AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 705
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcoupe2003 View Post

wow another price drop on the OLED's

Yeah, another 5% drop - somebody should plot the curve and extrapolate where this is going by yearend...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 89 Old 05-29-2014, 02:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post

Yeah, another 5% drop - somebody should plot the curve and extrapolate where this is going by yearend...

$3K is a foregone conclusion for black friday. I'm more interested to see what this means for the 2nd gen 4K models.
post #63 of 89 Old 05-29-2014, 02:38 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Wow if the flat beauty sells for $3000 this year I think LG will sell out in days. I want one for my bedroom and am waiting for the price to drop. Current price about £5000 or about $7000 in UK. Harrods £7000 or about $10000! Continental Europe about £4200 or about $6000 . I hope that you are right! Incidently LG only offer a one year warranty in UK as opposed to two years warranty in rest of Europe and they have been selling there for many months now. They have only become available in the UK for about a month now which is about the same as the USA. What warranty is offered state side? Have they decided to offer less warranty as LG have come to the conclusion that they might be opening the flood gates to high returns based on their experiences to date in other parts of the world?

I have seen the set and it is just gorgeous! Maybe waiting for later build dates will result in a less problematic purchase. If the price decreases to £3000 or $4500 I am in like a flash.
post #64 of 89 Old 05-29-2014, 03:19 AM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1011
The last TV manufacturer to offer a 2-year warranty was Sharp with the Elites (and prior to that, Pioneer with the Kuros). It's very much similarly limited to a standard 1-year stateside.
post #65 of 89 Old 05-29-2014, 05:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked: 896

They have to start showcasing the flat set without that ugly frame around it though.  That's pretty jarring to me.

Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent. Unless, of course, it's to keep someone from creating a phone video in portrait mode, in which case it's a pretty good first step. Portrait mooks: KNOCK IT OFF.
post #66 of 89 Old 05-29-2014, 05:40 AM

Oh I like the frame. The sound is great. But like all things in life it's a matter of personal taste.
post #67 of 89 Old 05-29-2014, 05:44 AM

I wonder why the English speaking peoples are disadvantaged by the lower warranty? Perhaps we are more fastidious and return more?
post #68 of 89 Old 05-29-2014, 11:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcoupe2003 View Post

wow another price drop on the OLED's
I'm only seeing this drop on a couple of Google shopping's small, lesser known retailers. Was this by LG?

'Best comment on one of my AVS reviews ever, "What did I just try to read!" Latest: Snow joke - six foot rabbits and the run-a-way brain.
post #69 of 89 Old 05-30-2014, 12:01 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post

They have to start showcasing the flat set without that ugly frame around it though.  That's pretty jarring to me.
Check out message #2. cool.gif
post #70 of 89 Old 05-30-2014, 12:34 AM

I had a reply from LG about fitting a stand/foot instead of wall-mounting it. This is their reply.

I have read through your email and I can advise that if the foot/stand connects to the back of the TV the same way as a wall mount would then you would need make sure the foot/stand has the right VESA rating as the TV. You can get these details from the manual of the model that you choose.

I check out a manual for the EA8800 and could only find a refernce to the VESA standard mount for wall-mounting. so would be grateful if anyine can help.

post #71 of 89 Old 05-30-2014, 05:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mypretty1 View Post

Quote:

Check out message #2. cool.gif

And.......?  I know the frame can be removed.  I was talking about how they were showcasing it.

Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent. Unless, of course, it's to keep someone from creating a phone video in portrait mode, in which case it's a pretty good first step. Portrait mooks: KNOCK IT OFF.
post #72 of 89 Old 05-30-2014, 09:53 AM

Sorry about that. frown.gif I misread your post.

MPOV is that showing the Gallery speakers is somethng akin to showing curved screens. I don't like either, although I can remove the gallery speakers, but the curved screen...? smile.gif

I have seen sites which show just the flat OLED TV. Can't find them ATM.
post #73 of 89 Old 05-30-2014, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sorry about that. frown.gif I misread your post.

MPOV is that showing the Gallery speakers is somethng akin to showing curved screens. I don't like either, although I can remove the gallery speakers, but the curved screen...? smile.gif

I have seen sites which show just the flat OLED TV. Can't find them ATM.

Does the display have any speaker ability at all without the gallery thing?  If not then that might be why it's not shown online.....it would require a disclaimer that this TV won't work as you expect without a hokey looking frame around it.

post #74 of 89 Old 05-31-2014, 12:28 AM

Quote:

Does the display have any speaker ability at all without the gallery thing?  If not then that might be why it's not shown online.....it would require a disclaimer that this TV won't work as you expect without a hokey looking frame around it.

According to this report the Gallery speakers can be removed. http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/55ea880w-201404093716.htm

RF In - 2(T/C, S2)
Full Scart - 1
Composite In (CVBS + Audio) - 1 -Gender, Component & Audio Sharing
Component in (Y,Pb,Pr) + Audio - 1
Digital Audio Out (Coaxial/ Optical) - 1 (Optical)
PC Audio Input - Share with AV2
LAN - 1
Headphone out - 1

HTH.
post #75 of 89 Old 05-31-2014, 06:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

According to this report the Gallery speakers can be removed. http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/55ea880w-201404093716.htm

RF In - 2(T/C, S2)
Full Scart - 1
Composite In (CVBS + Audio) - 1 -Gender, Component & Audio Sharing
Component in (Y,Pb,Pr) + Audio - 1
Digital Audio Out (Coaxial/ Optical) - 1 (Optical)
PC Audio Input - Share with AV2
LAN - 1
Headphone out - 1

HTH.

I believe you misread what I wrote again.  According to the link you supplied, no, the frame cannot be removed and still have sound.

My statement was me wondering aloud that if the reason you can't see it commonly pictured online without the frame is because it would require a disclaimer from the retailer explaining that while it looks like a TV, it will have no sound unless you supply the frame.  (Which incidentally also requires a 2nd picture).  Without that disclaimer, sooner or later they will be facing a lot of returns from folks who don't read through the fine print.

post #76 of 89 Old 05-31-2014, 09:23 AM

No I did not misread what you wrote.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024

Does the display have any speaker ability at all without the gallery thing? If not then that might be why it's not shown online.....it would require a disclaimer that this TV won't work as you expect without a hokey looking frame around it.
My reply was, yes it 'does have any speaker ability at all without the gallery thing.' If you disconnect the gallery speakers obviously they will not work, but the display does have the ability to use a speaker system that an owner might have. It is not true to say the TV will not work without the gallery frame.

The image I attached on an earlier post does not show things too clearly but I can assure you the gallery frame and the TV are separate items. The wall-mount is attached to the wall and to the TV. The gallery frame does not move when the TV is manoeuvred away from the wall, tipped or rotated on the bracket, which is why I do not like it as a wall attached TV.
post #77 of 89 Old 05-31-2014, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No I did not misread what you wrote.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024

Does the display have any speaker ability at all without the gallery thing? If not then that might be why it's not shown online.....it would require a disclaimer that this TV won't work as you expect without a hokey looking frame around it.
My reply was, yes it 'does have any speaker ability at all without the gallery thing.' If you disconnect the gallery speakers obviously they will not work, but the display does have the ability to use a speaker system that an owner might have. It is not true to say the TV will not work without the gallery frame.

And I didn't say that it was about the TV not working.  I said "work as you expect".  The average person is expecting a TV that produces sound straight from the unit (read as "internal speakers").  In fact I suspect almost no one outside of AVSforum ever had it occur to them that it would be possible to have a TV without audio.

post #78 of 89 Old 05-31-2014, 11:02 AM

This is an extract from the manual.

As apparently you feel so strongly about the matter perhaps you should contact LG and, as you previously pointed out, ask why there is no disclaimer. I have no idea. cool.gif
post #79 of 89 Old 05-31-2014, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Good freaking grief!  Let's get this straight and put it to bed, ok?

1. I don't CARE if LG offers a disclaimer!

2. Everything you've posted makes no sense to what I'm saying because all I'm talking about is positing a speculation as to why it is that vendors might not be showing the TV without the frame.  And that might be because people are expecting that a TV has built in speakers.  This one does not without the frame, even your own post earlier says so.  And that may cause a number of returns to occur.

3. I am NOT saying that LG *SHOULD* be offering this TV with built in speakers.  Nor am I doubting that it can connect to other external speakers.

4. IMO LG should be showcasing the TV more often without the frame because I do believe that it is offputting to see it with the frame.

That's all I'm saying.  I'm done with this.

post #80 of 89 Old 05-31-2014, 03:01 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:

4. IMO LG should be showcasing the TV more often without the frame because I do believe that it is offputting to see it with the frame.

The only large and flat OLED on the market, and throughout 2014 for that matter, was deliberately designed to be a failure. LG’s corporate decision to make the 55EA8800 wall mount only (zero OEM stand option, at least for USA), give it a hideous bezel/frame that 95% of real world buyers would remove anyways, and force you to buy mediocre speakers that 95% of real world buyers would remove anyways, should go down as one of the largest design and marketing blunders in modern TV history. Seriously, what % of real world buyers will use the 55EA8800 for displaying static art (is the motion problem that terrible?)… it’s as if they don't want to give large + flat OLED displays a chance in hell of succeeding/selling/moving.
post #81 of 89 Old 05-31-2014, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo-Geo View Post

Quote:

The only large and flat OLED on the market was deliberately designed to be a failure. LG’s corporate decision make the 55EA8800 wall mount only (zero OEM stand option, at least for USA), give it a hideous bezel/frame that 95% of real world buyers would remove anyways, and force you to buy mediocre speakers that 95% of real world buyers would remove anyways, should go down of one of the largest design and marketing blunders in modern TV history. Seriously, what % of real world buyers will use the 55EA8800 for displaying static art (is the motion problem that terrible?)… it’s as if they don't want to give large + flat OLED displays a chance in hell of succeeding/selling/moving.

This was my first reaction when this thing was announced.  It is 80% my reaction still.

post #82 of 89 Old 05-31-2014, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

The only large and flat OLED on the market was deliberately designed to be a failure. LG’s corporate decision make the 55EA8800 wall mount only (zero OEM stand option, at least for USA), give it a hideous bezel/frame that 95% of real world buyers would remove anyways, and force you to buy mediocre speakers that 95% of real world buyers would remove anyways, should go down of one of the largest design and marketing blunders in modern TV history. Seriously, what % of real world buyers will use the 55EA8800 for displaying static art (is the motion problem that terrible?)… it’s as if they don't want to give large + flat OLED displays a chance in hell of succeeding/selling/moving.

This was my first reaction when this thing was announced.  It is 80% my reaction still.

Seems to be a great deal of curve-o-coolaid being guzzled in Korea these days - let's hope it's a passing fad (that passes soon).
post #83 of 89 Old 05-31-2014, 04:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Quote:

The only large and flat OLED on the market, and throughout 2014 for that matter, was deliberately designed to be a failure. LG’s corporate decision to make the 55EA8800 wall mount only (zero OEM stand option, at least for USA), give it a hideous bezel/frame that 95% of real world buyers would remove anyways, and force you to buy mediocre speakers that 95% of real world buyers would remove anyways, should go down as one of the largest design and marketing blunders in modern TV history. Seriously, what % of real world buyers will use the 55EA8800 for displaying static art (is the motion problem that terrible?)… it’s as if they don't want to give large + flat OLED displays a chance in hell of succeeding/selling/moving.

That is what you do when you can only produce 500 good panels a month.
post #84 of 89 Old 05-31-2014, 04:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sytech View Post

Quote:

That is what you do when you can only produce 500 good panels a month.

Well, no. When you can only produce 500 good panels a month, you turn them into a fantastic product that everyone wants but priced so high that all but the most well-heeled enthusiasts can't afford them.
post #85 of 89 Old 06-19-2014, 05:56 PM

Liked: 19
I managed to find a picture of the back of the TV. To me it doesn't seem like there are any mounting holes in the back.

http://i.imgur.com/Gdl9s3V.png

I'm still not sure how it mounts to their frame. Doesn't look good for people who want to use their own mount without the frame.
post #86 of 89 Old 06-24-2014, 12:53 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogershomework View Post
I managed to find a picture of the back of the TV. To me it doesn't seem like there are any mounting holes in the back.

http://i.imgur.com/Gdl9s3V.png

I'm still not sure how it mounts to their frame. Doesn't look good for people who want to use their own mount without the frame.
Thanks for sharing your findings, that would have been tragic if someone had bought the LG55EA8800 with the intentions of using it for anything other than a static picture gallery. I must admit that I considered purchasing the LG55EA8800 for stand mounting, and now I'm so thankful that I didn't. LG knew knew that their curved OLED wouldn't sell if a viable flat version was available so their LG55EA8800 was deliberately designed to be a failure.
post #87 of 89 Old 06-27-2014, 09:56 AM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Any US owner of the 55EA8800? plz reply here or by pm.
Anybody confirms that this flat OLED can't be mounted on a stand (vesa compliant)?

Thx
post #88 of 89 Old 07-02-2014, 02:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 49
There are two very good reasons for this frame. The first is wife acceptance factor. Like it or not, most people who can legitimately afford this TV (especially at the price it was intended to be sold) are married. Making it look like a piece of art will improve WAF significantly and in many cases justify the premium in many a wives' minds. This is not insignificant.

Second, in a TV this thin, it is very difficult to include built-in superior audio, especially in an aesthetically pleasing manner. The technique used on this set is a rather ingenius way of dealing with the physical constraints of a set this thin. If you can come up with a better sounding option in a TV this thin in an aesthetically pleasing manner, I suggest you stop your whining and start designing.

Finally, with or without the frame, most people will be using an AVR or Pre/Pro + Amp and monitor speakers anyway, so what you are complaining about is not relevant to most. Note, at least some (perhaps all) of the Kuros were monitors only. This is not new. Anyone who is willing to shell out this sort of cash is more likely than not to have a true sound system anyway, and not having one with a picture that is allegedly this good is criminal. So, most people who do not like the frame, can jettison it and simply use their separate sound system for sound, which they are probably going to use anyway.
mypretty1 likes this.
post #89 of 89 Old 07-03-2014, 10:48 AM

Agree.

And WAF is good.
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page