LG 55EA9800 55" OLED Owner's thread - Page 28 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #811 of 6755 Old 03-28-2014, 12:19 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I'll also look forward to your review, especially to hear how the brightness compares with your HX950, movies, gaming, etc.

Samsung KN55S9C OLED TV
LG EL9500 OLED TV
Sony XEL-1 OLED TV (x2)
Samsung UN55C8000 3D LED TV
Samsung BD-C6900 and BD-F5900 3D Blu-ray players
Onkyo HT-S770 home theater system
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 6755 Old 03-28-2014, 12:19 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by phreaky_d View Post

Hey, can anyone please confirm for me if this TV tilts back at an angle? On page 15 of the owner's manual, it looks like it does...I was hoping that the TV has no tilt on its stand and is straight up and down. Thanks!
The demo sets that I've seen were all perpendicular to the furniture under them.
post #813 of 6755 Old 03-28-2014, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 685
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theplague13 View Post

Fadrd, yes I know you were following my saga I'm sorry I didn't mention you in my post about those who took an interest and helped out, I couldn't remember everyone's names so I just put "and a few others", lol.

After one week I am going to write a detailed, unbiased review about this set vs the 950 and approach the oled vs FALD issue head on and from every angle I can think of, including just how far the tech has come since the xbr 5 I love so much. From the origins of 1080p to the end times of it: how much can one resolution improve.

During the week I'm going to plug them both in for comparison when I stumble across content which particularly impresses me in the oled. Whatever (if anything) I think the 950 wins out in I'll justify with pics and reasons. I'll even have two separate sections for both video games and films as I feel there are fundamental differences in how tv's should be calibrated for each and I never hear about that in reviews. at the end I'll post my settings for each since I know I'll be tweaking them all week.

As of now I still have the 950....the delivery guys told me my oled was a straight delivery and nobody told them to pull the other set but on the the paper I signed accepting delivery it actually says "special instructions:remove old tv", so I don't know if they just didn't see it or what. Not to mention nobody has contacted me about how and when they're going to get that tv back so I'm starting to think it may be.....possible that it slipped through the cracks?? I'm really not sure if I should speak up or just not say anything at all. After another week I'm really gonna start to assume they just thought it was picked up and forgot about it rendering them both mine.....how crazy it would be if that actually happened though it would blow my mind.

Well I'd say that after everything you've been through, you certainly justified in hanging on to the 950 through next weekend, and even if they do call you about it, tell them that you are still awaiting which TV you want to keep and you would like them to come pick up the losing TV in a week...

It's rare to have to TVs to run side-by-side comparisons in your home - take advantage of it. I pickup up one of the last 65TZ60s in early January and had 'the best TV ever made' (at the time) home for a week to compare against out LG LED/LCD. In the end I returned the ZT60 because the family preferred the sharper image of the LED as well as having the brightness to watch during the day on occasion. I hunted for and found content to demonstrate the improved black and shadow detail of the ZT60, but the consensus was that the small incremental improvement in blacks was not justified by the loss of sharpness and brightness we've grown accustomed to. And the deal killer was when I warned the kids never to abandon the TV for more than a 10-15 minutes when playing a video game without turning it off - they looked at me like a came from another planet and said 'that's a joke, right?'

I'll be eagerly awaiting your review and head-to-head comparison with the HX950.
post #814 of 6755 Old 03-28-2014, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 328
....but if they never call me then I suppose I'll never call them either...? Catching my drift wink.gif

They've already refunded me for it, I'm pretty sure if they knew I still had t they would already have called me to arrange something. I wonder if they could find out like a year from now that I never gave it back and charge/sue me or if after a certain amount of time passes they wouldn't be able to....there's gotta be some law on that.

I mean, the tv is just going to get shipped back to sony anyways as it's marked in their system as defective, and sony will probably trash it because they don't keep around discontinued models

If I sow a wind now, I will reap a storm.
post #815 of 6755 Old 03-28-2014, 01:13 PM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:

Isf expert 1:
Oled light 80 and contrast 90. Before anyone tells me I'm crazy: I shudder to set values this high but in the case of this tv I seem to have no choice. Just to give you an idea, on my 950 backlight is at 1 for films. Now keep in mind that the smart interface, and the image underneath the settings menu when pulled up is indeed too damn bright, but when I take down the menus it's as low as I can go while still being watchable. If you're going to look at the set carefully inspect what happens when you pull down a menu over a static image if possible.
Brightness:52
H/v sharpness 20 each
Color 56
Tint g6
Dynamic contrast off
Super res low or off can't decide
Color gamut wide
Edge enhancer off as all hell (I seem to get a lot of edge enhancement on this set)
Gamma 2.4
Color temp warm 2
Color management system added 3 to blue saturation and luminance because blues seem weaker on oled
Aspect ratio just scan

I think this might be why everything seems antialiased. If your OLED LG menu is anything like my old LCD LG menu, then the sharpness setting goes from 0 to 100, where 50 is neutral. Anything less and a blur filter is applied, anything more and you start to see edge enhancement artifacts.

LG 55EA9700 OLED
post #816 of 6755 Old 03-28-2014, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

No , those settings are what I had on for movies, I have completely different ones for games, AND I've changed them multiple times since and the effect is always there and there is definitively no blur filter as the details and edges are crisp and pristine as can possibly be. They don't LOOK anti aliased, they just have less aliasing. And I've beem testing it with games where I know exactly how they look on lots of different tv's.

For games I don't put the sharpness high at all, but strike a balance it where it looks crisp with as little aliasing possible but finding that balance is usually extremely difficult whereas on this tv it's just that way no matter what, as long as it's not high enough to cause artificial edge enhancement. I also have super resolution in the advanced menu enabled for games too!

The only thing you don't want, obviously, is to put edge enhancement on because the edges are already crisp so THAT would add aliasing.

Games just show more detail and with less jaggies on this set regardless of what I do it seems. The added detail certainly comes from the set making shadowing (which is typically very poor and unrealistic in games) actually look realistic. But there are definitely no tradeoffs like blur for what I'm seeing.

Games always look best on panels of their native resolution so if they are important to you then until 4k upscalers become ridiculously awesome or 4k games actually come out, this set makes games look as great as they can possibly be by adding lifelike attributes to them which are usually muddled, and this anti aliasing anomaly that's happening somehow.

post #817 of 6755 Old 03-28-2014, 01:27 PM

Quote:

No , those settings are what I had on for movies, I have completely different ones for games, AND I've changed them multiple times and the effect is always there and there is definitively no blur filter it looks as pristine as can possibly be. I have super resolution also enabled on low for games. The only thing you don't want is edge enhancement, because the edges are perfectly crisp so THAT would add aliasing. Games just show more detail and with less jaggies on this set regardless of what I do it seems. The added detail certainly comes from the set making shadowing (which is typically very poor in games) actually look realistic. But there are definitely no tradeoffs for what I'm seeing. Games always look best on panels of their native resolution so if they are important to you then until 4k upscalers become ridiculous and also use oleds, this set will make games look more realistic through lifelike contrast, shadow detail and this anti aliasing anomaly that's happening somehow

Cool. Can't wait to get my own and try something like Infamous for PS4. The mix of dark environments and bright colorful particle effects should be amazing on OLED.

LG 55EA9700 OLED
post #818 of 6755 Old 03-28-2014, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

My god, metal gear ground zeroes is just.....what the hell. I played it on the 950 and again on here. Since it all takes place during a rainy night I cannot even stress how fabulous it looks. The oled brings an entirely new dimension to it that has to be seen to be understood. When you get one let me know as I think I've dialed in some really good settings for video games

post #819 of 6755 Old 03-28-2014, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

My friend is playing infamous on his 46" edge lit Sammy I can't wait for him to bring it over so I can see it on mine.

I fired up killzone last night and saw details I never saw in it before. the contrast from these oleds adds realistic attributes to the games that are uncanny. I definitely do recommend setting sharpness fairly on the low side but just enough to where edges are nice and crisp, and then using the super resolution mode in advanced options to add detail. On ps4 games you can push it up to medium and possibly even high without adding any artifacts as long as edge enhancement is turned off.

post #820 of 6755 Old 03-28-2014, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Oh and for the love of GOD don't forget to change aspect ratio to "just scan", or you'll ruin everything

post #821 of 6755 Old 03-28-2014, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked: 873

^^^Really great to hear Plague back from the ledge.....  :)

Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent. Unless, of course, it's to keep someone from creating a phone video in portrait mode, in which case it's a pretty good first step. Portrait mooks: KNOCK IT OFF.
post #822 of 6755 Old 03-28-2014, 03:10 PM

Quote:

My god, metal gear ground zeroes is just.....what the hell. I played it on the 950 and again on here. Since it all takes place during a rainy night I cannot even stress how fabulous it looks. The oled brings an entirely new dimension to it that has to be seen to be understood. When you get one let me know as I think I've dialed in some really good settings for video games

Ugh, can't wait!

I've purposefully put off buying these games because I wanna experience them for the first time on the new TV.

LG 55EA9700 OLED
post #823 of 6755 Old 03-28-2014, 03:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 195
Hey everybody.

Plague is having a barbeque to celebrate his new display.

Everybody meet over there by 6:30. smile.gif

Super glad you got it worked out.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #824 of 6755 Old 03-28-2014, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Indeed, beers on me over here!

post #825 of 6755 Old 03-28-2014, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Waaaait a minute, you guys were supposed to be here an hour ago !

post #826 of 6755 Old 03-28-2014, 06:06 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by pg_ice View Post

i agree
what i piece of junk this tv is.
Lol, i was looking forward for you to show up after someone has finally dissatisfied with the tv. He even mentioned that it was his mistake but you just see what you want to see it seems.
Okay you're in love with your pio, i get it, it really is a great panel but sooner or later you'll have to admit that this panel is better than your kuro.
I totally understand you but you just delay the inevitable. Sorry mate biggrin.gif

Just buy the tv if you have the budget and your struglle will be over.wink.gif

post #827 of 6755 Old 03-28-2014, 07:39 PM
AVS Special Member

My tv makes me want to tell my girlfriend to just stay home lol

post #828 of 6755 Old 03-28-2014, 08:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked: 646
post #829 of 6755 Old 03-29-2014, 02:15 AM

Liked: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brick3 View Post

Lol, i was looking forward for you to show up after someone has finally dissatisfied with the tv.

I was ironic smile.gif
Read between the lines

And yes im going to buy this one or the brighter 2014 model(depending on where the price lands) no matter what.
The antiglare filter on the kuros is a bad joke.
Thats why i want an OLED tv.
post #830 of 6755 Old 03-29-2014, 03:06 AM

Do we have any idea when the 2014 55" models come out? It sounded like the 65" and 77" wouldn't be coming until late in the year.

LG 55EA9700 OLED
post #831 of 6755 Old 03-29-2014, 03:58 AM

Plague, vinnie and other owners. How stable is the TV? Can something like a curious kitten lean against it?

Is it more or less stable than "classic" flatscreen supports like this 

LG 55EA9700 OLED
post #832 of 6755 Old 03-29-2014, 04:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Id say it's stable enough because it thickens at the base, so unless said kitty would be pressing against the upper portions of it then I wouldn't worry. but it's also very light. It's the only "big screen" tv I've ever thought was perfectly suitable to move by myself.

The problem with waiting until 2014's model is that you'll really be waiting until 2015 as it will be stupidly expensive for the first year again. They will probably improve on brightness, but as it is you shouldn't ever need to have this one at max brightness (unless you had MY previous woes). Contrast of course cannot be improved upon, and the longer you hold out the more obsolete buying a 1080p tv at a premium pricepoint will be. I'm just fine with it for now but in a couple of years it will start to become impractical. The prices are approaching really worthy levels on this set right now so if you want a 1080p OLED I see no reason to wait. I would definitely suggest tracking one down locally for 5k instead of buying one on ebay for 4.5k though because dead pixels and/or subpixels are a near certainty and you don't want to have to be shipping this thing to and fro if you get too many, or one in an intolerable spot like dead center.
Masterbrew2 likes this.

post #833 of 6755 Old 03-29-2014, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

PC won't get their refund I guess? I'm not sure, I don't really know how it all works except for the fact that they haven't mentioned it all week. Do you think they'll just call me up one day and say "hey, we know you still have that hx950!"?? I don't know. But in the meantime I'm keeping my mouth shut because the warehouse that delivered the oled certainly has yet to communicate to the store I bought the sony from that they didn't take it back even though they were supposed to, and I'm not sure they ever will.

The two dead blue only subpixels are indeed still there, reset or no. I don't think they can come back from the dead. I can see them on the ps4 menu, when you hover over the store on ps3, and only if I look really close on skies in dynamic content; but again, only if I know where to look if the content is dynamic. Regardless, it still upsets me but lg said they can replace the panel for me if I ever decide to within the year. Most likely I'll just forget about it eventually and therefore cease being able to see it, but at least I have a last resort.

post #834 of 6755 Old 03-29-2014, 09:45 AM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterbrew2 View Post

Do we have any idea when the 2014 55" models come out? It sounded like the 65" and 77" wouldn't be coming until late in the year.

I was actually thinking of pre-ordering the 65 through a Canadian retailer, as they offered me a good deal, well at least I think it's a good deal based on the rumours and the fact that prices here are higher, but they couldn't give me an ETA. Still would be twice as much as I paid for the most expensive tv i ever bought, so I'm pretty sure I would get handed the divorce papers before I even finish calibrating the tv.
post #835 of 6755 Old 03-29-2014, 10:45 AM

Liked: 16
Theplague13 Mate, i think you should see a shrink. That struggle before the issue and the joy afterwards, it was just..SO intense.

Lol,,,just kidding.biggrin.gif
Enjoy your tv mate, i certainly do.cool.gif

I'm happy that the issue's been resolved but i think you were having that issue because an option which dims the light at bright scenes was left 'on' (can't remember which one) and resetting the settings disabled it.

Btw the tv's game performance is pretty satisfying even if it has 50ish ms. I was expecting a much worse lag at fps/tps games. Now i can sell my w905 without hesitation.

Btw do you still have the 950 biggrin.gif
Imo you should return it if so. Resolving your issue is god's test for you, me thinks.rolleyes.gif
And it seems you don't need it anymore, anyways.

post #836 of 6755 Old 03-29-2014, 11:10 AM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterbrew2 View Post

Plague, vinnie and other owners. How stable is the TV? Can something like a curious kitten lean against it?

Is it more or less stable than "classic" flatscreen supports like this 

Equal stability at least. A kitten certainly wouldn't be able to tip it by leaning and probably not a full-grown cat either. It would require more torque.

Concerning the 55" models for 2014, I think there are only 2, the 1080p flat gallery set (actually a carryover and already available) and the 55EC9700 (4K). It would seem to me that if the 77" is due in August, that they would introduce the 55" to the market at least by early summer, but I'm merely speculating.
post #837 of 6755 Old 03-29-2014, 11:28 AM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

Concerning the 55" models for 2014, I think there are only 2, the 1080p flat gallery set (actually a carryover and already available) and the 55EC9700 (4K). It would seem to me that if the 77" is due in August, that they would introduce the 55" to the market at least by early summer, but I'm merely speculating.

When I was talking about this year's oled with a sales guy, I saw two model numbers in their system that I didn't see before, 55ea9700 and 55ec9300, he didn't know much on them but they were new and on backorder, 1080p and cost the same
post #838 of 6755 Old 03-29-2014, 11:36 AM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
*mind blown* I actually missed one listed on the LG PR for CES: EB9600 - an "efficient" 55" 1080p model. I'm not sure what the difference between the EC and EA designations are on the above panels, but the 9700 is the 4K series. Counting the gallery OLED, the 55EC9700, the 55EA9700, the 55EC9300, and the EB9600, that's FIVE (5) 55" model numbers for 2014. For some reason, I doubt all of these see the light of day (or perhaps one or more of the models will be used for rebranding purposes).
post #839 of 6755 Old 03-29-2014, 12:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Reading the reviews on this set, I’m pleased that a number of people have found a creative outlet on Amazon.com. Some are very humorous indeed -- I recommend reading them. Unfortunately my review, based on actually owning the TV for the last month, will not be as funny.

The Look
The physical design of this set is a thing to behold. I’ve seen it at stores and at CES in Las Vegas but it was always displayed next to a wall or another TV. I put it on a table that (for the moment anyway) is in the middle of the room. Everyone who has visited is amazed at both the curved design and how very thin the screen is. I had a washing machine repairman at the house last week and he stopped mid-room and asked “Sir, can I look at your TV?” Of course I said yes. I eat that sort of feedback up like candy.

The back is very clean and has the “classic” carbon fiber pattern to it. The very narrow bezel means that it takes only 4 inches more horizontal space than the 46” LCD it replaced.

The set can’t be wall mounted and the clear “ribbon” stand can’t be removed.
The Sound
I wasn’t planning on getting much sound from the see-through speakers in the stand but I was pleasantly surprised. Half volume was plenty loud for normal viewing. For a set of this level, I’d suggest a full home theater surround sound set up, of course. You wouldn’t want to do a sound bar on this set – it wouldn’t look good next to the clear stand.

The Picture
What can I say? This is the best picture of any TV I’ve ever owned. Black is the absence of light and that provides infinite contrast. The set is pre-calibrated at the factory. The THX mode is perfect in every respect – at least as much as the calibration equipment that I have can determine. You can’t adjust THX mode. ISF Expert modes 1 and 2 are also calibrated but you can adjust those if you feel the need.

I’m not going to post settings as I didn’t need to make any changes.

One thing. Some programming will look much better on an OLED than on a LCD set – most Blu-ray movies, TV shows that have a lot of dark backgrounds and moody lighting. But shows that are very bright – sports, talk shows, and scripted shows that are filmed with limited contrast—won’t look that much different.
I see no changes in picture quality regardless of viewing angle. You can stand facing the end of the set and the parts you can still see (mostly the opposite curved part) still looks great.

The curved design really isn’t noticeable when sitting in front of the set. I forgot about that aspect of the design almost immediately.

The Remote
The remote control I’m less happy with. It’s a virtual mouse device. You wave it in front of the TV to move a cursor around. Unfortunately the remote goes into sleep mode very quickly and I have to shake it to wake it up. You can control other devices but that’s done through an onscreen menu. So stopping a movie playing on Blu-ray means clicking the menu button, shaking the remote awake, move the cursor to the stop button on screen, and clicking.

I’m sticking with my universal remote. The LG remote is RF but the TV still listens for IR signals too. However, there’s no way to learn commands with a universal remote beyond the default codes built in.

The Delivery
A common carrier delivered the set. If you’ve not worked with a common carrier before, it’s not as straight forward an experience as with Fedex or UPS.

I ordered it on a Monday and the delivery took place 8 days later. The set is shipped in both a cardboard box and a wooden crate. The driver didn’t have tools to open the crate. So I had to do that. 15 1.5 inch screws later, we had the box out of the crate. The box itself is very simple. There are no packing materials on the screen part of the set. It’s all supported from the bottom. If this set was put on it’s side at any point during shipping, I think a lot of damage would occur to the flexible screen.

The Vendor
I ordered from Beach Camera (via Amazon). They were cheaper than Amazon at the time and there’s no sales tax. Amazon charges sales tax in Texas. This is the second time I’ve purchased a large TV from Beach and I highly recommend them.
tubby497 and Masterbrew2 like this.

Robbin
post #840 of 6755 Old 03-29-2014, 12:22 PM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 51
So what does "above black" look like vinnie?
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
Lg 55ea9800 Oled Hdtv , Lg
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page