Question about OLED not being industry standard - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 01-22-2014, 08:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Guys, I read something like this about a year ago from some poster on the net;

The truth about why OLED isn't usually used professionally is because it is very expensive to make and use content that takes proper and full advantage of the very wide color gamut and huge contrast of OLED.
There's is much comfort with sRGB limitation since it's cheaper.

sRGB content appears "off" because the OLED display is basically interpolating the limited data of colors and contrast

Is this correct?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-22-2014, 11:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 544
OLED is used professionally in many (most?) broadcast trucks and facilities at this point. Sony sells broadcast-quality monitors that replaced their old CRTs (which have become pretty obsolete in the digital era) and those are used worldwide.

So I have no idea what this means.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working.
post #3 of 9 Old 01-23-2014, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Once professional folks replace their CRT monitors, most of them will buy a OLED monitor. SO there is at least one place were OLED stuff becomes the standard smile.gif
post #4 of 9 Old 01-24-2014, 08:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post

OLED is used professionally in many (most?) broadcast trucks and facilities at this point. Sony sells broadcast-quality monitors that replaced their old CRTs (which have become pretty obsolete in the digital era) and those are used worldwide.

So I have no idea what this means.

but why is there barely any push outside sRGB/Rec 709 content (color space/gamut) w/c doesn't take advantage of the OLED's color space.

Are there any strong evidence that OLED is indeed more professionally used than Adobe RGB panels (afaik OLED is capable of more than that).

@8mile13

Oh, so CRT is still the "it" thing? Any evidence of this?

I hope someone could help me learn more.

Color Space
What is the maximum color space that BluRays are capable of using
Is bandwidth a limitation (HDMI)
true 6 bit and 8 bit.

This was kind of helpful to me:
post #5 of 9 Old 01-24-2014, 10:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 544
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubers View Post

but why is there barely any push outside sRGB/Rec 709 content (color space/gamut) w/c doesn't take advantage of the OLED's color space.

I don't understand what you're asking. Content that's broadcast is done in Rec. 709. That's the standard.
Quote:
Are there any strong evidence that OLED is indeed more professionally used than Adobe RGB panels (afaik OLED is capable of more than that).

In TV production? This is just one example: http://broadcastengineering.com/remoteob/tndv-adds-sony-oled-monitors-mobile-production-trucks

But there are many places where the Sony OLEDs are deployed. They're only a couple of years old, so they aren't exactly ubiquitous, but they are getting quite popular.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working.
post #6 of 9 Old 01-25-2014, 01:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Quote:

Because all the current delivery mechanisms are designed for BT.709. (Broadcast/Blu-ray/etc.)
When you are mastering content, you have to master to a standard spec.
You cannot master content to a specific display (e.g. your OLED monitor) because it will look wrong on every other display out there.
Quote:

With photo/print editing, you control the entire output chain yourself.
Your output gamut is only limited by the printer that you are using - you just need an ICC profile for it, which is basically a file that tells your editing software exactly what the output limitations are. (either provided by the print shop, or measured yourself if it's a printer you own)

Displays are individually profiled, so the software (e.g. Photoshop) knows exactly what its color gamut is, and can map the image values to it accordingly.
Because the display and the printer are both profiled (and often the camera too) the editing software is able to simulate the printed output, and you can edit your image to look its best on that one specific printer and paper type.

Print used to have the same gamut limitations as displays currently do, where you had to master your content to a specific spec too. (e.g. FOGRA, SWOP etc.) Well actually it depends where you're getting your printing done - it may still apply.
Quote:

What is the maximum color space that BluRays are capable of using
Well technically there is xvYCC to expand the gamut, and it is claimed that Sony's new "mastered in 4K" series of discs are taking advantage of this, but what I have seen suggests that there is not actually any worthwhile extended gamut information on these discs.
Quote:

true 6 bit and 8 bit.
Blu-rays are 8-bit.
Quote:

Is bandwidth a limitation (HDMI)
I think these limitations are because support for things like xvYCC and 10-bit or greater color were optional rather than being required, so not all players would be able to handle it.
tgm1024 likes this.
post #7 of 9 Old 01-25-2014, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubers 

Oh, so CRT is still the "it" thing? Any evidence of this?
I do not know that. Surely when there is not enough money available folks will stick with CRT monitors.The way i understand it CRT monitors are (were) highly regarded and (LED) LCd monitors were not considered to be good enough as replacement. OLED on the other hand is considered to be good enough/or even better than CRT. Therefor eventually OLED monitors will be the standard for professionals.
post #8 of 9 Old 01-27-2014, 03:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 207
At least someone will have sense enough to not make LCD their standard.
post #9 of 9 Old 04-09-2014, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for everyone's answers smile.gif Sorry for the late reply.
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page