What is the best option in the 60"-70" range: Vizio, Sharp or Panasonic - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 11-21-2013, 06:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
tdogroeder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
Posts: 2,786
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I have always been a plasma guy but willing to consider LED/LCD and I want to keep it around $1500.

The models I am considering are:

Sharp LC-60LE650U

VIZIO M601d-A3R

Panasonic TC-P60ST60

Panasonic TC-P65S60

Jesus Christ is the Way, The Truth, and The Life, He is the only Way to God!

Yamaha RXV765

Emotiva LPA-1

Ascend Sierra-2s(LCR), RSS300, Polk R15

SVS PB12 plus

Panasonic S65

Sony S5100

PS4, PS3, XBOX 360

tdogroeder is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 18 Old 11-21-2013, 10:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
tdogroeder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
Posts: 2,786
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Anyone have an opinion or suggestion for me?

Jesus Christ is the Way, The Truth, and The Life, He is the only Way to God!

Yamaha RXV765

Emotiva LPA-1

Ascend Sierra-2s(LCR), RSS300, Polk R15

SVS PB12 plus

Panasonic S65

Sony S5100

PS4, PS3, XBOX 360

tdogroeder is offline  
post #3 of 18 Old 11-21-2013, 05:33 PM
AVS Special Member
 
sytech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,192
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 188
If it is super bright in your room or you can not control the light, go with the LCd. Otherwise, the plasma is almost always better. If you don't need or like 3D the TC-P65S60 can't be beat for the price.
sytech is offline  
post #4 of 18 Old 11-21-2013, 05:41 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"
 
RandyWalters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: El Segundo, Calif
Posts: 17,493
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdogroeder View Post

Anyone have an opinion or suggestion for me?

Well you didn't provide us with any necessary information like what kind of content you'll be watching, or what your sources are, or what kind of viewing environment the TV will be in, or what your viewing distance is, etc etc.

If we don't know exactly how you're going to be using the TV it's impossible to make any suggestions.

But the ST60 is the best TV on that list wink.gif

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gallery -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
RandyWalters is offline  
post #5 of 18 Old 11-21-2013, 06:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
tdogroeder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
Posts: 2,786
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

Well you didn't provide us with any necessary information like what kind of content you'll be watching, or what your sources are, or what kind of viewing environment the TV will be in, or what your viewing distance is, etc etc.

If we don't know exactly how you're going to be using the TV it's impossible to make any suggestions.

But the ST60 is the best TV on that list wink.gif

Thanks for replying Randy!

Content I will be watching will be mediacom cable hd feed, I cant stand sd feed. Movies & gaming also.

The room lighting is controlled with curtains so reflections are not a problem.

Viewing distance is about 9'-10'.

I have read that the STs have some lag issues with gaming and my son does a lot of gaming so I would be a little bit concerned about that.

Jesus Christ is the Way, The Truth, and The Life, He is the only Way to God!

Yamaha RXV765

Emotiva LPA-1

Ascend Sierra-2s(LCR), RSS300, Polk R15

SVS PB12 plus

Panasonic S65

Sony S5100

PS4, PS3, XBOX 360

tdogroeder is offline  
post #6 of 18 Old 11-21-2013, 06:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
tdogroeder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
Posts: 2,786
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by sytech View Post

If it is super bright in your room or you can not control the light, go with the LCd. Otherwise, the plasma is almost always better. If you don't need or like 3D the TC-P65S60 can't be beat for the price.

3d is not necessary, I have used my current one only 1 time, and light is not a problem to control.

Jesus Christ is the Way, The Truth, and The Life, He is the only Way to God!

Yamaha RXV765

Emotiva LPA-1

Ascend Sierra-2s(LCR), RSS300, Polk R15

SVS PB12 plus

Panasonic S65

Sony S5100

PS4, PS3, XBOX 360

tdogroeder is offline  
post #7 of 18 Old 11-21-2013, 11:16 PM
AVS Special Member
 
irkuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: cyberspace
Posts: 3,502
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Moderator, can you please start moving threads and postings not related to flat panels GENERAL and OLED technology to their respective forums. Questions about selecting and buying typical LCD sets DO NOT belong to this forum.

irkuck
irkuck is offline  
post #8 of 18 Old 11-21-2013, 11:37 PM
 
vinnie97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Nunya
Posts: 11,657
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
I disagree. The OP was looking for opinions about the best quality display among both LCD and plasma, which qualifies the post as appropriate for Flat Panels General in my estimation.
tdogroeder likes this.
vinnie97 is offline  
post #9 of 18 Old 11-22-2013, 01:39 AM
AVS Special Member
 
irkuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: cyberspace
Posts: 3,502
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

I disagree. The OP was looking for opinions about the best quality display among both LCD and plasma, which qualifies the post as appropriate for Flat Panels General in my estimation.

Oh, please:

I have always been a plasma guy but willing to consider LED/LCD and I want to keep it around $1500.

This is typical asking from general public about an average set.

If such questions are tolerated the forum will be high-jacked by the standard Walmart crowd. I know that the LCD forum is crowded but it does not mean those who are ignorant or clever can have a shortcut here. This forum is about general aspects as the name implies. Questions about particular models of LCD might be appropriate only in case of really new exotic sets, for example a curved LCD set or a 110"@4K set, if such appear; since they look like an opening for a new (general) class of sets.

Moderator could perhaps put a sticky warning in the headline of this forum not to post about standard TV sets.

irkuck
irkuck is offline  
post #10 of 18 Old 11-22-2013, 06:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
tdogroeder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
Posts: 2,786
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

I disagree. The OP was looking for opinions about the best quality display among both LCD and plasma, which qualifies the post as appropriate for Flat Panels General in my estimation.
You are correct!
Quote:
Originally Posted by irkuck View Post

Oh, please:

I have always been a plasma guy but willing to consider LED/LCD and I want to keep it around $1500.

This is typical asking from general public about an average set.

If such questions are tolerated the forum will be high-jacked by the standard Walmart crowd. I know that the LCD forum is crowded but it does not mean those who are ignorant or clever can have a shortcut here. This forum is about general aspects as the name implies. Questions about particular models of LCD might be appropriate only in case of really new exotic sets, for example a curved LCD set or a 110"@4K set, if such appear; since they look like an opening for a new (general) class of sets.

Moderator could perhaps put a sticky warning in the headline of this forum not to post about standard TV sets.

I posted in this forum because it is not preferential to either type of display. I do prefer plasma since that is what I read that they are superior and that is the reason my 1st one was a pioneer 5070hd, and then I got a 58 samsung plasma that I was never fond of but died with my daughter hitting the screen with a hard toy and killed it. I do use an ips asus monitor for photo editing & pc work and enjoy the quality of it, so that is one of the reasons I am open to lcd/led as well as technology has improved.

Jesus Christ is the Way, The Truth, and The Life, He is the only Way to God!

Yamaha RXV765

Emotiva LPA-1

Ascend Sierra-2s(LCR), RSS300, Polk R15

SVS PB12 plus

Panasonic S65

Sony S5100

PS4, PS3, XBOX 360

tdogroeder is offline  
post #11 of 18 Old 11-22-2013, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
tdogroeder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
Posts: 2,786
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I just wonder what or how much better the Panasonic ST is over the S series tv's

Jesus Christ is the Way, The Truth, and The Life, He is the only Way to God!

Yamaha RXV765

Emotiva LPA-1

Ascend Sierra-2s(LCR), RSS300, Polk R15

SVS PB12 plus

Panasonic S65

Sony S5100

PS4, PS3, XBOX 360

tdogroeder is offline  
post #12 of 18 Old 11-22-2013, 10:26 AM
Member
 
kkirsche's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: VA
Posts: 76
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdogroeder View Post

I just wonder what or how much better the Panasonic ST is over the S series tv's

Depends on how you wanna look at it, from a numbers perspective the ST is better. Some little things which may or may not matter to you.

  • The ST has 2x as many Shades of Gradation (12, 288 on the ST / 6,144 on the S)
  • the ST has a Anti-Reflection coating on the screen similar to the S64's (Bulk distributor model only which has sold out)
  • ST has bluetooth and the S does not
  • ST has SD Card slot and the S does not
  • ST has 3 HDMI ports and the S has 2 HDMI ports

Side by side, everything I've heard is they are very similar. Only you though can decide which picture looks better, which is why I'd recommend looking in store at them. I would also say if you game often / competitively, be wary of the ST due to input lag. I haven't received my ST yet, so can't tell you how much of an impact the lag actually has or not. Best of luck
tdogroeder likes this.
kkirsche is offline  
post #13 of 18 Old 11-22-2013, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
tdogroeder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
Posts: 2,786
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkirsche View Post

Depends on how you wanna look at it, from a numbers perspective the ST is better. Some little things which may or may not matter to you.

  • The ST has 2x as many Shades of Gradation (12, 288 on the ST / 6,144 on the S)
  • the ST has a Anti-Reflection coating on the screen similar to the S64's (Bulk distributor model only which has sold out)
  • ST has bluetooth and the S does not
  • ST has SD Card slot and the S does not
  • ST has 3 HDMI ports and the S has 2 HDMI ports

Side by side, everything I've heard is they are very similar. Only you though can decide which picture looks better, which is why I'd recommend looking in store at them. I would also say if you game often / competitively, be wary of the ST due to input lag. I haven't received my ST yet, so can't tell you how much of an impact the lag actually has or not. Best of luck

Thanks for your post.

I'm not sure how much the shades of gradation will matter, not sure what it does or if I would notice it or miss it for the price difference.

The anti frection coating I suppose would benefit for a bright room, so I don't think that will matter since I can control light in my room.

I don't need an sd card slot, or 3 hdmi slots since I use receiver to for hdmi switching.

I decided to go with the Panny TC-P65S60.
StinDaWg and kkirsche like this.

Jesus Christ is the Way, The Truth, and The Life, He is the only Way to God!

Yamaha RXV765

Emotiva LPA-1

Ascend Sierra-2s(LCR), RSS300, Polk R15

SVS PB12 plus

Panasonic S65

Sony S5100

PS4, PS3, XBOX 360

tdogroeder is offline  
post #14 of 18 Old 11-22-2013, 11:08 AM
 
vinnie97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Nunya
Posts: 11,657
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
More shades of gradation allow for less color banding opportunities.
tdogroeder and kkirsche like this.
vinnie97 is offline  
post #15 of 18 Old 11-22-2013, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
tdogroeder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
Posts: 2,786
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Which Vessa mount size do I need for the TC-P65S60?

Jesus Christ is the Way, The Truth, and The Life, He is the only Way to God!

Yamaha RXV765

Emotiva LPA-1

Ascend Sierra-2s(LCR), RSS300, Polk R15

SVS PB12 plus

Panasonic S65

Sony S5100

PS4, PS3, XBOX 360

tdogroeder is offline  
post #16 of 18 Old 11-22-2013, 11:35 AM
Member
 
kkirsche's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: VA
Posts: 76
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdogroeder View Post

Which Vessa mount size do I need for the TC-P65S60?

I'd recommend using Panasonic's guidelines for this: http://www.panasonic.net/avc/viera/tvbracket/#model_65inch_plasma
tdogroeder likes this.
kkirsche is offline  
post #17 of 18 Old 11-22-2013, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
tdogroeder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
Posts: 2,786
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkirsche View Post

I'd recommend using Panasonic's guidelines for this: http://www.panasonic.net/avc/viera/tvbracket/#model_65inch_plasma

Thanks for the link.
kkirsche likes this.

Jesus Christ is the Way, The Truth, and The Life, He is the only Way to God!

Yamaha RXV765

Emotiva LPA-1

Ascend Sierra-2s(LCR), RSS300, Polk R15

SVS PB12 plus

Panasonic S65

Sony S5100

PS4, PS3, XBOX 360

tdogroeder is offline  
post #18 of 18 Old 11-24-2013, 09:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
tdogroeder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
Posts: 2,786
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I'm having 2nd thoughts on the 65S60 after reading the S60 thread and wonder if I should go with the 60ST60 instead.

What do you guys think?

Jesus Christ is the Way, The Truth, and The Life, He is the only Way to God!

Yamaha RXV765

Emotiva LPA-1

Ascend Sierra-2s(LCR), RSS300, Polk R15

SVS PB12 plus

Panasonic S65

Sony S5100

PS4, PS3, XBOX 360

tdogroeder is offline  
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
Sharp Lc 60le650u 60 Inch Aquos Led Tv , Vizio M601d A3r 60 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P60st60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P65s60 65 Inch 1080p 600hz Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off