LG 55EA9800 55" OLED Owner's thread - Page 61 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1801 of 5959 Old 04-23-2014, 07:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 79
I don't think you get charged custom fee if you live in europe I could be wrong.

Customs Duty is a tax charged on importation of goods produced outside the European Union (EU). You won't have to pay Customs Duty if you're travelling from the EU, or buying, ordering or sending goods to the UK from the EU for your own use. Follow the link below for a list of countries in the EU.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1802 of 5959 Old 04-23-2014, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Inserted my details and it removed the vat off the price i guess id pay that in customs cool.gif

And i dont live in any eu contry in a grey zone
post #1803 of 5959 Old 04-23-2014, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked: 690

LOL......the US can be nutty enough at times, but the European tax model is whacked...

WARNING: You have now entered a no @#$%tard zone. Please gather your anti-vaccine propaganda nonsense and slowly back out the way you came in.
post #1804 of 5959 Old 04-23-2014, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Mailed them a couple of questions tongue.gif
post #1805 of 5959 Old 04-23-2014, 08:06 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaktmestern View Post

Inserted my details and it removed the vat off the price i guess id pay that in customs cool.gif

And i dont live in any eu contry in a grey zone

You need to pay norwegian VAT at 25%, so deflate the UK price by 20% (UK VAT), and then add 25%. (£3000/1,2)*1,25 = £3125

vaktmestern likes this.
post #1806 of 5959 Old 04-23-2014, 08:07 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaktmestern View Post

Mailed them a couple of questions tongue.gif

vaktmestern, maybe you should wait until the new price hits Norway. It seems this new price has just arrived in Europe, and has already reached Germany, UK and Italy...

vaktmestern likes this.
post #1807 of 5959 Old 04-23-2014, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes thats the price i got aswell. smile.gif not a bad price
post #1808 of 5959 Old 04-23-2014, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterbrew2 View Post

vaktmestern, maybe you should wait until the new price hits Norway. It seems this new price has just arrived in Europe, and has already reached Germany, UK and Italy...

Can wait a mnt n see. as the Norwegian 980v oled price been at a standstill since the last big dropp
post #1809 of 5959 Old 04-23-2014, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Guys, even if you can afford it, take a deep breath.  You do not need to venture down this blind alley just yet.

LOL....we videophiles are our own worst enemies....

WARNING: You have now entered a no @#$%tard zone. Please gather your anti-vaccine propaganda nonsense and slowly back out the way you came in.
post #1810 of 5959 Old 04-23-2014, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Got a answer fast from them smile.gif price is as it saying and courier is providing tracking number ... tongue.gif god im tempted
post #1811 of 5959 Old 04-23-2014, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post

Guys, even if you can afford it, take a deep breath.  You do not need to venture down this blind alley just yet.

Well I want a TV for the world cup and I'm not gonna get a LCD now I'm I that would be silly wink.gif
post #1812 of 5959 Old 04-23-2014, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopson View Post

Quote:

Well I want a TV for the world cup and I'm not gonna get a LCD now I'm I that would be silly wink.gif

OYE.  Getting a TV for a sporting event?  You're lost in the wilderness son...

post #1813 of 5959 Old 04-23-2014, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 326
Well at this point everyone knows the short term pros and cons, while long-term remains up in the air. So as long as they're okay with that and expectations aren't unrealistic going in, by all means buy...
vaktmestern and Masterbrew2 like this.

Vinnie97, one of the kindest, most helpful and respected members here, got one of these. I wonder how much longer before we all get such a message...
You have been banned for the following reason: No reason was specified. Date the ban will be lifted: Never
Pick up the signature.
post #1814 of 5959 Old 04-23-2014, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 326
Quote:

[/quote;]
[/quote;]

Maybe he's still going to use it post sporting event

Vinnie97, one of the kindest, most helpful and respected members here, got one of these. I wonder how much longer before we all get such a message...
You have been banned for the following reason: No reason was specified. Date the ban will be lifted: Never
Pick up the signature.
post #1815 of 5959 Old 04-23-2014, 10:17 AM

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterbrew2 View Post

What do germans use to check prices?
use geizhals.de
http://geizhals.de/lg-electronics-55ea980v-a1093956.html
post #1816 of 5959 Old 04-23-2014, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theplague13 View Post

You won't get a panel with pixel perfection.

How do I know you ask?

I JUST got one, after Three attempts...four hours later it had a dead pixel.

If I were to get a new panel because of that the probability is much greater that I'd get a worse one than a better one; because, the one I got was already perfect, which was already nigh unheard of.

Could I change panels every single time a pixel died? Maybe, if I pushed it. But my god the stress. And if Wilson had to come here that many times it would be a horriffic meeting each and every time. I wouldn't blame him for quite literally wanting to shoot me.

Can you do it until it's perfect? Again: maybe, but completely doubtful you will ever reach it. Should you try? If you want to get lots of gray hairs prematurely and never enjoy your television.

If you are planning to take the route I just outlined, you should heavily consider just picking a different tv; one with problems you are more apt to live with.

If this is correct (that this year LG cannot ship OLED TVs that will not have dead pixels showing up within the first few months of use), that is a further reason to wait for the 4K OLEDs (since whatever the visibility / annoyance of a few dead pixels is at 1080p, it will be only 1/4 as visible / annoying at 4K) - though it is an even stronger reason to wait until LG gets the kinks worked out of this new technology.

Thank god for you bleeding-edge types, you are our canaries in the coalmine biggrin.gif
post #1817 of 5959 Old 04-23-2014, 01:10 PM

Quote:

Well of course I'm not just getting it for the world cup but I've been without a TV for ages now sure there's TV in other rooms but other people are using them I'm having to watch game of thrones at 2am on a DSE spewing LG LED and the rest of the time I'm watching TV off my 22inch PC monitor while sat at my desk I'm in TV limbo here ! I don't want to get a LED because of DSE, backlight bleed etc... I would get a f8500 but Samsung stopped dong them in the UK.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theplague13 

Maybe he's still going to use it post sporting event

Nah once the World cup is over its going in the bin.
post #1818 of 5959 Old 04-23-2014, 01:15 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
I hope it's not a series of continuous failures in the first few months of use, Faf! In my albeit limited experience so far, it seems the first 50 hours (maybe less) are most critical. I'm at about 115 hours on the replacement now, and the failures remain stable at 3. This is the first display tech that I've adopted in its first generation. Without us, the prospect of new generations looks even more bleak. wink.gif
post #1819 of 5959 Old 04-23-2014, 01:24 PM

Well there are a few people saying they don't have stuck pixels and saying that shop floor models aren't showing them too I couldn't say if that were true or not.

Plague how many sets have you had ? have you just had the panel replaced because maybe its the rest of the TV that's making the panels get these pixels I know that's a long shot but I'm just throwing it out there maybe the curve is to much and when they fit these panels and its causing to much stress, there are 2 or 3 people on avforums saying they haven't got any stuck pixels don't know how hard they've looked but it should be too hard to see them on a 1080p set.

I mean LG wouldn't put OLED out there if pixels died at the rate there are with you would they confused.gif

i also cant warp my head around LG having a one pixel policy for a TV that just cant delivery that.
post #1820 of 5959 Old 04-23-2014, 01:31 PM

I'm happy for (and jealous of) those fortunate fellows @ avforum. wink.gif Since he's not active currently, I'll answer for Plague because we've been following each others' saga since the beginning. He's had the panel replaced once as I have. Everything concerning the cause is speculation at this point. Those with no problems @ avforum (supposedly) throw a wrench into such speculation.
post #1821 of 5959 Old 04-23-2014, 02:09 PM

Like I said i don't know how hard they're looking but if John Lewis price match £3099 this weekend then I might be getting the TV so I'd let you know how I get on and if I do get a load of stuck pixels I'll just get a refund and i will be looking at this TV with a magnifying glass even if it would be better for my sanity if i didn't wink.gif
post #1822 of 5959 Old 04-23-2014, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopson View Post

Well there are a few people saying they don't have stuck pixels and saying that shop floor models aren't showing them too I couldn't say if that were true or not.

Plague how many sets have you had ? have you just had the panel replaced because maybe its the rest of the TV that's making the panels get these pixels I know that's a long shot but I'm just throwing it out there maybe the curve is to much and when they fit these panels and its causing to much stress, there are 2 or 3 people on avforums saying they haven't got any stuck pixels don't know how hard they've looked but it should be too hard to see them on a 1080p set.

I mean LG wouldn't put OLED out there if pixels died at the rate there are with you would they confused.gif

i also cant warp my head around LG having a one pixel policy for a TV that just cant delivery that.

LG is investing Billions of $$$$$s in this OLED initiative and I can think of a couple reasons why they might put the current OLED TVs out there now despite knowing these pixel lifetime problems exist:

1/ they already know how to fix the problem, they already know that once panels start being manufactured in higher volumes off of the new manufacturing plant, these dead pixel problems will be much less severe, and they understand that they need to seed the market with what they have now to pave the way for selling higher volumes of OLED TVs once they start rolling off of the manufacturing line late this year. In this reading, LG is not planning to make any profit from the current generation of OLEDs being produced on the pilot production line, but the understand the importance of those early sales in terms of market development. So all of you canaries are unwitting members of LG's extended WOLED marketing team and LG is going to make sure you are taken care of.

2/ they don't know how to fix the problem yet because they don't fully understand it and don't know how serious it is but they are confident enough that it can be corrected once they get enough field data and examples of failed panels to analyze. In this reading, you canaries are all unwitting members of LGs extended product engineering and product qualification team and again, LG is going to make sure that you are taken care of. Also, in this reading, while you guys think LG is doing you a service in replacing your panels, in fact you are doing LG a service in returning failed panels to them (for them to analyze and get more data).

I believe LG must have a high confidence that the problem can be understood and corrected before WOLED panels are sold in relatively high volumes 2 years from now. The cost for them to replace a few thousand WOLED panels once, twice, or even three times is miniscule compared to the investments they are making in manufacturing capacity. The same situation once annual panel sales are expected to total a million or so would be a different matter entirely...

The next time any of you canaries contacts LG about getting your defective panels replaced, I think you should insist on LG giving you an LG teeshirt and maybe even a hat - I mean, one way or the other, my read of the situation today is that one way or the other, you canaries are all acting as virtual part-time employees of the company biggrin.gif
post #1823 of 5959 Old 04-23-2014, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

I hope it's not a series of continuous failures in the first few months of use, Faf! In my albeit limited experience so far, it seems the first 50 hours (maybe less) are most critical. I'm at about 115 hours on the replacement now, and the failures remain stable at 3. This is the first display tech that I've adopted in its first generation. Without us, the prospect of new generations looks even more bleak. wink.gif

Well, I hope you are right, but on the other hand, you put your panel through a 300 hour stress-test, right? Was the 50 hours of use from a fresh start or after a 300 hour stress test?

Everyone watches their TVs for differing amounts of time, but in our case at least, it would take us at least 6 months to put 300 hours on a TV.

Maybe a new OLED would be so fantastic that we would watch it twice as often, but if 300 hours of use is the right benchmark for faulty pixels to expose themselves, that would still mean 2-3 months of use in my household (and many others, I suspect).

I don't believe the average customers is going to mess around with any kind of stress test. In fact, if things work out in a way that that kind of early stress is needed for LG WOLED TVs, I'd be worried that they are taking a significant step down the slippery slope that caused plasma to ultimately fail.

If I understood wrong and your bad pixels exposed themselves in the first 50 hours of use and without any kind of stress test first, then that's a different story and would probably translate to the fist months of normal usage or so.
post #1824 of 5959 Old 04-23-2014, 02:34 PM

From a fresh start is definitely what I mean. I only had the panel replaced last Thursday after all!

With the first panel I just started watching willy nilly without a second thought, and that one developed 4 failures that I called in about (thanks for that post above, btw, gives me more confidence in letting LG know about the defects on my present panel wink.gif). I have to estimate this all occurred within the first 50 hours of use.

I have no more than 115 total hours on the current panel and can confirm that, yes, 3 failed within the first 50 actual hours. I am interspersing my slides test with actual content occasionally. Hopefully, anyone can get to 50 hours within the first month of use at least. ;D As time progresses, the longevity test will be revealing.
post #1825 of 5959 Old 04-23-2014, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 328 Post(s)
Liked: 545
post #1826 of 5959 Old 04-23-2014, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

Quote:

CP, what are you seeing for dead-pixel complaints?
So far, I have 1 complaint.........

Out of how many panels?

post #1827 of 5959 Old 04-23-2014, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter
post #1828 of 5959 Old 04-23-2014, 03:58 PM

Quote:

So far, I have 1 complaint.........
Quote:

About 20......
Is your keyboard broken whats with all the .......... ?
post #1829 of 5959 Old 04-23-2014, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 155
I bet less then 1 out of 20 use colour slides, etc and ACTIVELY look for dead pixels. OCD types will find issues "normal" people don't, not to say the issue is not there, but most wont notice or even really care unless it's distracting when using it for normal viewing. Do I have any dead pixels? I have no idea and don't plan to find out biggrin.gif I'll check that stuff a couple of weeks before my warranty is expired. Also have that pretty large vertical band, but it's only visible less then 1% of the time, so I'm not gonna go through the hassle of replacing the panel. I used to be an OCD freak as well, but it gets to a point where you realize how utterly crazy you are and move on to obsess over something else, that is just as dumb wink.gif

If you are OCD, then do not buy this set. mad.gif

If you are normal, then enjoy the best picture money can buy biggrin.gif

I'm not ragging on any of the owners here or anything, but I don't think the average person should have any fear in buying an OLED.
post #1830 of 5959 Old 04-23-2014, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

From a fresh start is definitely what I mean. I only had the panel replaced last Thursday after all!

With the first panel I just started watching willy nilly without a second thought, and that one developed 4 failures that I called in about (thanks for that post above, btw, gives me more confidence in letting LG know about the defects on my present panel wink.gif). I have to estimate this all occurred within the first 50 hours of use.

I have no more than 115 total hours on the current panel and can confirm that, yes, 3 failed within the first 50 actual hours. I am interspersing my slides test with actual content occasionally. Hopefully, anyone can get to 50 hours within the first month of use at least. ;D As time progresses, the longevity test will be revealing.

Well that's a bit of a different situation then. If the failures expose themselves within the first 50 hours of use, you would think that LG would be pre-stressing all panels at that level to weed out the failures in advance.

At the level of 1 failing panel out of 20 (Cleveland Plasmas statistic), you would think it would be far less expensive for LG to stress all outgoing panels for 50 hours an cull out the failing 1 before shipping the good 19 rather than all of the expense and trouble associated with dealing with customer returns/replacements. At a failure rate of 1% or less, the tradeoff would be different, but at 5% or more, they ought to be pre-stressing.
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
Lg 55ea9800 Oled Hdtv , Lg
Gear in this thread - 55ea9800 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page