LG 55EA9800 55" OLED Owner's thread - Page 70 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 04-30-2014, 10:24 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 103
I've just noticed that a retailer listing for the 65" 4K LG OLED has being at 240hz, instead of the 120hz for the current 55" 1080p set.

Have I missed something, or does this suggest improved motion handling...?

http://www.ncixus.com/products/?sku=95334

Desk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2014, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 764
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desk. View Post

I've just noticed that a retailer listing for the 65" 4K LG OLED has being at 240hz, instead of the 120hz for the current 55" 1080p set.

Have I missed something, or does this suggest improved motion handling...?

http://www.ncixus.com/products/?sku=95334

Desk

Has to be better (can not be worse) and coupled with frame interpolation, should deliver motion handling close to the bet LED/LCDs (but still behind plasma-level).
Old 04-30-2014, 10:53 AM

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post

Has to be better (can not be worse) and coupled with frame interpolation, should deliver motion handling close to the bet LED/LCDs (but still behind plasma-level).
The best LED picture I've seen was the Samsung F8000, which runs at 1000hz.

240hz seems pretty far away from this - so would it really be as good as the Samsung in this regard?

Desk
Old 04-30-2014, 11:05 AM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1011
If anybody gives a...

I stopped the break-in (interspersed with the occasional full-screen movies)....so ~300 hours on the set, and I'm holding at 3 dead subpixels. I'll get around to watching some 2.35:1 films (starting with 3 in a row, and LOTR as we previously discussed is a good stress test) to test for uneven aging next. Can't do it as a marathon unfortunately.
tgm1024 and herpderp like this.
Old 04-30-2014, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 725 Post(s)
Liked: 971
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

If anybody gives a...

I stopped the break-in (interspersed with the occasional full-screen movies)....so ~300 hours on the set, and I'm holding at 3 dead subpixels. I'll get around to watching some 2.35:1 films (starting with 3 in a row, and LOTR as we previously discussed is a good stress test) to test for uneven aging next. Can't do it as a marathon unfortunately.

WOO HOO!!!  Time for a mug-o-suds with some buddies!  Few chicks too.  Y'know...celebration time!

vinnie97 likes this.

Send this to all your friends! When will this stupidity end? So hysterical: Vertical Video Syndrome --- a PSA.
Old 04-30-2014, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theplague13 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post

I would have tried living with the OLED for a much longer time before bastardizing the signal.

But the reviews were so glowing I can't believe I've never heard of it before. I've got to know if it's all its cracked up to be, and from what I understand it really doesn't bastardize the signal like your run of the mill resolution manipulator.

Have you had experience with it, TGM?

No, but I'm a graphics/imaging purist AND a fault-isolating engineering purist.  I don't want to fire up a sub-conversation here on the Darbee products, but I will say they managed to do something very odd: a sharpening of sorts that doesn't crock up the calibration patterns.  Very unusual.

However, what you have is a brand new device in your home, and much more importantly: a brand new technology.  I would absolutely give the new technology a chance to stand on its own before crocking the signal being fed to it.  That way, if there's any issue at all, you don't have to wonder if it's because the darblet/cobalt/whatever is turned up a notch too high, too low, or sideways.  Square away the known variables first before adding others.

vinnie97 likes this.

Send this to all your friends! When will this stupidity end? So hysterical: Vertical Video Syndrome --- a PSA.
Old 04-30-2014, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 328
Fair enough point. At this point I have a pretty good grasp on how the set looks on its own and if something arises which I'm unsure of the cause, I'll certainly be disabling the darbee before jumping to any conclusions.

If I sow a wind now, I will reap a storm.
Old 04-30-2014, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 764
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desk. View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post

The best LED picture I've seen was the Samsung F8000, which runs at 1000hz.

240hz seems pretty far away from this - so would it really be as good as the Samsung in this regard?

Desk

I think you better clarify what you mean by that. What is the native refresh rate of the panel? What is the effective refresh rate of the panel? What is the action rate of the scanning backlight? How many segments does the scanning backlight have?

There is no LCD panel out there that refreshes at 1000Hz (240Hz is pretty much the max for native refresh rate, and relatively rare).
Old 04-30-2014, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 228
Quote:

No, but I'm a graphics/imaging purist AND a fault-isolating engineering purist.  I don't want to fire up a sub-conversation here on the Darbee products, but I will say they managed to do something very odd: a sharpening of sorts that doesn't crock up the calibration patterns.  Very unusual.

However, what you have is a brand new device in your home, and much more importantly: a brand new technology.  I would absolutely give the new technology a chance to stand on its own before crocking the signal being fed to it.  That way, if there's any issue at all, you don't have to wonder if it's because the darblet/cobalt/whatever is turned up a notch too high, too low, or sideways.  Square away the known variables first before adding others.

HDGuru gave a detailed review of the product. Worth reading.

http://hdguru.com/darbeevision-darblet-hdtv-dvp-5000-review/
Old 04-30-2014, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenland View Post

Quote:

HDGuru gave a detailed review of the product. Worth reading.

http://hdguru.com/darbeevision-darblet-hdtv-dvp-5000-review/

Yep, read it months ago.  I might get a darbee, but I'm waiting for the 2K prices to plummet.  Does it work with 4:4:4?

Old 04-30-2014, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If anybody gives a...

Ooh ooh I give a blank too!

Let us know how it goes! Still far away from 2:35:1 myself but in other news....

We had a firmware update today, nearly half a gig and I just so happened to check my slides....would you believe one of my dead subs has vanished? It looks like I now onky have two. Whethere the update had anything to do with that or not I'm unsure but it's awfully coincidental so after dl'ing it I'd check yours again too.

But either way, enjoy your tv now.

Old 04-30-2014, 01:27 PM

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Does LG not publish any changelogs for their fw updates?
Old 04-30-2014, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked: 708
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaktmestern View Post

Dont trust that retailer rolleyes.gif the day Clevland plasma gets dates n prices i listen cool.gif
No super firm dates, sometime in summertime........
vaktmestern likes this.
Old 04-30-2014, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

I didn't even check it to be honest, but i highly doubt it says "fixes some dead pixels" in the patch notes lol

Old 04-30-2014, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I didn't even check it to be honest, but in highly doubt it says "fixes some dead pixels" in the patch notes lol

"Fixes pixel we forgot to enable 3.765 inches from the left and 7 inches from the bottom.  We've got over 2 million of them.  Hard to keep track of the buggers.  Sorry for the inconvenience."

Old 04-30-2014, 01:45 PM

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Hehe yeah, probably not.
Probably the usual smart OS update. Easy to check if other LG TV owners also got an update today.
Old 04-30-2014, 01:51 PM

^By damn, there's one for mine too. Quite the revision jump, 3.xx.xx to 5.xx.xx. eek.gif
Old 04-30-2014, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

^By damn, there's one for mine too. Quite the revision jump, 3.xx.xx to 5.xx.xx. eek.gif

That's cause it fixes two pixels.

Old 04-30-2014, 01:53 PM

shhh, you're going to jinx me. wink.gif Plague's, yours must've been a temporary failure or, rather, a stuck subpixel. I can't deny I won't go looking after the upgrade completes, but I don't expect anything.
Old 04-30-2014, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

"Fixes pixel we forgot to enable 3.765 inches from the left and 7 inches from the bottom.  We've got over 2 million of them.  Hard to keep track of the buggers.  Sorry for the inconvenience."

Thats the exact line, followed by
"Theplague13 on AVS, we trust you will take this as a gesture of good will and stop pestering us with your obsessive analytics. Enjoy your extra pixel and kindly stop calling."

Vinnie I'm sorry, Wilson called. He told me this is the first of two updates. The first being for The plague13 and the second being for Vinnie97. Looks like you've got a little more waiting to do, but rest assured theyve been no less bothered by your slide searching than mine.

Old 04-30-2014, 02:00 PM

hah! That explains why there's no such luck of my dead being awakened. wink.gif It's cool, one is almost at the bezel border itself, so I am half-tempted to not even count it in my tally.
Old 04-30-2014, 06:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Posting is slow on the old darbee forum...I don't want to derail this thread either, but a few of you I've been talking with said they have the device, I think Vak said he's got 2, so I was hoping for just a slight bit of clarification.

Really excited to see how the OLED pq could possibly be pushed even further but, I simply dont understand how it's possible for recalibration to not be necessary after darbee is applied. If the device enhances contrast and detail, even shadow detail, how is it that I won't have to re-search for the magic numbers for contrast, brightness, color and especially sharpness all over again? I just can't form a mental picture where my signal would be enhanced in all those ways, yet all my current settings would remain appropriate.

Vak or others, any way to help me imagine this actual effect please?

Thanks guys. Really looking forward to this. Over 200 hours on the tv and only 2 subpixels out which are all but unnoticeable, settings I'm finally comfortable with and no uneven wear. Some kind of quirky DSE type effect reared its head once or twice and grayscale uniformity is poor but these things truly ARE nitpickings. 99/100 images are simply too gorgeous to want to go to bed, or...read a book lol.

Video processing of all types are usually totally shunned by the AV community so when I first googled what it was after Vak's post I was sure to end up reading myself out of it but, even the staunchest, most purity oriented videophiles seem to agree it in no way hinders anything in the chain when set properly so, I couldn't wink.gif

Old 04-30-2014, 06:53 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:

Posting is slow on the old darbee forum...I don't want to derail this thread either, but a few of you I've been talking with said they have the device, I think Vak said he's got 2, so I was hoping for just a slight bit of clarification.

Really excited to see how the OLED pq could possibly be pushed even further but, I simply dont understand how it's possible for recalibration to not be necessary after darbee is applied. If the device enhances contrast and detail, even shadow detail, how is it that I won't have to re-search for the magic numbers for contrast, brightness, color and especially sharpness all over again? I just can't form a mental picture where my signal would be enhanced in all those ways, yet all my current settings would remain appropriate.

Vak or others, any way to help me imagine this actual effect please?

Thanks guys. Really looking forward to this. Over 200 hours on the tv and only 2 subpixels out which are all but unnoticeable, settings I'm finally comfortable with and no uneven wear. Some kind of quirky DSE type effect reared its head once or twice and grayscale uniformity is poor but these things truly ARE nitpickings. 99/100 images are simply too gorgeous to want to go to bed, or...read a book lol.

Video processing of all types are usually totally shunned by the AV community so when I first googled what it was after Vak's post I was sure to end up reading myself out of it but, even the staunchest, most purity oriented videophiles seem to agree it in no way hinders anything in the chain when set properly so, I couldn't wink.gif

Can I asked where you saw this DSE ?
Old 04-30-2014, 06:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopson View Post

Can I asked where you saw this DSE ?

Hey coop, I know I previously told you there was absolutely none but, on my second panel under VERY specific circumstances (saw it on 2 things) I noticed what looked like a little fixed grid-like pattern while panning over a purely solid color which, while not dse in the traditional sense, is the only way I can describe it. I discussed it with tgm one page backor earlier on this one I believe.

Old 04-30-2014, 07:06 PM

Quote:

Hey coop, I know I previously told you there was absolutely none but, on my second panel under VERY specific circumstances (saw it on 2 things) I noticed what looked like a little fixed grid-like pattern while panning over a purely solid color which, while not dse in the traditional sense, is the only way I can describe it. I discussed it with tgm one page backor earlier on this one I believe.

I think you've been looking to hard I can see a "fixed grid-like pattern" on almost any TV/Monitor LCD or Plasma is it like a a grid of squares with a slightly lightly lines between them that's hard to see ?
Old 04-30-2014, 07:16 PM

Screw it despite my gut telling me not to I'm gonna order this TV anyway if I see too much DSE or if too many pixels die I'll just return it within 7 days under the UK Distance Selling Regulations.
Old 04-30-2014, 07:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Dude I wasn't looking for anything because as I said to you every other time you asked, the tv has no dse; nor did I complain about it. I've never seen anything like it really. If anything it looks like those "jail bar" bands only they appear horizontally as well as vertically and are more like streaks. Like I said, it's no big deal and only appears while panning over long stretches of a single, solid color. I think it has something to do with my grayscale, which looks similarly "streaky" on my second panel, which made itself slightly noticeable during a cave scene at some point. I loaded up a game that is cell shaded with large expanses, vistas actually of solid colors (the game is called Journey if you want to look up screenshots. That particular game has been mentioned on other set's threads as bringing out hidden dse and bands due to the nature of its art style), and when the camera pans over them it just does not look good. I tried another game with similar graphics, windwaker HD, and it was the same thing only much less noticeable because there are many more details. You may not ever see it and your panel may not even have it because I dont think my first one did. I'm not upset about it. But lol I've never seen a grid pattern on a tv in my life, unless you mean the pixel grid. You are almost never in a situation where an entire landscape is one solid color being panned over. Like, really basically never.

Old 04-30-2014, 07:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopson View Post

Screw it despite my gut telling me not to I'm gonna order this TV anyway if I see too much DSE or if too many pixels die I'll just return it within 7 days under the UK Distance Selling Regulations.

Great!!! Congratulations and welcome to the club, glad to have you on board! Now we just need Vak to crumble, lol.

I'm finally at a point where I'm really happy with my tv.

Old 04-30-2014, 07:41 PM

Well I will order it Just tried and its not taking payment ether there's something wrong on the retailers end or the banks blocked it at random because its a lot of money.
Old 04-30-2014, 07:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 246
I love my darbee. Best 250.00 Home theater investment I ever made.

There is life pre darbee, and post darbee, and life is much nicer in a darbee world. It really adds an extra layer of depth to 2D images, and "enhances" detail without any negative effects like ringing. It's like magic. LOL.

I find a setting of 35 on the HD preset gives the best picture.

Tags
Lg 55ea9800 Oled Hdtv , Lg
Gear in this thread