Originally Posted by Mastagon
I was wondering if anyone could help me choose my tv. I'm a novice to TV technology, but I've decided that now's the time for me to get a new set and I've narrowed it down to three TV's based on affordability and what I'm looking for. They are:
Samsung F5300 Plasma: no smart, great price, great blacks, very reflective
Samsung F6300 LED: lots of smart, okay price, moderate blacks and brilliant though sometimes overblown colors, not reflective
Panasonci P60S60: good smart, steep price, bloody great blacks, though its reflective a dim set for light output
Okay, so I know you can't reduce everything to simple numbers, but from the F5300 as my cheapest option, the F6300 is $250 more and the P60 $500.
Yes, I've read review after review of how good the P60's blacks are. How its not a great bright room set, but its a stunning picture for the price. But imagine if you had a limited budget where you had to justify $1100 vs $1600. Nothing I've read has made the P60 sound $500 better than the 5300, and honestly I've spent hours researching and in front of both sets and while I admit the later set is a stronger performer, it doesn't strike me as THAT much better. To me, the F5300 is a great set and I can justify the expense from what I can see. But if its bad enough under my low lights, I'd be willing to sacrifice some blacks for the F6300. Then again, I'm basing my decision on my untrained eyes. Care to help?
P.S. If it helps, here's a bit about me:
The room specs:
- mid sized bachelor apartment (yes, I want a 60". This is important.)
- small windows/ easily controllable light
- I am the only person who'll be watching
Here are my specs:
- I watch action/superhero/anime/sci-fi
- all the visually stunning stuff
- light brown hair, 6" with a kind heart
- haha etc
Here's what I'm looking for
- picture quality/depth of black
- not lots of reflections, though this is not a deal breaker as my apartment is dark
Other thoughts are:
- off angle viewing is only moderately important (its a small apartment)
- I don't care about smart features.