Need help picking out a new TV - AVS Forum
OLED Technology and Flat Panels General > Need help picking out a new TV
Chris Anticoli's Avatar Chris Anticoli 11:51 AM 10-08-2013

Hey everyone,

I'm interested in buying a new 50" to 55" TV for my Home Theater Room. I'm fine with plasma and LED. I like black levels on plasma more obviously, but I probably will be doing some gaming on this as well with static images. I'd rather not have to babysit a TV during a break-in period (I've owned two Panasonic plasmas in the past).

Uniformity is a big deal to me, as I'm usually pretty OCD/anal about lighter/darker spots (this has led me to return TV's in the past), so I'd like a TV that has particularly good uniformity. The TV doesn't have to be 3D, as I don't really care about it. Also, it doesn't have to be a Smart TV, as I'll be hooking a WD TV Live box to it.

My budget is $800 on the nose, plus a little more with tax obviously. Is there a good, tried and true TV in my price range?

Thanks everyone!

KOF's Avatar KOF 02:14 PM 10-08-2013
If you've owned two Pannys in the past, you should know very well yourself that IR issues are overblown. I did not baby my last LG plasma (heavy gaming and PC browser use and absolutely no break-in prior) and I've seen ZERO IR on it.

With that said, my two recommendations are Panasonic S60 and Sony W800 LCD for your price point. I do not like S60 for being a little dither-heavy, and I don't like W800 simply because it's an LCD, (an edge-lit at that. If there were still CCFLs sold, I'd change my tune), but they have the best compromise for gaming simply because they each have the lowest input lags for their respective flat panel technology this year. The W800 also features motion-blur reduction technology, so you can enjoy (almost?) plasma-like motion performance. You've owned plasmas before, which means you are going to be fine with low light output and a little aggressive APL of Panasonic S60. If I was going to choose, it would be a difficult choice because I need more light output and less aggressive ABL than what the S60 offers, but Panasonic ST60 and Samsung F8500 aren't a solution either, because they now have industry leading 'high' input lag.
Chris Anticoli's Avatar Chris Anticoli 02:19 PM 10-08-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by KOF View Post

If you've owned two Pannys in the past, you should know very well yourself that IR issues are overblown. I did not baby my last LG plasma (heavy gaming and PC browser use and absolutely no break-in prior) and I've seen ZERO IR on it.

With that said, my two recommendations are Panasonic S60 and Sony W800 LCD for your price point. I do not like S60 for being a little dither-heavy, and I don't like W800 simply because it's an LCD, (an edge-lit at that. If there were still CCFLs sold, I'd change my tune), but they have the best compromise for gaming simply because they each have the lowest input lags for their respective flat panel technology this year. The W800 also features motion-blur reduction technology, so you can enjoy (almost?) plasma-like motion performance. You've owned plasmas before, which means you are going to be fine with low light output and a little aggressive APL of Panasonic S60. If I was going to choose, it would be a difficult choice because I need more light output and less aggressive ABL than what the S60 offers, but Panasonic ST60 and Samsung F8500 aren't a solution either, because they now have industry leading 'high' input lag.

Yea, definitely I understand that plasmas don't really need to be babied, but I do run the break in stuff for 100 hours or so when I get a new plasma.

The last two Panasonic plasmas I had (Last year I bought the TC-P50U50) had awful, awful buzzing coming from the back of them. So bad, I had to return them. Was this issue ever fixed? It was impossible to listen to the TV at any lower volumes at night because the buzzing was so bad. I tried different plugs, ferrite cores, everything. Also, the uniformity on the last one I had was piss poor, too.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/VIZIO-E551I-A2-55-1080p-120Hz-Razor-LED-1.9-ultra-slim-Smart-HDTV/23565841 -- Have you heard anything about this TV? I understand I won't get the deep, inky black levels as my previous Panasonic plasmas, but I want something reliable with good uniformity and lack of buzzing.

As long as I know the Panasonic issues were fixed, I'd consider another one. The picture quality is always outstanding.

Thanks for your reply :)

KOF's Avatar KOF 04:39 PM 10-08-2013
I concur with buzzing. I recommended Samsung F8500 to someone and now they're hounding me for a solution for buzzing which I can't help with, so I feel your pain. However, I'm sure you're aware that not every plasmas buzz (my LG didn't), so give it another shot. Panasonics are still well known for low numbers of buzzers. (Second only to LG, Samsung clearly takes the cake.)

I'm not familiar with that Vizio, but I think for its size, it's using an LG panel which I would avoid if you can. (Going from a plasma to an IPS is NOT fun) I don't have input lag numbers for this model, but at best, I don't think it's going to be as good as the Sony and Panny. If you can't afford W800, W600 is the next best choice, but you do lose the strobing simulation.

Or, if Vizio was even in your radar, you could also go with an entry level Samsung LCD, something like FH6000. Much better blacks and uniformity. (It uses direct-lit, not edge-lit, so your uniformity concerns are covered) The F5000~F5500 even have 24ms of low input lag, which is very respectable, but does not offer a 55 inch model. If you're going to forgo the strobing simulation, there's no reason to own a Sony over a Samsung, IMO.
somelogin's Avatar somelogin 02:26 AM 10-09-2013
Over the past few years I tried like three or more ST30 sets and a ST50 set and all had horrible buzz, so I doubt that pannys have only few buzzers. I would be surprised if anyone at all gets one without much buzzing after what I went through. What the deal is is some people can't hear as well as others so they don't think it buzzes when it really does.
Chris Anticoli's Avatar Chris Anticoli 08:32 AM 10-09-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by somelogin View Post

Over the past few years I tried like three or more ST30 sets and a ST50 set and all had horrible buzz, so I doubt that pannys have only few buzzers. I would be surprised if anyone at all gets one without much buzzing after what I went through. What the deal is is some people can't hear as well as others so they don't think it buzzes when it really does.

I think this is my problem as well. My hearing is very good, and I'm sensitive to that high frequency buzzing sound. It sucks, because I'd go with with a plasma in a heartbeat if it weren't for the damn buzzing. I'm leaning toward the Vizio E551i-A2 at this point.

somelogin's Avatar somelogin 02:46 PM 10-10-2013
yeah my hearing is great. the elite I am using doesn't bother me at all though, as it's buzzing is still much lower than the pannys and samsungs were. it ahs all these other problems I've mentioned in these forums, though, so I am trying to buy another of the same model and sell mine for whatever. Buzzing can get mighty annoying and then I'm sensitive to flicker too. lol
Tags: Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Up
Mobile  Desktop