is stunning on everything else.
post #7300 of 7301 Unread Today, 09:29 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Hi all, so I've been streaming some movies using the integrated web browser. After streaming for 5 minutes, the picture starts to dim - my guess is it's in power saving mode and the browser wasn't intended for streaming purposes. Anyone know what I can do to prevent the dimming?
post #7301 of 7301 Unread Today, 11:47 PM

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by shifting1234 View Post
Hi all, so I've been streaming some movies using the integrated web browser. After streaming for 5 minutes, the picture starts to dim - my guess is it's in power saving mode and the browser wasn't intended for streaming purposes. Anyone know what I can do to prevent the dimming?
As far as I know, if it detects that there is a static image on the background such as 4:3 or a website, there is no way to get it to stop dimming.
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
Lg 55ea9800 Oled Hdtv , Lg
Gear in this thread