I wandered in a BB today casually looking at TVs. My goodness, those Samsungs! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 12-28-2013, 05:22 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 92
I was certainly impressed with all the Samsung TV's. They were brighter, more colorful and more clear than all the other TV's. (Generally 55" and above.) I thought the Smart TV's with the 120-250HZ displays were a cut above anything else.

I briefly looked at a few of the 4K Tv's but whatever they were displaying - I was turned off by the false color of the videos. Looked fine to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 12-28-2013, 09:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 78
It's called torch mode. It grabs your attention but is far, far from optimum in a home setting.
post #3 of 16 Old 12-28-2013, 10:37 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1011
Color me unimpressed.
post #4 of 16 Old 12-28-2013, 10:57 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Oooof!

Tough crowd.
post #5 of 16 Old 12-29-2013, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Ditto, If you calibrated those 4K and OLED sets the differences would be less dramatic. I would take 4K, OLED and the ZT60 Plasma and get them calibrated side by side and stand 10 feet back and lets see the differences, I bet we are talking subtle differences and no set would win on all counts. You have to decide what is important to you. I sit 14-15 feet away from my P65ZT60 so 4K will not buy me much, but the color accuracy and blacks I can appreciate on my ZT60 today. When OLED gets under $5K for a 65 inch and the gimmicky curve is gone then I will be interested, otherwise I have my ZT60 and my backup VT50 to hold me the next 3-5 years.
post #6 of 16 Old 12-29-2013, 08:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 78
And to pile on a little more if you were looking at the 120-250hz units odds are you were experiencing extreme S.O.E. with all the frame interpolation.

If you like them that is fine, you are the one that is going to be watching the unit. It's just that there have been long discussions over the years on how TVs are set in a showroom to grab attention. These settings make the display pop in an overly bright visually cluttered space. Some, many, people like this look and want it at home. But the truth is it is far from what a calibrated set would display. Some us strive for an accurately calibrated set, to display what the director of the programming wanted us to see. That my be bright popping colors or a muted overly blue image -- all choices made to create an atmosphere. The average viewer can negate all the work by simply adjusting the color and tint control. Again your choice, just as tone controls alter the sound of a recording.
post #7 of 16 Old 12-29-2013, 09:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 209
You guys make it sound like Samsung's are the only TV's on the showroom floor set to a torch mode. They all are. Except for maybe the plasma's.
post #8 of 16 Old 12-30-2013, 07:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked: 896
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy sullivan View Post

You guys make it sound like Samsung's are the only TV's on the showroom floor set to a torch mode. They all are. Except for maybe the plasma's.

Yeah, they all are, but I've also noticed that the Samsungs tend to be nutty in this regard.  They're always somehow.......uber.  Horrible idea outside the surface-of-the-sun lights at BB.

Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent. Unless, of course, it's to keep someone from creating a phone video in portrait mode, in which case it's a pretty good first step. Portrait mooks: KNOCK IT OFF.
post #9 of 16 Old 12-31-2013, 11:59 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post

Yeah, they all are, but I've also noticed that the Samsungs tend to be nutty in this regard.  They're always somehow.......uber.  Horrible idea outside the surface-of-the-sun lights at BB.

They weren't in the sunlight or brightly lit. I also mentioned that they had much more clarity and detail - but maybe that was the recordings that they were using.

It's just what I noticed.
post #10 of 16 Old 12-31-2013, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmerci View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post

They weren't in the sunlight or brightly lit.

No, no, I mean that having things on those torch mode settings (usually called "Vivid" or something similar) is a bad idea for any place other than on a BB showroom where the ambient lighting is as bright as the surface of the sun.  My metaphors can take some getting used to.  ;)

vinnie97 likes this.

Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent. Unless, of course, it's to keep someone from creating a phone video in portrait mode, in which case it's a pretty good first step. Portrait mooks: KNOCK IT OFF.
post #11 of 16 Old 12-31-2013, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy sullivan View Post

Par for the course here. Fortunately the general public doesn't follow the herd here.

Yeah, the Sammies do look good. I just hope they can stay in the plasma business. L just don't know if OLEDS will ever be price competitive, and I'd hate to stuck with only LCD.
post #12 of 16 Old 12-31-2013, 02:49 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1011
You mean unfortunately, because plasma might not be on its deathbed if the public was following the "herd." rolleyes.gif
post #13 of 16 Old 12-31-2013, 08:15 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I wouldn't buy a TV because it was bright in a store that's lighted 10x brighter than my room, if not 100x when my room is dark (don't believe me? check a camera's exposure settings in a store vs your home). I saw on the samsung 8000 series lots of distortion and artifacts.
gus738 likes this.
post #14 of 16 Old 01-01-2014, 02:25 AM
KOF
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Torch mode brightness is less of a problem. Ridiculous color accuracy destruction poisons those consumers far more. Now they think high color temperature with wacked gamma is 'sharp'. Some ignorant plasma purchasers are actually trying to mimic that LCD torch mode saturated color even in instances they wouldn't need it. There is a difference between bright and accurate like Sony BVM and bright but way too high color temperature like Sony XBR970 in its default mode. (over 10k lol)
post #15 of 16 Old 01-01-2014, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOF View Post

Torch mode brightness is less of a problem. Ridiculous color accuracy destruction poisons those consumers far more. Now they think high color temperature with wacked gamma is 'sharp'. Some ignorant plasma purchasers are actually trying to mimic that LCD torch mode saturated color even in instances they wouldn't need it. There is a difference between bright and accurate like Sony BVM and bright but way too high color temperature like Sony XBR970 in its default mode. (over 10k lol)

Not exactly.  So long as the skin color of people is ok the average consumer doesn't care (within reason of course) that the ocean is too blue, the grass is too green, the corvette is too red, etc., etc., etc.  Not on the showroom floor, and not at home.

Also: High color temperature and "wacked gamma" as you say is never confused with their impression of sharp.  You can have an incredibly soft picture with absurdly high color temperature rendering blue whites and whacked gamma and they'll still call it "blurry".

post #16 of 16 Old 01-02-2014, 12:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 49
About 8-10 months ago I was in BB & the salesperson could not locate the remote for a particular Samsung I wanted to check out. I had him go through all the menu settings using the little button control on the bottom of the set. When done he was putting it back in the Dynamic mode. I asked why not leave it in the Standard mode. He said Samsung pays them to put the TVs in the Dynamic mode.
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page