LG 55EA9800 55" OLED Owner's thread - Page 85 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #2521 of 7225 Old 05-08-2014, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post

It's the only way to have both motion blur mitigation AND no added lag.

Eh. Lag doesn't matter unless you're playing first person shooters competitively. I've played three games to completion on the LG which is supposed to have horrible lag and it is utterly unnoticeable. I've been a gamer since NES came out in 1985.

That motionflow looked horrendous. I'd never sacrifice pq for it. Also most ps4 games now are 60fps, which causes no judder and as long as DNR is disabled on all sources I can't see any blur on the LG whatsoever.

If I sow a wind now, I will reap a storm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2522 of 7225 Old 05-08-2014, 07:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theplague13 View Post

Coopson, absolutely. But it was really hinging on Vinnie's findings there for awhile, which seem positive at this point.

It's a tough case though because I think every set is vastly different from the next in many ways.

1) Pixels. On my first panel they just kept dying, and dying, and dying before my eyes. On my second? I lost a couple but have never seen it on content so is mitigated to a non-issue.

2) Grayscale. My first panel was fairly uniform, save for a little "box" outline where the mobo is. Second has no box but has streaks across it both horizontally and vertically. It is only visible on pure gray and as we discussed, vast distances of primary colors.

3) Calibration. When I changed panels I had to re-tweak almost everything. This was weird for me because out of the four Sony Bravias I've owned, all of different years and models, settings could almost be copied over. My second panel with the LG seems to have very different qualities than that of my first, so you may not be able to use anybody else's settings.

4) Curve. My first panel had some minor ripples across it, while my second is pretty clearly not a "perfect" curve when any lights are on in the room. In neither case nothing was noticeable during content ever, and in fact I like the curve in action quite a bit.

5) Speakers. They look like cheap add-ons to an otherwise awesome design. If the speakerless version is available in the UK then seek that out like Masterbrew. If not then don't worry, it still looks sleek.

6) Maintenence. I'm not sure the break in helped at all, but it can't hurt. In between watching letterboxed or pillarboxed content for long stretches you apparently may have to balance things out with either full screen content or more slides. It isn't like LCD where anything goes; if I pulled half the things on this tv I did with my XBR's I'm pretty sure it would be in ruins.

7) The future. You've been following the thread so this one is pretty self-explanatory.

A list of that length could indeed be made about any tv, for anyone contesting. But I must include it all.

If you've got no problem using the warranty just incase you get a set with an absurd amount of dead pixels, then in light of Vinnies new evidence that uneven wear can be countered (which was groundbreaking), hell to the absolute yes you should buy it if you want it. It has changed the way I feel about picture quality altogether. Wow, I would never have put up with all this if that wasn't the case. I cannot go back to watching 2:35:1 on any other tv at this point, for one thing. And I do not feel rushed to make the jump for 4k because that's how happy I am with pq so it's no placeholder. Unfortunately yes, on grayscale the line is still there in the same way as the picture of it I posted so I won't, for years, be able to say it won't ruin my tv. But it's nothing right now.

I've gotten compliments on my tv by everyone who has seen it in action thus far.

For some reason I read that as "I've gotten complaints on my tv by everyone who has seen it in action thus far"
Vegas oled likes this.
post #2523 of 7225 Old 05-08-2014, 08:01 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1014
That you, Freud?!
post #2524 of 7225 Old 05-08-2014, 08:11 PM

Well I've ordered the set will be coming Tuesday I'm not going to unpack anything other then the TV its self first things first making sure there's no DSE I'll worry about pixels drying later and uneven wear later.
Vegas oled likes this.
post #2525 of 7225 Old 05-08-2014, 09:00 PM

NO DSE (grayscale's the killer) is probably too much to ask but good luck and welcome to the club!
post #2526 of 7225 Old 05-08-2014, 09:41 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1050 Post(s)
Liked: 745
I picked mine up last weekend and my family loves it so much I cannot even mention taking it back for a bigger set. Good luck, if you get a good one LG will extend your warranty from 1 to 3 years for about $160, well worth it.
post #2527 of 7225 Old 05-08-2014, 09:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:

Eh. Lag doesn't matter unless you're playing first person shooters competitively. I've played three games to completion on the LG which is supposed to have horrible lag and it is utterly unnoticeable. I've been a gamer since NES came out in 1985.

That motionflow looked horrendous. I'd never sacrifice pq for it. Also most ps4 games now are 60fps, which causes no judder and as long as DNR is disabled on all sources I can't see any blur on the LG whatsoever.

Hi Theplague13,

if you are not going to use the internal speakers I would suggest you turn Off the speakers by going inside the Audio Menu, because it adds a lot of lag.

Also can you tell me how is the lag when using game mode and with no inpuit label, please. How are he blacks when using game mode compared to the other modes, like cinema etc?

Thanks.
post #2528 of 7225 Old 05-08-2014, 10:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morning5 View Post

Hi Theplague13,

if you are not going to use the internal speakers I would suggest you turn Off the speakers by going inside the Audio Menu, because it adds a lot of lag.

Also can you tell me how is the lag when using game mode and with no inpuit label, please. How are he blacks when using game mode compared to the other modes, like cinema etc?

Thanks.

You''re absolutely right about the speakers and I always comment on that when discussing lag reported from reviews. Most reviewers do so with the internal speakers, which in many cases more than double the lag. Disabling them completely is the first thing to do on any tv if you're a gamer.

I don't think there is a difference between game mode and others in terms of lag or blacks. It appears different because it has a different extended option set, but really you can achieve a similar picture quality on all modes except vivid. Blacks are stellar on every mode; you would actually have to put in effort to not have pure blacks at all times.

720p native games look great when upscaled by this tv. Almost no aliasing at all.

The input label makes no difference unless you select pc, where it enables 4:4 chroma and disables many video options.

post #2529 of 7225 Old 05-08-2014, 10:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:

You''re absolutely right about the speakers and I always comment on that when discussing lag reported from reviews. Most reviewers do so with the internal speakers, which in many cases more than double the lag. Disabling them completely is the first thing to do on any tv if you're a gamer.

I don't think there is a difference between game mode and others in terms of lag or blacks. It appears different because it has a different extended option set, but really you can achieve a similar picture quality on all modes except vivid. Blacks are stellar on every mode; you would actually have to put in effort to not have pure blacks at all times.

720p native games look great when upscaled by this tv. Almost no aliasing at all.

The input label makes no difference unless you select pc, where it enables 4:4 chroma and disables many video options.

Thanks Theplague13,

do you use Game Mode without labeling to PC?

Well here are other things you may try disabling for even less lag:

1- Simplink Off
2- Software Update Off
3- Clear voice set to 0 then disable Speakers
4- TruMotion set to 0 Judder 0 Blur in User Mode, then turning it Off
5- In magic remote settings turn Off an option I forgot the name.
6- Even if you turn Off Speakers, lower the tv volume to 0
7- Turn Off daylight saving feature
post #2530 of 7225 Old 05-09-2014, 12:26 AM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:

I've gotten compliments on my tv by everyone who has seen it in action thus far.

Same here. I've been surprised by the people who've noticed actually. Even ones who never show any attention, interest or appreciation of nice hifi or gadgets, have paused and wondered at the image quality. My brother who is an outdoorsman that don't give two shits about hifi, still owns a crummy CRT, sat there in wonder looking at a screensaver commenting about how nice the colors were.

LG 55EA970 OLED
post #2531 of 7225 Old 05-09-2014, 12:35 AM

Quote:

Agreed about lag. Even twitchy games like Towerfall or Trials Fusion still play just fine. I don't feel like lag is holding me back certainly. If I really had ambitions to rock the high score charts, or play competitive fps, I would get a low-latency strobing TN LCD and play on my PC at 144 fps.

herpderp likes this.

LG 55EA970 OLED
post #2532 of 7225 Old 05-09-2014, 12:43 AM

What a dilemma. I may have to decide if it's worth going with another replacement or refund. Watched Star Trek (JJ Abrams' initial relaunch) and was floored by the PQ, but that one film alone left its heavy grayscale 2.35:1 imprint. This is just too high maintenance, and I wonder if I'm better off (sanity, mental health-wise) sticking the LCD back in that bedroom (which won't get much use by me, that's for sure) and settling for the ZT in the great room for a little longer while awaiting gen 2. It'll be depressing to see it go should I choose the latter.

On the other hand, if I can erase it with the pixel jogger in as little as 30 minutes, I might rough it out to avoid the hassle of bargaining with LG and then the added annoyance of having to pack it back up and ship myself.
post #2533 of 7225 Old 05-09-2014, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

What a dilemma. I may have to decide if it's worth going with another replacement or refund. Watched Star Trek (JJ Abrams' initial relaunch) and was floored by the PQ, but that one film alone left its heavy grayscale 2.35:1 imprint. This is just too high maintenance, 

Wait, you got a new 2.35:1 imprint just now from watching Star Trek? After the old imprint was somewhat diminished?

LG 55EA970 OLED
post #2534 of 7225 Old 05-09-2014, 03:35 AM

Yes. I think my set is cooked. It took all of the length of the movie using the pixel jogger to get it back to nearly clear again.
post #2535 of 7225 Old 05-09-2014, 04:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked: 259
Vinnie

Sorry to hear about what you and the others are going through.

Since you already have a ZT, I think I'd send the OLED back for a refund and give it another try next generation. After a while, unless you're comfortable selling defective TVs, you wind up with too many high end TVs laying around the house.
vinnie97 and herpderp like this.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, VideoForge HDMI II, Klein K10, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #2536 of 7225 Old 05-09-2014, 05:00 AM

Quote:

Yes. I think my set is cooked. It took all of the length of the movie using the pixel jogger to get it back to nearly clear again.

So every time you watch a letterboxed movie it leaves an imprint. That just cannot be any kind of wear or burn-in, there must be something stupid going on with the software or transistors (as per stas' theory)...

LG 55EA970 OLED
post #2537 of 7225 Old 05-09-2014, 05:02 AM

Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post

Vinnie

Sorry to hear about what you and the others are going through.

As far as I know, it's only one other person on this forum experiencing this phenonema - theplague13 - and not as yet to the same degree.

Still waiting to see if any other owners have this issue, with the likes of Masterbrew not reporting any troubles along these lines.

Desk
post #2538 of 7225 Old 05-09-2014, 05:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desk. View Post

As far as I know, it's only one other person on this forum experiencing this phenonema - theplague13 - and not as yet to the same degree.

Still waiting to see if any other owners have this issue, with the likes of Masterbrew not reporting any troubles along these lines.

Desk

Understood.

I don't have the patience for display roulette. Do you wind up with one like Vinnie or one like Masterbrew? or just say screw it and wait till next model year?

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, VideoForge HDMI II, Klein K10, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #2539 of 7225 Old 05-09-2014, 05:23 AM

Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 219
Quote:

Understood.

I don't have the patience for display roulette. Do you wind up with one like Vinnie or one like Masterbrew? or just say screw it and wait till next model year?

Fortunately, in the UK we have some excellent retailers such as John Lewis who not only offer to price match any other high street retailer but also offer a no-quibble 28-day returns period.

I've dealt with John Lewis before, have frankly been blown away by their service, and would have no reservation about any such issues when ordering from them under this cast iron reassurance.

Desk
post #2540 of 7225 Old 05-09-2014, 05:28 AM

Quote:

Understood.

Who says mine is perfect? a) I haven't watched movies as much as Vinnie. b) I haven't scrutinized it super closely. I really don't want to. I'm already finding myself looking at dim grey areas during TV shows/games to spot something. (would I have been spending time doing this if I hadn't read this thread?)

At the end of the day, my set could be the same as Vinnie's

LG 55EA970 OLED
post #2541 of 7225 Old 05-09-2014, 05:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 129
This is the worst news for me as Im biting at the bit to upgrade my 8500 LED to a 4K Oled.Maybe the 4K wont have this problem but i fear it will be worse.

Matt
post #2542 of 7225 Old 05-09-2014, 05:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 996 Post(s)
Liked: 1130
Quote:

Ok, hold on, this is important information I was wondering about: The white/black pulsing takes much less time to clear the IR than the full on white slides, and does a better job then?

If you believe you can win an argument by stating that scientists "often" get things entirely wrong, all you're doing is selectively ignoring the overwhelming legion of things they have gotten right. Viewed as an aggregate, scientists very very rarely get things entirely wrong.
post #2543 of 7225 Old 05-09-2014, 05:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 996 Post(s)
Liked: 1130
Quote:

On the other hand, if I can erase it with the pixel jogger in as little as 30 minutes, I might rough it out to avoid the hassle of bargaining with LG and then the added annoyance of having to pack it back up and ship myself.

I think that the hope that things wouldn't get worse over time might be misplaced.  :-/  What if next year something else happens, or the IR removal gets less and less effective, or takes much much longer?

If you believe you can win an argument by stating that scientists "often" get things entirely wrong, all you're doing is selectively ignoring the overwhelming legion of things they have gotten right. Viewed as an aggregate, scientists very very rarely get things entirely wrong.
post #2544 of 7225 Old 05-09-2014, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member

My panel's only better because I've been purposely avoiding letterboxed content since procuring my initial line of wear; instead running through Breaking Bad again. I'm pretty scared to try tbh, as it was terribly distracting on my first panel. But I was really thinking for a while there this wasn't going to be an issue after breaking it in.......argh

This is just nutty

post #2545 of 7225 Old 05-09-2014, 07:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post

I think that the hope that things wouldn't get worse over time might be misplaced.  :-/  What if next year something else happens, or the IR removal gets less and less effective, or takes much much longer?

.......or LG and half the public continue denying there even is a problem

post #2546 of 7225 Old 05-09-2014, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Btw to anyone who has a ps4, "The Order: 1886" which I've been looking forward to since e3 last year, is going to be in 2:35:1. It is poised to be one of the most cinematic games ever made, and one of the darkest making it perfect for this set. The entire game in anamorphic widescreen.....

.....looks like I won't be able to play it now. 30-60 hours it will probably be, haha. The screen will fall apart.
Yappadappadu likes this.

post #2547 of 7225 Old 05-09-2014, 10:46 AM

Quote:

Btw to anyone who has a ps4, "The Order: 1886" which I've been looking forward to since e3 last year, is going to be in 2:35:1. It is poised to be one of the most cinematic games ever made, and one of the darkest making it perfect for this set. The entire game in anamorphic widescreen.....

.....looks like I won't be able to play it now. 30-60 hours it will probably be, haha. The screen will fall apart.

But meh LG said "I have taken your query up with one of the senior technicians who advied that there is no need to run the television in atall, you are not going to recieve screen burn if you watch something once it would be a case of watching the same thing constantly over a course of months and not hours."

You guys need to stop watching these month long movies wink.gif
Yappadappadu likes this.
post #2548 of 7225 Old 05-09-2014, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
Quote:

And the roller-coaster plunges down towards the depths of despair yet once again...

Seriously, I am sorry for you. If whenever you watch letterbox content you need to spend an equal amount of time running a pixel-flipper to 'even-out' the screen uniformity again, it's not an absolute show-stopper, but it's pretty darned close.

Maybe Masterbrew2 could get up the courage to watch a widescreen movie or two - this letterbox image-retention effect is either present on all 1st-generation LG WOLED panels or it is not (in which case it is a defect that is not being properly screened out).
post #2549 of 7225 Old 05-09-2014, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post

Maybe Masterbrew2 could get up the courage to watch a widescreen movie or two - this letterbox image-retention effect is either present on all 1st-generation LG WOLED panels or it is not (in which case it is a defect that is not being properly screened out).

I'm not a reviewer. I will report what flaws I see here with you guys, but I won't go actively trying to seek them out.

I have watched one or two letterbox movies, not in succession though. Still haven't noticed any letterboxed IR.

I'm not afraid to watch letterboxed movies. When there's something I want to watch, I'll watch it and take whatever happens from there...

What I imagined might be the most torturous thing I've done to the TV is play Towerfall for hours on end. That game runs in an odd boxy aspect ratio and has some very static graphics.

LG 55EA970 OLED
post #2550 of 7225 Old 05-09-2014, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterbrew2 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post

I'm not a reviewer. I will report what flaws I see here with you guys, but I won't go actively trying to seek them out.

I have watched one or two letterbox movies, not in succession though. Still haven't noticed any letterboxed IR.

I'm not afraid to watch letterboxed movies. When there's something I want to watch, I'll watch it and take whatever happens from there...

What I imagined might be the most torturous thing I've done to the TV is play Towerfall for hours on end. That game runs in an odd boxy aspect ratio and has some very static graphics.

Your probably our perfect 1st-gen WOLED customer then biggrin.gif

If under your normal viewing habits, you start to notice flaws within the first 6 months, I'd take that as a very bad sign for the readiness of this technology for the mass-market.

If after 6 months of normal viewing you continue to think the picture is fantastic and flawless, then this 1st-gen LG WOLED technology might be ready for prime-time.

And if Vinnie's pixel-flipping technique is a repeatable way to correct the occasional letterbox IR that does appear, that would be a comforting fall-back.

Please keep us updated as you continue to use your set - your opinion represents an important perspective in this ongoing assessment.
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
Lg 55ea9800 Oled Hdtv , Lg
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page