How does 720p/1080i Broadcast TV look on a 4K UHD TV? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 01-21-2014, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 497
I've seen the 4K UHD TV demos at stores with 4K content and it looks incredible even beyond my normal viewing distances, but does a 4K UHD TV provide a better picture when watching the regular 720p and 1080i broadcast or cable channels?

At one store i very briefly saw a salesman demonstrating a Blu-Ray movie on the Sony 4K UHD TV and i remember thinking that it looked about the same as on the 1080p TVs, certainly nothing like it does with actual 4K content.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 01-21-2014, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Which makes me wonder how 4K is going to be delivered. When everybody is producing 4K displays how are they going to differ between the entry level and the mid level and the high end sets? No dimming to edge lit dimming to full backlit dimming? Or does the 4K screen itself make so much difference that all levels will be wonderful? To me, whatever piece of electrical magic device that allows for up converting everything to 4K will be the difference.
post #3 of 3 Old 01-24-2014, 06:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: North of Mexico, South of Oregon, Not as far east as Vegas
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy sullivan View Post

Which makes me wonder how 4K is going to be delivered. When everybody is producing 4K displays how are they going to differ between the entry level and the mid level and the high end sets? No dimming to edge lit dimming to full backlit dimming? Or does the 4K screen itself make so much difference that all levels will be wonderful? To me, whatever piece of electrical magic device that allows for up converting everything to 4K will be the difference.
Just like their is good 1080 and bad 1080 4k will be the same. Higher resolution doesn't guarantee a better picture and don't expect entry level price sets for awhile.

"Bring out yer dead!".."Wait I'm not dead yet!"..(Sound Austrian here) "WRONG !!" (You know what happens next..)
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General