Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Still a long way from the $9000 OLED.

The LG OLED costs you $7500 ...

Rogo you are so wrong with some of your "facts", but I´m not a native english speaker. Can we speak in German ;-)
Mass production means not! mainstream. A Porsche 911 is mass produced, but not mainstream...

LG has a 8G pilot line. Their second 8G plant is planned for production in 2H 2014. Der EA9800 and EA8800 are from their 8G pilot line. Samsung´s pilot line is also 8G, but currently they can only cut with their LTPS process 6G motherglasses.
LG hints a 47" (and 75") OLED-TV for Europe. They told it everytime officially that they will launch other inch (bigger and smaller one) sizes after the 55" flat und curved OLED-TV´s. UHD OLED is coming too. Wait for CES 2014...
Quote:
"OLED substrate" doesn't even make much sense.

In German it´s the same word like "materials".

And please stop to thinking the USA is the only country in the world. There a many other important markets for the manufactures with other prices and purchasing behaviours. For example for LG, Germany with a much higher population rate is the second important market after the US and in Europe we have to pay much more for electronics than in US.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 46 Old 11-06-2013, 06:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked: 798

There's Mexico.  And I think a "canada" someplace, though I need confirmation on that.  There are other countries?

Beware the statistical correlations that sound like they're indicative of something. Drowning deaths are tightly correlated to ice cream consumption. In fact, be wary of any statistic that is stated as if it comes with a self-evident conclusion: there is no such thing.
post #33 of 46 Old 11-06-2013, 06:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Philips sold its audio and video business, is out of the game.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/news/9836235/Philips-exits-consumer-electronics-market.html

smile.gif In future, the Philips consumer division will focus on appliances such as shavers, toasters, juicers and coffee makers.
post #34 of 46 Old 11-06-2013, 09:37 AM
boe
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 50
I'm hoping they are focusing their efforts on making affordable 70-90" 4K OLED TVs with great picture motion smile.gif
post #35 of 46 Old 11-06-2013, 11:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mile13 View Post

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/news/9836235/Philips-exits-consumer-electronics-market.html

smile.gif In future, the Philips consumer division will focus on appliances such as shavers, toasters, juicers and coffee makers.

That's where they should have stayed all along. smile.gif

post #36 of 46 Old 11-06-2013, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

They were the first plasma TV ads I ever saw.  Their $13,000 device on the wall wowed everyone in that "gotta admit things are getting better" commercial.

Beware the statistical correlations that sound like they're indicative of something. Drowning deaths are tightly correlated to ice cream consumption. In fact, be wary of any statistic that is stated as if it comes with a self-evident conclusion: there is no such thing.
post #37 of 46 Old 11-06-2013, 03:52 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post

That's where they should have stayed all along. smile.gif
I don't agree with less competition being desirable.
post #38 of 46 Old 11-06-2013, 06:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALMA View Post

The LG OLED costs you $7500 ...

I'm pretty sure it's still $9000. But either way...
Quote:
Rogo you are so wrong with some of your "facts", but I´m not a native english speaker. Can we speak in German ;-)

I'm sure you can speak in German fantastically well. Alas, I cannot.
Quote:
Mass production means not! mainstream. A Porsche 911 is mass produced, but not mainstream...

That's true up to a point. TV manufacturing, however, cannot be done on a Porsche 911 model. The very reason Panasonic is shutting down plasma production is that making TV panels requires volumes of the TV equivalent of the BMW 3-series at a bare minimum to be doable.
Quote:
LG has a 8G pilot line. Their second 8G plant is planned for production in 2H 2014.

We've heard this a lot. We've seen little evidence to support it.
Quote:
Der EA9800 and EA8800 are from their 8G pilot line. Samsung´s pilot line is also 8G, but currently they can only cut with their LTPS process 6G motherglasses.

OK, but pilots != real production either.
Quote:
LG hints a 47" (and 75") OLED-TV for Europe. They told it everytime officially that they will launch other inch (bigger and smaller one) sizes after the 55" flat und curved OLED-TV´s. UHD OLED is coming too. Wait for CES 2014...
In German it´s the same word like "materials".

I want der 75". For $4000. Let me know when I can have it,
Quote:
And please stop to thinking the USA is the only country in the world. There a many other important markets for the manufactures with other prices and purchasing behaviours. For example for LG, Germany with a much higher population rate is the second important market after the US and in Europe we have to pay much more for electronics than in US.

I don't think the US is in the only country in the world, I'm just far more knowledgeable about it than I am about Germany. When I write about Tesla, for example, I report on the company's plans for Germany. I report on what I can observe personally in the U.S.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working. (Oh, and plasma didn't die because of logistics problems, nor does OLED ship in big boxes because it comes from Korea.)
post #39 of 46 Old 11-07-2013, 12:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
I'm pretty sure it's still $9000. But either way...

The street price seems much lower than this:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1493578/lg-55ea9800-55-oled-owners-thread#post_23905291
Quote:
The very reason Panasonic is shutting down plasma production is that making TV panels requires volumes of the TV equivalent of the BMW 3-series at a bare minimum to be doable.

BMW 3-series is premium in Germany. With little more than standard equipment it cost you as an BMW 320d Touring here in Germany so +45000€. You talking about Skoda or FIAT prices, if you want a 75" OLED-TV for $4000. wink.gif
post #40 of 46 Old 11-07-2013, 04:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 562
A $4,000 TV is, in fact, equivalent in car terms to an M5 or 7-series.

The 3-series BMW, I selected, because worldwide it's something like .25-.50% of all cars made... Realistically, that's actually too small to sustain a TV production line, but it's a start...

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working. (Oh, and plasma didn't die because of logistics problems, nor does OLED ship in big boxes because it comes from Korea.)
post #41 of 46 Old 11-09-2013, 08:35 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenland View Post

http://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1383312908

"Panasonic will now focus entirely on Ultra HD and OLED technology. All resources will be moved to research, development and production in these fields, following the plasma exit. Panasonic’s goal is still to create the leading TV products in the industry, and “combine stunning design with user-friendly Smart TV function and sharp picture quality.

- "We will continue to focus on expanding sales and offer a strong line-up of new TV models, based on the experience we have in flat panel TVs. Going forward, we will use all our resources to maintain the leading position in 4K Ultra HD technology," says Calina Gavril, Business Manager at Panasonic Nordic to FlatpanelsHD."

I'm glad to hear they are not exiting the TV business. I was afraid their exit from Plasma meant they were getting out of the TV business. Panasonic and Sony make my favorite TVs.

post #42 of 46 Old 11-11-2013, 01:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:

Good. the fewer players in the industry the better*. Then maybe we can get down to the good tv makers like Samsung, Sony, Panasonic and LG. Those 4 split the market and we should be good. Hopefully then Sony's TV business will recover.

*(to a reasonable point. Competition is good for the market and keeps each player on their toes and advancing the tech. But too many players saturates the market and takes sales away from manufacturers that deserve it more because they are the ones who advance the tech. Just my opinion)

Stand tall and shake the heavens...
post #43 of 46 Old 11-11-2013, 01:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by willkm79 View Post

I'm glad to hear they are not exiting the TV business. I was afraid their exit from Plasma meant they were getting out of the TV business. Panasonic and Sony make my favorite TVs.

This.

I want a Sony tv, but they are terribly expensive. However I am now getting to the point where I can afford one without inflicting undue hardship on my finances. However, if Panasonic could make a Full array LED, or release a viable and affordable OLED display that compete well with Sony's flagship models, I would definitely consider getting one.

Stand tall and shake the heavens...
post #44 of 46 Old 11-15-2013, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 63
4K was the killer
Nugget likes this.

irkuck
post #45 of 46 Old 11-15-2013, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by irkuck View Post

4K was the killer

Nice catch irkuck!  By the way, here's the report that is referenced within the report above.  It's far more detailed and pretty interesting.

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/4k-plasma-201311133417.htm

As an aside, if they're trying to imply that they would have held onto plasma had 4K been easy to do.....they're lying.  The slash-n-burn president of theirs would have hacked off that gangrenous appendage anyway.

post #46 of 46 Old 11-17-2013, 01:39 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post

Nice catch irkuck!  By the way, here's the report that is referenced within the report above.  It's far more detailed and pretty interesting.

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/4k-plasma-201311133417.htm

As an aside, if they're trying to imply that they would have held onto plasma had 4K been easy to do.....they're lying.  The slash-n-burn president of theirs would have hacked off that gangrenous appendage anyway.

And he doesn't know much about picture quality - a few years ago he compared a Panasonic Plasma and a competitor's LCD TV in his own home and stated that he could see no discernible difference between them. Pretty sad and dare i say ignorant comments coming from the president of a company that once prided itself on having good picture quality.

http://www.eetimes.com/document.asp?doc_id=1319759

I betcha Panasonic never ends up making a commitment to OLED, they made some of the best TVs and some of the lowest prices but are horrible at marketing and couldn't sell enough of them to make a profit, so i can't see them selling TVs that are only slightly better but costing 4 times more.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gallery -
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page