LG 55EA9800 55" OLED Owner's thread - Page 82 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2431 of 6990 Old 05-07-2014, 12:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 79
This is what i put in full

"Does the LG 55EA980W OLED need to be broken in with full screen content when new like plasma's to avoid uneven wear and screen burn and if so for how long.

For example with a new plasma it is best to avoid watching nothing but movies in 1.85:1 for the first 300 hours because the black bars will burn in."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2432 of 6990 Old 05-07-2014, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 740
Quote:
Originally Posted by coopson View Post

"Does the LG 55EA980W OLED need to be broken in with full screen content when new like plasma's to avoid uneven wear and screen burn and if so for how long.

For example with a new plasma it is best to avoid watching nothing but movies in 1.85:1 for the first 300 hours because the black bars will burn in."

That's great, but they may not understand the reference to plasma. Since the user manual apparently makes some reference to burn-in and static images, I'd ask them specifically about that sentence of the manual and whether watching 1.85:1 movies with letterbox bars for 10 hours straight can cause burn-in and would be covered under the warranty in case it did.
post #2433 of 6990 Old 05-07-2014, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:

Do u think they will answer tha? tongue.gif even panasonic didnt officialy recommend a run in period tongue.gif
post #2434 of 6990 Old 05-07-2014, 01:09 PM

They don't even know what an OLED is so I don't think that will help
herpderp likes this.
post #2435 of 6990 Old 05-07-2014, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 160
As i se it cool.gif Even if a run in period dont do anything.. You havent ruined the tv in any way, so why not give it a go... it wont hurt
post #2436 of 6990 Old 05-07-2014, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 654 Post(s)
Liked: 938
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post

I've lost track in all of this.  Vin, what are your return options?  (Just to know).
I doubt there is such an option. I may seek a refund from LG because this is pretty disheartening (understatement).

Perhaps this is a good plan then:

1. Ask for a refund.  If they do not offer that, then....

2. Ask for a panel replacement, and

3. Sell it immediately.

This just sucks man.  But this kind of thing happening to a flagship product is off-putting.

Java developers, when I saw what has been placed into Java 8 I was immediately reminded of how I've spent so much of my life trying to protect engineers from themselves. Lambda expressions are a horrible idea. Gentlemen: the goal isn't to make code readable for a competent mid-level engineer. The goal is to make code readable for a competent mid-level engineer exhausted and hopped up on caffeine at 3 am. What a disaster Java 8 is!
post #2437 of 6990 Old 05-07-2014, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post

Perhaps this is a good plan then:

1. Ask for a refund.  If they do not offer that, then....
2. Ask for a panel replacement, and
3. Sell it immediately.

This just sucks man.  But this kind of thing happening to a flagship product is off-putting.

People here might say you should have known that a first generation would have big problems but that's not how LG sell it they'll tell you that dead pixels aren't a common fault and you're the only person that's had this problem.
post #2438 of 6990 Old 05-07-2014, 02:59 PM

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post

That's great, but they may not understand the reference to plasma. Since the user manual apparently makes some reference to burn-in and static images, I'd ask them specifically about that sentence of the manual and whether watching 1.85:1 movies with letterbox bars for 10 hours straight can cause burn-in and would be covered under the warranty in case it did.

If you ask like that, then they'll probably say "No, please avoid doing that and it's not covered by the warranty" just to be on the safe side. rolleyes.gif
post #2439 of 6990 Old 05-07-2014, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yappadappadu View Post

If you ask like that, then they'll probably say "No, please avoid doing that and it's not covered by the warranty" just to be on the safe side. rolleyes.gif

You should be in your right to say its a fault because they never say anywhere that you cant watch a movie trilogy all in a row or even watch nothing but movies they don't warn you not to, that reply just said don't leave static images on and I did ask if you should avoid watching letter box movies but I'm sure they'll say its miss use if you try to send it back.
post #2440 of 6990 Old 05-07-2014, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yappadappadu View Post

Quote:

Well that would be pretty telling, then, wouldn't it...

Caveat emptor.

Pretty telling that Samsung and LG combined sold only 7000 OLEDs in 2013.

By late 2015 (or whenever the spigot on the new M2 manufacturing line is supposed to be opened completely, LG will need to be selling more than that volume every week. Unless these problems you canaries have been reporting have already been solved, I just don't see how they can get there from here. But then if these problems have already been solved, I can't understand why they would be selling these early not-ready-for-primetime prototypes.

It's a conundrum and as the two of you continue to struggle with this early WOLED rollercoaster, I can't say it's leaving me very optimistic.
post #2441 of 6990 Old 05-07-2014, 03:36 PM

Quote:

Caveat emptor.

By late 2015 (or whenever the spigot on the new M2 manufacturing line is supposed to be opened completely, LG will need to be selling more than that volume every week. Unless these problems you canaries have been reporting have already been solved, I just don't see how they can get there from here. But then if these problems have already been solved, I can't understand why they would be selling these early not-ready-for-primetime prototypes.

It's a conundrum and as the two of you continue to struggle with this early WOLED rollercoaster, I can't say it's leaving me very optimistic.

Sent a reply to LG it will be about two days before they get back to me.

"Can I just clarify that the 55EA980W doesn't need to be "run in" you said that LED TV's do not suffer from image retention but this TV is not a LCD LED its an OLED (organic light-emitting diode) does what you said still apply ?

You also said leaving a static image on the screen for multiple hours would be the only risk but the black bars on letter box movies are static so would watching a long movie trilogy like Lord of the Rings risk the black bars burning in ?"
post #2442 of 6990 Old 05-07-2014, 03:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

Caveat emptor.

Sent a reply to LG it will be about two days before they get back to me.

"Can I just clarify that the 55EA980W doesn't need to be "run in" you said that LED TV's do not suffer from image retention but this TV is not a LCD LED its an OLED (organic light-emitting diode) does what you said still apply ?

You also said leaving a static image on the screen for multiple hours would be the only risk but the black bars on letter box movies are static so would watching a long movie trilogy like Lord of the Rings risk the black bars burning in ?"

Perfect - will be on the edge of me seat awaiting the response you get biggrin.gif
post #2443 of 6990 Old 05-07-2014, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 328
I like the idea of trying to get some clarification on that sentence in the manual, and wording it as such. LCD tv's I have seen do not have this disclaimer in their manuals.

It's funny they told you only static images would be a concern, when it really isn't....love the way you worded it about the bars being static as well though. Don't see how he can deny that.

I think the man answering still doesn't himself know, but it's another experiment nonetheless.

Every contribution helps, thanks Coopson smile.gif

If I sow a wind now, I will reap a storm.
post #2444 of 6990 Old 05-07-2014, 04:54 PM
AVS Special Member

LG has still sold thousands of these regardless....and where is everyone? I know only very few people purchased when first released, but surely some very VERY early adopters exist who bought this tv when it was ten thousand just because of their excitement at the prospect of owning the home's first OLED.

Where are any of these people now? Are there any other AV forums as widespread as this one? Surely someone whose been using the set for a whole year should be able to clear almost all this up instantly
Masterbrew2 likes this.

post #2445 of 6990 Old 05-07-2014, 06:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked: 691
post #2446 of 6990 Old 05-07-2014, 07:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

You are right, I wonder where all the owners are.........

How many LG OLEDs have you sold total?

Any chance you could send an email to all of your WOLED customers confirming they are still happy with their sets?
post #2447 of 6990 Old 05-07-2014, 07:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Quote:

If the problem was both widespread and noticeable to the average consumer, it seems likely that complaints would be showing up here. An unhappy customer is far more likely to post on a forum than a happy one...nature of the beast.

Of course, it is possible that this will happen over the summer. Sales accelerated in March with the price cuts and perhaps the buyers simply havent noticed the problems yet.
post #2448 of 6990 Old 05-07-2014, 07:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slacker711 View Post

Quote:

If the problem was both widespread and noticeable to the average consumer, it seems likely that complaints would be showing up here. An unhappy customer is far more likely to post on a forum than a happy one...nature of the beast.

Of course, it is possible that this will happen over the summer. Sales accelerated in March with the price cuts and perhaps the buyers simply havent noticed the problems yet.

If the problems are only noticeable when running color slides, the average consumer may never notice them...
post #2449 of 6990 Old 05-07-2014, 07:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If the problems are only noticeable when running color slides, the average consumer may never notice them...

Vinnies are noticeable during dynamic content, even if only on what he calls "earthy tones", and that's only from one trilogy of films.

On my last panel it was visible all the time from six hours not broken in at all.

post #2450 of 6990 Old 05-07-2014, 07:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theplague13 View Post

Vinnies are noticeable during dynamic content, even if only on what he calls "earthy tones", and that's only from one trilogy of films.

On my last panel it was visible all the time from six hours not broken in at all.

I'm not questioning that it is happening. I'm just trying to understand why we havent seen more complaints. I dont think that they have sold very many units at all, but it should be enough to get more complaints if your experiences are the norm. Is it because Vinnie (and you) are just more likely to notice visual issues? Rich customers dont care? problem isnt widespread? I dont know the answer and I'd really like to...so if there are any lurking owners of the TV, please post your experiences. You can only help the discussion.

Question for you, I think that Vinnie said upthread that his dead pixels stopped at 3 after 50 hours (or at least I think read that yesterday). Are you still seeing an increasing number of pixels dying over time?
post #2451 of 6990 Old 05-07-2014, 08:34 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1011
Yes, pixel-wise, that's accurate for me.
Quote:

I would certainly not be using up to 5 different 24-hour methods for removal as of this movement if they didn't show up on full-screen content, but I'm likely more particular than 90% to 95% of the viewing public. After which and if they're still visible, I will seek a refund and maybe jump back on the bandwagon in 2015.
post #2452 of 6990 Old 05-07-2014, 08:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm not questioning that it is happening. I'm just trying to understand why we havent seen more complaints. I dont think that they have sold very many units at all, but it should be enough to get more complaints if your experiences are the norm. Is it because Vinnie (and you) are just more likely to notice visual issues? Rich customers dont care? problem isnt widespread? I dont know the answer and I'd really like to...so if there are any lurking owners of the TV, please post your experiences. You can only help the discussion.

Question for you, I think that Vinnie said upthread that his dead pixels stopped at 3 after 50 hours (or at least I think read that yesterday). Are you still seeing an increasing number of pixels dying over time?

Nope I still only have two, one actually came back from the dead and all three happened in the first 50 hours as well, panel was perfect after installation. On my first panel they just continuously kept passing away

post #2453 of 6990 Old 05-07-2014, 08:51 PM
AVS Special Member

The general public may not have noticed our pixel problems, but they'd definitely notice this especially if it's on full screen, dynamic content. That means it's compounding itself and within a year it won't matter how particular you are because it will be damn near unwatchable for anyone. That's why I too am wanting to hear from someone whose had it a whole year!

Could it be that spreading all your content out would prevent it? Like after one letterbox movie, then a few fullscreens before another letterbox; or is it that a little bit just happens each time so that you'll get it regardless? Who knows.

post #2454 of 6990 Old 05-07-2014, 09:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The general public may not have noticed our pixel problems, but they'd definitely notice this especially if it's on full screen, dynamic content. That means it's compounding itself and within a year it won't matter how particular you are because it will be damn near unwatchable for anyone. That's why I too am wanting to hear from someone whose had it a whole year!

Could it be that spreading all your content out would prevent it? Like after one letterbox movie, then a few fullscreens before another letterbox; or is it that a little bit just happens each time so that you'll get it regardless? Who knows.

I thought there were couple other owners on the thread who had not experienced the same problem. Maybe we could ask what amount of letterbox content they have watched. From what you have reported, it sounds like if an owner was to limit their viewing to only full-screen, they may never have an issue like you and Vinnie have reported.
post #2455 of 6990 Old 05-07-2014, 09:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, well i think it's just masterbrew left as Conan hasn't been around. Masterbrew doesn't have it, and he said he watched some letterboxed content but I'm thinking it may have been very spread out, so that the tv has time to catch up to itself before more letterboxed content is watched. If that's the case, and it only happened to vinnie because he watched a whole trilogy in a row I'll feel really bad because that was my recommendation frown.gif

This would mean the tv still has a stupid issue, but is workable so long as you're always keeping tabs on how you spread out your content and don't spend too much time in any one particular aspect ratio.

OR it could be just a cumulative effect. Masterbrew may not have reached enough hours of letterboxed material yet for it to be noticeable.

I'm not sure what I should do as the next tester in line, but I'm not doing anymore break-in at this point and I haven't watched anything other than full screen content and played games. Does anybody have any suggestions for what I should do to first introduce anamorphic footage to the panel? It's got almost a hundred more hours on it since I tried watching theHobbit so I don't think any more break in time could matter. I was planning to watch a trilogy this whole time but now I'm not so sure I want to.

post #2456 of 6990 Old 05-07-2014, 09:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Nope I still only have two, one actually came back from the dead and all three happened in the first 50 hours as well, panel was perfect after installation. On my first panel they just continuously kept passing away

Well, at least that is good news. Do you know the manufacturing dates of the televisions?
post #2457 of 6990 Old 05-07-2014, 09:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well, at least that is good news. Do you know the manufacturing dates of the televisions?

Not of the tv, but the panels yes. First one was June of 2013 and this one is March of 2014. The dates are not normally visible I was only able to find them while the tech had the panel separated from the mobo.

Needless to say while the pixel situation is better, which I'm partially attributing to using the pixel flipper multiple times on the last panel (after the uneven wear I ran it overnight and if these pixels are really sensitive it may have weakened them; just speculation), my grayscale is far less uniform on the second panel. So I don't think the extra year really made much difference, though I could be wrong.

post #2458 of 6990 Old 05-07-2014, 09:50 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1011
No worries, Plague. This is something *I* wanted to know, so I was willing to take one for the team. And it could be my imagination but your white slide theory/method seems to be having some efficacy, knock on wood. Won't know until I reload the grayscale (which I'll probably do later this evening) or load up Valkryie and check the problem spots where it's most obvious.

My TV is a November 2013 unit...didn't get a chance to see the date of the panel replacement.
post #2459 of 6990 Old 05-08-2014, 12:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
I like the idea of trying to get some clarification on that sentence in the manual, and wording it as such. LCD tv's I have seen do not have this disclaimer in their manuals.

My old Samsung LCD had such a disclaimer and I often saw it in modern LCD manuals.

You don´t have an burn-in issue because of OLED. You problem is a IGZO/semiconductor problem (could be something to do with heat - for the next generation LG seems to use something like the IGNIS MaxLife solution to resolve it). Also from other owners I read, they said like you, that they didn´t have burn in issues with videogames from static objects over hours, which is a problem for many Plasma TVs. According to some reviews the LG OLED TV has a very strange "burn-in" effect. In all reviews they said it disapears over time and the used pixels are brighter than the not used pixels like from a letterbox bar. I guess it has something to do with heat from the semiconductor and the voltage behind. More heat means more OLED brightness.
But LG seems to have a solution in the next OLED generation with a new semiconductor alghoritm to avoid such issues.

From the LG SID paper:
Quote:
The latest technology called "Adaptive SVDD" which helps to reduce power consumption and also to increase the gray scale for OLED displays will be presented. This method is equipped with "external compensation technology" that is suitable for large-sized OLED displays in that it substantially reduces the number of TFTs and capacitors. This external compensation technology requires arithmetic operation, which needs to be driven externally, of Vth and the mobility of TFTs. Since Vth has a tendency to move toward the positive direction and to have a much wider variation by TFT degradation, the input voltage range has to be considered with a marginal Vth which is expected to increase. And this marginal voltage results in an increase in the supply voltage of a source driver IC and to reduce gray scale. This technology details the overhead optimization that corresponds to the Vth margin so that the power consumption is reduced and the image quality is increased. This technology was applied to a 55-in. OLED TV. It decreased the voltage by 25% and the power consumption by 30.6%. Furthermore, it increased the gray scale by 25.8%.
Quote:
A new way to drive a 55? commercial OLED panel will be discussed. The method compensates for variations in the on-current and threshold voltage by extracting the TFT characteristics of each pixel of the panel. Corrected image-data composed of gain and offset has been generated, improving the panel brightness, uniformity and lifetime.

https://www.sheridanprinting.com/pcm/sid/sessionlist.cfm
Quote:

The most LCD TVs from an average user have banding, flashlights or DSE much badder than your letterbox issue with the OLED TV and they don´t see it...
herpderp likes this.
post #2460 of 6990 Old 05-08-2014, 12:20 AM
AVS Special Member

"Badder", for real? Haha.

No DSE and flashlighting is not "badder" than breaking your tv by watching one freaking letterboxed trilogy

Extreme uneven wear is much more noticeable than those things.

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
Lg 55ea9800 Oled Hdtv , Lg
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page