Stay with Sony KD-XBR960 or get flat panel? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 10-19-2013, 04:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23

What do you guys think?

Panasonic says they going to stop making Plasma next year. I've never liked LCD because of 1) backlight dependency, 2) off-angle viewing issues, and 3) resolution issues with motion. If Plasma goes, the next hope is OLED, but I don't see this tech coming soon because I think 4K LED lit LCDs will keep OLED off the market for several or more years.

Only weakness the XBR960 has is that it can't display 1080p. But at 34" screen size, 720p is adequate? Currently I only have DVD and so have been only getting 480p.

Should I buy Pannie ST60 Plasma? Should I hold out for a 4K LCD TV in a couple years? Should I try to hold out 5 or more years for OLED?

Currently I have very old AVR and DVD player. If I buy a new AVR and Blu-ray player they will come with HDMI 1.4, which is an issue if I later buy a 4K TV and want HDMI 2.0. Maybe I should hold off buying everything for 4K? Or stick with XBR960, buy Blu-ray player and new AVR and then in 5+ years move to OLED?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 10-19-2013, 11:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 260
Panasonic also says they'll be shipping OLEDs next year. I'm sure they will be expensive and first-gen products so you might not want to buy one of them, but if you have managed to wait so long with your CRT that Plasmas are no longer going to be available, it seems like you would be happier waiting for OLED.
I would suggest getting your CRT calibrated or buying the equipment to do it yourself if that interests you, and stick with it for now.
post #3 of 3 Old 10-20-2013, 06:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Having had a 960, I can tell you that you'd appreciate the ST60. It would be a great purchase to hold you over until OLED 4k becomes more affordable in the next 3-5 years.

"If you weren't such an ignorant troll, you'd be adorable" -rogo
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General