post #182 of 7019 Old 03-02-2014, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

Other than the input lag, the motion resolution is the only Achilles heel of this set at 600 lines (and the curve, I suppose...holding judgement until I see how detrimental it is in person). I can imagine a visual sacrifice with fast motion scenes and sports in particular but at least one owner here isn't bothered by the ensuing artifact of blur.

There was at least one review that claimed 33ms lag. Another review claimed full 1080 motion resolution. Supposedly this set does some kind of high frequency pulsing even with interpolation disabled. Maybe it depends on settings and input because the reviews are inconsistent on both issues.

I did extensive testing of the Samsung but have not been motivated enough to spend the same few hours with the LG. I just can't see myself ever buying LG anything - they make so many cheap and poorly reviewed products it's hard to take them seriously in this market segment.
post #183 of 7019 Old 03-02-2014, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Samsung oled has issues aswell rolleyes.gif and even higher input lag
post #184 of 7019 Old 03-02-2014, 04:40 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 482
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Peterson View Post

Many of us are very curious about Kateeva's progress and success.
Our Kuro is six years old and I'm eighty. eek.gif

I'm very interested in having a flat panel OLED that I can afford available before the Kuro or I fall apart. Then of course we want the kid to have a good career too. wink.gif
post #185 of 7019 Old 03-02-2014, 04:44 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked: 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

Our Kuro is six years old and I'm eighty. eek.gif I'm very interested in having a flat panel OLED that I can afford available before the Kuro or I fall apart. Then of course we want the kid to have a good career too. wink.gif
Ditch every thing just buy an OLED
post #186 of 7019 Old 03-02-2014, 04:45 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

Really it crushes the JVC! Thea's what I want an OLED screen but I can't imagine going from a 2:35 135" to 70"
Just scoot your chair forward a bit. wink.gif
post #187 of 7019 Old 03-02-2014, 04:51 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

Our Kuro is six years old and I'm eighty. eek.gif I'm very interested in having a flat panel OLED that I can afford available before the Kuro or I fall apart. Then of course we want the kid to have a good career too. wink.gif
Ditch every thing just buy an OLED
I bought the third model DLP that Samsung produced. It was the fourth generation DLP. Our Kuro was an 8G.

I can't ditch the only begotten carrier of my DNA any sooner than the forth generation OLED display. eek.gif
post #188 of 7019 Old 03-02-2014, 05:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 246
I've already tested the motion res and yes it's somewhere between 600 - 1080 lines. It's REALLY hard to see where it falls exactly. AGAIN, you can set both the anti-blur, and anti-judder to 0 which eliminates any soap opera effect and you get the full benefit of full motion res. There is NO REASON not to use the FI feature on this TV. Also no trailing or smearing. I give the edge to OLED for motion even over plasma because of the way plasma works. Plasma decay rate for green is slower then the red and blue phosphor which results in green phosphor trails and/or rainbows. Both plasma and OLED are better then any high end LCD with DFI or scanning backlight. The LG looks very solid during motion.

The LG does have some weird power limiter when displaying a full white screen. It dims the light output, but during regular viewing the whites can be blinding and the limiter doesn't seem to kick in unless there is over 60% white. Also, my set does have some faint vertical banding that is most visible on greyish backgrounds. It's not really an issue as it almost never comes up in actual viewing but it's weird as it should not be there on an OLED.
post #189 of 7019 Old 03-02-2014, 05:41 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1011
Thanks. One wonders if the banding could be an artifact of the light filters. I did see that remark at HDTVTest about the ABL kicking in gradually on full white. I am not susceptible to the phosphor trailing fortunately, so that gives me time to wait for that 77" OLED. wink.gif
post #190 of 7019 Old 03-02-2014, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member

That Samsung 8500 64" is MIGHTY fine plasma, and closest I've seen to OLED. Grab em before there gone if you cant get OLED. FALD LCD still does not compare to a high end plasma, let alone OLED. I've owned the FALD Sony 929, and it was not as good as a panny plasma I also had at the time, and I've also seen the Sharp Elite.......and plasma wins.

BTW, I've owned an insane amount of projectors and TV's over the years, and OLED is the first TV in over 6 years that has made me go WOW! The first time I went bonkers was for my 42" Panny Plasma which i paid over 4000 for biggrin.gif
post #191 of 7019 Old 03-02-2014, 06:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked: 708
post #192 of 7019 Old 03-02-2014, 07:10 PM

Already set with a ZT60, but I want blacker, and the 8500 won't do.
post #193 of 7019 Old 03-02-2014, 08:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by conan48 View Post

Also, my set does have some faint vertical banding that is most visible on greyish backgrounds. It's not really an issue as it almost never comes up in actual viewing but it's weird as it should not be there on an OLED.

That uniformity problem seems to be a common issue with the LG.

http://hdguru.com/lg-55ea9800-oled-hdtv-reviewed/

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/hdtv/hdtv-reviews/oled-curved-tv-lg-55ea980/page-3-on-the-bench.html

That's one of the few things I liked about Plasmas. They had the best uniformity of any display tech I've seen.
post #194 of 7019 Old 03-02-2014, 08:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I've already tested the motion res and yes it's somewhere between 600 - 1080 lines. It's REALLY hard to see where it falls exactly. AGAIN, you can set both the anti-blur, and anti-judder to 0 which eliminates any soap opera effect and you get the full benefit of full motion res. There is NO REASON not to use the FI feature on this TV. Also no trailing or smearing. I give the edge to OLED for motion even over plasma because of the way plasma works. Plasma decay rate for green is slower then the red and blue phosphor which results in green phosphor trails and/or rainbows. Both plasma and OLED are better then any high end LCD with DFI or scanning backlight. The LG looks very solid during motion.

So what happens in game mode? That was one of the big issues for me on the Samsung because it disables all motion enhancements in that mode. And the non-game modes had totally unusable input lag for gaming.
post #195 of 7019 Old 03-02-2014, 08:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizziwig View Post

That's one of the few things I liked about Plasmas. They had the best uniformity of any display tech I've seen.
I saw "0" uniformity issues on the set we had.
post #196 of 7019 Old 03-02-2014, 09:41 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Quote:

what the hell!?
a panel with no backlight should not have those issues.

is this a fake OLED with some secret hidden backlight on it ?
if not there must be some major problems and variations with the oled pixels or how they are driven.

tell me
it MUST be overexposed pictures?

this reminds me of my old Sony W9 with Edge lit led!
it had exactly the same pattern and you could see where the Quantum Dots on the sides where placed with the variations in light.

if im speculating here i would say that there can be some hidden Quantum Dots on the sides that helps the colorfilter and the "white" OLED pixels.

self emitting pixels? haha
not with some help here i see.

im very disappointed here as im about to get this tv in a few months

Quantum Dots and how they are mounted
1:06 into the clip

Edit: coincidence or not
my Sony W9 with QD had exactly the same wide gamut as this OLED tv has
greens and reds seems to be placed at almost the same spots on the CIE chart.
http://privat.bahnhof.se/wb192876/W9_D65.jpg
both with the same color help from QD vision?
you can only speculate i quess
steve1971 likes this.
post #197 of 7019 Old 03-02-2014, 10:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Of course they are overexposed pictures. If they were obvious during actual content, do you think people would be praising this set so much? It's 99% invisible and only really seen on test patterns. I would consider it a non-issue and don't think most people would even notice it ever. I do still wonder why it happens in the first place with each pixel having it's own light source, but I guess only the engineers at LG would know.

Gotta do some gaming tomorrow for sure.
post #198 of 7019 Old 03-02-2014, 10:36 PM

Conan: look for a small "Color IQ" logo somewhere on your tv smile.gif
post #199 of 7019 Old 03-03-2014, 03:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Of course they are overexposed pictures. If they were obvious during actual content, do you think people would be praising this set so much? It's 99% invisible and only really seen on test patterns. I would consider it a non-issue and don't think most people would even notice it ever. I do still wonder why it happens in the first place with each pixel having it's own light source, but I guess only the engineers at LG would know.

Gotta do some gaming tomorrow for sure.

They usually overexpose these type of shots because it's impossible to capture in a photo otherwise. Similar to the bright-corner issue on the JVC projectors.

So you're saying this doesn't show up at all on real content? Even things like panning camera shots of hockey or skies?

Looking forward to hearing your gaming impressions regarding lag and blur. I typically just grab a 60fps shooter like COD and spin the camera around in a circle to judge texture blur. Lag is a bit harder without a reference CRT or bodnar meter nearby.
post #200 of 7019 Old 03-03-2014, 05:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked: 275
Quote:

The LG does have some weird power limiter when displaying a full white screen. It dims the light output, but during regular viewing the whites can be blinding and the limiter doesn't seem to kick in unless there is over 60% white. Also, my set does have some faint vertical banding that is most visible on greyish backgrounds. It's not really an issue as it almost never comes up in actual viewing but it's weird as it should not be there on an OLED.

There is a polish Samsung curved OLED KE55S9 Motion Resolution Check on Youtube.

_Motion Plus ON - cca 1080 lines out of 1080 visible, full motion resolution.

Motion Plus OFF - cca 300 lines out of 1080 visible, details are lost.

Motion Resolution on the LG curved OLED EA980W is worse. It has a Motion Resolution of 300 lines. Enabling TruMotion will get you 600 lines.

btw 300 is the same as LCd's with all Motion Enhancements turned off.
post #201 of 7019 Old 03-03-2014, 06:40 AM

there is definitely something going on behind the OLED pixels on this tv.

its a clear night with some stars in the sky! wink.gif

is it the andromeda galaxy spotted on the right?

from the image above
"Photo image was taken with a 4 second exposure on a Nikon D8000 with 50mm f/1.8 lens"

if you see these kinds of problems already with 4 seconds of exposure time then there must be closed to be seen with the naked eye.

this photo is taken with a Canon 6D and 50mm f1.4 lens at f/16 on my Kuro
exposure time is 90 seconds.

you need longer exposure with f16 compared to f1.8 but still this should be equal to the above photo.
there is plenty of light hitting the sensor in 90 seconds

im starting to wonder if it is the filter on this OLED tv that blocks most of the problems.

Edit:
Quote:
In my case, I was able to occasionally see some light output while the display was supposed to be completely dark.
i should have read that review before.
http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/hdtv/hdtv-reviews/oled-curved-tv-lg-55ea980/page-3-on-the-bench.html

its a NO buy here.
im 100% sure that i will spot some of these problems in the dark and get annoyed about them.
for this price its not worth it

waiting for some true OLED tvs like the Samsung to drop in price instead.
a true OLED tv uses RGB pixels only with no added trix.
and such these problems above will not exist on those.
post #202 of 7019 Old 03-03-2014, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Other reviews stated thers no stuck sub pixles. Like the way the curved screen holds well vs reflections cool.gif Thats always a problem with glossy screens
post #203 of 7019 Old 03-03-2014, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:

Already set with a ZT60, but I want blacker, and the 8500 won't do.
They both are good TV's.
post #204 of 7019 Old 03-03-2014, 09:29 AM

^I'm personally not a fan of the F8500 but that's neither her nor there. OLED is the only meaningful black level upgrade from either of them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pg_ice View Post

there is definitely something going on behind the OLED pixels on this tv.*snip*
What you've just been reminded of is there is no perfect TV. Is the option of returning the set due to dissatisfaction not available to you? If the price dips low enough, I am still inclined to buy.
post #205 of 7019 Old 03-03-2014, 10:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

That night sky photo looks super washed out, I would not judge anything with a photo like that. I guess we will see what's up as more users buy, looks like the new pricing has given this thread fire. I have been waiting...........
post #206 of 7019 Old 03-03-2014, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked: 963
Quote:
Originally Posted by pg_ice View Post

Quote:

what the hell!?
a panel with no backlight should not have those issues.

Not true.  An emissive display requires that each element fire equally in order for there to be no uniformity artifacts.

However, I've often wondered if these things need to be turned on in front of a large camera sensor so that they can during manufacturing balance the light output somewhat ahead of time in software.  I've also wondered about to what degree TVs can be calibrated by such things, an how many of them aren't given anything at all but a rudimentary "hey it's glows" test.

Send this to all your friends! When will this stupidity end? So hysterical: Vertical Video Syndrome --- a PSA.
post #207 of 7019 Old 03-03-2014, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

That night sky photo looks super washed out,

LOL
even worse
thats a photo of an 0% IRE Black field.

what you see is dead pixels not stars.
read about it in the reviews posted earlier.

if it was a photo of the sky at night it should be ok hehe
but now all a have to say is..what the..?
post #208 of 7019 Old 03-03-2014, 10:53 AM

Misnomer. Dead pixels would be completely black. wink.gif

http://www.digitaltrends.com/tv-reviews/lg-55ea9800-review/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Trends 
Early adopters should be aware, but also understand it was an invisible issue in real-life viewing
Quote:
...from a practical standpoint, the sub-pixels are so intensely small that they weren’t visible with the naked eye from further than 1.5 feet. In fact, it took a 4-second exposure on a Nikon D8000 with a 50mm f/1.8 lens to capture the errant pixels
Quote:
But in real-life viewing sessions, these lazy pixels were completely undetectable and had zero visible impact on the performance of the television.
Quote:
Update: Since this review was published, LG contacted Digital Trends claiming that the sub-pixel anomaly we noted was due to TFT drive current deviation, explained as: " [a] phenomenon where some sub-pixels look brighter than the other ones in the area at the very low gray levels. It is only observed at extremely low gray levels, since it is a phenomenon related to TFT micro current control, and in other circumstances (as you go away from those extremely low gray levels) those brighter-looking sub-pixels are totally invisible."

etc. etc.

This is a case of nitpicking, not the sky is falling.

PS. I see no evidence that it's a 0% IRE black field on display in that photo. They don't even state the IRE used but since the phenomenon is only occurring on shades of gray, that suggests that screenshot does not depict a completely black field.
music_to_my_ear likes this.
post #209 of 7019 Old 03-03-2014, 11:11 AM

Quote:

PS. I see no evidence that it's a 0% IRE black field on display in that photo. They don't even state the IRE used but since the phenomenon is only occurring on shades of gray, that suggests that screenshot does not depict a completely black field.

Quote:
Our last test was with a 0 IRE black screen. There were around 50 or so stuck sub-pixels either white, blue or green (no red). They are extremely small, like stars in the night sky.
from the "night sky" pic above
post #210 of 7019 Old 03-03-2014, 11:16 AM

I've scoured (including a CTRL+F) the page of the Digital Trends review for that quote but not I'm not seeing it. frown.gif The only IRE I see referenced is 100 to measure max brightness.
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
Lg 55ea9800 Oled Hdtv , Lg
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page