Forum Jump: 

post #2401 of 6801 Old 05-06-2014, 01:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1011
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post

Are those grays being done entirely by the white subpixel, or is there an assist from the RGB?
That's an unknown to me, though I believe it to be the case...perhaps a microscopic camera would reveal all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theplague13 View Post

Didnt you just say a page or two back that it does in fact show on dynamic content, which we then attributed to the rollercoaster taking off on this thread again?

I'm sorry this has happened to you again Vinnie, but don't resolve that LG will leave you out to dry. Just because the manual states that burn in is the users fault doesn't necessarily mean they won't fix it as the manual also states dead pixels are perfectly normal (lol at the audacity of this manual!).
hehe, thanks. Yea, earthen tones mainly....dimmer brown/gray/green backgrounds, which seem to mirror the light intensity of those grayscale slides where it's most visible. The color slides themselves result in output of the individual RGB pixels at maximum intensity (versus a movie with much more dynamic lighting/brightness) and presumably without relying upon any of the white subs. Certainly, the white subpixels seem to be at the center of this controversy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2402 of 6801 Old 05-06-2014, 02:31 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterbrew2 View Post

Here's my baby, EA970, being set up in its new home.

OLED up top, Ikea down below.

I kind of dug the design of the speakers of the EA9800, but another part of me was annoyed by their unnecessariness.

Is that a pair of Beolab 9?

Sweeeeet smile.gif
post #2403 of 6801 Old 05-06-2014, 02:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

That's an unknown to me, though I believe it to be the case...perhaps a microscopic camera would reveal all..

I find it surprising to learn that the TV is making "greys" using just the white subpixel. So little real content is devoid of color information, this would be uncommon on anything real, where the TV would absolutely need to mix in some R, G, and/or B to get the correct hues.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working. (Oh, and plasma didn't die because of logistics problems, nor does OLED ship in big boxes because it comes from Korea.)
post #2404 of 6801 Old 05-06-2014, 03:34 PM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post

I find it surprising to learn that the TV is making "greys" using just the white subpixel. So little real content is devoid of color information, this would be uncommon on anything real, where the TV would absolutely need to mix in some R, G, and/or B to get the correct hues.

Not all greys, just pure greys. Looking up close, it sure looks like that is way it is done.

Even a less than pure grey would still be lion part white subpixel, with a minute amount of colored subpixel.

LG 55EA9700 OLED
post #2405 of 6801 Old 05-06-2014, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1009 Post(s)
Liked: 689

This is what I received form LG when I asked them about lifespan on the 55EA9800 OLED, hopefully they know something that has not been released.

Today at 2:11 PM

Gigi: Hello Chris. Welcome to LG Electronics U.S.A. Support only. How may I provide you with excellent service today?

Chris: Can you please tell me the lifespan of this product?

Gigi: Let me see what I can do to assist you with this Chris.

Gigi: I would like to please place you on a brief hold while I research that for you, will that be alright?

Chris: Thank you

Gigi: Thanks for holding Chris the lifespan is newly approaching 100,000 hours on average for this model.

Additionally I was offered an excellent deal on a 2 year extended warranty directly from LG which actually gives you a three year warranty.

post #2406 of 6801 Old 05-06-2014, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 568 Post(s)
Liked: 896
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas oled View Post

Gigi: Thanks for holding Chris the lifespan is newly approaching 100,000 hours on average for this model.

Still though.....100,000 hours is roughly 11.4 years.  How do they know this I wonder?  11.4 years ago was the beginning of 2003!  Half-life of 11.4years is 5.7.  That was roughly november of 2008....they couldn't have tested that either.  They don't know the life-span empirically, they are looking at an output chart and speculating.

Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent. Unless, of course, it's to keep someone from creating a phone video in portrait mode, in which case it's a pretty good first step. Portrait mooks: KNOCK IT OFF.
post #2407 of 6801 Old 05-06-2014, 03:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 618 Post(s)
Quote:

Still though.....100,000 hours is roughly 11.4 years.  How do they know this I wonder?  11.4 years ago was the beginning of 2003!  Half-life of 11.4years is 5.7.  That was roughly november of 2008....they couldn't have tested that either.  They don't know the life-span empirically, they are looking at an output chart and speculating.
Accelerated life testing at high temperatures extrapolated using formulas based on the Arrhenius equation to lifetimes at lower temperatures.
post #2408 of 6801 Old 05-06-2014, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 328
Gee, and I almost thought the all-knowing sages that live-chat for LG were going to tell you: "the lifespan is about a month, enjoy your new tv sucker!"

If I sow a wind now, I will reap a storm.
post #2409 of 6801 Old 05-06-2014, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post

Quote:

Accelerated life testing at high temperatures extrapolated using formulas based on the Arrhenius equation to lifetimes at lower temperatures.

Except that complex systems are hard to quantify.  Because of a large number of variables that are hard to discover and plot, a car can drive 4 years and show a wear curve that makes it look like it'll last 25.  But 6 months later it suddenly falls apart.  On a brand new car [OLED] model, this would be nearly impossible to predict, no?

Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent. Unless, of course, it's to keep someone from creating a phone video in portrait mode, in which case it's a pretty good first step. Portrait mooks: KNOCK IT OFF.
post #2410 of 6801 Old 05-06-2014, 04:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 618 Post(s)
Quote:

Except that complex systems are hard to quantify.  Because of a large number of variables that are hard to discover and plot, a car can drive 4 years and show a wear curve that makes it look like it'll last 25.  But 6 months later it suddenly falls apart.  On a brand new car [OLED] model, this would be nearly impossible to predict, no?
I'm certain that number is only applicable to the lifetime of the OLED itself, not the entire TV. Similar to how they tell you a projector bulb lasts 5000 hours, or the LED backlight in a TV last 50,000 hours.
post #2411 of 6801 Old 05-06-2014, 04:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1009 Post(s)
Liked: 689
Nobody really knows, if I was able to get 5 solid years by then something cooler, larger and cheaper will probably be out anyways. When I first saw an OLED it was $10,000 and I thought it would be years before I could afford one, I am shocked at the current $4k pricing. The only negative I have found is size, the picture is incredible but a 65" sure would feel more like home theater. I will at least be under LG Warranty for three years.
post #2412 of 6801 Old 05-06-2014, 05:00 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 79
The LG UK support page list this TV as a LED... anyway I've emailed them asking if the set needs to be be broken in, I doubt I'll get a straight answer.
post #2413 of 6801 Old 05-06-2014, 05:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopson View Post

The LG UK support page list this TV as a LED... anyway I've emailed them asking if the set needs to be be broken in, I doubt I'll get a straight answer.

You might get a straight answer....doesn't mean its an honest answer

post #2414 of 6801 Old 05-06-2014, 05:31 PM

Oh well its better then Samsung that wont give me any answers.
post #2415 of 6801 Old 05-06-2014, 05:33 PM

No answers = no support for that product giving more revealing proof as to what Samsung's immediate future plans entail concerning OLED.

My satisfaction with LG at the moment isn't much greater. If further compensation measures remain unsuccessful, I'm afraid I'll have no choice but to raise the issue with them.
post #2416 of 6801 Old 05-06-2014, 05:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, I think it may vary from country to country but here in the US consumer level reps, unless you get "escalated" multiple times or get really lucky, know absolutely nothing about their products. I mean when I was on line with LG and VIP line was closed I told the guy I had dead pixels and he asked me what that meant. He said "what do you mean, that your tv looks pixellated?" Yeah, it's that bad. That's why I'm surprised to hear other people, usually from different countries, get such legitimate and consistent responses on things.

post #2417 of 6801 Old 05-06-2014, 07:13 PM

Quote:

I'm sure that's the case with the earth tone backgrounds I was observing and may explain in part why the intensity of the unevenness varies on full-screen content. I don't fully understand the mechanism because RGB are devoid of it and on 100% white it's only slightly visible. I hope to take some more photos soon with a new camera phone I have coming.

Scratch that, the Moto X doesn't take good low-light photos so it may be a waste of time to reproduce, but I'll certainly try.
post #2418 of 6801 Old 05-07-2014, 06:30 AM

Quote:

No answers = no support for that product giving more revealing proof as to what Samsung's immediate future plans entail concerning OLED.

My satisfaction with LG at the moment isn't much greater. If further compensation measures remain unsuccessful, I'm afraid I'll have no choice but to raise the issue with them.

With Samsung I wasn't talking about OLED been trying to ask them if the f8500 is coming back to the UK but getting no response I expect an email from LG today or tomorrow but it will be some BS like you don't need to breakin the set at all and watching letterbox movie will do no harm.
post #2419 of 6801 Old 05-07-2014, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

I'm sure that's the case with the earth tone backgrounds I was observing and may explain in part why the intensity of the unevenness varies on full-screen content. I don't fully understand the mechanism because RGB are devoid of it and on 100% white it's only slightly visible. I hope to take some more photos soon with a new camera phone I have coming.

Scratch that, the Moto X doesn't take good low-light photos so it may be a waste of time to reproduce, but I'll certainly try.

I've lost track in all of this.  Vin, what are your return options?  (Just to know).

post #2420 of 6801 Old 05-07-2014, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

And is there any point to getting another panel from LG? I mean, if this one didn't work the next one won't either, unless it's for purposes of selling the set used.

post #2421 of 6801 Old 05-07-2014, 07:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

And is there any point to getting another panel from LG? I mean, if this one didn't work the next one won't either, unless it's for purposes of selling the set used.

Bingo.  That would be my approach too.  I can't imagine how I'd feel seeing IR/BI so soon on a TV, and for ridiculous reasons, AND after treating it with kid gloves.

herpderp likes this.

post #2422 of 6801 Old 05-07-2014, 09:02 AM

My TV is running slides in the background. I'm not seeing any uneven wear. I have watched both letterboxed content and 4:3. The slides aren't running at low brightness though.

LG 55EA9700 OLED
post #2423 of 6801 Old 05-07-2014, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

They dont need to be at low brightness, but they do need to be gray it would seem.

Im getting totally fed up, because I can already tell my panel is going to end up like vinnies or worse. The very minute this wear spills over onto dynamic content for me it's quitsville. Even beta products shouldn't wear down that fast, this is a freaking alpha build if it compounds like I'm afraid of.

Unless of course there is some cure like desk is trying to figure out in the other thread, which I too will try.

Masterbrew, have you spread all that content out? Was it for long periods? Can you give any more details on what you've watched and in what order? It sounds silky to ask but it's relevant

post #2424 of 6801 Old 05-07-2014, 10:10 AM

Quote:

I've lost track in all of this.  Vin, what are your return options?  (Just to know).
I doubt there is such an option. I may seek a refund from LG because this is pretty disheartening (understatement).
post #2425 of 6801 Old 05-07-2014, 10:51 AM

Quote:

They dont need to be at low brightness, but they do need to be gray it would seem.

Im getting totally fed up, because I can already tell my panel is going to end up like vinnies or worse. The very minute this wear spills over onto dynamic content for me it's quitsville. Even beta products shouldn't wear down that fast, this is a freaking alpha build if it compounds like I'm afraid of.

Unless of course there is some cure like desk is trying to figure out in the other thread, which I too will try.

Masterbrew, have you spread all that content out? Was it for long periods? Can you give any more details on what you've watched and in what order? It sounds silky to ask but it's relevant

Well a few them were grey.

The first 10-20 or so hours I tried to use it only in full screen or with slides running. After that I've just been doing whatever. I think the longest letterbox movie I watched was like 2 hours. 

LG 55EA9700 OLED
post #2426 of 6801 Old 05-07-2014, 11:25 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Quote:

I doubt there is such an option. I may seek a refund from LG because this is pretty disheartening (understatement).

Maybe an exchange for the flat model?

Pioneer KRP-500M (Tweaked) + Oppo BDP-103 + Mcintosh MX121/MC207/MPC1500
B&W 803D2/HTM2D/805D2 + JL Audio Fathom F112

KRP-500M Tweak Guide : http://www.avsforum.com/forum/167-pl...et-panels.html
post #2427 of 6801 Old 05-07-2014, 11:36 AM

LG got back...

Thank you for your query regarding your 55EA980W

I'm glad you came to us with your concerns! I have good news though, there should be absolutely no need for you to “run in” the TV so to speak as LED TV's do not suffer from image retention over short periods of time, the only risk would be leaving a static image on the screen for multiple hours at a time.I hope this clears up your concerns!

I hope my email has answered your query and assisted you today; I would really appreciate your feedback. Please help us to improve our customer service by completing the short survey after this email.

What i asked "Does the LG 55EA980W OLED need to be broken in with full screen content when new like plasma's to avoid uneven wear and screen burn and if so for how long"
post #2428 of 6801 Old 05-07-2014, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 708
Quote:

LG got back...

Thank you for your query regarding your 55EA980W

I'm glad you came to us with your concerns! I have good news though, there should be absolutely no need for you to “run in” the TV so to speak as LED TV's do not suffer from image retention over short periods of time, the only risk would be leaving a static image on the screen for multiple hours at a time.I hope this clears up your concerns!

I hope my email has answered your query and assisted you today; I would really appreciate your feedback. Please help us to improve our customer service by completing the short survey after this email.

What i asked "Does the LG 55EA980W OLED need to be broken in with full screen content when new like plasma's to avoid uneven wear and screen burn and if so for how long"

Letterbox bars on the screen for 'multiple hours' can be considered a 'static image' (at least over that portion of the screen)...
post #2429 of 6801 Old 05-07-2014, 11:50 AM

"no need for you to “run in” the TV so to speak as LED TV's do not suffer from image retention" that's what gets me LED! TV they don't even know what TV it is !
herpderp and Yappadappadu like this.
post #2430 of 6801 Old 05-07-2014, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 708
Quote:

"no need for you to “run in” the TV so to speak as LED TV's do not suffer from image retention" that's what gets me LED! TV they don't even know what TV it is !

Why don't you try again with a more specific question:

'Can I watch widescreen 2.35:1 movies with black letterbox bars above and below the movie content for 10 hours straight without concerns of image burn-in of the letterbox bars?'
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
Lg 55ea9800 Oled Hdtv , Lg
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page